Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Castration & 24 Hour 30% Decrease Movement Because Of The Pain

RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885

Innovation is alive and kicking in this game, it is one of the only MMO at the moment that can say "no other devs have done this" we are the only ones.

From the offline system to kidnapping, Age Of Wushu pushes innovation constantly.

Ok let's look at the latest and the reason for the title of this thread.

Let's not forget that just because you have found the skills does not mean you will keep them.

For those that don't know: Age Of Wushu has school which have skill books that you learn. What some might not know is that it also has ultimate skills which are introduced into the game every now and then. These skills are epic and can have serious effects on your character once learned.

Let's take the latest two skills introduced on the China and Taiwan server.

They are not exactly secrets, since everyone will know eventually. I am talking about the 2 new ultimate skills recently added to the China and Taiwan server for Age of Wushu, the Sunflower Manual and Star Absorbing Skill . The former will require male characters to virtually castrate themselves in order to master the skill, and after castration, the character will have a decrement of 30% in movement speed for 1 day due to the pain…

First off, players will have to get the related treasure item for each skill, Embroidered Needle (Sunflower Manual) and Black Wood Command Tablet (Star Absorbing Skill). These two items spawn randomly from world chests, and each server will have limited amounts of them. These items are character-bound on pickup, unable to put into storage, and each character can only have either one at any time.

If a character carrying either of the treasure items is killed, the treasure item will drop, and everyone can try to loot it. For players without the treasure items, they can pay a fee to a NPC, who will give them tips of the holder who has the least positive relationship with the NPC. If the character is online, the NPC will give the paying players tips on his or her location in the game. For 2 prices, the player can choose to teleport to where the holder is or the nearest save point.

The above in yellow is just another epic simple innovational idea for a FFA PVP system, move over DarkFall

Holding the treasure item, the character can now proceed to find an eunuch NPC to begin the training quest. After getting the required buff, it is time to kill players to obtain points. Each treasure item starts with 15 points. Killing 1 players nabs 1 point, and the same player can only be killed 2 time daily. This process only happens daily from 18:00 till 24:00.

Do note that these points can degenerate, for every 10 minutes offline, 1 point is deducted. Once again, this happens only the 18:00 till 24:00 period daily, which led to majority of the working players raging in the forums… After getting 300 points, the character can now proceed to learn level 1 till 36 of either the Sunflower Manual or Star Absorbing Skill. For the Sunflower Manual, character’s look will change at level 6 (whiter skin), 16 (facial hair gone) and 26 (pinkish makeup). This change is permanent.

Both skills cannot be trained the normal way, and will need to continue killing other players to level them up. Every kill contributes to 1% of the skill level, with each needing 100% to level up. To train till level 49… It means that thousands of players must be killed (same player can only be killed twice daily for points).

The top practitioner of the Sunflower Manual will also get an exclusive set of costume which replicates what Invincible East wore. The Sunflower Manual focuses on control skills, freedom from global skill cooldowns and increasing movement speed, which is very powerful in PvP. The Star Absorbing Skill steals target’s stats to self-boost health (HP) and inner energy (MP), rendering the target severely weakened.

According to players in the China server, a negative thing about these ultimate skills are the huge amount of resources needed to activate and use them, causing them to be emergency-only skills. For both of these ultimate skills, using them at level 6 and below will burn 20,000 skill points every 20 seconds, and at level 7 to 15, burns 40,000 skill points every 20 seconds. Apparently no one has maxed the skills yet, and hopefully there will be positive changes made in future updates.

I actually like the fact that you can't just spam these skills which are really epic in scale and really take dedication to actually aquire.

Comments

• AresPLAresPL Member UncommonPosts: 292
    You forgot to mention source from where You copied it, and dont expect it soon in english versions
  • RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by AresPL
    You forgot to mention source from where You copied it, and dont expect it soon in english versions

Of course i've copied it lol, i'm not in any of the Asian beta's but only two more days till CBT2, Woot!

Nah i'm not expecting this in Age Of Wulin or Age Of Wushu anytime soon but ill be looking forward to something similar. I think they might dumb it down for us in europe, not sure about the US version.

I want to keep people aware of some of the features in Age Of Wushu. Mmorpg.com have been pretty poor in promoting the game,i t's only recently they have taken any real interest, hopefully due to our constant posting since the last beta. Something tells me that they will be giving the game a serious look this time round.

The Info comes from my favorite site for info on Asian MMO's.

Ill leave you to search it out lol.

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

It sounds like people are given an advantage for killing other players which allows them to kill other players better.  Tell me I'm wrong and the system described above doesn't do that.  I don't find it fun being on the receiving end of the killing.  I have a real job and I can't spend every hour of my day improving my advantage over other players just to be on a level playing field with everyone who doesn't have a real life.

The game looks great, but I think I will pass on it if what I'm guessing is true.

Originally posted by syntax42

It sounds like people are given an advantage for killing other players which allows them to kill other players better.  Tell me I'm wrong and the system described above doesn't do that.  I don't find it fun being on the receiving end of the killing.  I have a real job and I can't spend every hour of my day improving my advantage over other players just to be on a level playing field with everyone who doesn't have a real life.

The game looks great, but I think I will pass on it if what I'm guessing is true.

Lol, the game is meant to be brutal, you sign up for it or you don't, no one can blame ya if it's to much for you. It's not your typical get it all for no effort MMO lol.

This is just one feature of the game, you really don't have to get involved in it, plenty of other things to do in the game. This game will not be for everyone, plenty of other MMOs that have less effort more reward type features.

• Allacore69Allacore69 Member Posts: 839

I don't know about this game.......

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

This....killed my urge to try the game. lol.

That sounds pretty lame to me.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

Innovative? Maybe.

Yet I don't have the slightest urge to play a game that wants me to cut my penis off.

Harbinger of Fools
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

They also become public enemy number 1. Kind of like Afro Samurai with the number 1 headband.

Personally I think it sounds pretty cool. Adds some nice depth to the PvP and character progression.

Also kudos to making a game where becoming a eunuch is an advantage haha, brilliant!

Originally posted by Toxia

This....killed my urge to try the game. lol.

That sounds pretty lame to me.

Which part killed your urge lol, skills like these are not meant to come easy. If your talking about the effects of the castration then you do know that beheading and the prison system have side effects, right?

When you first make a character in Age Of Wushu it gives you a message before you log in.

Basically it tells you that the game is a FFA PVP game, do you want to proceed. This isn't GW2 or WOW, logging into the game means you know what you are getting yourself into. Of course you are safe for a while untill you build cultivation to 11 or internal school level 5 up.

Funny thing is because the type of game it is you find players are pretty honorable.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Originally posted by Rimmersman

It sounds like people are given an advantage for killing other players which allows them to kill other players better.  Tell me I'm wrong and the system described above doesn't do that.  I don't find it fun being on the receiving end of the killing.  I have a real job and I can't spend every hour of my day improving my advantage over other players just to be on a level playing field with everyone who doesn't have a real life.   The game looks great, but I think I will pass on it if what I'm guessing is true.

Lol, the game is meant to be brutal, you sign up for it or you don't, no one can blame ya if it's to much for you. It's not your typical get it all for no effort MMO lol.

This is just one feature of the game, you really don't have to get involved in it, plenty of other things to do in the game. This game will not be for everyone, plenty of other MMOs that have less effort more reward type features.

I dunno, doing lots of work to make my character look very metrosexual isn't very appealing, but like you said, will really only be pursued by a small subset of players. While the idea is innovative, doesn't mean it's a good design. Also, sounds like a lot of killing, which makes me think killing becomes so routine that it's largely pointless. A well designed PVP game (aka one with any chance of being commercially successful in the west) will normally have to let the players determine and largely control the level of risk the take. If this title doesn't do so, then it will likely appeal to a very small niche.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• atuerstaratuerstar Member Posts: 234

Timezone specific bonus skills? Very powerful bonus skills that give a player advantages only a few can ever have? Training items acquired by paying an npc to teleport you to the holder?

Sometimes innovation is just stupidity in disguise.

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672

Just want I always wanted to castrate myself in a game /sarcasm

Pass. Innovation does not mean "good innovation"

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

I'm intrigued by this game and will certainly give it a whirl. Might be too hardcore or time-consuming for me, but at least I'll know when I have tested it.

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123

You try to make it sound like only people that have super skills or something will want to play this game when all it takes is time.

Don't get me wrong, I have lots of time to spend playing games but I never think it means I am better then another person just because I choose to do so. That attitude really is childish and it doesn't help do anything other then make others move away from the game.

The game should allow people to have fun no matter what time they have but we don't need to belittle people just because they do not have lots of time to do more prolonged activities.

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672

^

what he said.

pressing buttons doesn't take skill. 9 year old kids kill 15 year mmo veterans in pvp. Fact.

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

Originally posted by Maelwydd

You try to make it sound like only people that have super skills or something will want to play this game when all it takes is time.

Don't get me wrong, I have lots of time to spend playing games but I never think it means I am better then another person just because I choose to do so. That attitude really is childish and it doesn't help do anything other then make others move away from the game.

The game should allow people to have fun no matter what time they have but we don't need to belittle people just because they do not have lots of time to do more prolonged activities.

You have a choice to do whatever you want in the game, not everyone is going to be chasing the Ultimate skills. Hell, you can just craft or farm or man your stalls, you also have PVE dungeons and quest, all be it they are your standard fare.

You have clan vs clan warfare and building forts and land ownership, it's has many features.

Don't forget that you also have other your normal faction school which has skills you can learn.

And you have to remember that we won't see this for a while in the US or European version of the game. All i was saying is people have a choice on whether they play the game or not, their are enough MMO with playstyle that suit every MMO gamer.

I dont need search I knowed from where You took it when I saw it, thats why I wrote You should mention source from where You took, atm its only on test server in china where are only ppl who bought CB key in 2009, so even in china it isnt released yet

as for rest.. keep in mind that its not just 4900 kills, but also a lot of exp, benefits doesnt look so great compared to other internal strenght skills, and not everyone would want to look like that

Originally posted by AresPL

I dont need search I knowed from where You took it when I saw it, thats why I wrote You should mention source from where You took, atm its only on test server in china where are only ppl who bought CB key in 2009, so even in china it isnt released yet

as for rest.. keep in mind that its not just 4900 kills, but also a lot of exp, benefits doesnt look so great compared to other internal strenght skills, and not everyone would want to look like that

It's on the China and Taiwan servers not just the China server, plus i think you will find it's actually on the main server now not the test server.

I actually like the feature change, and i'm a male.

Yeah, it's a lot of kills and xp, some would say to much.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Toxia
    This....killed my urge to try the game. lol. That sounds pretty lame to me.
    Which part killed your urge lol, skills like these are not meant to come easy. If your talking about the effects of the castration then you do know that beheading and the prison system have side effects, right?
    Easy? You make an alteration to your character (may as well be die your hair), slow down for what... 30 minutes? And then the skill is yours for the remainder. I'd rather do a series of epic quests for an hour that at the end teach me the skill. That is effort, not what you describe.

I know some players will go for this type of game. Just not for me. Not a huge fan of castration or rape.

Maybe they can come up with a game play mechanic where for a certain skill, you have to gouge out your eyes and play the rest of the game with a blank screen, or some kind of sonar display? Maybe one where you lop off your left leg and then can only run in circles?

Innovation does not necessarily mean good game play.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

Maybe they can come up with a game play mechanic where for a certain skill, you have to gouge out your eyes and play the rest of the game with a blank screen, or some kind of sonar display? 

Rangarok Online had that. A skill that would increase your attack speed but permanently blind you in return. Too bad blindness effect was client side so people just hacked their clients to remove it.

Harbinger of Fools
  • mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

You guys act like they force you to castrate yourself in RL. Its just a game and new feature for hardcore players to get themselves busy.

As far as I know there were quite alot of martial art practitioners who castrated themselves in order to devote themselves completely in the way of fist. Developers studied history and add pretty accurate details to the game. Im sure I will never get this skill, but I like the idea.

Originally posted by mindw0rk

You guys act like they force you to castrate yourself in RL. Its just a game and new feature for hardcore players to get themselves busy.

As far as I know there were quite alot of martial art practitioners who castrated themselves in order to devote themselves completely in the way of fist. Developers studied history and add pretty accurate details to the game. Im sure I will never get this skill, but I like the idea.

I wonder how many feel the same about George R Martin's Game Of Thrones and his inclusion of Eunuchs especially Lord Varys. They will tell you what a great writer he is or how great the books our no doubt 

The dude who said he does not support rape or castration lol, this is a freaking game.

I don't support running my sword through someones gut or beheading someone but i do it every day in games, especially MMOs.

Anyone who has played Age Of Conan will tell you they don't support the finishing moves in real life.

That comment made no sence to me.

I think it's a great feature and another thing to aim for if you are that type of player, no one is forcing anyone to do it.

nope, test server is way ahead, other servers still dont have many thigns that they got, not sure if they will get it in this year, no info about tomorrows patch yet, but I wouldnt expect it in this year, as we didnt get stuff that test server got months ago
  • drtack1drtack1 Member UncommonPosts: 273
    awesome! I loved my time in CBT1 and cant wait for CBT2
  • crwynncrwynn Member Posts: 1

They're pulling these ultimate abilities from established wuxia lore. Both are from the novel "Xiao Ao Jiang Hu"  by Jin Yong.

See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dongfang_Bubai - Sunflower manual

(In the books, said Invincible East uses a needle/hair pin when using skills from the sunflower manual I believe)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Smiling,_Proud_Wanderer - (search: Star Sucking Great Skill)

(From what I recall, said skill has a literal suction effect, and can basically drain the target of all his qi. What made it so fearsome was that this draining of qi was permanent (and additionally permamently increased the performer's own power as well). Though this is likely not the case in the game)