Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veteran MMO Player Lost -> Recommendations Anyone?

tgoodspetgoodspe Member UncommonPosts: 48

Hey all, 

I've been in the MMORPG world long enough to feel like I've tried everything out there. However, as with many, the most recent games to hit the market have left me dissappointed and generally unsatisfied. It could be me evolving as a gamer, my expectations rising through the years, and it also could be the unarguable things that some of these games lack. However, that's not my question here. 

I want some recommendations on what I should be playing, or games I should look into playing. I'm not opposed to anything in particular, I just want some straight up recommendations and maybe some reasons backing their game of choice up. I don't care if it's one of the brand new games that hit the market over the last few years, or if it's an older "hey pick this game back up because of X,Y,Z". I just want a game that has a good community size of people playing it, and is fun!

So let me hear it!

Also, know that I really have tried almost anything so I might comment back on some of the recommendations trying to dig deeper into why I should give your game a chance or return to your game. 

Thanks in advance everyone! :)

Comments

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

Your gonna hear TSW, GW2, and Age of Wushu for sure.

Personally i would point towards TSW only if your looking for something different.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

You may want to take a break from mmogs.

You may want to consider single player games in what ever flavor you like.

• drtack1drtack1 Member UncommonPosts: 273
    Originally posted by Rayshe

Personally i would point towards TSW only if your looking for something different.

GW2 is fun, but I have to admit once I got my third toon to lvl 80 I havent really played since. 

Age of Wushu is pretty fun, havent played long enough to see if I will stick with it for longer then 4-5 months (still beta.)

I will be buying TSW tomorrow just because it is different and I want to try a different scene!

^ lol

• tgoodspetgoodspe Member UncommonPosts: 48
    Originally posted by Rayshe

Never looked at anything on AoW.

I "play" GW2 but find the entire platform entirely pointless. The PvP is (I think) sort of sub-par and limited. But I've always been more of an OWPvP'er anyway. But leveling your character seems to have no point to it. If you can "poof" to end-game, what's the point in playing an entire game that will get you basically to the same point. But alas, I've always had that beef with the GW franchise from GW1 as well.

Also haven't tried TSW but have watched videos on it. People say some of the quests and story is pretty fun. But honestly, everything I've watched on it makes it look extremely clunky, unpolished, and quite honestly, pretty dang crappy. But I obviously could be wrong!

• fatboy21007fatboy21007 Member Posts: 409
    Wurm Online :-)
    Originally posted by Shadanwolf

Yeah that's what I've been considering too. Although nothing really captures me for too long. What I've found, let's say for Skyrim, is that I'll play them obsessively for a week or two. Then I say, "Alright I'm gonna take a little break!" And then I never go back to playing it, haha. Now it's been so long since I've played these single-player games that I feel like I'm going to have to start over!

I'm sure if I just jumped back into them again I'd have a blast for a little bit. But I'm really looking for that feeling of being addicted and captivated by a game and feeling like I want to invest time into it to progress; a feeling I've only really gotten from MMORPG's.

• TalemireTalemire Member UncommonPosts: 839
    I feel you man, I'm in the same spot, especially on Christmas break from school. Too bad all the solid MMORPGs are due out next year. If you find anything let me know lol.
    Isaiah 41:10
  • MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782
    Originally posted by tgoodspe

Yeah that's what I've been considering too. Although nothing really captures me for too long. What I've found, let's say for Skyrim, is that I'll play them obsessively for a week or two. Then I say, "Alright I'm gonna take a little break!" And then I never go back to playing it, haha. Now it's been so long since I've played these single-player games that I feel like I'm going to have to start over!

I'm sure if I just jumped back into them again I'd have a blast for a little bit. But I'm really looking for that feeling of being addicted and captivated by a game and feeling like I want to invest time into it to progress; a feeling I've only really gotten from MMORPG's.

Todays MMOs are bubblegum games. You chew them up and spit them out. They aren't something that you work towards.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Have you tried AC2 , if not , give it a shot
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Other than what has already been mentioned I would say Vanguard.  It's free to play now so there isn't a price risk.  I've been dipping into Telon the last few nights and it has a different feel than what has been realeased in the last few years.  More organic I guess.
    Originally posted by Talemire
    I feel you man, I'm in the same spot, especially on Christmas break from school. Too bad all the solid MMORPGs are due out next year. If you find anything let me know lol.

I've refrained from using the terms "solid mmo" or letting myself get hyped for any games anymore, they've all been let downs in some respects. I do agree that there are some interesting things on the horizon. Let's just hope they actually provide some umph in the market. For once in these modern times I'd like developers to actually come out with an mmo that has some depth and actually has something to do. I find it so hard to believe that these guys are releasing their games thinking;

"Yep, we nailed it guys. This mmo has everything we need to last all of our gamers at least a year until our first expansion!"

Then they look red-faced in a month when everyone drops their game and they're sit to wonder what happened... lol

Originally posted by Magiknight

Todays MMOs are bubblegum games. You chew them up and spit them out. They aren't something that you work towards.

Ugh, so sad but so true... Maxed out toons in a week seems to be the current trend..

• VicodinTacoVicodinTaco Member UncommonPosts: 804

Or you can do what I did.  Go to single player RPG's...

(OMG IMPOSSIBLE!)

No seriously, of course there's the Elder Scrolls etc etc. blah blah games that everyone has heard about, but I've gotten the old playstation 2 out, plus bought a PS3.  MMORPG's can't hold a crap stick up to the challenge some of these games have.  STATS mean something.  Gear means something, achievments are satisfying.  The only bad thing is some stuff I'm playing is Japanese type crazy anime style, but so much of it is at the bargin bin I could care less giving anything a try. 

And of course there is Demon Soul's and Dark Soul's.  In reality I need play nothing else.

Originally posted by Scorchien

I tried it way back in the day when it first came out. I remember giving it another go earlier this year but finding it still being much the same. Is there even a solid community or large player base even in that game anymore?

Originally posted by Aelious
    Other than what has already been mentioned I would say Vanguard.  It's free to play now so there isn't a price risk.  I've been dipping into Telon the last few nights and it has a different feel than what has been realeased in the last few years.  More organic I guess.

Never reeeaallly tried Vanguard. I think I dabbled when it FIRST came out but never really dove deep into that game at all. Probably cause I couldn't hook up with a solid community of people to keep going with.

What's Telon? Haven't heard of that one.

Originally posted by loeslein

Or you can do what I did.  Go to single player RPG's...

(OMG IMPOSSIBLE!)

No seriously, of course there's the Elder Scrolls etc etc. blah blah games that everyone has heard about, but I've gotten the old playstation 2 out, plus bought a PS3.  MMORPG's can't hold a crap stick up to the challenge some of these games have.  STATS mean something.  Gear means something, achievments are satisfying.  The only bad thing is some stuff I'm playing is Japanese type crazy anime style, but so much of it is at the bargin bin I could care less giving anything a try. 

And of course there is Demon Soul's and Dark Soul's.  In reality I need play nothing else.

That's about what I'm ready to do, haha. Might go dig and find an only playstation and run through the entire FF series again, haha.

• jinxxed0jinxxed0 Member UncommonPosts: 841

This. I've been playing mmos for years as well and nothing is really doing.

After trying all the latest MMOs none of them are cutting it. They're all single player style games that don't encourange people to team up and there for no one teams up. This is very noticeable in Guild Wars 2. The Secret World is alright if you like that sort of game. I found the combat terrible, and sinces it'd just another themepark where combat is 80-90% of what you do and I personaly didn't care for for the "puzzle solving" I didn't bother after playing the beta. But again, if you like the kind of puzzles where you have to find numbers to a hidden key pad and aren't given any tangible way of find out how to get the clues, go for it.

If you're the type of player who enjoys soloing in a game, having your story and character's peronality laid out for you, and having no other player speak to you directly (save for real world polital debate), then GW2 might be okay.What most (bitter) mmo vets like myself are doing are waiting for true open sandbox games. For most of us, games like EvE aren't really that appealing, but a good bit have moved to that. If you like space/sci fi and being in a ship 99% of the time and such, go for it.

Personally, I'm playing Champions Online. Hated it during beta, but now that City of Heroes was killed off, it's a great replacement. But I mainly like those games because of character customization.

As for single player games, surely have Skyrim already. If not get it, mod it, enjoy it for months. Maybe by the time you're done, ArchAge will have some kind of open or closed invite beta or maybe Darkfall Unholy wars will release.

I tried it way back in the day when it first came out. I remember giving it another go earlier this year but finding it still being much the same. Is there even a solid community or large player base even in that game anymore?

you couldnt of tried it early this year it has been shut down for 8 years , you may be thinking of AC1 , AC2 has just relaaunched ,(4 days ago) the reception has been very positive , community is bussling at every lvl

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by Aelious Other than what has already been mentioned I would say Vanguard.  It's free to play now so there isn't a price risk.  I've been dipping into Telon the last few nights and it has a different feel than what has been realeased in the last few years.  More organic I guess.
    Never reeeaallly tried Vanguard. I think I dabbled when it FIRST came out but never really dove deep into that game at all. Probably cause I couldn't hook up with a solid community of people to keep going with.

telon is the planet within the game of vanguard. i recommend that game as well.

As for single player games, surely have Skyrim already. If not get it, mod it, enjoy it for months. Maybe by the time you're done, ArchAge will have some kind of open or closed invite beta or maybe Darkfall Unholy wars will release.

This is my basic thinking as well. As in it's really the only option to do... I want to test out Darkfall in their beta if it ever maintains stability which judging AV I doubt that's going to happen. Reluctantly I'll probably end up trying various single-player games or other games until the next MMO comes out, try that, and just pray that it's finally something that comes along and is worth playing.

I'm not talking about wanting a holy grail of MMO's that's perfect. But for crying out loud something worth investing ANY sort of time in beyond two weeks...

you couldnt of tried it early this year it has been shut down for 8 years , you may be thinking of AC1 , AC2 has just relaaunched ,(4 days ago) the reception has been very positive , community is bussling at every lvl

Oh I apologize I thought you meant AoC for some reason. Is this Asheron's Call? Or what? Not sure exactly what you're referring to, whatever it is I'll take a look at it!

Oh I apologize I thought you meant AoC for some reason. Is this Asheron's Call? Or what? Not sure exactly what you're referring to, whatever it is I'll take a look at it!

yes Asherons Call 2

Originally posted by baphamet

Originally posted by Aelious Other than what has already been mentioned I would say Vanguard.  It's free to play now so there isn't a price risk.  I've been dipping into Telon the last few nights and it has a different feel than what has been realeased in the last few years.  More organic I guess.

telon is the planet within the game of vanguard. i recommend that game as well.

Ahh I gotcha, well if there's a level-headed person out there that recommends giving it a shot, I'll look back into it! Hopefully I'll find some community in there that will keep me going with it!

yes Asherons Call 2

I look into it then. Thanks!

• ezpz77ezpz77 Member Posts: 227
    Stop playing MMO's for awhile and catch up on single player games. This year alone you have Torchlight 2, Dishonored, Borderlands 2, Black Ops II, XCOM, and Assassin's Creed III just to name a few of the video game "blockbusters." I have spent hundreds of hours on a $4 game called Binding of Isaac. I've plalyed more Skyrim in the last year than any MMO. There are TONS of excellent games to play. As for community... well, you got me there, but I play everything through Steam so I never feel like I'm "alone" playing a game.