Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will this game end up being yet another washed-up single player game with limited multiplayer activi

KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

Will it?  The customer base seems so divided as to what they expect, they don't even know what it being offered!!  The fanbase is going to drop this game if and when it finally sinks in that Star Citizen will not be a MMO,  It will become yet another washed up title, where fans jumped into a game, investing in something they thought would be different from what they imagined. (TESO you're next)

I keep hearing people say this game is going to be an MMO .. "It doesn't need a bunch of players to be massively .. it's still an MMO."  What?

Even the dev's say this game is not going to be an MMO.  Nobody has played the game yet (it's not even in alpha), so why argue with the devs?

Go by what the dev's say:  It's not an MMO (http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/draft-faq/).  It's a single player game with some multiplayer support so you can play with friends.

It's going to be a fun game, but no more MMO than a game of checkers .. or chinese checkers (6 players) .. or dodgeball (30 players) .. not massively.

ps. I'd still like to play this game.  But I'd expect it to be the single player game it's designed to be.  If it ever has a subscription fee to play or a huge cashshop in this single player game then forget it /pass.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

Comments

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

It's all explained here:

http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/chris-roberts-on-multiplayer-single-player-and-instancing/

Good read and I think his ideas are good, in theory. We will see how it works out.

Frankly, if a game looks and feels like and MMO, it's an MMO. Doesn't matter if all the players aren't in the same space with you, at the same time. 100 players in one battle is massive enough for me.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Every new game on this site is going to be the best thing ever.....and then it launches and all the hopes and dreams get washed away by the reality that it's just another game. I'd be surprised if this title had long term appeal to a broad base of players, doesn't really matter if it's a MMORPG, the haven't fared any better in recent years except for a select handful.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• CeloniusCelonius Member Posts: 13
    Originally posted by Karteli

Will it?  The customer base seems so divided as to what they expect, they don't even know what it being offered!!  The fanbase is going to drop this game if and when it finally sinks in that Star Citizen will not be a MMO,  It will become yet another washed up title, where fans jumped into a game, investing in something they thought would be different from what they imagined. (TESO you're next)

I keep hearing people say this game is going to be an MMO .. "It doesn't need a bunch of players to be massively .. it's still an MMO."  What?

Even the dev's say this game is not going to be an MMO.  Nobody has played the game yet (it's not even in alpha), so why argue with the devs?

Go by what the dev's say:  It's not an MMO (http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/draft-faq/).  It's a single player game with some multiplayer support so you can play with friends.

It's going to be a fun game, but no more MMO than a game of checkers .. or chinese checkers (6 players) .. or dodgeball (30 players) .. not massively.

ps. I'd still like to play this game.  But I'd expect it to be the single player game it's designed to be.  If it ever has a subscription fee to play or a huge cashshop in this single player game then forget it /pass.

I think that is not very difficult to understand.

Is a MMO? Yes, an instanceed MMO. An MMO could be an MMO even if it is instanced. The persistent world persist like in another MMO with massive players playining on it and having actions that affect it.

And say the things how real are them. In the FAQ it says

No! Star Citizen will take the best of all possible worlds, ranging from a permanent, persistent world similar to those found in MMOs to an offline, single player campaign like those found in the Wing Commander series.

Is only a MMO? No, is more than that. We have a good SP, MP-COOP, Private Servers...

Is not only an MMO but t have the MMO part, instanced MMO, but MMO.

Chris does not want to close futures players saying that is only a MMO because he knows how are the brand of this games actually. He prefere to say that is everything in order to catch all the future players posible.

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995
    What I see happening is people "gearing up" on private servers with altered rulesets that make it easy to get what they want, then moving over to the public shared server space to claim regions of space.  In fact, I see entire guilds doing this.  Depends on how the game is designed of course and it may be something they can prevent.  However, I see the potential of basically requiring private servers if you want to even have a chance on the public server space even a few weeks after release.
  • tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Originally posted by killion81
    What I see happening is people "gearing up" on private servers with altered rulesets that make it easy to get what they want, then moving over to the public shared server space to claim regions of space.  In fact, I see entire guilds doing this.  Depends on how the game is designed of course and it may be something they can prevent.  However, I see the potential of basically requiring private servers if you want to even have a chance on the public server space even a few weeks after release.

I haven't seen a confirmation, but I think your characters are bound to the servers they are created on. So you cannot move your private server character to the master server running the MMO part.

It doesn't make sense to do it any other way.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Tell you the truth i dont really care too much about the MP side of this game I just want some more Wing Commander style single player storylines to play through :) the MP is just a bonus..

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885

How many times have you played swtor and had a 100 people with you, i would guess not many. SWTOR might as well be just a co-op multiplayer game just like most of the MMO released today.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

if you played his older games you know what to hope for =)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Since its not a MMO I Hope it ends up being a Great single player game with limted multiplayer activities..

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• CeloniusCelonius Member Posts: 13
    Originally posted by Caldrin

Tell you the truth i dont really care too much about the MP side of this game I just want some more Wing Commander style single player storylines to play through :) the MP is just a bonus..

Please, don't lie. Chris Roberts says ion his message this: I don't want make any old game, I want to make the universe. And you have the video here if you want the prove

See minute 2:08.

He says clearly that he does not want to make another Wing Commander, he want to make more than that. Star Citizen is not Squadron 42. I respect you want to have your SP Campaign, for that, you will have Squadron 42. But Star Citizen is more that Squadron 42. Please read the info before saying lies.

Originally posted by apocoluster
    Since its not a MMO I Hope it ends up being a Great single player game with limted multiplayer activities..

The same for you. Watch the video and don't know your our speculations. Chris syas that he does not want to make another wing commander, he want to do more.

Please people watch the video of the  creator of the game. His word if the only that is true.