Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

These 2 new MMO´s will rock your world!!! Forget GW2, DF, etc...

2»

Comments

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by Chingo

Black Desert: "...giant, hobbit, elf, dwarf, and humans..."

Oh well. Let's hope everything else is original. Looks good, though.

Has a bit of "Uncanny Valley" to me...

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Originally posted by RedJorge

Hello all,

In my opinion, these 2 new games (dont forget Lineage Eternal when more details will be available) will rock our world:

Black Desert - http://steparu.com/previews/mmo-rpg-previews/897-black-desert-online-interview

Archeage (best viewed in Chrome for auto-translation) - http://www.archeage.com/preview#trailer (after the trailer you can check all game features).

Archeage is starting this week the OBT in Korea.

Best regards,

Red

No thanks, I do not play Eastern or Asian MMO's as they all inevitably end up as trash with lots of bugs, hacks and poor gameplay.  I'll stick to GW2 for now and play Neverwinter and Elder Scrolls Online when they come out.  Now those are 2 great MMO's you can sink your teeth into.

You do know that majority of the games you posted have asian companies in the mix.

And the red part is funny considering almost all western mmo's have the same issue ;)

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by Ramonski7

I got as far as this:

All the characters are classified by different classes which are fighter, ranger, sorcerer, beast, and tamer. We are still working on other new classes. We are considering a gender lock system but we can't give you any specific details on it just yet. Also the name of the classes may change in the future.

especially the underlined part and I lost interest. Gender lock and classes spoken under the same breathe is worrisome. Now if it were race and gender lock, I'm cool with that. But I'm not fond of gender locked classes. It automatically brings to mind Vindictus. In other words, shortcuts to keep up frame rates and graphic quality.

But what if it were something like an amazonian class or a priestess class of an all female sect?

If it makes sense then it makes sense. If it's just a generic "let's make magic users female and fighters male" withtout any basis then I would agree.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • KniknaxKniknax Member UncommonPosts: 576
    Originally posted by eyelolled
    I wouldn't install Chrome on my computer unless I planned to format it shortly.  As for the games, I think we have distinct differences of opinions.

Why? I used it for years, and way better than anything I have used. Are they nicking my data or something?

"When people don't know much about something, they tend to fill in the blanks the way they want them to be filled in. They are almost always disappointed." - Will Wright

• MMO_REVIEWERMMO_REVIEWER Member Posts: 371

Honestly, Black Desert didn't impress me with that video; Especially the ending. The visuals were very buggy, there was texture popping and LOD errors all over the place. I understand that this is probably alpha footage, but lets be realistic; we've seen far better Alpha gameplay footage from other games without all of the shadow/texture/LOD popping. C'mon it's 2012. Look at GW2's announcement trailer. It was absolutely beautiful. They made sure to put their best foot forward and show us their best. Look at Tera's early gameplay footage and the same goes for Firefall and TSW.  For a game that's being revealed to us at the tail end of 2012 and probably slated for release late 2013-2014 it's nowhere near impressive. The combat looks nice and all, but the visuals are just sloppy. Granted they have some nice views and it is very pretty, but it is sloppily done which puts me off quite a bit. And for some reason, no matter how hard I look at it, it feels asian. I don't quite know what the qualifying factor is - but before I even saw the name pop up on the screen I knew it was an asian MMO. Not necessarily Asian themed, but an asian made game. They all have this look and feel to them that I'd grown tired of ages ago. On top of that the visuals already look dated. With games like GW2, FFXIV, Firefall, and even Eve Online to compare with, this game looks very stale.

Archage - we'll just have to wait and see on that. I've seen some things about it though I haven't followed it all that closely. Looks to be pretty good, but I won't put my chips in just yet. Kept my comments short on Archage as I don't know all that much about it as of yet.

MMO's are the ark of the gaming world. Let it take us in new directions.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Originally posted by botrytis

I got as far as this:

All the characters are classified by different classes which are fighter, ranger, sorcerer, beast, and tamer. We are still working on other new classes. We are considering a gender lock system but we can't give you any specific details on it just yet. Also the name of the classes may change in the future.

especially the underlined part and I lost interest. Gender lock and classes spoken under the same breathe is worrisome. Now if it were race and gender lock, I'm cool with that. But I'm not fond of gender locked classes. It automatically brings to mind Vindictus. In other words, shortcuts to keep up frame rates and graphic quality.

It is very common for Korean MMO's to be genderlocked. In TERA, I played a female warrior in beta testing but having to ride side saddle was just odd.  There is a different sense and sensibility in Korean games and they oftern don't translate well. Same goes for EU/American games going to Korea.

I was under the impression that only gender locked races existed in Tera. Did they change something after launch? I admit I bought and played for about a month before I quit and didn't look back. Also I'm aware of the commonplace for Korean devs to include gender locked classes for many of their early and f2p mmorpgs. I played Aika, Vindictus, Soul of the Nation, Forsaken Worlds and C9. I mean its ok, but I've never stuck long with a mmo that uses them.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

I got as far as this:

It is very common for Korean MMO's to be genderlocked. In TERA, I played a female warrior in beta testing but having to ride side saddle was just odd.  There is a different sense and sensibility in Korean games and they oftern don't translate well. Same goes for EU/American games going to Korea.

I was under the impression that only gender locked races existed in Tera. Did they change something after launch? I admit I bought and played for about a month before I quit and didn't look back. Also I'm aware of the commonplace for Korean devs to include gender locked classes for many of their eary and f2p mmorpgs. I played Aika, Vindictus, Soul of the Nation, Forsaken Worlds and C9. I mean its ok, but I've never stuck long with a mmo that uses them.

Yes, the Elin and Popori races were changed for the release in America as was slight tweaks to others.

Originally posted by Sovrath

I got as far as this:

But what if it were something like an amazonian class or a priestess class of an all female sect?

If it makes sense then it makes sense. If it's just a generic "let's make magic users female and fighters male" withtout any basis then I would agree.

I would be fine with that IF it were the main reason for such a restriction. But we both know that more likely than not the main reason is to cut corners, improve performance or save cost.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

I got as far as this:

I was under the impression that only gender locked races existed in Tera. Did they change something after launch? I admit I bought and played for about a month before I quit and didn't look back. Also I'm aware of the commonplace for Korean devs to include gender locked classes for many of their eary and f2p mmorpgs. I played Aika, Vindictus, Soul of the Nation, Forsaken Worlds and C9. I mean its ok, but I've never stuck long with a mmo that uses them.

Yes, the Elin and Popori races were changed for the release in America as was slight tweaks to others.

I see. I'm curious now. What classes were restricted to the two races above? I know Elgin were female only and popori were  male only. Sorry for derailing the topic OP, I just want to know if and why they changed this when both gender restricted races could play any class to begin with.

• GrumiumGrumium Member UncommonPosts: 57
    Unless they revamped Archeage its an old game. I played it around 5 or 6 years ago. It was an  Asian grinder that was boring. Nothing rocked about it.
  • leoo88556leoo88556 Member Posts: 135

Agreed!

I notice that the games you pick both featuring their own sandbox elements, in my opinion seamless sandbox world is going to be very popular in the mmo genre for the next ten years or so because they hold the key for some major problems mmos have been suffering from recently!

For starters, no matter how briliant your development team is you'll always bump into the same gigantic stupid wall we called... comsumption rate, and this bastard never back down, not even for GW2, WoW, TSW or Rift. For PvE, game developers use monthly or annual updates to try to keep up the pace, and eventually they all failed because there're simply too many new games out there trying to steal their fan base, and these new comers are not even necessarily mmos. Some other company try to use PvP content to deal with this problem, but even though this method works better than the first one it's still not enough. PvPing for loot, rank or fame can only last for so long, btw why care about a garrison/capture point if it doesn't matter who has it is beyond me. Gamers require something more, something that can give them the sense of progression and involvement without the constant need of additional content or pointless power race.

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    If Black Desert's combat plays as good as it looks, and they're able to adapt to modern gameplay mechanics, then count me in.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

You guys don't see the pattern here of being all pumped up for these games and then pitching a fit over the cash shop once it gets here?

In the past 9 years or so, have any of the ultimate sandbox or ultimate warfare game delivered?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

@OP

yeah boths games look pretty good but both are a good few years away sadly.. and we know very little about them..

• UNH0LYEV1LUNH0LYEV1L Member UncommonPosts: 571
    I have been waiting on Archage for a very very long time like so many others.
  • zomard100zomard100 Member Posts: 228
    First one look so awesome, not so much anime but archage is not so much for my taste. One thing that i hate in Asian mmo's are this girls running with head down and ass high up in the sky, it looks just so ridiculous
  • eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    I'm thinking I'll stick with GW2 and forget the OP instead.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• ZyzraZyzra Member Posts: 354

It's funny to read through threads like this sometimes and see people writing off a game entirely based on a very general term they heard the game referred to.  It's even better when multiple people do it about the same game, but their generalized reasons would actually not happen in the same MMO.

Basically, people are writing off MMOs nowadays based on terms that may not actually describe the game.

• coltonjeffersoncoltonjefferson Member Posts: 33
    First I've seen of Black Desert. Holy crap... O.o
  • dimnikardimnikar Member Posts: 271
    Here comes to hype train again. Ticket holders and mentally handicapped boarding at platform 1!
    Originally posted by coltonjefferson
    First I've seen of Black Desert. Holy crap... O.o

There are quite a few very interesting games in development now in the same vein as these.  Definitely a breath of fresh air, in terms of features and scope and player interaction.

Much more appealing than,say, "not having quests" because when you kill the quest mobs the bar fills up instead of a number counting up.

Originally posted by dimnikar
    Here comes to hype train again. Ticket holders and mentally handicapped boarding at platform 1!

For me personally it isn't so much hype, as it is interest.  I like to see interesting new ideas from game developers.  Even if the games never even release, it could inspire other developers to think outside the usual tropes.

Most of those on that particular train are still too weary from the ride to GW2ville, SWTOR city, and Darkfall town to be ready to think of jumping on this one.

Edit: but yeah maybe we should just not share any discussion or interest in upcoming games with each other.  Obviously discussing games and features that interest us must make us mentally handicapped, to borrow your term.  After all, if nobody hears of any upcoming games, there'd be nobody disappointed.  No sales either, but you know, details.