Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ultima Online: Atlantic Server Hit with Two Week Rollback

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The Ultima Online team has announced that the Atlantic server has been rolled back to a December 5th server-side save. The rollback was necessary due to "issues beyond our control" and a more current save was not available because of corruption issues. Players on the Atlantic server have been compensated with 30-days of free game time.

Due to issues beyond our control, I am sorry to have to inform all of Atlantic that we had to revert to a Dec 5, 2012 7:00 am EST back up. We have tried to retrieve a more current back up but we have been unable to do so due to corruption issues. We are very sorry this has happened and any Atlantic player that is being impacted by this revert will be compensated with 30 days free game time. If you are having any issues with Vet Rewards or In game codes please page a GM. They will be able to assist you with this matter but please provide what vet reward/code was claimed and by what character to help us confirm your request faster.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SimsuSimsu Member UncommonPosts: 386

I've been hit by a rollback or two in all the years of MMO gaming and I can honestly say that I've never once been happy with the compensation...

I think we can all agree that the best solution would be not to rollback in the first place, but in leu of that who's to say someone didn't play a ton during those two weeks because they were on break and now they have no time to play. Is a single weekend day worth the same as a single weekday?

I got nothing constructive to add... Hope none of the UO players got severely hit by this.

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796

I honestly thought rollbacks were a thing of the past.  Disappointing to read things like that.  I'm going to assume there's more to the story that we'll never hear about.

OT, sorry to those that were hit with this.  Trying to remember the last time I was hit with a rollback..

• IshkalIshkal Member UncommonPosts: 304
    people still play?!!!!?
  • RhomsRhoms Member UncommonPosts: 174
    Ouch!  I haven't played UO since around 2000, but it was a great game.  Rollbacks always suck for the players.  I wonder how this could possibly happen.

Current game: Pillars of Eternity

Played: UO, AC, Eve, Fallen Earth, Aion, GW, GW2 

Tried: WOW, Rift, SWTOR, ESO 

Future: Camelot Unchained?  Crowfall?  Bless?

• DarkVagabondDarkVagabond Member UncommonPosts: 340
    Originally posted by Simsu

Hope none of the UO players got severely hit by this.

Supposedly, if someone had done a server transfer inbetween those two weeks their entire characters were basically blank slated and they can't do anything about it.

• darkmandarkman Member UncommonPosts: 767

I've been hit by a rollback or two in all the years of MMO gaming and I can honestly say that I've never once been happy with the compensation...

I think we can all agree that the best solution would be not to rollback in the first place, but in leu of that who's to say someone didn't play a ton during those two weeks because they were on break and now they have no time to play. Is a single weekend day worth the same as a single weekday?

I got nothing constructive to add... Hope none of the UO players got severely hit by this.

You make it sound like a game company wants to roll back. There's no rosy solution that's going to please anyone once this happens. It is what it is.

• PyrostasisPyrostasis Member UncommonPosts: 2,293
    Originally posted by darkman

You make it sound like a game company wants to roll back. There's no rosy solution that's going to please anyone once this happens. It is what it is.

The issue is 2 week rollback. On a game like this having the last good fall back being 2 weeks from an IT stand point is just a MASSIVE failling in their backup policy. Just cause the game was released in the 90's doesnt mean we need to be using the same technology to protect the games backups!

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

Since it was released in the 90s you are lucky you have any technology to backup at all lol.

What's going to happen when an mmo is still around that was released as many years ago as the age you started playing them?  Won't that just seem odd? 

• DenambrenDenambren Member UncommonPosts: 399

Ouch.

I'd suggest abandoning any game that can't do proper server backups, but then the few people who do play UO are probably only the most dedicated of vets who've been there for a decade+ and just can't leave.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

I'd like to point out that they do note that later backups were corrupt, most likley as a part of the issue that caused the roll-back to begin with.

So it is not so much about them not having good savepoints as the fecal matter hitting the cooling device at such an angle that there was not saving it.

I feel for anyone who got their char wiped... It is a shitty feeling.

This have been a good conversation

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

@ the people complaining and saying its bad  business or whatever..

Things go wrong.. I am sure they had backup blans in place with offsite backups or the backups.. but if sotmhing goes wrong thats it nothing you can do..

You can plan all you want but there will always be that noe time where all your plans fail you..

At least they have given people a months worth of free game time back.. maybe they should have offered a few more days as a gift or somthing..