Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 Gamespot's PC game of the year

Comments

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551
    When SW:TOR gets praised on the site it's because EA paid off the developers yet when GW2 gets praise, it's legit :P
  • YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

Who said the game sucks?

I'm pretty sure the majority of people who aren't just trying to push other's buttons say it's a good or great game, just not worthy of the praise it gets (in their opinions).

It's very well made and you see the time spent on it as you progress through the maps, events and story.  I still have a blast with the game, but then again I still don't have a max level character.  I just enjoy taking strolls in a fantasy setting, in plate/chain armor, and act like a mercenary of sorts protecting caravans and get rewarded for doing such.

In my opinion it definitely is one of the better online fantasy RPGs to come out in the past five years or so.  Perhaps so worthy of  the multiple awards given by all these sites.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • RudedawgCDNRudedawgCDN Member UncommonPosts: 507

It might very well be a great game for some.

Personally I don't like "hamster wheel" pvp.

• janjanahmetjanjanahmet Member CommonPosts: 7
    Guild Wars 2 GREAT GAME.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

When I first played it, I'd have agreed with this. Now that I'm done with it though? I can hardly remember anything about it. There are other games (like mass effect 3) that I remember every single detail about. Only games that leave a lasting impression should be considered for game of the year, at least thats how I feel.

*don't flame the ME3 point please trolls.. I know there were bad things about that game by the end but the journey was a good one (my opinion).

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Originally posted by Pilnkplonk

http://www.gamespot.com/shows/best-of-2012-videos/?event=pc_winner20121217

Yeah, the game definitely sucks.

So you feel vindicated that your choice of gaming is a good one? need outside help to choose wisely? do you find it difficult to make gaming decisions? have you chastised others for critiscising your beloved, spent time in other gaming forums where you have no reason to be there other than to put down those gamers choice of game and now feel again vindicated you did such a thing? more of a sheep than a Commander Shephard? (Mass Effect reference for Vannor there image)

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

lol game of the year..

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Vannor

When I first played it, I'd have agreed with this. Now that I'm done with it though? I can hardly remember anything about it. There are other games (like mass effect 3) that I remember every single detail about. Only games that leave a lasting impression should be considered for game of the year, at least thats how I feel.

*don't flame the ME3 point please trolls.. I know there were bad things about that game by the end but the journey was a good one (my opinion).

Not flaming, but I personally thought ME3 was shit and GW2 was memorable.

Personally I hate Rift, but there are others who swear it is the best MMO out there. 

Different games suit different people. Personal game rankings will always be subjective. Although you can't really argue with the popularity of a game. 

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718

That is the PC version.

You can still vote for the people choice award.

Vote fo Super Mario to win People Choice for Best Game of The Year.

http://us.gamespot.com/best-of-2012/peoples-choice/index.html

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• GreyhooffGreyhooff Member Posts: 654

For people who like MMOs, richly deserved win for GW2, it's the best MMO out there by far.

For people who don't play MMOs, they would likely prefer Torchlight 2, or Far Cry 3 or something.

Having 1 game of the year that spans all categories/genres is a bit strange, but I guess the oscars do the same thing so...

• ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810
    Originally posted by Greyhooff

For people who like MMOs, richly deserved win for GW2, it's the best MMO out there by far.

For people who don't play MMOs, they would likely prefer Torchlight 2, or Far Cry 3 or something.

Having 1 game of the year that spans all categories/genres is a bit strange, but I guess the oscars do the same thing so...

wow, just throwing that opinion out there.  It wouldn't even scratch my top 5 of best mmo's out currently.  Let alone take #1.  Different strokes for different folks.

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778
    Originally posted by Pilnkplonk

http://www.gamespot.com/shows/best-of-2012-videos/?event=pc_winner20121217

Yeah, the game definitely sucks.

Aren't you the same guy who said EA pays money to get awards and good reviews? ;)

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by Greyhooff

Some would disagree with the above but obviously it's just your opinion. It's like me and AOW at the moment, i love the game but it's just my opinion.image

• volvoxaureusvolvoxaureus Member Posts: 27
    if it is the best mmo ever made why it doesn't have the numbers that wow has, i mean the number of players, even it is only b2p not p2p ???!!!?!?!?!?!?
  • hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    Originally posted by SuperXero89
    When SW:TOR gets praised on the site it's because EA paid off the developers yet when GW2 gets praise, it's legit :P

This. However GW2 being best Game of the year it doesnt change the fact that the population drop of active players is huge.  

• volvoxaureusvolvoxaureus Member Posts: 27
    Originally posted by hikaru77

This. However GW2 being best Game of the year it doesnt change the fact that the population drop of active players is huge.  

so here is my dilema why is droping if  it is a strong game ??

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

The assertion that there's a huge drop in the population doesn't make it a fact. GW2 is designed for people to come and go, like for this Wintersday season where overflows abound. A large number of us remain daily players, some are "seasonal", coming back mainly for events and to check out updates, and there are those who jump around game to game, stopping in briefly on occassion. There are also, of course, those that came and went never to return.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692
    Originally posted by volvoxaureus
    if it is the best mmo ever made why it doesn't have the numbers that wow has, i mean the number of players, even it is only b2p not p2p ???!!!?!?!?!?!?

Because the word best by itself is a subjective word.  WoW is the most popular and there is no denying more play it than any other game, but that doesn't mean it is the "Best".  Again that is purely subjective because to me, GW2 is boring and WoW is the biggest POS every coded and put onto a computer.  

People will play what they like and it is up to the individual to decide what is best for them.  Anyone that needs outside gratification or the reinforcement of having some magazine/TV program/website tell them that their game is the best of the year has deeper problems that need addressed. 

Now relax and let's discuss your relationship with... GW2.

• BrooksTechBrooksTech Member Posts: 163
    What a shame... GW2, for me, was/is nothing but forgettable.
  • SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Originally posted by BrooksTech
    What a shame... GW2, for me, was/is nothing but forgettable.

I agree, this whole year has been forgettable with regards to PC gaming, even games like XCOM which I liked really are quite shallow and boring, same with GW2.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by SuperXero89 When SW:TOR gets praised on the site it's because EA paid off the developers yet when GW2 gets praise, it's legit :P

Whatever population drop it's had and whatever the opinions of some on this site or any other doesn't change the fact that it was selected as Gamespot's PC game of the year.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762
    Originally posted by Yaevindusk

Who said the game sucks?

I'm pretty sure the majority of people who aren't just trying to push other's buttons say it's a good or great game, just not worthy of the praise it gets (in their opinions)...

QFT. It doesn't suck, but I would never say it's worthy of PC game of the year. For me it definitely got tedius after a couple of weeks. I'm just burned out on thempark MMOs, as it seems most folks on these forums are.

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Pyuk
    Originally posted by Yaevindusk

Who said the game sucks?

I'm pretty sure the majority of people who aren't just trying to push other's buttons say it's a good or great game, just not worthy of the praise it gets (in their opinions)...

QFT. It doesn't suck, but I would never say it's worthy of PC game of the year. For me it definitely got tedius after a couple of weeks. I'm just burned out on thempark MMOs, as it seems most folks on these forums are.

Most of the people on this forum, seem to have the opinion that what they think a game should have should be in it and if not it is junk. Just because you want something doesn't mean it is good (example - player generated quests).

It is easy to arm chair quarterback, which we all do on this forum, it is harder to actually be involved with the work.

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

Realistically they should have categories. FPS, Console, MMO etc. Then the assertion that game X is the best game of the year might (might) be more realistic.

GW2 might very well have been the best MMO this year (or not) but stacking it generically with EVERY game is far too generic a system.

As as aside:

GW2 for me was fun for 6-7 weeks. I'll likely go back and tinker for a day or two (B2P ftw in that sense) but quite honestly I don't even care to log in and see the Winter event atm.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Enjoy "Winter's what ever" I'll be at the zombie apocolypse with reticle combat trying out new weapons and abilities.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"