Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Rise of the Hutt Cartel Digital Expansion Incoming

Comments

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Nice! By the speed in which the wife and I play, we should hit 50 right around the time when this xpac releases. We can just ride the wave to 55 and gear up. Very cool.

Joined - July 2004

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    Originally posted by Karteli

So this "expansion" is coming out next summer?  Christmas 2013?  lol :-)

It says Spring 2013 in FAQ.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • davestr1zldavestr1zl Member Posts: 218
    Originally posted by Souldrainer
    The poll on this board had an overwhelming number of people saying the game would never have an expansion. Wouldd you like those words with Ketchup, or Mustard guys?

I enjoy the game, but calling this an 'expansion' is so incredibly generous its not even funny. If you had instead asked on that same poll "Do you think SWTOR will ever get more zones added" most would have said yes.

• Butch808Butch808 Member UncommonPosts: 369
    I thought it said "Rise of the cartal market" for a second lol, a whole expac on the rising prices of the cash shop. xD
  • JKwervoJKwervo Member Posts: 126

Who has the quote about whether or not Makeb was supposed to be free for SUBBED players? But wasn't sure if they were gonna outright charge for it?

I guess we have our answer. ROTFLMAO

• GormokGormok Member Posts: 379
    Funny how they bill what should be and update as an expac. No new races (Cather maybe) but that's booked as a CM item., no new class stories, one planet, no new ships or ship custormization. Rift and Aion did more with updates than what eaware is doing with this so-called expac, and to top it off. It has no box only digital download, how can this be an expac. Even Aion which is completely free has more in it's free expacs than this crap. Yeah I was one of those blind fanboys defending TOR during pre-release, but after  six months of  playing. I wised up, and knew the game was just going to keep getting crappier and crappier. With each new update only being new WZ, FPs, OPs, and dailies.
  • PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762
    It's weird. It's like EA wants SWTOR to fail. I would expect a true expansion to include the new wiz-bang space combat that Bio mentioned a long while back. Not more of the same and not much of it. I know it's a smaller team, now (*cough* sweatshop *cough*), but sheesh.

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898

This stinks of Turbines "Siege of Mirkwood".  The sad thing is that this SWTOR "expansion" is tiny and they are charging the same price Turbine charged for SoM ($20) which had tons more content.  Heck, even Riders of rohan has more content than this appears to.

F2P changed everything.  They had to convert a normal content update into an "expansion" by adding a level cap increase.

With that being said, it won't impact how I play the game.  I play casually and just level up alts to see the stories.  Makeb isn't really a draw for me personally.  I can easily wait a LONG time before buying it.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575
    They should add a free roam space component to the game, similar to JTL.  That should be their expansion. 
    The poll on this board had an overwhelming number of people saying the game would never have an expansion. Wouldd you like those words with Ketchup, or Mustard guys?

LOL at calling this an expansion.  Note: I never doubted they'd have an expansion.

If they didn't have to go F2P, their first real expansion would have included a dozen new flashpoints, several operations as well as 3+ planets and multiplayer space combat.

Originally posted by Karteli

Anyways, the new story is a single shared story for all classes .. meh ..

They have to do that at this point.  It's too expensive otherwise and doesn't impact their bottom line.  All of the class stories and dialogue had no bearing on whether people would subscribe.

• WalterWhiteWalterWhite Member UncommonPosts: 411
    They are just adding what they have been working on for the past god knows how many months/years to milk as much cash as they can before the game goes the way of the Dodo.
  • superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

All what is in the expansion was already known since June, but none of the fans mentioned this stuff to be as an expansion, but thoughts of more stuff instead, and now it is regarded as an expansion, it is all Woot Woot!

"Other new features and content was also teased for the online-only game including a new HK-51 android companion, a new planet called Makeb, new space missions, flashpoints and a level cap; raise all of which will be implemented before the end of 2012."

1 year later, and later than planned,  you finally get it and have to pay money for it too, when at first it was going to be free.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by Mesfenlir
    Originally posted by Elevenb4
    Originally posted by Czanrei

The devs need to fix the current game instead of trying to add more crap on top of the already bad code. otherwise they are repeating the same errors SOE made with SWG. 

So basically, I still wouldn't play this game even if my life depended on it. 

What is "broken" in the current game? Since you don't play I would love to know. Don't spout off some random BS you copy from other people. 99% of the stuff I see people complaining about being broken or having problems with are BS. I and my wife play the game on three different rigs. AMD processor and GPU in one desktop, an Intel/Nvidia gpu in the 2nd desktop, and the Intel/Nividia laptop. I'll add a forth for my best friend that bootcamps it on his Mac. Never seen 99% of the problems people have.

I think is referring to Ilum.

This engine cant take more than 20 people fighting together it seems.

I critizied swtor on my first month. Since then the game has improved (need to keep doing it)

The game is moving in the right direction I hope they fix all problems and people can really enjoy this game.

Too much hate in this forums. As a former WAR player I have plenty of reasons to hate ea but the way is treating swtor is light years from warhammer.

I think they realised that, for one reason or another, they cant, or wont, "fix" open world PvP so they just forgot about it.

As for the hate, I am not surprised. This is Star Wars, STAR WARS. The expectations of it was huge and, for many, it did not live up to those expectations. Same with WAR. You can whine about it all you want, but that is a fact.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Frodo
    It sounds more like biowares warhammer "expansion" - the vermintudilous horde.

In fact it sounds exactly like it, a few more levels you have to buy to stay on the same power curve.
  • jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

I will hold off judgement on this until there are more details. So far from what has been said I cannot call this an "actual" expansion. The word expansion if applied liberally can be given to any sized monthly update, I however and not so madly in love with the game that I will back every single thing said and done by the company. This so called expansion has a large amount of holes to plug so a small expansion wont do much to fix the games reputation.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

People on the forums are already complaining that they can't buy the expansion with CCs.  I'm not sure that's fair as I'm not aware of any statements by them that could lead people to believe they'd be available for CCs. 

Turbine on the other hand misled people and even had a huge Turbine Point sale before their first expansion went on sale for cash only.  They've changed things with RoR though and allowed people to pay TPs for them.

I'm sure this "expansion" will be available for CCs within 6 months of its release.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025
    Originally posted by Pyuk
    It's weird. It's like EA wants SWTOR to fail. I would expect a true expansion to include the new wiz-bang space combat that Bio mentioned a long while back. Not more of the same and not much of it. I know it's a smaller team, now (*cough* sweatshop *cough*), but sheesh.

It may very well be a major expansion ... it just isn't this one.

They have already stated that the space expansion would not be available for quite some time. I expect late next year earliest as it is based on entire new tech and likely engine or heavily tweaked existing engine.

Do not confuse what you want vs what the game needs. it is a story driven game where developer content drives the end game so there MUST be regular content added to the conventional game first. That is the priority or players will leave. Space will be a bloody cool addition but it is nothing more than that ... a seperate game on top of the regular game.

I've recently started playing again and I must say I am enjoying it and like the general direction Bioware is taking it. Sadly with all the company and F2P changes the previous timeline for content was altered and now they are sort of in a reset mode and things are picking up again. Tons of quality of life changes are needed and I hope they sneak those in before the expansion. I suspect too that the expansion will wrap many class reballancing changes in it and we may have to wait until then for that.

I also hope they allow the expansion to be purchased through the cartel market but right now they simply are offering preorder at a discount which is likely cheaper than market anyway unless you simply want to save your sub point toward it. Either way most will buy more points anyway for other things and offset it. Pretty sure this change will be made later on.

You stay sassy!

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

You want to help this game, come out with a space expansion like SWG did.  Junk the arcade crap and do a crafting upgrade.  This expansion nonsense will not improve the game much at all, it is just more of the same.  

How can a development studio be so entirely clueless????

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

I am interested to hear details about new features, not more of the same.

• VlackeVlacke Member UncommonPosts: 155
    Great news, looking forward to it!
  • to those hopping the secret space project will be inculded, i wouldnt get my hopes up since it sounds like it is a ways off.

from q&a on nov 29:

Q: How is the super space project doing? Does it exist? Schubert: Oh, it exists. Hickman: I was actually playing what you're talking about yesterday, running through the prototype demo. I wish I could give you details. It's great. It's a departure from our current space game. We have a team dedicated to working on it. But it is far out in the future. You won't hear anything about it any time soon. Schubert: It is under wraps. It is a lot of fun. It's definitely not anything we've shipped in the original product.

http://www.darthhater.com/articles/swtor-news/22517-bioware-livestream-q-a-coverage

so is it possible it will be in? yes, but i wouldnt count on it

but im looking forward to checking out the new planet. i especially hope they add some really hard to get to datacrons. i love finding those things. and cathar should make it into it if not sooner

as for mini games:

Q: When will we see mini-games? Schubert: Makeb has some entirely new gameplay mechanics. I wouldn't call them mini-games, but new ways to explore the world. Hickman: Playing cards and things like that are still on the Wall of Crazy for the future. No timeframe.

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

This stinks of Turbines "Siege of Mirkwood".  The sad thing is that this SWTOR "expansion" is tiny and they are charging the same price Turbine charged for SoM ($20) which had tons more content.  Heck, even Riders of rohan has more content than this appears to.

F2P changed everything.  They had to convert a normal content update into an "expansion" by adding a level cap increase.

With that being said, it won't impact how I play the game.  I play casually and just level up alts to see the stories.  Makeb isn't really a draw for me personally.  I can easily wait a LONG time before buying it.

First of all... you have no idea how much content Makeb will have. None of us knows right now. At level 50 - 5 levels is about size of 2 planets in existing SWTOR. Subscribers pay $9.99 not $20.

Last expansion RoR costs $39.99 or $49.99 or $69.99 - don't compare apples to oranges - no comparition.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

The Expansion should be called- Rise of the EA/Bioware Cartel

The Hutts cant hold a candle to those crooks

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• Entropy14Entropy14 Member UncommonPosts: 675
    I agree, this expansion looks week, just looks like a big monthly update, unless they get some really improvments to combat, the space game, crafting , this expansion wont mean s**t