Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The War Z: Under Fire on Steam

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

UPDATE 2: This is now posted on Steam's site for those seeking a refund:

Those who purchased the title via Steam and are unhappy with what they received may seek a refund by creating a ticket at our support site here: https://support.steampowered.com/newticket.php

UPDATE: According to Kotaku, The War Z has been removed from Steam although a listing for the game remains.

The War Z is under heavy fire from consumers on Valve's Steam gaming platform. According to a report on Develop-Online, players are alleging that the game has been released missing key features advertised on the Steam page and that it is in more of an 'alpha stage'. In response, Executive Producer Sergey Titov has taken to the Steam forums and altered the game's description on Steam.

“We've taken steps to correct this and format information presented on our Steam Store page in a way so it provides more clear information about game features that are present in the Foundation Release and what to expect in the coming weeks,” said Titov.

“We also want to extend our apologies to all players who misread information about game features.”

Check out the Steam forums for more.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• pookirpookir Member UncommonPosts: 72
    alpha for 15$? there will be war!
  • zanfirezanfire Member UncommonPosts: 969
    SHOCK...GASP! after tons of people here and on other sites sat there and told people these guys were scammers...they pull some crap like this....not a surprise in the slightist.
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Given how simple Funcom's statements were about TSW, it really makes the doublespeak that other companies use really stand out.

“We also want to extend our apologies to all players who misread information about game features.”

Nobody misread anything. They delivered misleading information. It's not even an apology. They're saying the problem is with all the people who read the information posted on the game and actually believed it*. Jerks.

** edit **
    I think this is a general problem with companies not being able to admit they did something wrong. It's really starting to get on my nerves.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022
    Lots of angry folks in that steam forum, and all I can say is it was shady business practices at best. 
  • ClaesClaes Member CommonPosts: 265

Really? That's what happened? It wasn't you who misled with false information?

• TheBigDRCTheBigDRC Member Posts: 162

Misread? Hard to misread it when the details are pretty clear on the damn list, that's not the players' fault.

. . . Misread. . . geez. image

You know what's fun about chaos? I do, but I won't tell.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Lol at misread

It said 400km2 maps they are 50km2

It said 100 players per server there are 50

Perhaps the numbers are in hexadecimal and the customers misread them?
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Hope valve sue the hell out of then
  • KaeriganKaerigan Member Posts: 689
    "Misread it"? What planet are these people from?

<childish, provocative and highly speculative banner about your favorite game goes here>

• AvatarBladeAvatarBlade Member UncommonPosts: 757
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Hope valve sue the hell out of then

Actually, this also goes to show how little research valve does in regards to games they put on their service. This is partly valve's fault too, as far as I'm concerned. You should test these things, before letting them go up on your shop.

• AvengorikAvengorik Member Posts: 15

Sergey is a pure liar.

Since october 15th hes been lying...

-Wasnt suppose to be a inventory wipe, yet here was one because of the massive items dupe and exploits. Ok many claims a wipe is normal in alpha and beta YES but it was Sergey who promsied first that there wouldnt be any.

-Game wasnt suppose to be pay to win its on the official game info YET now you can buy , 100 bullets c mags, which are 3 times the avarage ammos on normal magazine, you can bu yhealing items, tactical combat knife which is a great melee weapon, you can be drink/food, you can buy body armor, low grad eones yes but still an advantage over those without, you can also buy many kind of weapons attachment to help with aiming etc... So if thats not pay to win I really dont know what it is.

-The game main info clearly say that there wouldnt be ANY addional fees for the game other then for estetic items YET, they added fees for more clans slots and now they added a 4 hours revive once you die but you can buy a quick revive.

-Also he walwyas defend himself about the FALSE screeshots being showed since october 15th on the game website clearly showing zombie hordes, cars and such YET none of those are in game. HE CLAIMS, that those were not intended to be actual screenshots but scren art! YET  NEVER did the website had a note to explain any costumer that those feature were NOT in game yet but were part of a VISION.

-You all know that he lied about number of players on the server, the number of maps, the size of maps etc...and NOW he claims that it was the PEOPLE who didnt understand him. Im sorry but if I was about to add my game info on STEAM id much sure that those infos are CORRECT.  So once again he simply tried to boost the game`s sales.

I cannot sadly remember all his lies, ive been playing video game sfor 30 years and bought so many that ive lost the count but NEVER I repeat NEVER I felt so lied to by a gaming company.

YES the game isnt bad it could be a great game in the hands of a decent company, but right now its being lead by a guy who clearly wont hesitate to use any way he can find to lie and get as much money as he can from those who trust him.

BUT Im greatefull to all those including known websites who stood up to ask sergey lots of question and revealing what type of liar he is. I just hope that NEVER again wil lanother game company act this way to get our hard gained money.

I do wish STEAM will take the product away as a warning to all those that would attempt to use unethic ways to make money.

• marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912
    Will no longer buy. Was waiting for more news and this sealed it for me. 

• drtack1drtack1 Member UncommonPosts: 273

Yea...........I can't beleive they advertised the game as a finished product on Steam. It is not even remotely finished........you cant even spend your exp points on anything yet because the skill feature has not been implemented yet. Isnt that a core foundation  in every mmo?

They should be catching hell and they should be removed from Stream. I just cant stop thinking that once they see their sales peak and then drop off they will shut down the game. Such a sad way to treat the gaming community. 

• AvengorikAvengorik Member Posts: 15

My english isnt good enough to fully and correctly explain the whole situation, but its not about paying 50$ like I did or 15$ Its how this company got it.

if you want money from me dont lie to me be honest and sadly this is the HUGE problem with this company.

And its a shame because the ideas for the game are GREAT.

Lets hope that Another company will make a decent zombie MMORPG there is a HUGE audiance for it.

• RealPvPisFPSRealPvPisFPS Member Posts: 42
    I wonder if Steam has or is going to refund anyone. If a mass refund happens that would send the message loud and clear since that's all that companies seem to understand.
  • RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Given how simple Funcom's statements were about TSW, it really makes the doublespeak that other companies use really stand out.

Nobody misread anything. They delivered misleading information. It's not even an apology. They're saying the problem is with all the people who read the information posted on the game and actually believed it*. Jerks.

** edit **
    I think this is a general problem with companies not being able to admit they did something wrong. It's really starting to get on my nerves.

Lawyers generally don't advise ANY company to admit wrongdoing.  I blame the whole "misread" on the lawyers.  It's obvious they misrepresented what came with the steam purchase.  

Every company carries two buckets - one filled with water and the other gasoline.  When a fire starts, they pick which one to throw and man Day Z threw the bucket of gas right on it.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034
    Originally posted by DMKano

WarZ is a cash grab made on the coattails of DayZs success.

ScamZ - yep

Not even talking about all the poeple buying this game thinking it is Day Z because the names are so close...

• shinkanshinkan Member UncommonPosts: 240

I wouldnt give any money to that crook Sergey Titov if it was the only game out there. Even Comical Ali has more credibility than this guy.

• pookirpookir Member UncommonPosts: 72
    "Misread" is my favorite part, i just can't believe my eyes.
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

ok- i ve been following this game from day one. and did purchase it.

Iam not a hardcore player of the game- but they are NOT SCAMMERS, thats a pretty harsh word to use for a company to have delivered a product in development (as they have stated from day one) and i presume the people using this word had either fallen out with them, are juvenille or dont know much about the game.

the game has pretty much delivered what they said in the website packages- further more have listened to the WZ forums and player base .

the angry costumers not statisfied with this game for lack thereof  their liking n not beign educated aboutthe game will rage and will most likely be heard the most.

unfortunately as a company they will be force to acknowledge them and refund or put out a statement .

I read what they wrote on steam- and pretty much all is delivered-the video is pretty much the game as well.

I do think the Gold coins are a bit too high priced for purchase via steam but that is their choice you can get GC ingame from loot.

they stated in the steam site other features to come in the new year. I believe it.- beacouse so far everything they have spoken since September pre Alpha-they have deliverd!

this game is not for everyone- people should REALLY READ up on a game and do a bit of research before clicking the paypal button.

<.<

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

There is a simple way to solve this.

Someone have a screenshot of the featured page on steam and compare it to what was actually deliverd... That way we can simply see if it is a case of falsifed marketing or just misscommunication.

This have been a good conversation

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123

People keep saying they will support the game despite all these problems because it has some great idea's. What exactly are these great idea's?

I see nothing in the game that is anything but the standard kill zombies or be killed scenario. Except for the stuff you would think up in about 30secs when thinking of a zombie survival horror mmo what features are worth saving? It sounds to me that people are so desperate for something they are willing to put up with a lot of crap, this recent problem is a highlight. It is the same problem with all the WOW clones that come out. They don't offer anything new worthwhile investing it. They are simply WOW repackaged.

• wizyywizyy Member UncommonPosts: 629

I was in beta very briefly - it's not horrible as many think it is - and they added servers for 100 people (day before yesterday, I think).

The problem with this game (for me) is hard to describe - kinda unfinished at all things that matter in a shooter. I only wonder if they know how to fix it in a timely manner.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

I was reading this game's Steam forums yesterday.  It made for some good reading as I had my coffee. 

• SlothnChunkSlothnChunk Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by Avengorik

Lets hope that Another company will make a decent zombie MMORPG there is a HUGE audiance for it.

Undead Labs is working on a zombie MMO and they have proven MMO developers.