Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR expansion confirmed

http://www.swtor.com/buy?intcmp=sor_bwa-mkt-t-us-hp-012

It is on the official SWTOR site so it should be legitamate.

Looks pretty good so I'm happy with that. Gives me time to level my BH to 50 as well.

Gdemami -
Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

Comments

• dreamsofwardreamsofwar Member Posts: 468
    Is only adding 5 levels per expansion the cool thing to do now?
  • SendenSenden Member UncommonPosts: 602
    Was this "expansion" always supposed to be something everyone paid for? I was always under the impresison that it was just a big much needed content update for the game.  I'd ask on the official forums but that would just end up baiting the self righteous "how dare you act entitled" drones that seem to plague those forums.
  • MadatanMadatan Member UncommonPosts: 182
    This is good news since the story is the only thing I loved  about this game. I've never reached max level as fast in any MMO as I did in SWTOR.
  • TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006
    seems less like an expansion and more like a DLC pack..but hey if they happen to be planning JTL type space gameplay with this "expansion" then I'm in!
  • drtack1drtack1 Member UncommonPosts: 273
    I played at early access and had fun while I played. I recently wanted to jump back in and play. I wanted to get my character to lvl 80 (he is 78 now.) I donwloaded the client, installed and then tried to run the game but nothing happens when I double clikc to run or right click and run as admin. My mouse turns into the thinking circle and then stops and the launcher does not launch......I was kinda disappointed. I contacted customer support and they told me to update graphics drivers.........lol that didnt work.......still same issue and cannot start the launcher. Sucks......... customer service still doesnt knwo what the issue is lol.
  • MadatanMadatan Member UncommonPosts: 182
    Originally posted by drtack1
    I played at early access and had fun while I played. I recently wanted to jump back in and play. I wanted to get my character to lvl 80 (he is 78 now.) I donwloaded the client, installed and then tried to run the game but nothing happens when I double clikc to run or right click and run as admin. My mouse turns into the thinking circle and then stops and the launcher does not launch......I was kinda disappointed. I contacted customer support and they told me to update graphics drivers.........lol that didnt work.......still same issue and cannot start the launcher. Sucks......... customer service still doesnt knwo what the issue is lol.

Are you sure it was SWTOR? It's only to lvl 50 so far ;)

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Super excited for this! Hopefully it does well so we can look forward to more content along these lines.

I wonder if Cathar will make it out in time for the expansion...

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937

Intresting, looks like you can't use cartel coins to buy the DLC like in other Freemium titles.

Also of note, it appears there is no class stories.hIt's my contention this was originally designed to be normal, (no extra charge) content, and was repurposed in the spring. (WHen the marketing survey went out.)

Considering that in the spring, they were considering only raising the level by two levels, I'm not sure how much content there actually is on Makeb.

Going by the title of the Expansion, "Rise of the Hutt Cartel", I guess they are using content that was originally slated for Patch 1.4 That includes a daily and a Operation "Scum and Villiany".

They also have content form previously slated 1.5 to draw upon, Ratka Prime, which has a daily, a flashpoint, and an Operation.

Perhaps they cobbled together original 1.4, original 1.5, and Makeb?

• Buffy_bitesBuffy_bites Member Posts: 7

First Digital Expansion - Coming in Spring 2013!

• Continue your Star Wars™ saga with a new level cap of 55.
    • Experience new epic story content with fully-voiced cinematic conversations.
    • New Planet: Makeb - Explore a vibrant alien landscape.

It would have been nicer if it had more than that. The expansion just contains stuff that has been mentioned since way before F2P was even announced. They were deliberating whether to make Makeb free or chargeable, guess it is now chargeable. They should stick some more goodiee in with that, like another speeder, more armour, robes, etc. As it is it does not seem meaty enough for an expansion, but as Yoda says "size matters not!"

If going to get it may as well sub I suppose, will get 30 days time for only $5

Originally posted by MikeB

Super excited for this! Hopefully it does well so we can look forward to more content along these lines.

I don;t htink the Cathar have anything along th lines of a back story, and certainly not a starter zone.

In all likelihood, they will be a purchasble legacy unlock in the cartel shop.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Originally posted by tiefighter25

I don;t htink the Cathar have anything along th lines of a back story, and certainly not a starter zone.

They are going to be a purchasable unlock in the store, but that doesn't mean they have no chance of being released alongside the expansion content. As for having a starter zone, species don't have starter zones in SWTOR (classes do), so this is irrelevant. Backstory has been established in the Expanded Universe for some time now (Juhani, KOTOR; Aric Jorgan, SWTOR, etc.).

• KemerosKemeros Member Posts: 19
    More hutt stories? Nar Shadaa wasn't enough? I see the inspiration is gone....

They are going to be a purchasable unlock in the store, but that doesn't mean they have no chance of being released alongside the expansion content. As for having a starter zone, species don't have starter zones in SWTOR (classes do), so this is irrelevant. Backstory has been established in the Expanded Universe for some time now (Juhani, KOTOR; Aric Jorgan, SWTOR, etc.).

True.

They don't mention the Cathar in any of their FAQ info: http://www.swtor.com/support/helpcenter/7137 and http://www.swtor.com/rothc.

In theory, they could very well be released before the expansion.

They have also confirmed that the expansion cannot tbe paid with cartel coins. So if a subber thought he could save up their complimentary coins to purchase the expansion, no such luck.

Out of curiosity, what do you think of switching a content update (as presented in June) to now a paid expansion to be released in the spring of 2013?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4g9qpfTLyM&feature=player_detailpage#t=386s

*edited a typo and the implication Makeb was ready to be released as is in June.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

It is not what I would call an expansion, but now they have released it as an expansion, SWTOR now gets an expansion, so makes previous discussions of there never being an expansion void, although persoanlly if they do another expansion with totally new stuff, then I will call that the first expansion. Although they do say more info is coming.

When I went to link in OP I did not see anything as it was so small, but better links to it here:

http://www.swtor.com/rothc?intcmp=sor_bwa-mkt-t-us-rhp-004

http://www.swtor.com/support/helpcenter/7137

I am not preordering, will wait to see what it is all about first. Having 5 days early access is not exactly great incentive to bother

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868

Hardly an expansion. 10$ for a new planet and 5 levels with VO for story that is for an entire faction. Yeah, the story is not for class story, hate to burst your bubble but this was announced when they initially announced Makeb like what, 8 months ago? 

No new nothing else. A new planet in SWTOR = one new zone. Sure, they have big zones, but its still not quite as great as anyone could imagine unfortunately. Unless the zone is as big as Belsavis, I would not get your hopes up. There is another glaring issue people are missing here. What does this do to current end game content? It will make it a joke? Orrr...will they force you to level in order to see it again by scaling it? There is no strong win here either way. ALOT of people will be pissed if they are forced to level again in order to see content they have already experienced. ALOT of people will be pissed if this makes the game all of a sudden have 0 end game instanced content because none of it is relevant anymore. 

• JKwervoJKwervo Member Posts: 126

True.

They don't mention the Cathar in any of their FAQ info: http://www.swtor.com/support/helpcenter/7137 and http://www.swtor.com/rothc.

In theory, they could very well be released before the expansion.

They have also confirmed that the expansion cannot tbe paid with cartel coins. So if a subber thought he could save up their complimentary coins to purchase the expansion, no such luck.

Out of curiosity, what do you think of switching a content update (as presented in June) to now a paid expansion to be released in the spring of 2013?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4g9qpfTLyM&feature=player_detailpage#t=386s

*edited a typo and the implication Makeb was ready to be released as is in June.

I just find it funny that some people are starting to forget about the disappointment they expressed when they had heard Makeb was going to be a charged expansion, instead of an update they were told in the beginning.

On top of that, for subbed players, it's also charged and not being able to use the cartel coins to purchase it, to me, is a slap in the face.

EDIT:

Also, this renders all their current Raids Obsolete. Amazing. LOL

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

That sucks. although was able to with LOTRO latest expansion, but SOE no longer does this either now. Last years expansion could be bought with SC, but this years could not.

They probably have not gotten enough money back for SWTOR yet, so need all the extra money they can get, without giving it away for "free"

• BigAndShinyBigAndShiny Member Posts: 176
    I like TOR
  • birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    Originally posted by BigAndShiny
    I like TOR

+1

Cant wait for the exansion.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

Won´t buy until I see some compelling gameplay footage from "Makeb".

All previous planets were linear, static and copy paste feeling enough.

If they do they same old static planet concept again with Makeb, I´ll pass.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Seems more like an update than an expansion.

• crack_foxcrack_fox Member UncommonPosts: 399
    Originally posted by EA
    • Continue your Star Wars™ saga with a new level cap of 55.

Good enough.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by crack_fox
    Originally posted by EA
    • Continue your Star Wars™ saga with a new level cap of 55.

Good enough.

I know right..  let  the haters hate...Ill be on makeb

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689
    Originally posted by jpnz

Looks pretty good so I'm happy with that. Gives me time to level my BH to 50 as well.

This isn't an expansion.  It is a game update they are charging for.  Bioware is broke.

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042
    Originally posted by bingbongbros
    Originally posted by jpnz

This isn't an expansion.  It is a game update they are charging for.  Bioware is broke.

Bioware aren't broke, they're a subsidiary of one of the largest most profitable corporations on the planet. You're probably right about the first part though, it sounds more like the DLC games like DCUO etc do than expansion. EA Marketing cogs in full spin.

Would be nice for them to surprise everyone and deliver fully fledged space that they've supposedly been working on since before launch though.