Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please people, tell me you're not ignorant and gullible, PLEASE!

Comments

• BrooksTechBrooksTech Member Posts: 163

OP, why do you assume that the play style you don't enjoy ins't enjoyed by others?

I am very interested in TEO.  But thanks for trying to tell me what games I should support.  Who are you again?  Oh that's right...

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150
    These guys are going to make a fortune on this game, Every last thing I have heard is a red flag for cutting corners. The name alone will generate massive box sales. This is nothing more than another cash in on a very popular name. You take the ES title off this game and you have nothing.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Boonshniggle
    Mark my words, this will be a standard cookie cutter MMO. It will not have anything revolutionary, at least not in any big way. The Elder Scrolls brand is being used as nothing but Lore and an Atmosphere for their world. The game itself will be very much so your standard WoW, SWTOR, Everquest, etc. type affair, just set in an Elder Scrolls universe.

If you think this will play anything remotely like Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, or Skyrim and with MMO elements, you are going to be setting yourself up for a world of disappointment.

I really hope gamers learned from SWTOR and not listen to any hype, especially when a franchise you love is at stake. Please, be critical and logical and don't let your hope blind your logic and judgement.

This is the truth, rather you like it or not. So many of my friends didn't listen to me about SWTOR and every one of them regrets their purchase and support of that product. Now those same friends are getting hyped about this game thinking it will be MMO Skyrim. They will not listen to me say otherwise.

If you guys want to think it will be MMO Skyrim, go ahead, but at least this time I can feel I tried to warn more people about a brand that is mostly being used to rape your wallets and do nothing but build hype....for the most part anyways.

What if you're wrong?

They have a three hundred million dollar budget. What if the world is actually fleshed out, there is a lot of content and players don't have to wait three months after release to see the entire game?

What if WoW, but Elder Scrolls with fully fleshed out content is exactly what people want?

* Bonus What If. What if the game is Buy to Play when it releases?

** edit **
    Scratch that. The company just received a three hundred million dollar investment. That's not the budget for the game itself.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610

The whole "It's not an Elder Scrolls game" baffles me.

Do people who use the same logic with Mario games? "Mario Kart isn't a Mario game as It's not a platformer!"

Whatever they develop it IS going to be an Elder Scrolls game. Looks like it's going to be fun from what little I have seen.

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Mark my words, this will be a standard cookie cutter MMO. It will not have anything revolutionary, at least not in any big way. The Elder Scrolls brand is being used as nothing but Lore and an Atmosphere for their world. The game itself will be very much so your standard WoW, SWTOR, Everquest, etc. type affair, just set in an Elder Scrolls universe.

If you think this will play anything remotely like Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, or Skyrim and with MMO elements, you are going to be setting yourself up for a world of disappointment.

I really hope gamers learned from SWTOR and not listen to any hype, especially when a franchise you love is at stake. Please, be critical and logical and don't let your hope blind your logic and judgement.

This is the truth, rather you like it or not. So many of my friends didn't listen to me about SWTOR and every one of them regrets their purchase and support of that product. Now those same friends are getting hyped about this game thinking it will be MMO Skyrim. They will not listen to me say otherwise.

If you guys want to think it will be MMO Skyrim, go ahead, but at least this time I can feel I tried to warn more people about a brand that is mostly being used to rape your wallets and do nothing but build hype....for the most part anyways.

What if you're wrong?

They have a three hundred million dollar budget. What if the world is actually fleshed out, there is a lot of content and players don't have to wait three months after release to see the entire game?

What if WoW, but Elder Scrolls with fully fleshed out content is exactly what people want?

* Bonus What If. What if the game is Buy to Play when it releases?

** edit **
    Scratch that. The company just received a three hundred million dollar investment. That's not the budget for the game itself.

Anybody that has followed MMO's pre and post launch can see the writting on the wall. "megaserver"  let me translate that for you massive number of instances. What are instances? they are nothing more than a band aid fix for lack of content. Thus corner cutting. The info  on this game is full of BS hype from the devs.

They are after the box sales thats for sure. Its kind of like FFXI, it sold a large number of box sales predicated on the name Final Fantasy. It left a sour taste in a lot of FF fans, but XI itself turned out to be an overwhelming success (500k subs for 5-6 years) for a niche type game. TESO is doing the same thing but following the model that has been tried and tested, and only lasts for 90 days max. If I were them I would offer life time subs, and be laughing all the way to the bank. You better believe a cash grab attempt such as this, there will be subs, they can milk a good month or 2 out of it.

Ill play this game when it goes F2P just for the lore, atleast I hope they dont screw that up.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

Originally posted by toddze
    Originally posted by lizardbones   Originally posted by Boonshniggle Mark my words, this will be a standard cookie cutter MMO. It will not have anything revolutionary, at least not in any big way. The Elder Scrolls brand is being used as nothing but Lore and an Atmosphere for their world. The game itself will be very much so your standard WoW, SWTOR, Everquest, etc. type affair, just set in an Elder Scrolls universe.   If you think this will play anything remotely like Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, or Skyrim and with MMO elements, you are going to be setting yourself up for a world of disappointment. I really hope gamers learned from SWTOR and not listen to any hype, especially when a franchise you love is at stake. Please, be critical and logical and don't let your hope blind your logic and judgement. This is the truth, rather you like it or not. So many of my friends didn't listen to me about SWTOR and every one of them regrets their purchase and support of that product. Now those same friends are getting hyped about this game thinking it will be MMO Skyrim. They will not listen to me say otherwise. If you guys want to think it will be MMO Skyrim, go ahead, but at least this time I can feel I tried to warn more people about a brand that is mostly being used to rape your wallets and do nothing but build hype....for the most part anyways.
    What if you're wrong? They have a three hundred million dollar budget. What if the world is actually fleshed out, there is a lot of content and players don't have to wait three months after release to see the entire game? What if WoW, but Elder Scrolls with fully fleshed out content is exactly what people want? * Bonus What If. What if the game is Buy to Play when it releases? ** edit ** Scratch that. The company just received a three hundred million dollar investment. That's not the budget for the game itself.  
    Anybody that has followed MMO's pre and post launch can see the writting on the wall. "megaserver"  let me translate that for you massive number of instances. What are instances? they are nothing more than a band aid fix for lack of content. Thus corner cutting. The info  on this game is full of BS hype from the devs.

They are after the box sales thats for sure. Its kind of like FFXI, it sold a large number of box sales predicated on the name Final Fantasy. It left a sour taste in a lot of FF fans, but XI itself turned out to be an overwhelming success (500k subs for 5-6 years) for a niche type game. TESO is doing the same thing but following the model that has been tried and tested, and only lasts for 90 days max. If I were them I would offer life time subs, and be laughing all the way to the bank. You better believe a cash grab attempt such as this, there will be subs, they can milk a good month or 2 out of it.

Ill play this game when it goes F2P just for the lore, atleast I hope they dont screw that up.

MMOs have always had instances, starting with Ultima Online. You think that was one big contiguous world there? Run across a boundary line and watch the mobs hang out right there at the line sometime. TESO's MegaServer is just a variation on a theme. If it works out to be cheaper to implement, so much the better.

At least come up with some decent talking points. Right now people are just hating on the game because it had the temerity to exist.

• GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832

I think the take away for the consumer/gamer is going to be that just because they liked the Elder Scrolls single-player games is no reason to assume they are going to like TESO, it's a different game made in a different format by a different development studio using the same IP. So the consumer/gamer really is going to have to do some research into TESO's own merits qualities to understand if they will like it or not.

To use an analogy, I like Buck Knives, I've owned a few and they've always performed well. When I go to the store and see a new model Buck Knife, I can have a reasonably high assurance that I'm going to like it even if I haven't done any consumer research on it. However if go shopping for DvD players and I see one with the same name as one of the Buck Knife models, that doesn't really tell me anything about whether I'm going to like it or not.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
       Thanks for your imput OP...Ill go play anyways

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• mmaizemmaize Member Posts: 274

People are lemmings, surely you've realized that by now.  It doesn't matter how bad a game fails and even when all of the potential failings are right there slapping them in the face...as long as it's new and shiny they are going to spend the money.  More power to them, it's their time and money.  Let them waste it.

But this is by no means an Elder Scrolls game and my guess is that the fans that really do enjoy these games like myself can already see the writing on the wall.

Originally posted by GrumpyMel2
    I think the take away for the consumer/gamer is going to be that just because they liked the Elder Scrolls single-player games is no reason to assume they are going to like TESO, it's a different game made in a different format by a different development studio using the same IP. So the consumer/gamer really is going to have to do some research into TESO's own merits qualities to understand if they will like it or not.To use an analogy, I like Buck Knives, I've owned a few and they've always performed well. When I go to the store and see a new model Buck Knife, I can have a reasonably high assurance that I'm going to like it even if I haven't done any consumer research on it. However if go shopping for DvD players and I see one with the same name as one of the Buck Knife models, that doesn't really tell me anything about whether I'm going to like it or not. 

Whoa there buddy! We tell people how it is, not that other thing you're doing there.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    OP  please go read some interviews about this game, you have some extremely misguided views.  Worst of all you are spreading them.
  • GoodEnoughForMeGoodEnoughForMe Member Posts: 2

I don't think anyone is expecting some revolutionary MMO, here. I'm hoping for a slightly less quest-hub orieneted experience, which they have mentioned several times, and a more exploration based feel, which they have also mentioned. Neither of these are terribly groundbreaking, but if they're combined with Tamriel, which is a fairly compelling world already, and decent enough level mechanics, I think they can have a fun game.

You're not doing anyone a favour if you're trying to tell people to not be gullible or ignorant and to listen to you alone, regarding an entertainment medium where enjoyment is subjective, for a game that isn't out. It sounds arrogant more than anything. I think TESO sounds fun.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    All I read was: "I'm scared of being let down or criticized so I choose to be critical and cynical of everything."

You stay sassy!

• MyTabbycatMyTabbycat Member UncommonPosts: 316
    All this game needs to do is capture the feel of playing an Elder Scrolls Game in an MMO setting. If they can do that, they will be deemed successful. I don't care if it's innovative or ground breaking or whatever. I just want to feel like I'm playing The Elder Scrolls but with a lot of people. I think there are a lot of ES fans hoping for the same thing.
  • ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Watch the ‘Introduction to The Elder Scrolls Online’ Video!

http://elderscrollsonline.com/en/news/post/2012/11/07/watch-the-introduction-to-the-elder-scrolls-online-video

I am not even hyped but due to this OP post I decided to check some thing out, while many MMO's have given info well before beta's, this introduction with ingame footage made the game allot more on my radar, even though it might be a till lvl 50 type of game for me, depends what more MMORPG element they will bring to TESO. They could exploit crafting from the SRPG's and make it hugh and in depth. Thought that might be to much asking for a game aming at a majority of gamers.

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879

someone in another thread said "all this is going to be is DAOC 2 with Elder Scrolls skins". if this is true then WOOHOOO im so F'n there and i cannot wait!

sorry its not the mythological sandbox savior but really none of the elder scrolls games were a sandbox. like it was said earlier I tried something that was supposedly revolutionary in GW2 and god did that suck. I have never though i would hear myself saying I miss questing and the trinity .... but i did when i played that.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by Yamota
    I agree with OP. Unless we MMO gamers stop buying this dumbing down and mainstreaming of awesome IPs then this garbage will continue to be released.

yeah but that assumes everyone has a problem with it but we are all "for some reason" still buying it.

I bet dollars to donuts that there are plenty of people who have no problem with buying a game, having fun in it for a small bit, not expecting the holy grail of games or seeking "NEW AND IMPROVED"  and then moving on.

*cough* raises hand  *cough*       Ill buy this game..play it for a month or two or six and Ill leave..probably coming back when it goes F2P..cause lets be real..they all are gonna go F2P..play it F2P for a month or two or six and move on to the next big hype game.

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• DollMighty8313DollMighty8313 Member Posts: 179
    Why doesn't the OP just let people make up their own mind based on their own unbias research?  Its not like the OP left any wiggle room for this game to be fun.  I really hate threads and posts like this one.  We're not mindless idiots waiting for your word on how to live our lives.  We have our own thoughts.
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Tamanous
    All I read was: "I'm scared of being let down or criticized so I choose to be critical and cynical of everything."

Read that paraphrase a couple of hundred times a year.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• coltonjeffersoncoltonjefferson Member Posts: 33
    I'm honestly hyped up for this game a bit. The game seems to be a lot like previous Elder Scrolls games. Of course you probably won't be able to kill anyone you like, or for you PC Elder Scrolls players, mod the game, but all in all it looks pretty good. It's turning out to look like a good game.
  • Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865

*Looks straight at camera*

"I'm not ignorant and gullible"

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

If you watch interviews with the developers it is VERY clear that not one of them have actually worked on any other Elder Scrolls games...at least especially the combat designers. When they talk about the combat in ESO it sounds nothing like combat in other Elder Scrolls in any way. Like not even close....really....watch this one....

When they talk about gameplay mechanics it sounds totally foreign to any mechanics from the previous titles.

What part of Its a MMO not a single player game don't you understand?

I'm guessing dispite ESO being in production for a bit and information on the game pointing out it doesn't plan on being like skyrim you just now stumbled on you outstanding observation that pretty much anyone thats done any research already knows. No ESO will not be like the single player games, sorry it simply can't be. Many of its single player elements just don't work in a MMO enviroment. ESO has had to adopt some MMO elements this does not make it a WoW clone though there are some elements both will share as they are both MMO's

When i first read up on ESO almost a year ago (your late to the party) I also shared alot of your feelings and opinions. Since then there has been alot more info released that makes me at least willing to keep a open mind on ESO till its released and we have some player reviews.

• rommellorommello Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 185
    most r not so stupid not to even try. Only thing i can think of saying right now is get lost Boonshniggle

hallo ~_~

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

This game won't be like Skyrim, and from the footage shown, Bethesda / Zenimax isn't even trying to be Skyrim.  They *want* to be a nice Elder Scrolls MMO .. and the environment graphics looks nice, for sure ..

But look at the animations in their trailers.  Take a hard look.  It's about the flexibility of your character during combat ...  it's all about particle effects.  LOTS of particle effects.  Flashy stuff.  Those particle effects cover up the lack-luster mobility of your avatar.

They squeezed those portions out of the trailers, but even the 1 or 2 second clips of combat were highly disappointing.  It's WoW all over, each character just stands there and swings weapons, while taking hits... the solution?  Add particle effects, all the swirly animations and dazzling dots that cover your screen.

L .. A .. M .. E

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• Dear_LeaderDear_Leader Member UncommonPosts: 5
    Originally posted by MyTabbycat
    All this game needs to do is capture the feel of playing an Elder Scrolls Game in an MMO setting. If they can do that, they will be deemed successful. I don't care if it's innovative or ground breaking or whatever. I just want to feel like I'm playing The Elder Scrolls but with a lot of people. I think there are a lot of ES fans hoping for the same thing.

Correct. If Bethesda wanted to make more money from just Elder Scrolls fans, they'd just make more Elder Scrolls games. With TESO  Bethesda is trying to get a foothold in the MMO market, which means they will try to appeal to MMO players first, and Elder Scrolls fans second. And since Themeparks look to be where the big money is in the MMO market, that is the kind of game Zenimax will make as its the safe bet. Considering how most of the MMOs in the last two years that tried to do things a bit differently took a big "Arrow to the knee", I can see why Zennimax most likely won't stray far from the standard Themepark formula.

Go down there and tell them that if I hear Gangnam style one more time, there will be trouble.