Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Elder Scrolls Online: The Dreugh Detailed

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The Elder Scrolls Online site has been updated with a new article featuring a look at the dreugh. The dreugh are formidable opponents that fans of TES will recognize from earlier games in the series. In TESO, dreugh will be encountered in the Stonefalls region.

The dreugh have two distinct morphologies: The Water Dreugh and the Land Dreugh.  Dreugh evolve into Land Dreugh at a period in their lifecycle called Karvinasim, where they grow legs and spend about a year on dry land.  Dreugh are primarily found in the eastern areas of Tamriel, but can likely also be found anywhere coastal.  Land Dreugh can be found as far inland as Cyrodiil.

Read more about the creative process behind the monster's creation on The Elder Scrolls Online site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    Looks like the Predator mated with a praying mantis.
  • Unknown23Unknown23 Member Posts: 47
    "2/15 Dreugh claws collected"
  • PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096
    Originally posted by Unknown23

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904
    That was an epicly long and full of usefull information!

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

HAHAHAHA

Quest Completed

Please select one of the rewards:

Dreugh Plate Boots    Dreugh Chain Boots    Dreugh Cloth Boots

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

The Elder Scrolls is more than just names and monster skins. So far this game still looks to be nothing more than DaoC 2 with names and skins changed to take advantage of Skyrims current popularity...I can only hope that changes as more information is released, but I am not sure that is going to help them, the vast majority of people talking on the TES sites are saying it doesnt matter how close they come to TES, without the ability to mod it like the computer games(the vast majority of TES players play it on the PC) they will not buy the game.

So, can the game be anything but TES for DaoC players?

Now im sure this is where someone comes in and says modding isnt that big or that more people play Skyrim on consoles which I will have to reply, sorry I dont think so. Skyrim sold more PC copies and Nexus has over 1 million members with the more popular mods near 500,000 unique downloads, with modding being so popular that the company worked directly with the modding community and steam to have a mod download shop setup before the game was released. On top of that, console gamers are mostly NOT MMORPGers so to target them with TESO would be...foolish. Yeah, think about the MMORPGs that are on the consoles that did not sell anywhere near the amount sold on PCs, and that I did NOT say NONE of them are MMORPG players.

So, who is the target? If they are not targeting PC tes fans because of the lack of modding not to mention drastically changing combat and skill structure, they cant really target the console tes fans because its an MMORPG, who is the target? If the target IS actually one of those things...then they dont actually know their target audience. Worse yet, how many TES fans are actually into MMORPGs? Who is the target audience?

These are serious questions, few people are actually asking them because most answers lead to disappointment in what the game is going to end up being.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• LizardoneLizardone Member Posts: 93
    Originally posted by mmoDAD

HAHAHAHA

Quest Completed

can I haz the wax that it drops? for crafting lol

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by jtcgs

Now im sure this is where someone comes in and says modding isnt that big or that more people play Skyrim on consoles which I will have to reply, sorry I dont think so. Skyrim sold more PC copies and Nexus has over 1 million members with the more popular mods near 500,000 unique downloads, with modding being so popular that the company worked directly with the modding community and steam to have a mod download shop setup before the game was released

I think you are going a bit over board,.

Sure, mods are liked and for some it's very important.

to that end, I can attest that except for some fixes I only use armor/weapon mods and maybe an adventure here and there. How many times have I downloaded a mod, deleted it and then changed my mind and downloaded it again? Others probably do this as well.

Incidentally, the top mod of all time is a menu change. The second one is Calientes big bottom body.

It's probably important to look at what is being downloaded by so many people.

Also 1 million members out of how many pc users who bought the game? At one point the game was noted to have sold 10 million copies between platforms. How many of those are pc I wonder? If it's a large part of that then that means only 1 million members are even using nexis. Not including the steam system but heck I've used both so how much overlap is that.

I don't believe that elderscrolls is "about" modding and therefore I don't think it's important to an elderscrolls mmo.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Neo_LibertyNeo_Liberty Member UncommonPosts: 437
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Now im sure this is where someone comes in and says modding isnt that big or that more people play Skyrim on consoles which I will have to reply, sorry I dont think so. Skyrim sold more PC copies and Nexus has over 1 million members with the more popular mods near 500,000 unique downloads, with modding being so popular that the company worked directly with the modding community and steam to have a mod download shop setup before the game was released

to that end, I can attest that except for some fixes I only use armor/weapon mods and maybe an adventure here and there. How many times have I downloaded a mod, deleted it and then changed my mind and downloaded it again? Others probably do this as well.

Incidentally, the top mod of all time is a menu change. The second one is Calientes big bottom body.

It's probably important to look at what is being downloaded by so many people.

Also 1 million members out of how many pc users who bought the game? At one point the game was noted to have sold 10 million copies between platforms. How many of those are pc I wonder? If it's a large part of that then that means only 1 million members are even using nexis. Not including the steam system but heck I've used both so how much overlap is that.

I don't believe that elderscrolls is "about" modding and therefore I don't think it's important to an elderscrolls mmo.

I think the question might be moot... who is asking if typical mmorpg fans will be interested in TES... that may be more important.. I don't like TES games typically... cause I had oblivion on console... and the gameplay mechanics wasn't my thing...

BUT.... that doesn't mean that I won't play the mmo.

Originally posted by Neo_Liberty

I think the question might be moot... who is asking if typical mmorpg fans will be interested in TES... that may be more important.. I don't like TES games typically... cause I had oblivion on console... and the gameplay mechanics wasn't my thing...

BUT.... that doesn't mean that I won't play the mmo.

That's a very good point.

My guess is that they are going for "mmo players" (well we know that I suppose) and believe that their IP is strong enough that it will be attractive to mmo players.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Not the highlighted text? And that is from STEAMs mod download page. Throw in the nexus mod site and that will jump to over 2 million unique downloads.

The UI, which is number 1 and just so happens to be one of the biggest MMORPG playert gripes as well BTW. Second is not the body mod, its the high res textures followed by the hair mod. This is just Skyrim. Throw in Oblivion and you find near 100 mods with over 4 MILLION unique downloads, several of them add in fully detailed lands and storylines that are fan created.

You can try to spin the importance of the mods all you want to but the fact remains that even the COMPANY thought that the mods were so important that they had the design team work with Nexus and Steam to ready a modding page and have tools available, which the MODDING COMMUNITY WORK ON to make sure they would have the ability to make mods quickly.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• Unknown23Unknown23 Member Posts: 47
    Originally posted by mmoDAD

HAHAHAHA

Quest Completed

Haha we're joking about it now. Just wait when the game is released it's totally gonna be in there.

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879
    if its DAOC 2 with elder scroll skins ... I will be there for years
  • Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865
    Originally posted by Ecoces

I think that is the point. If you are a DAOC fan you are probably going to love this game.

If you are an Elder scrolls fan you are probably frustrated with the direction of the game.

Since they're appealing to DAOC fans, why not just get the rights and call it DAOC 2

Originally posted by Johnie-Marz

I think that is the point. If you are a DAOC fan you are probably going to love this game.

If you are an Elder scrolls fan you are probably frustrated with the direction of the game.

Since they're appealing to DAOC fans, why not just get the rights and call it DAOC 2

That was the entire point of my post.

Who are they targetting and can they target any of them without losing most by doing so. Target TES fans, lose most because they just plain cant do it with a traditional MMORPG and then its WHICH TES fan, PC or Console whichis even harder with MMOs, or target DaoC fans and hope there are enough of what is already a small amount of people that not only still care for an updated version, but want an updated version in a new setting they may be unfamiliar with!

It all comes down to the target audience and if they are actually doing that, if they are not...this is just another SWTOR in the making. A title trying to target a series fanbase and missing the mark in a big way, and seeing as how this company is owned by a major corporation, if they do miss the mark, funding cuts will come quick.

So, I sure hope this isnt DaoC with TES skins. I dont want the title to fail, I would LOVE to see TES in MMO form but I just havent seen any signs of it yet, all I am seeing is the names and skins from TES and a company that cannot think outside the box of traditional MMORPGs.

Did they ever think of just making a TES game, like a TES game, only giving it ONLINE capabilities...and actually targetting 100% of the series FANBASE! Jebus...that CAN be done you know and in a way that the company can continually make money off it by continually making DLCs and even have an item shop.

Not the highlighted text? And that is from STEAMs mod download page. Throw in the nexus mod site and that will jump to over 2 million unique downloads.

The UI, which is number 1 and just so happens to be one of the biggest MMORPG playert gripes as well BTW. Second is not the body mod, its the high res textures followed by the hair mod. This is just Skyrim. Throw in Oblivion and you find near 100 mods with over 4 MILLION unique downloads, several of them add in fully detailed lands and storylines that are fan created.

You can try to spin the importance of the mods all you want to but the fact remains that even the COMPANY thought that the mods were so important that they had the design team work with Nexus and Steam to ready a modding page and have tools available, which the MODDING COMMUNITY WORK ON to make sure they would have the ability to make mods quickly.

I did note the highligted text. But that doesn't mean that combined with Nexus that there are 2 million individuals downloading mods. I imagine some people use both steam and nexus. I know I do.

I question the validty of 4 million separate oblvion downloads meaning 4 million separate people downloded them.

Oblvion sold far more on the consoles and I don't believe they cracked the 4 million mark from the numbers I've seen.

But I'd be more than happy if you linked me (which might be difficult I admit) to pc and console sales.

And of course they thinnk mods are important. It's a way to extend the life of their game and keep it viable years after that game has been shipped. That doesn't mean they think their IP is "ship a game and let the players finish it".

It's a component of the game but it's not needed in an mmo.

edit: I'll ad that mods allow players to make the game experience one that is unique to their tastes. But these are single player games. An mmo is not a single player game and it's a shared experience. Other than creating tools such as what Ryzom or STO has and allow players to upload their own assets and create their own adventures, I can only forsee issues. Unless of course that is what you are thinking and then I will admit your point.

additionally I am well aware of the interface/menu system being one of the number one issues. However, that goes more to the pont that bethesda isn't great at details (or even following through for that matter) and players wanting some sort of fix.

I don't consider fixes to be anything other than fixing Bethesda's issues. Not enhancing game experience.

I did note the highligted text. But that doesn't mean that combined with Steam that there are 2 million individuals downloading mods. I imagine some people use both steam and nexus. I know I do.

I question the validty of 4 million separate oblvion downloads meaning 4 million separate people downloded them.

Oblvion sold far more on the consoles and I don't believe they cracked the 4 million mark from the numbers I've seen.

But I'd be more than happy if you linked me (which might be difficult I admit) to pc and console sales.

And of course they thinnk mods are important. It's a way to extend the life of their game and keep it viable years after that game has been shipped. That doesn't mean they think their IP is "ship a game and let the players finish it".

oh dear lord..

Nexus is its OWN site with its own tracker, if you ever actually downloaded a single mod from them before you would know how they can track each download, who is doing it and how they can count UNIQUE download, especially now that thier mod manager is fully integrated with the nexus netowork.

BTW, Nexus and Steam, two different places, two different servers, two different groups keeping track of who is downloading what, they are not counting each others downloads. 

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

The Elder Scrolls is more than just names and monster skins. So far this game still looks to be nothing more than DaoC 2 with names and skins changed to take advantage of Skyrims current popularity..

game was in development before skyrim existed.

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879
    Originally posted by Johnie-Marz

as an Elder scrolls fan i am not disappointed with the direction of the game, if anyone thought this would be like MMO skyrim they were fooling themselves.

you have to be a realist and unfortunately not many on the MMORPG.com forum are.

I did note the highligted text. But that doesn't mean that combined with Steam that there are 2 million individuals downloading mods. I imagine some people use both steam and nexus. I know I do.

oh dear lord..

Nexus is its OWN site with its own tracker, if you ever actually downloaded a single mod from them before you would know how they can track each download, who is doing it and how they can count UNIQUE download, especially now that thier mod manager is fully integrated with the nexus netowork.

BTW, Nexus and Steam, two different places, two different servers, two different groups keeping track of who is downloading what, they are not counting each others downloads. 

You can knock of the drama, I know full well what nexus is and visit it every single day. I have over 67 mods installed into my game, all but 11 are from nexus.

And I fixed my typo so your second part is no longer needed. And that's my point, they are two differnt groups trackign their own  downloads and I suspect there is one core group of players who use both steam and nexus to get mods.

I'm looking through oblvion mods and the most I can find are 1 million"plus" "unique" downloads for the more popular mods. Over the course of sales how many copies did it sell? How many were pc?

I suspect that of the pc users you are have 1 milliion players upwards to the 2 million mark who use any mods at all. And as I've said, "what" is being downloaded. fixes? Glam mods to make one's own very special "Red Sonja"? Of course there are some excellent mods but what mods are really garnering those numbers.

I'm going through the mods and I've yet to see any unique downloads over 1.8 million and there is a sharp drop after a you go down the list.

Perhaps you can help me. Because if "unique" means different accounts then I can tell you I've had 3 separate nexus accounts, two I lost my passowrd to and my current one. So are those 3 accounts, over the life of a game being considered unique? And how many others have made additional accounts?

You can knock of the drama, I know full well what nexus is and visit it every single day. I have over 67 mods installed into my game, all but 11 are from nexus.

Ahh the power of quotes.

You say one thing, I reply pointing out how you are wrong, then reply as if you never said anything to imply it which as can been seen above, you did.

Nexus alone has mods logged with that amount of unique downloads and you have no way to dismiss it, the fact that you tried shows some kind of desperation on your part to debunk what I said. Now that you are trying really realy hard to dismiss the importance of mods to the fanbase, while defending it, you are either trolling or trying to trap me into whatever. Either way, the point of your original argument has been lost, and apparently, to yourself. Time to move on.

BTW, really loved how you felt the need to say that you go to the Nexus every...single...day.

Ahh the power of quotes.

You say one thing, I reply pointing out how you are wrong, then reply as if you never said anything to imply it which as can been seen above, you did.

Nexus alone has mods logged with that amount of unique downloads and you have no way to dismiss it, the fact that you tried shows some kind of desperation on your part to debunk what I said. Now that you are trying really realy hard to dismiss the importance of mods to the fanbase, while defending it, you are either trolling or trying to trap me into whatever. Either way, the point of your original argument has been lost, and apparently, to yourself. Time to move on.

BTW, really loved how you felt the need to say that you go to the Nexus every...single...day.

your point doesn't stand.

yes I do go to it every day. What's your point? that "I" like mods? I have already said that i "only use armor and weapon mods, fixes, and at times quests". I do like mods though and I do enjoy seeing what other create. part of this is because in real life I too create and I love seeing the work of others.

Now how does that lead us to "mods are an integral part of the elder scrolls experience"? It might be for you and it might be for me "sometimes" (more on that ) but I tend to stay away from the idea that because something is important to me it's important to everyone.

1, 4 million unique accounts for oblvion does not mean 4 million separate users who all actively mod their game like you or I might. Those can be multiple accounts over years by a set amount of users (and some new of course.)

2, As we both know nexus and steam are separate entities. Each tracking their own downloads and accounts. However, just because one has x amount of accounts and one has y amount of accounts doesn't mean that: A those are all completely different people and not people who use both sites, B might be people who have multiple accounts and I've mentioned that I have, at least for nexus, C people who are ardently into mods and not just people who thought, hey, I'll check it out and see what it's about.

3, mods started with Morrowind if I'm not mistaken. There are other elder scrolls games before morrowind. Additionally, morrowind was both console and pc and Bethesda has said that console players outnumber pc players and therefore their elderscrolls experience (up to this point) did not include mods. So there are quite a few people who have played earlier elderscrolls games that didn't use mods and there are many players now who are not cued into the mod scene because they are console players.

4,Editing again. I only found "downloads" going over 2 million but the same mods have many less "unique" downloads. Non going over that i can find. Most of the mods I am looking at seem to be in the thousands for downloads however.  Nexus mod manager has only 1,380,908 or so million "unique" downloads. So, for a game that has sold upwards of 10 million or more copies, that's not quite an overwhelming amount. It's nice but for a game that has sold millions more one would think that some of those mods would go over 2 million, especially some of the fixes, and that the average player would at least be interested in those.

5, mods don't belong in the online game unless you are talking about some sort of tools like sto or ryzom. mods are about tweaking the experience of the single player game. It's not about forcing your preferences on everyone. but again if it's the former then I concede the point on how they can be interesting and fun.

So yeah, I love good mods and like to see what people are doing but I don't make the leap that the entire elder scrolls playerbase is as ardent as I am.

Oh, and I do, many times, play complete vanilla morrowind, oblivion and at one point skyrim because it's a very different feel.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    I don't remember Dreugh running around dry land on crab legs like that.  Ever.  Am I remembering them wrong or are these totally different than in other Elder Scrolls games?

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

Originally posted by Vhaln
    I don't remember Dreugh running around dry land on crab legs like that.  Am I remembering them wrong or are these totally different than in other Elder Scrolls games?

Oblvion had them that way. they were in the water in morrowind.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    Originally posted by Vhaln
    I don't remember Dreugh running around dry land on crab legs like that.  Am I remembering them wrong or are these totally different than in other Elder Scrolls games?

Oblvion had them that way. they were in the water in morrowind.

Ah. barey played that one, compared to Morrowind or Skyrim.  Guess that's why I don't remember.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.