Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it worth it?

I want to start playing the game and am considering subscribing but am worried that the game will not be worth it. Mainly because of the fall in subs over the last while... So I want you opinion on whether this game is worth starting, or if it's on it's way out.

Comments

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

I suggest you simply download the game client and give it a try as F2P player first.

You can upgrade to a subcription later or simply stay on F2P if you like it.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• LamesaurLamesaur Member Posts: 2
    yeah but i want to have all the races unlocked
  • jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

All freemium games are on their way out. it could be 6 months, could be a year, could be 3 years. but they are all on their way out.

A company does not change their business model unless they must do so and no freemium has ever succeeded in keeping a large amount of the so called people the new business model is targetting. lower incoming money = less money the company has to reinvest in the game which means a lower amount of support which means less content than should be which drives even more people away and the cycle repeats itself.

Biowares freemium offer is less than average, youll find yourself having to pay for some crazy things that other freemiums dont make you pay for, this will keep their new revenue low and will frustrate far more people into not wanting to subscribe at all because most of the decent parts of the game is locked. This is not Biowares fault, nor EAs fault, they are following in the lines of all companies that go Freemium, they dont just dont get it because they are so focused on getting every penny possible they forgot their product is at this point because of people didnt think it was worth PAYING FOR ALREADY. This is why actual F2P games make far more money than freemiums do, they focus on making cash shop items that fluff their bland games.

Having said all that. You should still download it and play it. Who knows, you may be one of the few people that think the game is actually worth paying for in its current state.

See, I can say all those negative things and still admit that you may not be like me, dont let others tell you if a game is worth it or not if its free and you can deciede for yourself...you are your own best judge for what is good.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• klerkenklerken Member UncommonPosts: 53

i would say its worth it to try it out, even if you want a sub i'd say its worth it for at least a month of casual play, the VO is still kinda nice, and while people dislike/hate the pvp, huttball is IMO kinda a unique experience worth trying.

as for it being on the way out, with the announed expansion comming spring '13 you have at least a few months worth of gametime to try it out, even if they cash out and close servers right after release

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Originally posted by Lamesaur

Just play with F2P restrictions and then decide.  You can only play one character at a time anyway so just find out if you even like the game when using the free races.

• VoreDockVoreDock Member UncommonPosts: 128
    Originally posted by jtcgs

All freemium games are on their way out. it could be 6 months, could be a year, could be 3 years. but they are all on their way out.

A company does not change their business model unless they must do so and no freemium has ever succeeded in keeping a large amount of the so called people the new business model is targetting. lower incoming money = less money the company has to reinvest in the game which means a lower amount of support which means less content than should be which drives even more people away and the cycle repeats itself.

Biowares freemium offer is less than average, youll find yourself having to pay for some crazy things that other freemiums dont make you pay for, this will keep their new revenue low and will frustrate far more people into not wanting to subscribe at all because most of the decent parts of the game is locked. This is not Biowares fault, nor EAs fault, they are following in the lines of all companies that go Freemium, they dont just dont get it because they are so focused on getting every penny possible they forgot their product is at this point because of people didnt think it was worth PAYING FOR ALREADY. This is why actual F2P games make far more money than freemiums do, they focus on making cash shop items that fluff their bland games.

Having said all that. You should still download it and play it. Who knows, you may be one of the few people that think the game is actually worth paying for in its current state.

See, I can say all those negative things and still admit that you may not be like me, dont let others tell you if a game is worth it or not if its free and you can deciede for yourself...you are your own best judge for what is good.

This is so untrue  SWTOR is not on its way out  it went free to play to give sub players more people to group with  so did Aion  both of thoes games are  well in the black money wise  and makeing  more everyday  can you say planetside 2  or Lotro  is on the way out  no way in hell even wow is thinking  of adding freemium and you can allready play  to lv 20 forever unlimited time in wow  dont hate because you dont like freemium 

• JeardawgJeardawg Member UncommonPosts: 31
    YES,  it is worth it.  But with a caveat.   This game will be fun for a limited length of time.  You are not going to get years of loyal playtime out of it,  it will be loads of fun for 3-4 months maybe,  and a decent game for 6 months or so (all of this depending on how you play and how well you explore all the content) .  By the time you have been in the game for a year you will not feel like there is any further reason to log into it,  ever.
  • asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by FromHell

I suggest you simply download the game client and give it a try as F2P player first.

You can upgrade to a subcription later or simply stay on F2P if you like it.

If Bioware would have released a decent F2P option, then I would agree with this.

The game is barely playable as a free player, which hardly encourages anyone to actualy pay for a sub.  I mean, it's technically playable 1-50, but you don't get crew skills.  Leveling is messed up because you don't get enough XP.  You have to run dungeons, PVP,  and space missions to make up for the XP loss, but they even restrict you on those so you still can't avoid simply grinding mobs.

You make me like charity

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

If you have not played it before it is worth it, for a short while. Get sub to begin with, play it loads, and then drop to preferred status.

Even if it does end next year, that is plenty of time to get the most out of it.

If you are looking for a MMO to sink your teeth into for about 8 years, then it may not be worth it. After 2 or 3 chars it starts to get repetetive.

Now is the best time, while the populations are on the rise due to F2P. This will be the highest the game will get, in a few months it will most likely be lacking in players again

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    If your going to pay for it then you will get more worth out of the game. The horrid restrictions they threw on it for F2P people us just a massive turn off for the game. The game doesnt do anything that speical its just a Voiced Starwars WoW. IF you want something that has a different feel for a MMORPG look at TSW instead.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

I want to start playing the game and am considering subscribing but am worried that the game will not be worth it. Mainly because of the fall in subs over the last while... So I want you opinion on whether this game is worth starting, or if it's on it's way out.

There isn't and shouldn't be anything anyone would say to you if it's worth it for the simply reason we do not know you personaly, there for have no idea what it is you look for in games and even if you would tell us what you like in a game still doesn't make much sense for anyone to make suggestion....unless they truly know you personaly.

So as others have suggested the only thing to know if it's worth it FOR YOU is to actually try the game. Because you and only you can decide for yourself if the game is worth it.

• BigAndShinyBigAndShiny Member Posts: 176
    They just announced an expansion today, so I don't think it's dead just yet. 
  • superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by BigAndShiny
    They just announced an expansion today, so I don't think it's dead just yet. 

What is said in the expansion was due before the end of 2012, and announced in June. It is nothing new. They are just stretching the content out

http://www.gamerzines.com/mmo/trial-system-teased-republic.html

• crack_foxcrack_fox Member UncommonPosts: 399

I wouldn't stress too much over the races. They're all humanoid and personally, I think the free ones (human/cyborg/zabrak) are the best of the bunch. I also wouldn't be too concerned about longevity. Rumours of SWTOR's demise are premature. I think it will be around for a good while yet. Whether you will want to continue playing for more than a few months is another matter entirely. 

The best advice I can give you is to try it out F2P and see how you get on. I think the game is certainly worth it and I'm happy to pay a sub for now, but whether you'll enjoy it or not depends on what you are looking for. The game has its flaws and these certainly do not need to be repeated again; the trick is to be aware of them without letting others' opinions and experiences dictate your own. It's better to enjoy it for what it is than to hate it for what it isn't. 

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by VoreDock

*snip*

This is so untrue  SWTOR is not on its way out  it went free to play to give sub players more people to group with  so did Aion  both of thoes games are  well in the black money wise  and makeing  more everyday  can you say planetside 2  or Lotro  is on the way out  no way in hell even wow is thinking  of adding freemium and you can allready play  to lv 20 forever unlimited time in wow  dont hate because you dont like freemium 

This is new. Since when is SWTOR in the black? You think SWTOR is nickle and diming everyone because they're in the black?

imageimage
    Originally posted by JoeyMMO

*snip*

This is new. Since when is SWTOR in the black? You think SWTOR is nickle and diming everyone because they're in the black?

Some feel the need to defend no matter what. In doing so, like many, they missed the issue and will do nothing to make sure it is changed. SWTOR should have gone F2P and focused their cash shop on actual F2P items that sell to the masses, instead of a select few.

That is why Nexon makes almost as much as EA and is the second largest company profit wise in the gaming industry, mostly from F2P games. Something he will never admit, because that would mean going against something the company is doing.

There is no freemium game on the market that has retained more than 10% of the "new target" audience after 6 months of targeting that audience. Not one. They ALL however did have a massive influx of new players during that time. The biggest success is LoTRo, but that is a hybrid that allows you to buy everything by rewarding players points just for playing that can be used to buy what is locked...yet, not even that game retained a decent portion of new players and it is no more populated now than it was during its highest popularity point with subs.

The one thing nobody defending freemium can successfully argue against is this simple fact. Nexon makes the majority of its 1.2 BILLION DOLLARS a year profit off of FREE 2 PLAY games which alone brings in more money than all freemium games combined.

You can total up ALL of SOEs income even from sub games with the income of Funcom and Turbine and it wont match Nexon's PROFITS...from FREE games. SWTOR, should have gone F2P with a great cash shop and it would have skyrocketed to the top of the F2P market because its QUALITY is much higher than that of what is on the F2P market right now. That would have greatly increased the games revenue because the F2P market MAKES MORE MONEY. So, by blindly defending freemium, diehards are once again hurting the game more than helping.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    Originally posted by JoeyMMO

*snip*

They are in the black BECAUSE of the "nickel and diming". The system is working, and just because you dont like it doesnt mean its bad.

• ThenextbigthingThenextbigthing Member Posts: 104
    Just sub for a month. You'll only play it for a month anyway before you get bored and leave, like the rest of us did in February
    Originally posted by birdycephon

They are in the black BECAUSE of the "nickel and diming". The system is working, and just because you dont like it doesnt mean its bad.

You say they are in the black but you have nothing to base it on. Freemium for a month, no report from EA to stock holders on new revenue, so its all based on what you WANT to be true.

You can go to the offical forums of each and every single game that has gone freemium, go back to the posts right after it did so and read all the "fans" talk about how it saved the game, they must be making a ton of money...and then read the posts today about how the game is dead, freemium failed, it drove new players away with its restrictions, they should have gone full F2P and everyone is wondering how much longer the game is going to last.

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697

It's well worth subbing for 2-3 months. Roll Jedi Knight, finish the story, and then roll Imperial Agent. In couple of months you can complete these two storylines and PVP enough for warzones to get too repetitive. Then you can safely uninstall and be happy that you've played the best part of the game.

You're welcome.image

• WahrHeitWahrHeit Member UncommonPosts: 57

uhmmm I enjoyed doing pvp a little...but the story and stuff was amazing.

i dont know how to explain it...

The game its awesome...But it sucks as MMO from simple things like the engine.

• SBE1SBE1 Member UncommonPosts: 340
    It's a decent single-player game that occasionally has some multi-player aspects.   Just do the free game, play a few stories, and be done.
  • birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314

You say they are in the black but you have nothing to base it on. Freemium for a month, no report from EA to stock holders on new revenue, so its all based on what you WANT to be true.

You can go to the offical forums of each and every single game that has gone freemium, go back to the posts right after it did so and read all the "fans" talk about how it saved the game, they must be making a ton of money...and then read the posts today about how the game is dead, freemium failed, it drove new players away with its restrictions, they should have gone full F2P and everyone is wondering how much longer the game is going to last.

You mean it drove the leechers away. Legitemate players who would have spent money on the game would not have been put off by the restrictive nature of the F2P.

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

You mean it drove the leechers away. Legitemate players who would have spent money on the game would not have been put off by the restrictive nature of the F2P.

You didn't respond to the part about your 'in the black' comment being based on nothing. Care to?

I have enjoyed coming back to SWTOR and may (after 3 weeks getting bored again) continue to sub at least 1 more month. The F2P restrictions are WAY too slim for me. And then again maybe not.

The new 'expansion' is a disappointment overall. If they released more info, maybe I would be a bit more excited. I couldn't care one whit about $10 so it isn't the money. It is more the fact that it will be coming 'in Spring 2013' and no actual notification of what the 'expansion' includes. 5 more levels on the cap and a new planet to earn them on! Will have to be a planet the size of DK or Coruscant and even those are 1-2 days of 'normal' play (call it a full weekend's worth of content).

I think that while I have not minded subbing and have enjoyed my 'return', I (at this point) see the expansion (and I am not sure it is not more than re-purposed updates that were originally supposed to be 'free content') as a money grab.

Disappointing. It took me almost 10 months to come back to SWTOR the 1st time. Once I un-sub, I doubt I'll return again. I think a lot of subs will feel the same, but who knows.

• SanHorSanHor Member UncommonPosts: 336

I'd say your best option is to play free first  20 levels then decide. My guess is you won't like it if you are searching for a new MMO to settle in as this game plays more like a single/coop with multiplayer than an MMO.Planets are maps with bunch of quests which will turn grey as you outlevel them and force you to move on and never look back. Generaly everyone will agree that story by far the best part of TOR so once you reach 50 your best option is rerolling a different class and play from level 1 again. Like you would in a single player game but without paying 15/month.

If you are sw fan looking for a star wars fix youll probably end up playing longer.