Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn: FFXIV Servers Shutting Down December 31st

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

A short and sweet announcement has arrived on the Final Fantasy XIV site that indicates that existing servers will be shutting down for good on December 31st to pave the way for the Realm to be reborn in the new iteration of the game.

Square Enix is encouraging all past and current players to take advantage of the game as it is in the remaining days.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• dreamsofwardreamsofwar Member Posts: 468
    lol is there ever a point in playing an MMO when its been given its death day?
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Well it's only a 'death day' in terms of the old version. A Realm Reborn arrives hot on its heels. :P

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• revy66revy66 Member Posts: 464
    Originally posted by dreamsofwar

Umm..yes? To have fun. This is what playing games is about.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003

well, you don't really lose your characters so one can still play an retain something.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • dreamsofwardreamsofwar Member Posts: 468
    Originally posted by Sovrath

well, you don't really lose your characters so one can still play an retain something.

Oh right, I thought they would have done a server wipe and literally started fresh.

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

It's ironic, for two years XIV would crash so often on me I could never complete a leve, just before the final event it stabilised and I am now able to lvl when it won’t save any of it.

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

I realise it’s only in alpha state but has there been any indication which quarter they are aiming to hit for the re-launch?

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Personally, I hope they take as much time as they need.  If they have to hold off another year then do so...

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146
    Originally posted by apocoluster
    Personally, I hope they take as much time as they need.  If they have to hold off another year then do so...

I 100% agree, they may have fixed all the issues XIV had but there is still combat and questing problems, and tons of the extra stuff such as the choco combat/raising, housing, pvp, dynamic events, extra classes, and much more that they should really try to get in at launch, for the best first impression. 

• ezpz77ezpz77 Member Posts: 227
    I hope ARR is released a month or so before my kid is born so I can play. Is that bad?
  • daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Hmm.. correct me if I'm wrong: they plan to shut down current game and NEW one is not yet ready?? Not sure if good idea. I'm not playing it. Started to play on day 1, love lore, disappointment was incredible. Will for sure buy new version, but I'm wondering why they are shutting down before new is completely ready?
  • kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    Originally posted by daltanious
    Hmm.. correct me if I'm wrong: they plan to shut down current game and NEW one is not yet ready?? Not sure if good idea. I'm not playing it. Started to play on day 1, love lore, disappointment was incredible. Will for sure buy new version, but I'm wondering why they are shutting down before new is completely ready?

probably so they can concentrate on getting the new one out asap..means they are not wasting manpower on a game that is going bye bye anyways..good decision imo.the sooner they can release ARR the better.