Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll: Are you currently playing any F2P MMORPG?

Comments

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by nariusseldon

Originally posted by AlBQuirky
    Star Trek Online. Having some fun now and again with this one. Don't feel the need to log in everyday by any means.Ryzom. Giving this a try and enjoying the little I've played thus far.
    That is the point of F2P games (or no sub games). There is no pressure. Play this game some today .. play another tomorrow. It is about having fun. Play whever float your boat this moment.
    I have never, and I mean never felt I had to log into game I have ever played due to a sub fee. When I played EQ, I came home from work and logged in because I wanted to. I was having fun. There was so much to do and not enough time to do it all! That lasted over 3 years.

The same goes for City of Heroes. I logged into that game everyday for over a year because, believe it or not, I was having fun in the game, not because I felt I had to milk every penny out of my *gasp* $15 sub fee. I played the game off and on for over 3 years, going back often for extended periods of time.

I played GW2 for a little over a month and looked forward to logging in. That lasted until I got my first character to level 80 and then the bottom fell out of the game. I had no desire what-so-ever to log back in again. It's been about a month later now, and I finally logged back in. I log in now occasionally, but definitely do not feel pull that the previous 2 games had on me.

I realize you find this hard to understand, as your gaming needs appear to be different than my own. I seek a steady home. Someplace I don't have to keep re-learning over and over. You seek many various one-night stands. You have no trouble letting go and moving on to the next thing. 2 very different gaming styles.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Playing TSW occasionally since it went F2P.  

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by MindTrigger

Is it realy F2P? I just checked and it said it costs $30???

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

I'm currently taking a break to finish up Borderlands 2, but I do play STO and DCUO.

Both for lore reasons, mainly; although, I do like the DCUO combat.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• heocatheocat Member UncommonPosts: 178
    Just  DDO atm

• KiljaedenasKiljaedenas Member Posts: 468

Hmm...let's see...

-Legacy of a Thousand Suns through Facebook

-Battlestations through Facebook

-Pirate 101 (the recent MMORPG poll for goty etc made me decide to try it. Who the bloody hell thought that this was "innovative" or anything but another themepark grinder with a slightly different flavor?)

-Rage of Bahamut through my cellphone

-Galaxy Life through Facebook

-Galaxy Legion on Facebook

Recent-ish ones I tried but got bored of:

-Zombie Slayer on Facebook

-Pirate Clan on Facebook

-Age of Conan

Where's the any key?

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    PS2
  • strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Teala
    PS2

I thought I remembered you as bitterly anti-SoE

Of course there is a lot of that on this forum, but good to see some people at least giving them a chance.

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356
    I started playing russian version of Age of Wulin (its called Legends of Kung-Fu here). And this game is by far the best asian F2P MMORPG and immersed me in its world unlike RIFT, SWToR or Guild Wars 2. 
  • ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Currently not playing any mmos, contemplating Planetside 2 cause I love shooters.
  • TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Originally posted by strangiato2112
    Originally posted by Teala
    PS2

I thought I remembered you as bitterly anti-SoE

Of course there is a lot of that on this forum, but good to see some people at least giving them a chance.

I am a bitter, angry, SOE hater.   ^_^    I am playing becuase it is PS and I have friends playing it.  Gaming with friends trumps any bad feelings one might have.  I played WoW for years simply because of friends.   

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521

EQ2 and PS2 but buy SC when it's triple SC weekend... one week away from the looks of it image

I also consider GW2 from time to time but waiting until the term is over.

• FalconiumFalconium Member Posts: 20

Spiral Knights-

Love the combat system. The lack of a tank or healer role being replaced with crowd control for the bosses makes it really enjoyable. Gear can't compensate for a lack of skill like most games because even with the best equips you'll still get 2-hit in UFSC (end-game at the moment). Updates don't come a lot, other than the small event for holidays, but the community is tolerable, the economy isn't inflated, and the clockworks allow a new experience each play session!

Realm of the Mad God-

Mindless fun. A ----ton of dodging involved if you want to keep your character away from the scary thing called permadeath. I often find myself raging after each 8/8 death for a month, but I always end up coming back because of the vast amount of teamwork that is created with hard content with extremely harsh death penalty; however, the harsh death penalty is a double edged sword. I don't like losing months of progress on a character because Oryx 2 decided he'd 1-shot me.

• NonderyonNonderyon Member UncommonPosts: 189

Yes, i mean, you dont have to pay montly, just buy the game and you can play, like Gw. <- i dont play it, but this what i read at there site.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    F2P as in completely Free to play (no retail box, no sub). Im playing Planetside 2, Firefall beta, Swtor a few minutes every few days but im not playing them much. Also took a break from GW2. Feel kinda burned out on mmos so im spending more time playing Tales of Graces f on PS3.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

No, because I hate what the model is doing these games and their communities and so always pay a sub to support the other half of the market.

I also only ever play 1 MMORPG at a time, usually when I am feeling social, prefering solo games for the rest of the time (because they usully offer me a far better experience than playing solo in those games).

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

Star Trek Online. Having some fun now and again with this one. Don't feel the need to log in everyday by any means.

Ryzom. Giving this a try and enjoying the little I've played thus far.

That is the point of F2P games (or no sub games). There is no pressure. Play this game some today .. play another tomorrow. It is about having fun. Play whever float your boat this moment.

YEah this is why I really like f2p also...I used to feel pressure to play with p2p games to get my money's worth.....With f2p games I often take several months off and then come back when I feel like it.

MMOs I enjoy playing f2p: EQ, Anarchy Online, Atlantica Online, LoTRO, and Ryzom.....

I'm in no rush to hit level caps in any of these and it makes it so much more enjoyable being able to play them without any pressure.

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037
    Played a couple of sessions of Uncharted Waters Online last weekend, was left with the usual feeling that it has a lot of good ideas but isn't actually that much FUN.

And played some Planetside 2 the week before, good game but I'm such a horrible FPS player that it's hard to enjoy myself.
  • Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    I've never played a F2P mmorpg that held my attention for more than a month or so. So, no not playing any atm.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• therealeasytherealeasy Member Posts: 36
     -
  • PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093
    planetside 2 and age of conan. gw2, too, if that counts.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Banquetto
    Played a couple of sessions of Uncharted Waters Online last weekend, was left with the usual feeling that it has a lot of good ideas but isn't actually that much FUN.

And played some Planetside 2 the week before, good game but I'm such a horrible FPS player that it's hard to enjoy myself.

It is not that hard .. i am aweful at games like BF3 .. but i am doing ok and learn to head shot in PS2.

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107

Hmmm, given that definitions have no meaning, I see no reason why TSW, Diablo 3, GW2, and any other game with a box price on it is not F2P. 

To the OP, I was playing RaiderZ. Quit due to the horrible spamming. Otherwise, that game is pretty fun to me.

• WahrHeitWahrHeit Member UncommonPosts: 57

Planetside 2

Smite

A bit Firefall

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

Was playing GW2

Now playing SKYRIM