Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 or Vanguard: SOH

AnslemAnslem Member CommonPosts: 215

First: I love this community.  People are helpful without being obnoxiously coddling or foolishly rude.  That's a balance hard to meet. 

Anyway I got soe good suggestions a month or so ago about finding a new game and I think I've narrowed it down to two:

GW2 and Vanguard: SOH.

Watched countless videos of both last night. 

With GW2 being B2P I have concerns that there's an online store where I can have the option to purchase things to better my toon?  I'd personaly just rather pay the monthly subscription fee rather than mess around in a game shop.

Vanguard seems to have a steep learning curve, and I'm unsre of it's player base.

I like a healthy blend of PvP and PvE and like to be able to solo some quests when necessary.

My only requirement is no panda bears. 

I'm a veteran of UO and WoW and spent a few months on other MMOs that didn't hold my attention for various reasons.  I think a huge problem is that I am constantly trying to find a game to replicate the experiences I had in UO which were amazing!

Also UO had no pandas.  ;)

Thanks in advance for the help.  I have two weeks off for holiday break starting Thursday and am anxious to spend some of it relaxing in front of a new MMO. 

-Sel

Played: Ultima Online - DaoC - WoW -

Comments

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778

I would say VG SOH. If you are old school or new doesn't matter. This MMO has everything that people complain about on these forums and want in their MMOS. Big open world, no instances, no loading screens..open dungeons, deep crafting, diplomacy etc.

I just wish more people would play it.

• gordiflugordiflu Member UncommonPosts: 757

I have not played GW2, since I am not interested in what it offers, but I did play VG very intensively (first world kills and all that), so I ll give you some input about this game, trying to be objective and honest althought I loved the game to death.

Bad points:

- Low population. It's an old niche game. The massive size of the world adds to it. Look for an active guild if you want to enjoy the game.

- Bad engine. Performance is just acceptable, but not actually good.

- Grindy once you get to the end game. Not becouse there's little to do, but becouse you need to do it over and over to complete certain stuff.

- Old game. Graphics can't compete with the latest games.

Good points:

- Insane amount of content. The world is massive.

- Depth. Deeper than virtually any modern MMO.

- Good crafting system that actually matters.

- Excellent community.

- Diversity. Lots of different classes, races and feasable builds. Many classes have different sub-classes available.

Poins that are good or bad depending on what kind of players you are.

- No PVP.

- Challenge. The game is not easy. Reasonable death penalties.

- Group oriented. While you can solo your way to level cap, grouping is way more profitable, even when it comes to farming crafting materials. Most end game content is group content. Holy trinity plus crowd control beeing very important. Backup healing and buffers very welcome for most content.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

Apples and oranges IMO. It really depends on what you're looking for. For example, if you like getting better stats, GW2 is not for you. If you like PvP, VG is not for you. And so on.

That being said, GW2's cash shop is almost too useless, unless you like collecting mini pets and other junk.

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778
    Originally posted by Scalpless
    Apples and oranges IMO. It really depends on what you're looking for. For example, if you like getting better stats, GW2 is not for you. If you like PvP, VG is not for you. And so on.

Umm..after the recent changes if you like better stats GW2 is for you. However VG as you said isn't about PVP. 

• ViperHoundzViperHoundz Member Posts: 46

Like the above posters said two toally different game. I am playing vanguard now and love it. Healer is madamz ( telon server) tank is bastads (telon server) If you need ANYTHING PM me. I can mentor down and help you,

You won't find a better community  - Vanguard is top notch.

It truly is a game I'd suggest you download and form your own opinion. it is a love /hate relationship with mmo'ers

• judex99judex99 Member UncommonPosts: 392

Easy question, if you have a group of friends to play with VG is the best option, the group content there will make the journey very very fun, if you dont have that group of friends then GW2 for sure, its much more accesible and enjoyable froma  solo pov and its easy to interact with other people than VG.

Just for the record, played both till max level and enjoying WvW warfare atm in GW2.

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885

I've played both but Vanguard i've played for nearly six years and have mulitple level characters with four at max level.

World

GW2. has a nice looking world and some great graphic, even the avid disliker of the game has to admit that. It's a big world full of things to do but IMO it lack that feeling of belonging to a world.

Vanguard. has a vast open world with no instances,GW2 is no where near as big as Vanguard or as varied. I can go anywhere in Vanguard, no where is blocked off. The graphic are still very nice for a 6 year old game.

Crafting. Vanguards crafting system makes GW2 look like a kids card game, their is no depth to GW2 crafdting. Vanguards crafting is a whole other sphere, it takes just as long to level up as adveturing and iut takes you all over the vast world of telon. Items have player names on them and some crafted items a nearly on par with top dungeon items

Diplomacy    http://wiki.silkyvenom.com/index.php/Diplomacy

Content. GW2 has quite a bit of content but Vanguard has a vast amount of content, so much so that you could not see it all on one character over a two year period.

Races. 

Vanguard 19 

GW2 5

Classes

Vanguard 15 with the some being multiple classes none are copy and paste all are different with 3 different stances.

GW2 8

Housing

Vanguard has open world housing.

GW2 None.

Ships

Vanguard has many different ships.

GW2 None

Mounts

Vanguard has over 40 different land mounts and numerous flying mounts

GW2 None.

Dungeons

Vanguard has over 90 dungeons, all are non instance and some will take you a week to complete because they span many levels.

GW2 has 11 group dungeons and numerous small caves, i actually think it's okay but no where near what vanguard has or as hard and interesting.

Starting Areas

Vanguard has 15 different starting areas although you can staret on the isle or one of the revamped starting areas.

GW2 has 5

PVE Vanguard is a PVE game and has a vast amount of PVE, GW2 does not come close.

PVP GW2 wins

Vanguard if you want a deep content rich old school MMO that you can live in. GW2 if you want a quick fix that get';s boring real fast.

You might want to join us in this game from tomorrow http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/749/view/forums/forum/1250/General-Discussion.html

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

Since Vanguard is F2P, you could just download it and see for yourself. GW2 isn't going anywhere.

Originally posted by Whitebeards
    Originally posted by Scalpless

Umm..after the recent changes if you like better stats GW2 is for you. However VG as you said isn't about PVP. 

Nah, it's just a single dungeon. Not worth buying a game for. Besides, they're supposedly making Ascended gear easier to obtain and introducing it everywhere else, so the little gear treadmill GW2 has should dissipate soon enough.

• sylentnytesylentnyte Member UncommonPosts: 68
    I personally love vanguard, and dont think you could possibly find a better looking or more immersive world. The community is also great!
  • mbojan75mbojan75 Member UncommonPosts: 8

I played both.

GW2 for a week, VSOH for a year.

GW2 was boring and easy, and im casual player (few hours a week).

VSOH was everything i was looking in a game.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Selyse

First: I love this community.  People are helpful without being obnoxiously coddling or foolishly rude.  That's a balance hard to meet. 

Anyway I got soe good suggestions a month or so ago about finding a new game and I think I've narrowed it down to two:

With GW2 being B2P I have concerns that there's an online store where I can have the option to purchase things to better my toon?  I'd personaly just rather pay the monthly subscription fee rather than mess around in a game shop.

Vanguard seems to have a steep learning curve, and I'm unsre of it's player base.

I like a healthy blend of PvP and PvE and like to be able to solo some quests when necessary.

I'm a veteran of UO and WoW and spent a few months on other MMOs that didn't hold my attention for various reasons.  I think a huge problem is that I am constantly trying to find a game to replicate the experiences I had in UO which were amazing!

Thanks in advance for the help.  I have two weeks off for holiday break starting Thursday and am anxious to spend some of it relaxing in front of a new MMO. 

-Sel

At this point I would say take the middle road and try EQ2.

The breadth (in terms diversity) and depth (in terms of quantity) of it's content are hard to match and it has a robust sub model that allows you to play with no hassle and even gives you some SC each month to spend on the odd treat from the shop.

It has a great community and caters for solo, small group, and raid play.

I like VG, and even GW2 as a single player RPG, but neither of them are simple as much fun to me as EQ2.

• tort0429tort0429 Member UncommonPosts: 297
    Originally posted by Vesavius

-Sel

The breadth (in terms diversity) and depth (in terms of quantity) of it's content are hard to match and it has a robust sub model that allows you to play with no hassle and even gives you some SC each month to spend on the odd treat from the shop.

I like VG, and even GW2 as a single player RPG, but neither of them are simple as much fun to me as EQ2.

^ Agree with this 100%.  I recently went back to EQ2 and I am reminded how much fun it is and how much other MMO's lack.  Some of it really blows my mind.   The 3 leveling systems (adventure lvlng via the usually killing creatures and completing quests) the achievement system (from discoveries and special quetss) and Tradeskill leveling (from crafting).  The game allows you to have in so many ways, I'm having a blast.  But to be honest, nothing was better then meeting up with old Guild mates and grouping/raiding again.  Fun and friendship, the two things MMO's lack these days, eq2 still has it.

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by Vesavius

-Sel

The same applies to Vanguard even the SC part.

Yes ill agree with that.

I would say that Vanguard or EQ2 far outshine anytrhing GW2 has to offer.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Both..both are essentially F2P.   I mean you have to frontload your money on GW2, but im sure you can find it somewhere on sale.  I say play both :)

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    I have played both, EQ2 as well.  My vote would to to Vanguard.  It is the one that held my interest the longest.  It takes more than a little getting used to though so make sure you finish a few quests and get used to the interface. . maps etc. before you throw up and leave :)

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• BlackcatZeroBlackcatZero Member UncommonPosts: 58
    Both or wait a little bit more and try Wizardry or Dragon Prophet both From SOE and even Planetside 2 good if you like shooters. like I said SOE as more to offer if you want to put all our cards on SOE games.
  • dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

Given your description, I'm going to have to go against the grain in this thread and saw that I think GW2 may actually be the better choice.

While Vanguard may be deeper game in some respects, GW2's pvp wins no contest, and I've found its solo pve experience to be far better than Vanguard's. GW2's cash/gem shop is also a non-factor - it's basically cosmetic items, mini-pets, and some marginally useful boosters.

If the virtual world aspect is important to you, Vanguard wins in that category. I won't rehash the reasons - they've been said many times already in this thread.

In my own experience, I found Vanguard too buggy and unpolished to play for any extended period of time.

Edit: Wording changed for clarity.

<3

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by dreamscaper

While Vanguard may be deeper game in some respects, its pvp wins no contest, and I've found its solo pve experience to be far better than Vanguard's.

I would actually agree with this... GW2 shone as a single player RPG to me.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

Depends on what you want...

If you want a casual, flashy game that will keep you few a few weeks to a month or so, go GW2.

If you want more of a traditional, albeit less flashy time-slnk MMO, go Vanguard.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

VG for PvE

GW2 for PvP

Although content updates for VG are few and far between. Dispite being a big game, you will probably run out of stuff to do at the 3 month mark, 6 if you are a slow leveler or cant get into a raid guild. The F2P conversion didn't really help either.

I would still recommend you play VG if you have never played it, its a good game, just not well supported.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
          If you go with VSOH jsut make sure your PC can run it.....The game is a technological piece of crap.....There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason why some cant play this but it doesnt work on certain configurations.....I used to play it in beta, but when I went to download it at f2p it would never run...Its the only game I cant run on my PC.
  • svandysvandy Member UncommonPosts: 277

I played Vanguard briefly, the only reason I didn't continue too is that I couldn't convince any of my friends to play. I had a blast for the short time I spent in it, the graphics were suprisingly good, the classes interesting and fun (races too), and I have never played a game that rivals the immersion of that game, nothing comes close in my opinion. I was actually reading quests, I almost refuse to do that unless its subtitles in a TSW cutscene.

GW2 I played to max level, yet I played it about the same amount of time it took me to get to 20 in VG, so that should tell you something. GW2 feels more like an arcade game with some RPG features, and with the exception of WvWvW it doesn't feel like an MMO at all. At launch the dynamic events sucked because like 200 people would be doing one vent (exaggeration) and by the time Id tab to something it would be dead. 3 weeks to a month later youd be lucky to even see another person doing DEs, even in the high level zone, except for a few people who found a way to farm the supposed "dynamic" events in a giant circle. The game was a normal quest grinder, they just hid it really well. There was nothing dynamic about it.

So I would say VG by far. The game doesn't hide what it is, which is a throwback more to EQ than to UO, and what it does it does well, it just has a very small but dedicated community. GW2 almost feels... fake or forced. It just wasn't the game I thought it was going to be, which is fine, but I think the word dynamic should not be used in describing that game except for the WvW which is a ton of fun if you like massive PVP battles and you are on a good server.

Both have cash shops by the way, but if you sub to VG (or get yourself a better deal and get the station pass) you get most of what you need with your sub plus extra points to spend on vanity crap. GW2 the cash shop may as well not even be there, I find it impossible to imagine someone actually using it.

Please visit my youtube channel for some H1Z1/DayZ casual roleplay videos!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrQoK5VZlwBBzpsksmXtjMQ

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by gordiflu

I have not played GW2, since I am not interested in what it offers, but I did play VG very intensively (first world kills and all that), so I ll give you some input about this game, trying to be objective and honest althought I loved the game to death.

Bad points:

- Low population. It's an old niche game. The massive size of the world adds to it. Look for an active guild if you want to enjoy the game.

- Bad engine. Performance is just acceptable, but not actually good.

- Grindy once you get to the end game. Not becouse there's little to do, but becouse you need to do it over and over to complete certain stuff.

- Old game. Graphics can't compete with the latest games.

Good points:

- Insane amount of content. The world is massive.

- Depth. Deeper than virtually any modern MMO.

- Good crafting system that actually matters.

- Excellent community.

- Diversity. Lots of different classes, races and feasable builds. Many classes have different sub-classes available.

Poins that are good or bad depending on what kind of players you are.

- No PVP.

- Challenge. The game is not easy. Reasonable death penalties.

- Group oriented. While you can solo your way to level cap, grouping is way more profitable, even when it comes to farming crafting materials. Most end game content is group content. Holy trinity plus crowd control beeing very important. Backup healing and buffers very welcome for most content.

that pretty much sums it up.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• KanylKanyl Member UncommonPosts: 252

I would say both, because they are both amazing games! Here are some steps you should follow, to enjoy them:

1. Buy GW2! Enjoy it, have a great time and when you hit max level and feel like everything is done, then take a brake! Now, wait some months until they add more content and make the game worthwile to play for a very long time. The game is superb all the way to 80, but then there is a "stop", so go and play to that point first!

2. Meanwhile, while you play GW2, you can slowly level up in Vanguard. I am now talking about Free 2 Play, so try to level up as much as you can for free! It will be slow, so you don't have to pay monthly sub for a very long time! (Only IF you get boored with GW2 sometimes)

3. So, when you have hit max level in GW2 and done everything, you go over to Vanguard and start to play it for real!

• AnslemAnslem Member CommonPosts: 215
    Originally posted by Theocritus
          If you go with VSOH jsut make sure your PC can run it.....The game is a technological piece of crap.....There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason why some cant play this but it doesnt work on certain configurations.....I used to play it in beta, but when I went to download it at f2p it would never run...Its the only game I cant run on my PC.

Thanks for this!

I just downloaded it fully last night and am going to check it out before work. 

Worried about lag etc.  I can run WoW flawlessly but I know that is not too demanding on a PC.

If not, might be time for Santa to gift a new PC.  

Played: Ultima Online - DaoC - WoW -