Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wizardry Online: First Impressions with Ripper X

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Ripper X takes a look at Wizardry Online, the new MMORPG featuring Permadeath PVP! Wizardry Online is a re-imagining of the classic RPG originally developed by Sir-Tech. Gamepot, Inc. and Sony Online Entertainment are bringing a whole new MMO component to the series in Wizardry Online, which will offer players hardcore gameplay and dungeon crawling amidst brutal traps and fiendish monsters.Check it out!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• IngvarIngvar Member UncommonPosts: 193
    looks like an ffxi and eq1 mix.
  • MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

"new MMORPG featuring Permadeath PVP" yet on the official website Reason #2 to play is "avoid permadeath".

Someone help me out.

• paulythebpaulytheb Member UncommonPosts: 363

For a new game this game looks extremely dated to me. Reminds me of DDO with much less character options.

I tried the beta, but I was not impressed by the first couple of hours of gameplay.

( Note to self-Don't say anything bad about Drizzt.)

An acerbic sense of humor is NOT allowed here.

• paulythebpaulytheb Member UncommonPosts: 363
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71

"new MMORPG featuring Permadeath PVP" yet on the official website Reason #2 to play is "avoid permadeath".

Someone help me out.

That is evidently the challenge of the game - to avoid dying permanently.

( Note to self-Don't say anything bad about Drizzt.)

An acerbic sense of humor is NOT allowed here.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by paulytheb

Someone help me out.

The best bet to avoid permadeath is to use the cash shop often.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by Karteli

Someone help me out.

Or avoid permdeath games.

:)

• rommellorommello Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 185

its not very perma death at all. You can die dozens nay hundreds of times and still come back like it was nothing. Wen u die u get 2 chances to revive, the chance of which you can keep high by leaving most of your gold and valuables items in storage or offering potions to the ressurection window to up the chances even more. i have always had 94-95+ chance to revive and never failed once in my 2 tries.(maybe once not sure)

even so the very idea of perma death is wasted on a game this bad & does not really add to it at all

hallo ~_~

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    Ripper x is my best friend
  • TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235
    ugh, well although i know many people would love a permadeath MMO, but this will be the ultimate pay to not dieing 

So What Now?

• TorvacTorvac Member UncommonPosts: 135
    Originally posted by Ingvar

exactly my thought. ffxi ripoff with a branded name. does SOE think people are that stupid ? and the  "wizardry" series will be tainted forever.

• CypeqCypeq Member Posts: 66
    Originally posted by Karteli

Someone help me out.

Or avoid permdeath games.

:)

Just avoid this game. Hardcore in diablo 2 was big with many great people... unique crowd from your common playerbase.

• WassisfaceWassisface Member Posts: 18
    Originally posted by Torvac
    Originally posted by Ingvar

exactly my thought. ffxi ripoff with a branded name. does SOE think people are that stupid ? and the  "wizardry" series will be tainted forever.

Well, the Wizardry series has been popular in japan for quite a long time. Despite the fact that they put anime art into the game, I found their entries (labyrinth of lost souls has some really cliche anime art but is very true to the spirit of the franchise) to be quite tasteful. While this does lack some of the elements of classic Wizardry (mainly combat speed and perspective), this is actually a decent attempt, and stays in line with a lot of Wizardry ideas. I feel like many people are commenting on this game without at least giving it a chance first.

I personally am enjoying my time with WO, so I might be biased, who knows. Whether or not the cash shop is going to be tastefully done is a different idea entirely.