Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lord of the Rings Online: Update 9 - Against the Shadow - Goes Live

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Turbine is reporting that the latest patch for Lord of the Rings Online: Riders of Rohan is now live. Called "Update 9: Against the Shadow", the patch brings the first half of the Riders of Rohan instance cluster online as well as the final part of the Mines of Moria revamp.

Key features include:

• Road to Erebor – the first half of the Riders of Rohan instance cluster

• Moria revamp – the final part to the revision of this iconic location

• Fan-favourite Dol Goldur instance cluster now scales to level 85

• Open-tapping (XP for all!) and remote looting technology from Riders of Rohan now applied to all landscape areas.

Read more on the Lord of the Rings Online site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    great..new content..will save that for christmas day .nice to see turbine banging out the content.
  • cyber7chinkcyber7chink Member UncommonPosts: 61
    Ok, what is open tapping?

• KroxMalonKroxMalon Member UncommonPosts: 608
    Originally posted by cyber7chink

Its like frakking but on horse back :)

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

Even if you didn’t hit a mob first as long as you hit it once you’ll get quest credit. They have the same system in RiFT and it’s routinely abused by people hitting you’re mob once then leaving you to do all the work and kill it while they get credit.

• KanylKanyl Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Having a blast in LOTRO right now! Rolled a Warden Elf and fell in love at the starter place (compared to Bree). Much easier and more fun! Will be glad to experience Moria later on!
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

As a festival-goer, Frostbluff changes made me a sad panda... I mean there was a discussion here on mmorpg about STO's winter event grind (log in at least 25 days and do the ice race to receive a pretty great ship), well, that's an easy walk in the park compared to Frostbluff's golden tokens :I

Open tapping is nice, I think it will make the slayer deed grind much easier. The big thing in it is not the "xp for all", as op said, it's the "loot for all" (rare drop to everyone), and "counting to all" (advancing quests and deeds to everyone who's tapped).

Moria revamp part2 is great, I will send an alt through it to see the new quests.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892

I'll be honest I'm not having such a great time.

I'm at a place in the main story where I'm runnign around to the locals and "helping them" in order to get their trust. It's beyond tedious.

I carried a box of apples and THEN carried the basket back. I went across a lake and back to get some sort of carcass, I painted a symbol on armor and now I'm hunting frogs (frogs!) and picking grass.

I'm a bit deflated.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • DeeterDeeter Member UncommonPosts: 135
    This game is still going? User numbers are dwindling every day and the latest expansion was the worst selling one. I can't imagine WB and Turbine are putting their best efforts into this game. Feels almost like an afterthought since Turbine most likely has their A team on their new MMO.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by Deeter
    This game is still going? User numbers are dwindling every day and the latest expansion was the worst selling one. I can't imagine WB and Turbine are putting their best efforts into this game. Feels almost like an afterthought since Turbine most likely has their A team on their new MMO.

Huh?  The numbers are not dwindling from my perspective.  The new areas are as busy as always.  The new Hobbit movie will bring more in too.  They seem to be spending time on this game, the lastest update improves loot collection immensely.

• Flaming_MMOFlaming_MMO Member Posts: 137
    Originally posted by Sovrath

I'm at a place in the main story where I'm runnign around to the locals and "helping them" in order to get their trust. It's beyond tedious.

I carried a box of apples and THEN carried the basket back. I went across a lake and back to get some sort of carcass, I painted a symbol on armor and now I'm hunting frogs (frogs!) and picking grass.

I'm a bit deflated.

Reading this I am reminded why I left the game earlier this year, sounds about the same to me and will be holding off on any return.

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Coolit

Even if you didn’t hit a mob first as long as you hit it once you’ll get quest credit. They have the same system in RiFT and it’s routinely abused by people hitting you’re mob once then leaving you to do all the work and kill it while they get credit.

Funny because it's also used in GW2 and encourages a lot of interaction in overland content.  I round the bend and see someone fighting mobs and start laying into them and help them out.  If there is a local event I'll stay and help them through that too.

-snip-

Absolutely it works perfectly in GW2 and it's one of the best things about the game hence why other developers are implementing it but I think there should be a certain level of participation required before credit is given.

• cstroutscstrouts Member Posts: 2

I'm a bit deflated.

Are you talking about Dunland in the snowy town that I can't remember the name of?  Keep going, it gets better ;)

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

Funny because it's also used in GW2 and encourages a lot of interaction in overland content.  I round the bend and see someone fighting mobs and start laying into them and help them out.  If there is a local event I'll stay and help them through that too.

So what if someone does a drive by and only does 300 damage?  For one it's more damage than nothing and for another we're all on the same team so why wouldn't I want that person to get some xp and loot?  I lose nothing by their drive by.

Don't blame selfish anti-social community behavior on a good game mechanic that promotes more social play.  It's not going to fix that.  Hopefully over time the LotRO community opens up and becomes a little more friendly.  They could take a lesson from the in game communities in both rift and GW2.

edit: For once Turbine is actually improving the quality of their game and that should be encouraged and complimented.

dont know how you think lotro community is poor but i guess you must have come across a few anti social types..but i have never seen any bad  chat on laurelin server or abuse of any kind..thats not to say it does'nt happen but i find the community one of the kindest most helpful in all mmo's that i have played.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892
    Originally posted by cstrouts

I'm a bit deflated.

Are you talking about Dunland in the snowy town that I can't remember the name of?  Keep going, it gets better ;)

Yeah it's dunland. Gets better?

I really hope so. image

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    Awesome update.  Love this game.  Quality of Life patch is what this was and it rocks.  Take note SWTOR, you do a patch like this and you might be surprised at all the new and "old" faces that show up.
  • MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Great stuff.
  • strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by kevjards

So what if someone does a drive by and only does 300 damage?  For one it's more damage than nothing and for another we're all on the same team so why wouldn't I want that person to get some xp and loot?  I lose nothing by their drive by.

Don't blame selfish anti-social community behavior on a good game mechanic that promotes more social play.  It's not going to fix that.  Hopefully over time the LotRO community opens up and becomes a little more friendly.  They could take a lesson from the in game communities in both rift and GW2.

edit: For once Turbine is actually improving the quality of their game and that should be encouraged and complimented.

dont know how you think lotro community is poor but i guess you must have come across a few anti social types..but i have never seen any bad  chat on laurelin server or abuse of any kind..thats not to say it does'nt happen but i find the community one of the kindest most helpful in all mmo's that i have played.

Brandywine GLFF is a cess pool.  Not as bad as WoW trade or Rift pre-SL 1-50, but bad enough.

• dreamsofwardreamsofwar Member Posts: 468
    Originally posted by strangiato2112
    Originally posted by kevjards

Brandywine GLFF is a cess pool.  Not as bad as WoW trade or Rift pre-SL 1-50, but bad enough.

I've not noticed any bad community on Brandywine, Snowbourne is a different story.

• orcasmorcasm Member Posts: 5

Its good to see them finishing off revamping Moria. Along with Bree this maybe means they will improve more of the older lower level regions.