Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is the new "action oriented" combat the future of the MMORPG genre?

Comments

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995
    Originally posted by Neo_Liberty
    Originally posted by strangiato2112
    Originally posted by Trudge34

Me personally, although I liked the combat, after a while I didn't really care for it. In an MMO I prefer something more along the lines of EQ that allow you to relax, socialize, have fun and not be required to mash a ton of buttons to be on the top of your game. Like someone said above, give me something to fight for and good progression, strategy in fights and I'm fine. Combat isn't the main focus for me on MMOs. 

Exactly.  It takes away from the social aspect of MMORPGs, which is barely hanging on by a thread as it is. And it becomesjust as repetetive after you learn an enemy's moves.  BAMs were throroughly unimpressive to me, they were tedious.

lol.. combat taking away from socializing? lol... combat is for fighting.. fights are suppose to be intense.. otherwise wouldn't they call it something like playing.. or having a cup of tea... you socialize outside of combat.. or in between battles... they are other things in games to do... crafing.. exploring... combat has nothing to do with socialization.. i could understand if you were referring to grouping vs soloing.. but high speed combat makes ppl solo in mmo's? ridiculous.

If you played old school MMORPGs, you would realize that strangiato2112 is actually dead on with this comment.  I hadn't really put much thought into it, but it was very difficult to talk to anyone in GW2 unless I was sitting in town specifically for the purpose of socializing (glorified chat room) or I was on TS or Vent with people that I already knew.  MMORPGs prior to all of the "action combat" facilitated social interaction significantly more than the current action oriented games.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by azzamasin
    Sorry jsut because fast action combat is a staple of other mediums and genres doesnt preclude the use of the word when describing soemthing for the MMO's which is new:1: the introduction of something new
    2: a new idea, method, or device : novelty
    — in·no·va·tion·al -shn?l, -sh?-n?ladjective  

I am sure Dungeon & Dragons Online was not the first action combat MMO released, back in 2006. Maybe it was. There are LOTS of action combat games out now, today. Off the top of my head: Vindictus; Dragon's Nest; DCUO; and AoC.

When does something stop being innovative?

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• Inf666Inf666 Member UncommonPosts: 513

I hope action oriented MMOs will become a major type. I am pretty sure it will not become THE prevailing type of the future though.

I love the combat of games like TERA, Oblivion, Skyrim or Dark Souls. Its is fun and you have an immersion that cannot be topped by the tab-targeting third person combat games. What I do not want though is a fast skill spam with no regards to tactics / strategy.

Combat system and difficulty of Dark Souls + quests from GW2 + crafting from SWG + Eve-Style game world ? Yes please.

---
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    Originally posted by Quizzical
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

It seems the more keys there are to press, the better the combat is hailed.

Action combat tends to give you fewer keys to press than WoW-style "how do you want to arrange your five hotbars" combat.  It's what you do with those fewer keys that matters.

That's kind of why I like it.

I REALLY liked Tera's combat. For the first time in any mmo I felt like I was thinking and reacting and moving in a fast and fluid state.

As opposed to: "I'm being rushed tab tab tab "pass over actual target" tab oops, back tab, hit "1" then hit "3" then I want ctrl 1 "oops finger didn't quite make it and I hit the 'windows' button and now my game has minimized".

The action combat, admittedly with my naga mouse, has made it so that my hands can have minimal movement and I can do everything without flying all over the keyboard.

It's like I can throw a ball without having to jump, do a twist in mid air, stick my tongue out and THEN get to throw.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

Action combat can be very fun if done properly, but GW2 is an example of how not to do it.

I'll take WoW combat over GW2, it is exhausting to run around every single mob constantly. If you're going to include action combat, the game has to be built for it (kinda like Vindictus). Grindy + tedious action combat = fail.

Now, if an MMO comes out with the combat depth of say DMC or Ninja Gaiden, I'll be in heaven, but circle strafing is booooooooring.

Look at Skyrim, terrible combat, just boring as can be. But you don't play Skyrim for the combat, you play it for the magnificent world and depth of exploration.

I guess what it boils down to is that the combat and type of game you're making need to match.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

I hope not.  I hate it.  

Bring back strategic combat.  Sick of GCD clickfests and the new 'action' trend on top of that.

What is this "strategic combat" you speak of?

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

Originally posted by azzamasin
    Sorry jsut because fast action combat is a staple of other mediums and genres doesnt preclude the use of the word when describing soemthing for the MMO's which is new:

1: the introduction of something new
    2: a new idea, method, or device : novelty
    — in·no·va·tion·al -shn?l, -sh?-n?ladjective  

I am sure Dungeon & Dragons Online was not the first action combat MMO released, back in 2006. Maybe it was. There are LOTS of action combat games out now, today. Off the top of my head: Vindictus; Dragon's Nest; DCUO; and AoC.

When does something stop being innovative?

I'm going to guess it stops being innovative after GW2 does it?  After all, GW2 looks like it's going to win the "Most Innovative  Game of 2012" on MMORPG.com.  It couldn't do that if it's innovation didn't count because it had been done before.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Rusque

Action combat can be very fun if done properly, but GW2 is an example of how not to do it.

I'll take WoW combat over GW2, it is exhausting to run around every single mob constantly. If you're going to include action combat, the game has to be built for it (kinda like Vindictus). Grindy + tedious action combat = fail.

Now, if an MMO comes out with the combat depth of say DMC or Ninja Gaiden, I'll be in heaven, but circle strafing is booooooooring.

Look at Skyrim, terrible combat, just boring as can be. But you don't play Skyrim for the combat, you play it for the magnificent world and depth of exploration.

I guess what it boils down to is that the combat and type of game you're making need to match.

Skyrim, i thought personally the archery and the magic combat in that was pretty awesome, but i know where your going with the melee combat, it wasnt really as much fun as the other options, despite the cutscene killshots.. but action based combat itself is something of a mixed bag, its been attempted in different forms in various games, with some success, and with a lot of failure tbh, DCUO springs to mind in terms of abject failure, though im not sure you can really add GW2 to the fail pile, though i would agree that running around dodging all the time is not a play style i'd subscribe to any time soon. Action combat style gameplay though, i just don't see it being really all that popular, it may be fast and a tad frenetic at times, but that kind of gameplay gets boring and repetitive very quickly, and its only of limited appeal anyway, theres a reason why so many people still play WoW after all, its a style of combat that people feel comfortable with, and its been mirrored across several games, not just MMO's, so while i don't see action style combat dominating future games, i don't really see it disappearing either, hate to say it but that style of gameplay really does suit console games, but seriously, i think its probably going to be more single player game orientated, than MMO'simage

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by tom_gore

I hope not.  I hate it.  

Bring back strategic combat.  Sick of GCD clickfests and the new 'action' trend on top of that.

It is a relic from a former era.  We can go visit it in a museum.

In all seriousness... I wouldn't mind seeing a few new games trying Final Fantasy Tactics style combat.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Planetside 2 has the best combat of any mmo.

Hope future mmos drop the tab Target and use real aiming too.
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

It's certain by now that no one has a clear crystal ball regarding "the future of the industry".

Why keep attending psychic readings?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• Trudge34Trudge34 Member UncommonPosts: 392
    Originally posted by killion81

Me personally, although I liked the combat, after a while I didn't really care for it. In an MMO I prefer something more along the lines of EQ that allow you to relax, socialize, have fun and not be required to mash a ton of buttons to be on the top of your game. Like someone said above, give me something to fight for and good progression, strategy in fights and I'm fine. Combat isn't the main focus for me on MMOs. 

Exactly.  It takes away from the social aspect of MMORPGs, which is barely hanging on by a thread as it is. And it becomesjust as repetetive after you learn an enemy's moves.  BAMs were throroughly unimpressive to me, they were tedious.

lol.. combat taking away from socializing? lol... combat is for fighting.. fights are suppose to be intense.. otherwise wouldn't they call it something like playing.. or having a cup of tea... you socialize outside of combat.. or in between battles... they are other things in games to do... crafing.. exploring... combat has nothing to do with socialization.. i could understand if you were referring to grouping vs soloing.. but high speed combat makes ppl solo in mmo's? ridiculous.

If you played old school MMORPGs, you would realize that strangiato2112 is actually dead on with this comment.  I hadn't really put much thought into it, but it was very difficult to talk to anyone in GW2 unless I was sitting in town specifically for the purpose of socializing (glorified chat room) or I was on TS or Vent with people that I already knew.  MMORPGs prior to all of the "action combat" facilitated social interaction significantly more than the current action oriented games.

Exactly. Playing Tera it was impossible to talk, ask a question, give directions or shout out that we had an add or need to reposition a mob without opening myself up to taking a huge amount of damage. Being a tank, I couldn't type without taking down my block. So most of the runs were just zergs flying by the seat of my pants not really knowing what was going on. Much prefer to talk on the fly instead of taking 5 minutes of downtime to explain each different fight.

Raiding in EQ, I was always talking with a few of our other officers along with some key guildies that knew strats of the boss we were clearing towards. I'd be in tells or officer chat constantly with 3 or 4 people during the whole raid, plus doing my job as the main or secondary tank. Would prefer that much more than having to focus 100% on just the combat. 

Played: EQ1 (10 Years), Guild Wars, Rift, TERA
    Tried: EQ2, Vanguard, Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Runes of Magic and countless others...
    Currently Playing: GW2

Nytlok Sylas
    80 Sylvari Ranger

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Why not? If players find action combat fun ... it will appear more and more in MMOs.
  • Inf666Inf666 Member UncommonPosts: 513

Exactly. Playing Tera it was impossible to talk, ask a question, give directions or shout out that we had an add or need to reposition a mob without opening myself up to taking a huge amount of damage. Being a tank, I couldn't type without taking down my block. So most of the runs were just zergs flying by the seat of my pants not really knowing what was going on. Much prefer to talk on the fly instead of taking 5 minutes of downtime to explain each different fight.

Raiding in EQ, I was always talking with a few of our other officers along with some key guildies that knew strats of the boss we were clearing towards. I'd be in tells or officer chat constantly with 3 or 4 people during the whole raid, plus doing my job as the main or secondary tank. Would prefer that much more than having to focus 100% on just the combat. 

What about a voice tool like teamspeak or mumble? Direct voice communication is faster and has a higher information density. For most guilds (or teams in other multiplayer games) using a voice tool for instances or pvp matches is mandatory.

---
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by LadyEuphei
    I will take action combat over sit and press 123 123 over and over again any dayimage. I love to dodge roll run and all that stuff. 

Yep, <dodge> 123 <roll>123 is WAY better than 123 123!!

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    Originally posted by dave6660
    Originally posted by tom_gore

I hope not.  I hate it.  

It is a relic from a former era.  We can go visit it in a museum.

In all seriousness... I wouldn't mind seeing a few new games trying Final Fantasy Tactics style combat.

could you go into detail about that?

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Trudge34Trudge34 Member UncommonPosts: 392
    Originally posted by Inf666

What about a voice tool like teamspeak or mumble? Direct voice communication is faster and has a higher information density. For most guilds (or teams in other multiplayer games) using a voice tool for instances or pvp matches is mandatory.

I do use Vent with my guild on EQ2. Problem is if you get like 3 or 4 people talking it's impossible to get a word in. Maybe in just a group dynamic it would be fine, but still. Plus I don't always want to be subject to having to listen, adjust my mic constantly and people's volumes or get stuck with the hyperactive 12 year old. I still prefer the chat window in game since I'm a fast typer, can listen to my music or whatever I want without worrying about hearing a conversation or having my ear drums blown out by a spaz on chat.

Played: EQ1 (10 Years), Guild Wars, Rift, TERA
    Tried: EQ2, Vanguard, Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Runes of Magic and countless others...
    Currently Playing: GW2

Nytlok Sylas
    80 Sylvari Ranger

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Inf666

I do use Vent with my guild on EQ2. Problem is if you get like 3 or 4 people talking it's impossible to get a word in. Maybe in just a group dynamic it would be fine, but still. Plus I don't always want to be subject to having to listen, adjust my mic constantly and people's volumes or get stuck with the hyperactive 12 year old. I still prefer the chat window in game since I'm a fast typer, can listen to my music or whatever I want without worrying about hearing a conversation or having my ear drums blown out by a spaz on chat.

Voice chat has its large share of disadvantages.

For one, you cant really multi-channel effectively.  Those of us in EQ remember being in /raid, /officer, /guildclass, /guildtank...etc.  With smaller raids specialized info is less important, but there will usually be a raid strategy type of channel where the raid leader communicates with the officers and the information shouldnt go out to everyone else.  

Second, while its eaiser to give instructions in voice, its easier (and faster) to receive them in text.  It processes faster, and with less error.  In EQ we used lots of macros, and coordnation was just as strong, if not more so.

Also, raiding with headphones on for a couple hours gets uncomfortable no matter how expensive your headphones are, and there are always people severely inconvenienced by voice (those with families that they need to be alert to, those that prefer music while they play, etc)

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

I only hope that developers don't go with FPS-controls like Darkfall or the likes. It's horrible to play a MMORPG when you aren't able to zoom out and look at the whole thing from above, especially when we're talking mass-combat.

The Secret World has a good system with it's 7 active and 7 passive skillslots in addition to the dodging. Add collision detection for players, so that you can't shoot/cast through other players and we're golden.
    The only problem with The Secret World is, that it doesn't have enough zoom. The camera is too close to your character with max zoom out.

• rommellorommello Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 185
    i want open world vindictus with lots more classes along with even more physics involved & dont say raiderz that game is terrible

hallo ~_~

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

I hope not.  I hate it.  

Agreed.

The cooldowns in Rift were so horrible that I quit 15 mins. into beta 2. I'd like to watch the game, not the cooldown bars, thank you very much.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Many of the new MMORPGs are releasing with more action oriented combat.  Some will say this new brand of combat is more skill based.  In my opinion, it feels like a new sub-genre, Multiplayer Online Action Roleplaying Games or MOARPGs.  I think there is plenty of room for a well designed MMORPG with traditional MMORPG combat.

How does everyone else feel about this?  Is this the future of the MMORPG genre?  Do you enjoy traditional MMORPG combat?  Is one type of combat better than the other in your opinion (and why)?

To be honost I love current MMO combat, it's much more exciting but at the same time I also dislike that this genre has become this mainly combat oriented online games. It's the RPG aspect is what I miss in today's MMORPG. But not the singleplayer RPG parts brought into this genre, but the RPG where what you see NPC's doing in singleplayer games should be optional and things players should be able to do in a MMORPG.

• Neo_LibertyNeo_Liberty Member UncommonPosts: 437

you are exaggerating.. with gw2/ idk about tera's mechanics.. all you have to do is disengage the enemy and start typing... I have done it before myself....

we were fighting a champ mob and his hp kept regenerating.. everyone kept typing.. this must be a bug.. this must be a bug... and i stepped away from the fight long enough to say that the mob has probably been kited too far from its original position... so it reset and instead of pulling it from its original position i engaged it there... the other guy then followed my example and the fight went fine....

as i said before... combat is for combat.... even if you can't talk during it at certain times... most communication isn't necessary and if it is.. there are times when you can talk... if combat is so slow and boring that i can have full conversations.. I don't want to play it. If you don't want to focus on the combat.. you must not really care for combat in general... combat is the basis for most games across all platforms... so to say that you want it to be less hectic/less exciting is like being against combat itself.

not to mention i've played point and clicks.. where no one ever talked during combat... ppl only talk if you mess up or they can't figure out what to do on their own.. most combat is so easy that talking about it isn't necessary.. even gw2/tera....  also a lot of the time.. ppl monkey see monkey do... if i'm being successful with my tactics and others notice this they will copy me.... talking is not necessary.

• Neo_LibertyNeo_Liberty Member UncommonPosts: 437
    Originally posted by Reklaw

Many of the new MMORPGs are releasing with more action oriented combat.  Some will say this new brand of combat is more skill based.  In my opinion, it feels like a new sub-genre, Multiplayer Online Action Roleplaying Games or MOARPGs.  I think there is plenty of room for a well designed MMORPG with traditional MMORPG combat.

How does everyone else feel about this?  Is this the future of the MMORPG genre?  Do you enjoy traditional MMORPG combat?  Is one type of combat better than the other in your opinion (and why)?

To be honost I love current MMO combat, it's much more exciting but at the same time I also dislike that this genre has become this mainly combat oriented online games. It's the RPG aspect is what I miss in today's MMORPG. But not the singleplayer RPG parts brought into this genre, but the RPG where what you see NPC's doing in singleplayer games should be optional and things players should be able to do in a MMORPG.

This..

games revolve around combat.. its only natural that they try to make it as exciting and enjoyable as possible. as i said in my original post action combat isn't about the combat mechanics.. its the speed of the combat.. point and click can be just exciting when the fight doesn't  take 1-5 minutes for normal mobs. you still have to pay attention and time your skills...

that being said... the combat speed is not relevant to what you do outside of combat.. ppl complain about interaction... but if the only time you interact is during combat... than its not much of an mmo.