Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll: Funcom or Bioware?

funconfuncon Member UncommonPosts: 279
Hello everyone. What do you think of Funcom? What about Bioware? Are they the same company?

Comments

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    I think you should add a poll

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• minttunatorminttunator Member UncommonPosts: 131
    What are you talking about? Are Funcom and Bioware similar? No. 
  • Roman291Roman291 Member UncommonPosts: 104
    When it comes to MMO's Funcom is better, but overall Bioware is better. Bioware's past RPG's are awesome.
  • FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

If you believe Funcom is owned by EA... wrong

EA is only distributing physical discs for FC in case of TSW.

FC is a much more experienced MMO developer than Bioware, and they stick to their update plans.

Looking at TOR the number of bad decisions and empty promises is unbeatable by any other dev.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

BioWare was sold to EA in 2007.  Funcom might eventually be sold to EA, but thus far is still independent.

So kind of an odd question... BioWare was an awesome company prior to 2007 (before being sold), while currently it's an inferior subdivision of EA .... so .. was Funcom an awesome company prior to being sold (possibly 2013)?  An OK / good company, sure.  A great / awesome company? naw

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• MarirranyaMarirranya Member Posts: 154

i used to like bioware :<

i still like fc heh :3

There are people who play games and then there are gamers.

http://alzplz.blogspot.com

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    I think of FunCom as a big Indie.  Perhaps a bit mismanaged in the past, but the general impression I get is they take pride in their work and games.  Also, they don't seem to be afraid to take risks with designs outside of industry standards.  I like that.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    The funny thing is funcom made a better single player game too.
  • Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    funcom ,still  making great game,last bioware great game was kotor
  • ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401
    Where is the poll??
  • svandysvandy Member UncommonPosts: 277

I don't get the Funcom hatred. I have only played two Funcom games, TSW and AoC, and I liked one and love the other. Don't blame Funcom if you bought a lifetime sub and feel you are getting screwed, no one put a gun to anyone's head and made them get a lifetime sub. TSW is one of the better themepary MMORPGs out there right now (the best, in my opinion), despite what the naysayers say about it.

Funcom realized the game was struggling and decided to go B2P. In fact if you read the TSW forums, Joel has been very candid and honest about the whole affair which is very refreshing. None of this "we just wanted to give more people a chance to play this awesome game!" He admits that GW2 hurt their sales, he admits that they were losing money and he was afraid they'd have to fire more devs, so a decision was made. That his how you handle a price model conversion, players appreciate honesty.

Bioware on the other hand... when their game was struggling they charged people for action bars.

Please visit my youtube channel for some H1Z1/DayZ casual roleplay videos!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrQoK5VZlwBBzpsksmXtjMQ

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    BioWare is pathetic now, so of course FC wins. We'll see how Ragnar's departure will affect their games, but so far they've been at least good and often great.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    The OP might be on to something, after all you never actually see them in the same room together AT THE SAME TIME!! can't believe nobody noticed this earlier!!! image
  • ChipSet91ChipSet91 Member UncommonPosts: 39
    Bioware was a good company before they became the pets of Electronic arts share holder. So in my opinion Funcom is a better gaming company.
  • dancingstardancingstar Member UncommonPosts: 362
    Originally posted by Phry
    The OP might be on to something, after all you never actually see them in the same room together AT THE SAME TIME!! can't believe nobody noticed this earlier!!! image

It's a conspiracy I tell ya!

OP: This is a forum for discussion of the game, The Secret World.

You appear to be a character who has escaped from that game.

• VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555
    I was expecting a poll.......

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
      Im cool with both...hell I bounce between the two companies MMOs

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• DarkOmegaDarkOmega Member Posts: 28
    Funcom is so far below Bioware's league it's not even funny. If you were to compare them to TV shows it would be like comparing Jersey Shore or "insert lolreality show here" (Funcom) to Firefly or Breaking Bad (Bioware).
  • ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    When you finally add the poll, please put in the "Neither" and "Both" options.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• CultOfXtcCultOfXtc Member Posts: 378
    Funcom by far.  Bioware is dead.

THE SECRET WORLD - PAY ONCE PLAY FOREVER - Give it a go!

http://www.thesecretworld.com/buy/

OR PM ME FOR A BUDDY KEY (need your email address).

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by DarkOmega
    Funcom is so far below Bioware's league it's not even funny. If you were to compare them to TV shows it would be like comparing Jersey Shore or "insert lolreality show here" (Funcom) to Firefly or Breaking Bad (Bioware).

Partially true, if we're talking old Bioware then yes, if we're talking new Bioware... then you're comparing Jersey Shore to The Honey Boo Boo show... no real winners here but at least Jersey Shore has the retarded humor/feel about it.

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

What if we could have both?

Comware

Biocom

Funware

Biofun

Funware sounds the most entertaining. But 'Biofun' makes me laugh out loud.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by Zorgo

Funware sounds the most entertaining. But 'Biofun' makes me laugh out loud.

• CantorageCantorage Member Posts: 186

There are many BioWares. There is only one Funcom.

But I assume you're comparing to the BioWare studio that made SW:ToR (and only SW:ToR so far) and in that regard Funcom smashes them with a critical hit.

The Longest Journey is one of my favorite games of all time, and even ignoring that for just AoC and TSW I still find Funcom's MMOs better. Looking at how BioWare handled cutscenes and how Funcom handled them with TSW, that alone is enough to put TSW years ahead. Then there's these points:

-SW:ToR's environment detail and "lifelikeness" is probably the worst of any MMO I can remember, while both Age of Conan and TSW are well in the top five if not alone on the throne.

-Funcom's games reward exploration, BioWare actively hinder it.

-BioWare has a serious copy/paste issue in mission design, Funcom doesn't.

-BioWare's writers more often shoot for epic drama, stretch-of-the-imagination twists and clichés, where Funcom actively avoids them, favoring the understated and quirky instead. (To my personal taste Funcom wins again)

-Graphics. Sure, we don't all care about graphics, but there's no denying Funcom wins here too.

When throwing the "old" BioWare into the mix it's a different story, as you have to compare a mountain of AAA Bioware game classics to just one Funcom classic. (TLJ) But since this is an MMORPG site...

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Biocom sounds like some evil corporation in some sort of resident evil ripoff.