Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It's official... Star Citizen will not be a MMO...

124»

Comments

• morbuskabismorbuskabis Member Posts: 290

Yea not quite sure what Bren is up to. Spreading a bit of negative vibes even though he calls himself a supporter of the game.

Well anyway I don't give a s**t about what the game is supposed to be called. MMO, SLSS or Banana. The game has single player content and a persistent world (space). This game is going to be a gem in the space sim genre.

image -Massive-Industries- Heavy Duty

• william0532william0532 Member Posts: 251

? I guess I would have to know the exact number of the definitions. Whats multiplayer? 2-100? Cause if you can fight 60-100 other people in an instance(space has instances so the systems don't lag), is it just a multiplayer? How many is massive? According to one guy it must be more than a hundred.

Than again, I guess it doesn't matter, I'll mod the game and play with a couple hundred people on a private server(we are going to starwars the hell out of the ships with the mod tool)

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821
    Originally posted by morbuskabis

Yea not quite sure what Bren is up to. Spreading a bit of negative vibes even though he calls himself a supporter of the game.

Well anyway I don't give a s**t about what the game is supposed to be called. MMO, SLSS or Banana. The game has single player content and a persistent world (space). This game is going to be a gem in the space sim genre.

All I'm "up too" is calling the game what it is... A multiplayer Space Sim and a mighty fine one at that. If these other guys get their way then we will have multitudes of MMO players getting all worked up over this game being a MMO only to have them on these forum saying what a piece of crap this game is when they play it because it wasn't what they were expecting... a MMO. I'm doing a little 'pre-damage control' I guess you'd call it. I really want this game to succeed and that will be a lot more difficult if you have a crap load of MMO players screaming about how crappy the game is when it turns out not to be a MMO. This game will be pretty damn awesome if it turns out like Mr. Roberts described.

Another thing to consider is none of the MMO like features will be in this game at launch unless RSI hits 4-5 million during the crowd funding phase. See the "Stretch Goals" on the RSI site for more info on this. Right now as of this posting they have just over 2 million which will only fund the Squadron 42 part of the game at launch. This will be a single player game with limited multiplayer. They may very well hit 3 million before the funding stage is over but at the rate pledges are coming in I doubt it will get to 4-5 million. This means that at launch this game will be a single player game with limited multiplayer and no persistent universe. That will come later. How much later highly depends on how much money they make off of the game post launch because this is what will fund the rest of the development for the Star Citizen part of the game.

This game may very well become a MMO some day but that day will not be launch day. At launch we will most likely only see Squadron 42. Also almost every Chris Roberts game has run over it's perspective time table as he's a self admitted perfectionist. This isn't a bad thing as it means whatever we get will have a high degree of polish but it may also mean that the dev cycle they are proposing right now will most likely be pushed back several times by Roberts himself. This also means that he will not move on to a new phase of the project untill he feels the current one is perfect. He is however being exceptionally smart building this game a piece at a time. This allows him to release something in 2 years and build on that foundation. I hope this game is extremely successful as I hope that it will evolve into something more someday just like the rest of you but it will have to start small and build apon the foundation of Squadron 42 at this rate. The MMO aspects may be as much as 3-5 years down the road.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

Originally posted by Averof

Allright for the sake of sanity, we can play this along. So this is not an MMO, as answered, could we now focus on news about this Non MMO game?

Cheers.

I agree 110%image

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    I'm all for single-players games, but.. The idea of MMO elements in a single player game strikes me as a huge step back for them.  If Its a SP game, I want it to feel like an SP game, and all the advantages that come with that.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• RyukanRyukan Member UncommonPosts: 829
    Quite glad it's not going to be an MMO myself.
  • Victor001brVictor001br Member UncommonPosts: 9

OFFICIAL DEV ANSWER: 

This is game is an MMO?

DEV: Hi there, Partially! Half the game is a single player adventure called Squadron 42, similar to the classic Wing Commander titles. The other half is called Star Citizen, which is styled after Privateer. Star Citizen players can choose between both an MMO-style persistant world and user-run servers.

http://i49.tinypic.com/2u7ssxv.png

• KorogKorog Member Posts: 5

Wow, such a lot of vitriol over a question of semantics.

RSI has already said there would be a huge, persistent, sandbox universe.  SO...no matter WHAT other modes or features the game offers, it WILL be an MMO.  It will have other, non-MMO features you can take advantage of to your hearts' content, but the fact the persistent universe is there 24/7 means it's an MMO.  Think of it as an MMO++ (with as many plusses as you want, actually, for all the additional, non-MMO features).  If you don't want to play the MMO part, fine!  Go to the private servers and play an awesome space-based shooter/sim.  The game will be whatever YOU want it to be for your play style and preference.

You can hate on it all you want.  You can cry, pull out your hear, gnash your teeth, and rend your clothes.  That doesn't change the FACT that Star Citizen is, at heart, an MMO.  Now, folks...please stop the hating and start plotting to take over the Star Citizen universe like you know you want to.  ;)  I just want something named after me...a system or a jump point or something.  Or maybe I'll become famous as a ship designer...or one of a gazillion other things. 

*HEAD EXPLODES*

:)

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by Victor001br

OFFICIAL DEV ANSWER: 

This is game is an MMO?

DEV: Hi there, Partially! Half the game is a single player adventure called Squadron 42, similar to the classic Wing Commander titles. The other half is called Star Citizen, which is styled after Privateer. Star Citizen players can choose between both an MMO-style persistant world and user-run servers.

http://i49.tinypic.com/2u7ssxv.png

This will finally settle this argument then once and for all. Tjeez.

Bren and others need to ask themselves. What is an MMO exactly these days? What qualifies as an MMO?

Let's check what the Public Server will have shall we?

- Online Multiplayer (total amount of players not yet mentioned, but really? How many need to be at least on a single server for it to be an MMO? 200, 500, 1000?).  Check!

- Persistent Online world. Check!

- Social systems (chat, grouping, guilds). Check!

- Trading, crafting, Exchange.  Check!

Anything else I am missing?

So far the above pretty much qualifies as MMO in my book, especially compared to recent day MMO offerings.

The KEY feature of an MMORPG is an Online Persistent World shared with other players. That is the most vital element in an MMO.  That you have a persistent, living and breathing world (or universe in this case) that you can share with your friends and other gamers around the globe!

The total number of players sharing this persistent world on a server shouldn't even matter. The M in MMORPG for Massive is and always has been more of a sales pitch than anything.

You can have 10.000 people create a character on a server, but if only 1000 or 2000 are able to logon simultaniously and if only 100 to 200 players can meet in a single location, without extreme lag or have even the server itself crashing. This so far has always been the limit in any MMO to date.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    Originally posted by Draftbeer
    Thanks god, now it has a chance to be decent.

I can't help but quote this for truthness.

• xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869
    Originally posted by Brenelael
    Originally posted by saurus123

so i think its time to remove it from mmorpg.com?

Why?... This site stopped being exclusively about MMOs a long time ago. This game will be a heck of a lot more MMO like than games like Diablo 3 and a dozen others that are already listed here.

Bren

Then perhaps the this site should change its name?

In all truthfulness... The amount of funding they raised is truly amazing. With the funding this project has now it just may be more of a MMO then GW2, SWTOR and about 60% of the other so called MMOs we've seen in the last 5 years. We shall have to wait and see however.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• thamatharthamathar Member UncommonPosts: 103
    Originally posted by OG_Zorvan
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    Originally posted by AdamTM

Together with World of Tanks, League of Legends, DOTA, Day Z, etc.

Uhh...how is DayZ not an MMO? If Dayz isn't an MMO then neither is WoW, SWToR, TSW, or LotRO.

Are you thinking of WarZ?

DayZ is not WarZ. DayZ only allows what like 40 players or something per any open but privately hosted server (can't remember exactly).

And 40 players running together in a perpetual virtual world is more players than you get in any given zone in Age of Conan, or get in any dungeon in LotRO, or SWTOR,  and heavily instanced games like that, yet they're still called MMOs.

And you can get up to 100 people per server.

Let me guess. You think CounterStrike and Call of Duty are mmos also.

Unfortunately many ppl consider a game with online gameplay that allow having more then 40 players are consider by many as an MMO ... or if an mod allow u to "save" your cunstom progress on an multiplayergame, they will consider an MMO ... this is stupid ( The idea not the ppl, not here to insult any one ).

To be consider an MMO, the game should allow at least 1k or more per server ( even this days some private servers of some MMO allow more then 4k at the same time on the same server ) and now this is an MMO, since MMO stands for Massive Multiplayer Online ... I just wish that ppl would learn this ...

• VitaminKVitaminK Member UncommonPosts: 76
    Originally posted by thamathar
    Unfortunately many ppl consider a game with online gameplay that allow having more then 40 players are consider by many as an MMO ... or if an mod allow u to "save" your cunstom progress on an multiplayergame, they will consider an MMO ... this is stupid ( The idea not the ppl, not here to insult any one ).

To be consider an MMO, the game should allow at least 1k or more per server ( even this days some private servers of some MMO allow more then 4k at the same time on the same server ) and now this is an MMO, since MMO stands for Massive Multiplayer Online ... I just wish that ppl would learn this ...

This ^ more people need to understand this. Really surprised at a lot of the games listed as MMOs on here.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    I suggest everyone reads this:

If that will be the reality, all the players will in fact be on the same server, although about 100 of them can at maximum exist in the same instance at the same time. 100 players is still plenty and there are very few MMOs that can actually support more than that in the same instance at the same time and still work.

Originally posted by tom_gore

If that will be the reality, all the players will in fact be on the same server, although about 100 of them can at maximum exist in the same instance at the same time. 100 players is still plenty and there are very few MMOs that can actually support more than that in the same instance at the same time and still work.

I'd like to know where people keep getting this 100 player per instance number from. I've read the page you linked several times and many other discussions that Mr. Roberts has had on this subject and he never once mentions this or any other number for a instance player cap. In fact he eludes that the number will be much smaller based on the network traffic this game will generate between the client and the server coupled with the fidelity of the game.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• CeloniusCelonius Member Posts: 13

I think that is not very difficult to understand.

Is a MMO? Yes, an instanceed MMO. An MMO could be an MMO even if it is instanced. The persistent world persist like in another MMO with massive players playining on it.

Is only a MMO? No, is more than that. We have a good SP, MP-COOP, Private Servers...

Now, you can close this thread xd.

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018
    So essentially it is not an MMO it is an MMO+
    Originally posted by Brenelael
    Originally posted by tom_gore

I'd like to know where people keep getting this 100 player per instance number from. I've read the page you linked several times and many other discussions that Mr. Roberts has had on this subject and he never once mentions this or any other number for a instance player cap. In fact he eludes that the number will be much smaller based on the network traffic this game will generate between the client and the server coupled with the fidelity of the game.

Bren

60 to 100 according to Roberts here:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/10/26/roberts-on-star-citizen-becoming-a-space-crime-lord/

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

agreed & here are more sp+mp games on list,pls remove from mmorpg.com

Originally posted by JosephJR

Lol do you realize that if SC is removed, they should remove 70-90% of the games on this site on the same grounds?

• BrooksTechBrooksTech Member Posts: 163
    I am pleased to here this!  I will give it a chance now.
  • CeloniusCelonius Member Posts: 13
    Originally posted by JosephJR

How you have the valor to remove SC when today they're going to do an interview to Chris Roberts. Affortunately you're only a simple user of this xd.

If you don't read the info don't say this things please. Chris says clearly that SC ARE NOT GOING TO BE ANOTHER WING COMMANDER SINGLE-PLAYER WITH A FEW MULTIPLAYER.

He want to create the persisten focus. THIS IS THE MAIN FOCUS. Squadron 42 (SP MODE) and the COOP mode is just the result from the nostalgy of this game, but is not going to be the FOCUS.

This. Watch this. Since minute 2:00.