Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Finding a Corp

svandysvandy Member UncommonPosts: 277
So I really want to get into EVE, but I hear all the stories about Corps scamming new players, griefing them, etc. What is a good way to go about finding a Corp if I don't already know people who play? What things should I look out for?

Please visit my youtube channel for some H1Z1/DayZ casual roleplay videos!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrQoK5VZlwBBzpsksmXtjMQ

Comments

• charlespaynecharlespayne Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Corp standing and how many players it has and how long the corp has been running.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,373
    If it sounds too good to be true, best to be wary. Danger signs include hefty fees to join, offers to move all of your "stuff" out to their home base, corps/alliances with bad reputations (i.e. Any dealing with Goons or Test) and any who promise fabulous rewards (free expensive T2/Capital ships for all). Best bet is to avoid the in game looking for corp channel, far too much scamming, stick with the recruiting channel in the official EVE forums as a good starting point.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

It's hard to tell you what to look for since you didn't say what type of corp you want to join.

I can tell you what you should avoid:

Do not, under any circumstances, pay to join a corp.

Do not give them any assets to move for you.  Most corps just mean well and want to help but it's not worth the risk.

Until you actually are a member of the corp, when you see them in space, assume they're hostile.

Even after you join, on your first few times out with them, do not fly anything expensive.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Originally posted by dave6660

It's hard to tell you what to look for since you didn't say what type of corp you want to join.

I can tell you what you should avoid:

Do not, under any circumstances, pay to join a corp.

Do not give them any assets to move for you.  Most corps just mean well and want to help but it's not worth the risk.

Until you actually are a member of the corp, when you see them in space, assume they're hostile.

Even after you join, on your first few times out with them, do not fly anything expensive.

Is this " Digger Dave " ? from the Old Farts.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • AreWeLiveAreWeLive Member UncommonPosts: 201

It is also a good idea to join their public channel and see what other members in that group are like, you want to make sure its a group of ppl you get along with and have simular goals.

Think about what you want and go from there, make sure they do what your interested in and also look under their corp info for members numbers, 20 members most times means about 5 active members...you want to make sure they will be on when you are so also find out their Time zones and when most of them are online doing things.

The most important thing to in eve to remember is trust no one, everything is a scam. If it does not hurt you in anyway then why not, if there is a chance you will loose something, walk away or scam them first.

• svandysvandy Member UncommonPosts: 277
    well I am still limping through the tutorial though I feel like Exploring/Hacking will be a favorite passtime of mine. So I'd probably want a Corp that can help with that.

Please visit my youtube channel for some H1Z1/DayZ casual roleplay videos!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrQoK5VZlwBBzpsksmXtjMQ

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,373
    Originally posted by svandy
    well I am still limping through the tutorial though I feel like Exploring/Hacking will be a favorite passtime of mine. So I'd probably want a Corp that can help with that.

Thats really more of a sidebar activity, can only do so much, but if you're serious look for a corp/alliance with a solid 0.0 presence as that's where the good Isk can be made hacking/exploring

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• injenuinjenu Member CommonPosts: 142
    No corp should require you to pay to join. Also check their tax rate, which should be around 10%-20%, closer to 20 if they're claiming to be building caps. 
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by svandy
    So I really want to get into EVE, but I hear all the stories about Corps scamming new players, griefing them, etc. What is a good way to go about finding a Corp if I don't already know people who play? What things should I look out for?

-decide what you want in the game, direction etc.

-then choose a newb friendly corp that suits your plans.

-only then look at their 'demands' and decide if you are willing to fulfill those, some corps are lenient, some corps are very strict & require you to login + suit their needs 99% of the time....it's up to you if you do that or not.

-if you find a corp that suits your playstayle, join that corp, socialize, but always be aware that some of those players might be thieves or spies for the enemy, even longtime members.

Be wary with loaning out your stuff, like in the real world would you trust a person you know for 5d with your last $100 or not?

Always read contracts before accepting, if a deal looks too good, it probably is.

**plus oldest scamming trick in the book: if a corp wants you to PAY them in order to join: it's a scam.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"