Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best MMORPG you've ever played

Comments

• JerYnkFanJerYnkFan Member UncommonPosts: 342
    SWG Pre-NGE....the freedom you had in that game and the community interdependency has yet to be matched.
  • EronakisEronakis Member UncommonPosts: 2,248
    Everquest, if you didn't play it you wouldn't understand.
  • DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Best as in 'Quality' overall? Guild Wars 2.  Not a single bug encountered thus far, amazingly.

Best as in the one I had the most fun with? Star Wars Galaxies... but obviously, that was not a bug free game hehe

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Hands down the best I've ever played was UO. The game is well over a decade old and still going with a monthly fee I might add lol. It's that one game I come back to from time to time. I just recently went back for another 3 month stint. 

Player Housing - Customizable player housing, with millions of items to decorate it with from the practical to the purely cosmetic. It's real time housing as well, not some instanced crap no one can see but those you invite. 

Be what you want - The only game that lets you be exactly what you want. The skill system has yet to have an equal. Pick the skills you want to, play how you want. Want to be a mage with a crossbow that happens to have a pet dragon? Go for it. Want to be a Gargoyle warrior miner? Go for it. 

PvP and PvE - It's not an action based combat system, it doesn't have the best or even decent graphics, yet it offers some of the best PvE and PvP out there. Full Loot FFA PvP if you go to feluca and Solo, Group, Small Group, Guild PvE content in abundance everywhere. Players have even made there own events in both PvE and PvP. 

Simply put no game has been able to offer what UO does. They don't offer the freedom, the ammount of content, nor the ammount of customization. 

This is why I always go back lol... games dated as hell in graphics and such, but the mechanics and such are well beyond any current game. 

• LethalElementLethalElement Member Posts: 9

Best MMo I played was Star Wars Galaxies. The player driven economy with player citys and housing thrown in with open world planets with pvp and pve. And the elusive Jedi grind ( man do I miss that ).

However, the MMo I played the longest was World of Warcraft. It is the best MMo out there right now. People can hate all they want, but I have played nearly every big titled MMo on the roster and non of them compare even in the slightest.

Here is my list from 1st mmo to last. Ive played up to 3 MMo's at one time.

SWG ( quit at nge, but went back a few months before they shut the lights out )

City Of Heroes ( got to level 32 and quit )

World of Warcraft  ( Played off and on for 8 years or so, longest I left for was a year )

Dungeons and Dragons Online ( got to level 8 and quit )

Lord of The Rings Online ( got to level 20ish and quit )

Everquest 2 ( level 18 or so and quit )

Aion ( have 3 level 55 characters, played for about 2 years, havnt logged on in about a year )

Star Wars The Old Republic ( have 2 level 50 characters, havnt played in months )

The Secret World ( end game on one character, havnt played in months )

Guild Wars 2 ( level 64 Ranger , havnt played in a few months )

At the moment I am two boxing on WoW with Recruit a Friend perks and having a blast.

Might try Wildstar and Skyrim when they release, but I am staying with WoW for now. its the only game worth paying for.

• NaeviusNaevius Member UncommonPosts: 334

Best overall feature set: GW2

Best lore and world: AoC

Most PvP fun: STO in early days.

Most interesting mechanically: EVE, GW1

Best for teamwork: Pirates of the Burning Sea

• VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963
    Asherons Call and Vanguard
  • ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

EQ1:

Class - Race difficulties.

True Alinment system.

XP Loss and deleveling.

No quest logs

No AH

100X more content than you see today.

Day/Night cycles that are different gameplay.

Open ended dungeons.

Slow leveling.

True character development.

Almost a true PnP adaptation MMORPG. Todays games lost the reason for MMORPGs to exist.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Classic era Everquest
  • JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

WoW for being the first and the longest engaged (6 yrs).
    TSW for being so refreshing that I bought a lifetime sub.

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347

Those you played daoc from day one know the game was an unbelievable step forward that has never been seen agian.

I cannot tell you how i wish this game was still alife (much in the way of nge daoc's current state is a game i do not know).

So yeah DAOC easy, doesn't even have rivials for me.

I will say that wow BC was amazing for raids

I will say SWG pre-nge was amazing for freedom (still feel JTLS was one of the best x-packs ever)

eq1 bwas good uo was good, i preffered the muds at this time however, they were deeper (this is not an attack understand muds were amazing).

Eve rep also. (actually still playing)

ps. Someone mentioned atmosphere , oddly enough daoc had a amazing feeling to it. to was like i was in the hihglands, or a deep forest or in a lad of magic. just odd, i rarely get that feeling today.... maybe it too forced.... maybe it had to do with just walkign up to a very small tower and the music changing to some thematic track.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• MithoronetteMithoronette Member UncommonPosts: 107

The first is always the best, so for me, AC1.  That was my first adventure into MMO's and the open world environment, massive numbers of people, and actually TALKING to people around the world was amazing.  I have yet to find a loot system and leveling system similar other than somewhat from AC2.

Second on the list was definitely AC2.  It fine tuned some things, made mistakes at others, but now that I've played it all weekend after the re-birth of the game, I am finding there is much to be desired in a 10-year old game that modern MMO's have yet to deliver.  As empty as the world is, it feels more alive than anything WoW or other MMO's have acieved for me...if they can improve the graphics and some of the gameplay, it coudl be awesome.

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788

Anarchy Online

8 years full of fun and glory.

Face of Mankind

A political course in things of factional enforcements.

Yeah, PvP ^^

SWTOR

I actually play this, waiting for the AO engine.

SWTOR has a entertaining PvP full of tools and whistles, but would Age of Conan be sci-fi themed, i'd play that.

I like that kind of combat system for PvP.

There is ofcause hundred other games i played for some months, but these games above gave me the most immersion, fun and challenge.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

Asherons Call.

I could play the way I WANTED to play. I on PURPOSE made a chacater that could swing a sword, use War Magic(magic that did damage), had NO melee defense(so took full damage) and could cook. A character that was a total gimp, not really good at anything but really great at parties. It was an open class system that allowed you to train what you wanted with limited points to place of course.

Better yet, it wasnt a traditional combat game. You could, with decent skills trained literally take on 20+ mobs at the SAME TIME and live, with enough health to go right to the next batch of mobs. Actual high ACTION combat. then on TOP of that, there were attack types. With melee you could swing high, middle, low. There was Stab, slash, blunt, acid, lightning, fire, cold based attacks and every mob had a weakness to one or more making swapping attack types a vast expansion on combat options.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871
    Anarchy Online ,before wallmart pay to win cashshop and wowization.

Let's internet

• truksamatruksama Member UncommonPosts: 18
    I would have to say Ultime Online. I really enjoyed logging in to a wrold where you could just about be a do whatever you wanted (given the constraints of course). I had a blast meeting new people and roaming the land of Britannia looking for dungeons, treasure, or even trouble (Crossroads anyone?).
  • monarc333monarc333 Member UncommonPosts: 622

It would have to be WoW. 6 years of playing one mmo consitutes the best for me. But the WoW days are long gone.

Honorable mention would be GW2 and Rift.

• AdamaiAdamai Member UncommonPosts: 476
    Swg hands down. Ive played all the games everyone listed above and only one of them gave a full persistant online mmo experience. You can play swg by signing up with swg emu. Do a google search, you will need an orriginal software client of swg to play the emulator. Its just amazing.
  • VandragoVandrago Member UncommonPosts: 230
    swg pre-nge

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    SWG pre-cu (before the jack wagons in charge wrecked it)

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• mbolmembolme Member Posts: 48

1. EverQuest II

2. Dark Age of Camelot (pre-ToA)

3. Vanguard/GW2 (tie)

• ttomm46ttomm46 Member UncommonPosts: 446

1) Underlight

2)Meridian 59

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793

Overall gameplay and systems, PvP/PvE balance, crafting, housing, cities - All signs point to SWG.

Stability, polish - WoW, as much as it pains me to admit. image

Server architecture, unique gameplay - EvE

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

my 1st MMO was runescape, but now it not worth to be played anymore, IMO.

after I started to hate grind and picked up GW (all 4 games), most I liked I guess was Factions as it is very dynamic game, shame ANet never updated or upgraded GW. PvP used to be tons of fun too.
    GW2 is far to be that fun to me, seems something missing but I can't really tell what, may be need to play more.

WoW gave me tons of fun! I really love this game, only dark side here is monthly payment,
    most because I can't even visit my account if I have just little time and will not pay for nothing. Still think it was the best game I've ever played.

LORTO I liked but got to the point when needed to pay to unlock further features and payed WoW instate. =D

Forsaken World gave me lot of free fun as it WoW-like game, well it not that large and polished, but it free. =D

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

• WahrHeitWahrHeit Member UncommonPosts: 57

Well...back in the days i used to play a lot in pirated servers...

It was mostly MU,L2,WoW,RO...And all of them had tons of players in my country and it was awesome and big community with IRL meetings and stuff.

RO was over L2 and MU....But i really loved WoW from day 1...thats when i started to leave pirated servers and become legit :p.

Sadly My WoW love ended with TBC...i dont like WOTLK CATA or Pandaria.

Other games i loved were Shattered galaxy...a kinda MMORTS 2D and Face of Mankind beta...The game is heavy in roleplaying and i beta there WAS TONS of players...always raids and the game was a blast....i would pay a kickstarter for FoM 2 well made.

Also Freelancer was fucking amazing....best space game.

And i think those were my fav games....In Wow and Shattered galaxy i wasted years on those lol...

And now im really enjoying Planetside 2...but im missing the roleplaying from FoM....I think i really love MMOFPS cant wait for Defiance in 2013.

This discussion has been closed.