Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR expansion confirmed

Comments

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by Whitebeards
    Originally posted by superniceguy
    Originally posted by karmath
    When you buy this, keep in mind you are hurting the MMO genre more than you realise.

I wonder how i am going to sleep at night and look at myself in mirror for spending 10 bucks on entertainment..

Oh the humanity!!

It is more like $100 really (unless you quit and return when it is in), see above post

People who are going to contnue to sub have no qualms with it . Otherwise they would also stop subbing and move on. I was waiting for new content because there is nothign left me to do. But who am i to question anyones investment in the game they are enjoying? 10 or 100 bucks if people are enjoying it they will pay for it. 

SWTOR is just becoming a HUGE waste of money because other MMOs offer more for less, and in these times, more people will stop and move on.

If the game was B2P these things would be more acceptable, but it seems people are forgetting they are paying a $15 fee as well. For those waiting on this, will only cost them $20-$25 (if sub first before buying), instead of $100.

Also it seems people have forgotten that all this stuff was mentioned in June and said to be in before the end of 2012, or they are just new and haven't gotten through the content yet nor knew all this was mentioned before.

Also waiting on this new content and doing nothing, and throwing away $15 per month, does not sound like much enjoyment to me.

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

SWTOR is just becoming a HUGE waste of money because other MMOs offer more for less, and in these times, more people will stop and move on.

If the game was B2P these things would be more acceptable, but it seems people are forgetting they are paying a $15 fee as well. For those waiting on this, will only cost them $20-$25 (if sub first before buying), instead of $100.

Also it seems people have forgotten that all this stuff was mentioned in June and said to be in before the end of 2012, or they are just new and haven't gotten through the content yet nor knew all this was mentioned before.

Also waiting on this new content and doing nothing, and throwing away $15 per month, does not sound like much enjoyment to me.

Yah, kudos to SE, they admitted they screwed up and made new FF sub free until they fix the game.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Dear Lord please send Disney to the rescue, guess they don't even have a clue how much damage this game is doing to the entire IP

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778
    When you buy this, keep in mind you are hurting the MMO genre more than you realise.

I wonder how i am going to sleep at night and look at myself in mirror for spending 10 bucks on entertainment..

Oh the humanity!!

It is more like $100 really (unless you quit and return when it is in), see above post

People who are going to contnue to sub have no qualms with it . Otherwise they would also stop subbing and move on. I was waiting for new content because there is nothign left me to do. But who am i to question anyones investment in the game they are enjoying? 10 or 100 bucks if people are enjoying it they will pay for it. 

That is not for you or me to decide. And people who are paying 15 bucks  a month are not throwing away their money, i think that is obvious no? they are doing so because they are having fun in the game.

I am not currently subbed but i will surely get the new content because i like to play all type of MMOS.

Lets stop judging others on how and where they want to spend their cash.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Whatever happened to hey we had all this great content banked up and ready to release,  that old like told to us durring beta. 

Now its going to be another 3-5 more months. 

• pioneer08pioneer08 Member Posts: 76
    Originally posted by mikahr

Oh the humanity!!

And people wonder why most of the world is in 5th year of crisis.

Hang on let me get this...the world is not in crisis becauses of taxes, spending, entitlement, rogue nations, or poorly ran governments? Its in crisis becauae people enjoy a video game you clearly have an enormous issue with? Its in crisis because those who enjoy it are ok spending $10 on it? No little friends the world is not in crisis because of people enjoying SWTOR. I understand the haters and thosewho have bashed this game for along time are in damage control but your post could very well be the most ignorant one yet.
  • SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

That smacks of "you aren't listening to me so you are wrong".

Are you some kind of qualified clairvoyant? 

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
     Perhaps it would not get so much criticism if they would just called it dlc. Just a thought!
  • hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123

Oh the humanity!!

The popuation in the game is good, and growing everyday, same with the subs number.  And still we will get new content update every six weeks or so till the launch of the new expansion. 

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Looking forward to trying this out. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    Aside from these forums what other sites discuss MMOs. I am getting a bit tired of seeing the threads here and the remarks I am inadvertently reading while looking for interesting discussions.

I will buy this expansion probably. I am currently subbed.
    Chamber of Chains
  • mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by Normandy7
     Perhaps it would not get so much criticism if they would just called it dlc. Just a thought!

It would get all the criticism as long as they want any mnoey on top of the sub for it, since they clearly stated content updates will be free to subs.

Thats why it was simply renamed to...."expansion".

• pioneer08pioneer08 Member Posts: 76

It would get all the criticism as long as they want any mnoey on top of the sub for it, since they clearly stated content updates will be free to subs.

Its labeled and expansion because that is what it is. They have announced some of the features and will be announcing more. Its funny to watch these people who cant admit they were wrong when they said there will never be an expansion, never a level cap, never a continuation of the story. You people were wrong on all fronts. Suck it up and come to the fact SWTOR is doing fine and your bias uneducated rants wont change anything except how people view your inability to comprehend a lot of people enjoy this game and the game is continuing to add new content and players.
  • VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

I like expansions but I am a bit concerned about them completely resetting the endgame. It look them a year just to get from anemic to reasonable in the amount of content they have. I would rather not go though all that again. I hope they find a way to keep the existing Ops useful but I wont hold my breath on that.

I am also not thrilled about it being a hutt themed expansion. Nar Shaada was one of my least favorite planets.

All die, so die well.

• JKwervoJKwervo Member Posts: 126
    Originally posted by pioneer08

Its labeled and expansion because that is what it is. They have announced some of the features and will be announcing more. Its funny to watch these people who cant admit they were wrong when they said there will never be an expansion, never a level cap, never a continuation of the story. You people were wrong on all fronts. Suck it up and come to the fact SWTOR is doing fine and your bias uneducated rants wont change anything except how people view your inability to comprehend a lot of people enjoy this game and the game is continuing to add new content and players.

1. No CLASS story continuation. So your many ALTS have to go through the same exact story. LOL

2. Makeb was initially supposed to be a content update which was free for subplayers and now...it's a DLC.. I mean LOL "Expansion."

3. You may enjoy the game, a lot may enjoy the game. That doesn't mean people can stop criticizing it for the really shallow and money grubbing direction it's going into.

Point is, it's not a true expansion. Calling it an expansion makes the the whole definition of expansion tarnished. Want a true expansion? Look at RIFT. Or hell, if you want TRUE content updates? Look at TSW. THEY transistioned to B2P, and it was one of the best transistions I've seen from a MMO. Funcom shut me up from my constant critique of them, and I really have no complaints regarding that game, animations aside.

But I will reserve my judgement on this "expansion" because it won't be released until Spring. Honestly, I just think they waited so long because they downsized and it takes longer to get that shit pushed out with a smaller staff.

I just like how people seem to forget the failed promises Bioware had told them, and now they got Schubert running around using political garbage convincing everyone that it was the direction all along.

• RocketeerRocketeer Member UncommonPosts: 1,303
    Originally posted by VikingGamer

I like expansions but I am a bit concerned about them completely resetting the endgame. It look them a year just to get from anemic to reasonable in the amount of content they have. I would rather not go though all that again. I hope they find a way to keep the existing Ops useful but I wont hold my breath on that.

I am also not thrilled about it being a hutt themed expansion. Nar Shaada was one of my least favorite planets.

This. One of the best things Turbine did was to scale old instances during the level process right to max level. Yeah sure it where the same old rehashed instances, but thats still better than NO level appropiate instances at all. I hope SWToR doesn't just try to reboot the whole endgame, cause frankly they can't if their current release speed is anything to go by. 

Also does anyone see the irony in the naming and theme of their expansion?

Cartel Market --> F2P Shop system, carefully getting wet feet with selling P2W items(resellable Ship gear in shop cheaper than crafted)

Rise of the Hutt Cartel --> Should i be getting worried here? Is the Hutt part supposed to calm me?

• Jerek_Jerek_ Member Posts: 409
    Originally posted by Skuz

That smacks of "you aren't listening to me so you are wrong".

Are you some kind of qualified clairvoyant? 

I agree with Karmath, It sounds extreme but I think it's the truth.  Years ago EA clearly adopted the mentality common in big business-  that their job is to maximize profits at any cost.  This way of thinking allows them to ignore their reputation, use unethical business practices, and hurt their consumers.  They are a gaming and entertainment company, they should be focused on making great games that people love to play and spend tons of money on.  They of course should be focused on making a profit but they have lost sight of the product they are selling to try and generate that money. 

The result is the current condition of their stock prices and the reputation they have with their customers.  By continueing to support SWTOR you are hurting yourself, other MMO players, game developers, and you are even helping EA to destory themselves.  They got themselves in trouble by focusing more on money than games, and they are clearly doubling down with SWTOR.

In no way is this about the $10 for the expansion alone.  Its every dollar from preorder to now and every dollar I would have spent in the future.  Its even about the money I've spent on other bioware games in the past.  With games like wow or rift, I never ever have to justify the money I spend to myself and I don't see topics like this come up like they do with EA games.  I spend tons of money on wow for example, and once its spent I never think about it again because they don't push the boundries of screwing me on every transaction.  Even with cataclysm I didn't feel screwed-  they delivered my money's worth I just didn't care for the content.  But with EA games, dlcs, cash shops and 'expansions' I feel taken advantage of almost every time, so I'm always conscious of the price.

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677
    Originally posted by BigAndShiny

"SW:TOR will never get any meaningful content updates"

SW:TOR gets expnsion. 

"It's not a proper expansion"

WAY TO CHANGE THE F****** parameters of the argument, guys.

I did lol at this. The expansion is ten dollars. I spend more than that on coffee every day. If ten dollars breaks you, you need a new job. I am hopeful that this expansion adds quite a few hours of content so I will pick this up.

Originally posted by catlana

I did lol at this. The expansion is ten dollars. I spend more than that on coffee every day. If ten dollars breaks you, you need a new job. I am hopeful that this expansion adds quite a few hours of content so I will pick this up.

so did I.  compaining that forum users changed the fucking parameters of the argument when the developer changed the description of makeb from biggest content update ever to expansion?  that is funny.  As for the hours of content you hope for, I'm sure it will have it.  But what about endgame content?  I really doubt they made an entire new set of flashpoints, ops, and dailies for 55.  That means we will see a bit of new stuff, and the existing endgame content bumped up to 55.

$10 is not the problem - 1) The content was intended to be free, and 2) It was stated to be in game before the end of 2012.

Therefore by the time it gets in about June 2012, you would have spent about $90 more on sub fees, plus now this = $100, with little to no other content in the meantime.

"Other new features and content was also teased for the online-only game including a new HK-51 android companion, a new planet called Makeb, new space missions, flashpoints and a level cap; raise all of which will be implemented before the end of 2012."

If the stuff was brand new, then it would be only $10, and would have been an expansion, whilst makeb etc was added on top.

If $10 is OK for you then maybe you could send EA $10 for the Heroic space missions  and some of the other stuff too, that has already been added. If it is not OK for you, then maybe you see the point.

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314

$10 is not the problem - 1) The content was intended to be free, and 2) It was stated to be in game before the end of 2012.

Therefore by the time it gets in about June 2012, you would have spent about $90 more on sub fees, plus now this = $100, with little to no other content in the meantime.

"Other new features and content was also teased for the online-only game including a new HK-51 android companion, a new planet called Makeb, new space missions, flashpoints and a level cap; raise all of which will be implemented before the end of 2012."

If the stuff was brand new, then it would be only $10, and would have been an expansion, whilst makeb etc was added on top.

If $10 is OK for you then maybe you could send EA $10 for the Heroic space missions  and some of the other stuff too, that has already been added. If it is not OK for you, then maybe you see the point.

I dont see how people think that giving this stuff away will at all benefit the developer.

Would you still want the expansion for free if they came out and said that they would have to shut down their serves because they just cant sustain them anymore because they are not getting enouh revenue?

I mean, cmon. How much of a hint do you need?

I personally dont want the servers to go down, Im gladly paying for the expansion.

Originally posted by birdycephon

I dont see how people think that giving this stuff away will at all benefit the developer.

Would you still want the expansion for free if they came out and said that they would have to shut down their serves because they just cant sustain them anymore because they are not getting enouh revenue?

I personally dont want the servers to go down, Im gladly paying for the expansion.

They are not giving it away for free, you are paying $15 per month for it.

It is the same stuff they have been banging on about all year that was going to be added for free, within your $15

If it was new stuff it would be worth paying for, as they have shown they have been hard at work on the game and commited to its future. Instead they repackage up already written content and sell it as an expansion.

They are only charging for this, to get as much money to pay back what they paid to create the game, and then servers will be shut down regardless. They are making SWTOR players pay for their mistakes.

They are turning SWTOR into the biggest con of MMO gaming.

Originally posted by birdycephon

There are aspects of the game I love like duo'ing with my son or doing flashpoints with friends, but yah I guess I'm willing to see the servers close if it means showing the industry that constant nickel and diming will kill their games.  It would be nice if it didn't come to that.  

Through their actions this month EA gained $10 from you and lost $30 a month from me.  I know plenty of people feel they have been pushed to far and won't continue to pay and plenty of others like you will be ok with it, I guess we have to wait until febuary or march to see how it goes.

• mistmakermistmaker Member UncommonPosts: 321

you shouldnt be billed for content updates in sub games, that is what paying a sub is for. perhaps some companies think, 15 dollars is just the fee for using the servers....

just my opinion, and i am someone who would even pay 30 dollars for a really good (sandbox) game per month. i prefer paying for a game for gamers than a game for milking money

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677

Priorities change on every single major project. Wow was originally going to add dance studios, Blizz dropped the idea completely to focus on other areas. Bioware has decided that they for whatever reason have to delay the Makeb content until the expansion. Furthermore, Bioware wants a gate to new story based content for f2p players. Otherwise, there would be no incentive from story only f2p players to pay anything.

Now, I am disappointed in the delay on Makeb arriving. However, I will still have fun playing with friends and family in the new Warzone and flashpoints until Makeb is released. If the game becomes not fun then I will stop playing. I am not going to get worked up over ten dollars. My trip for diner and the Hobbit with family cost several orders of magnitude more than that.

If you go looking for insults, you will always find them. If you have a negative outlook on life, negative events will always occur to you. Positive outlook means sometimes you will be disappointed, but you will enjoy life a lot more.