Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Guild Wars 2: Wintersday is Here!

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Over the past few days, we've been taking part in the Wintersday festivities in Guild Wars 2. We've got a few thoughts to share about all the holiday cheer that you won't want to miss. Read on!

Much like the Halloween event in October, ArenaNet has changed the face of Lion’s Arch to fit the holiday feel.  The ground is covered with snow, and presents are laying around at every corner.  Players are also sporting a nice new look, with a town outfit that would keep anyone warm in the cold.  Other players are showing of their brand new Wintersday weapon skins, which can now be purchased separately.  This is a very welcomed change, but I do wonder if 200 gems are a bit much for a single weapon skin.  But at least you now have a chance to get exactly what you want without having to go through hundreds of random loot boxes.  Some players are even finding their desired weapon skins in their gifts.

Read more of David North's Guild Wars 2: Wintersday is Here!

After conquering the jumping puzzle you are greeted by cheering gingerbread men.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    I don't recall transforming MMORPGs into fantasy holiday simulators as being part of the ArenaNet manifesto.

Steam: Neph

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704
    Those jumping puzzles are near impossible to do, they are insane..

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748
    Goddamn candy canes and santa hats. I am so sick of human, real world holidays in MMORPGs...guess I am feeling scrooge like. I get enough xmas IRL. lol
  • QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,795
    For me ANet managed to give those events enough flavour to make them feel like they belong to the world. I love the new jumping puzzle, one of the best they have ever made.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    I haven't felt motivated to log in myself, but I've been watching the forums to see what people are saying.  and people don't seem to be saying much.  Nothing like the uproar over the last two updates.  Is it just because there aren't any major issues?  Maybe they should try intentionally pissing people off a little, to drum up a bit more discussion?

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• livespartanlivespartan Member Posts: 71
    Originally posted by Vhaln
    I haven't felt motivated to log in myself, but I've been watching the forums to see what people are saying.  and people don't seem to be saying much.  Nothing like the uproar over the last two updates.  Is it just because there aren't any major issues?  Maybe they should try intentionally pissing people off a little, to drum up a bit more discussion?

The event is amazing there isn't much to complain about why do you want them to piss people off? If you want to have a reall disscusion this website isn't gonna give you one go to the official forums or the GW2 reddit.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Are jumping puzzles literally just jumping on platforms or are there unique powerups, interactive objects ala metroid or megaman style?

• Originally posted by Foomerang

Are jumping puzzles literally just jumping on platforms or are there unique powerups, interactive objects ala metroid or megaman style?

most of the ones i have done involve just jumping from place to place however there are some that are different. one that comes to mind involves no jumping at all. its underwater and you activate a portal.  you get a limited amount of time get the coordinates set before it closes. if you dont get them set right it can port you a good distance away.  it even ported me right next to a champ mob once XD.

edit: another one i liked although it was broken(dont know if they fixed it yet) was one where you had 3 mins to transport a bomb from one side of a canyon to the other by jumping from cliff to cliff while avoiding mobs

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by gaou
    Originally posted by Foomerang Are jumping puzzles literally just jumping on platforms or are there unique powerups, interactive objects ala metroid or megaman style?
    most of the ones i have done involve just jumping from place to place however there are some that are different. one that comes to mind involves no jumping at all. its underwater and you activate a portal.  you get a limited amount of time get the coordinates set before it closes. if you dont get them set right it can port you a good distance away.  it even ported me right next to a champ mob once XD.

edit: another one i liked although it was broken(dont know if they fixed it yet) was one where you had 3 mins to transport a bomb from one side of a canyon to the other by jumping from cliff to cliff while avoiding mobs

Haha nice! Rift has some puzzles that are more brain teasers than hand eye coordination. But there are some player made jumping puzzles that are pretty epic. Still, my console roots have spoiled me in this regard and i havent seen any mmo jumping puzzles that come close to the old school platformers.
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

...and while this is reported with gusto other games that don't spend so much on advertising have their events (and reviews) slide away silently...

Any chance of reporting on EQ2's? Or didn't they send you in a press release to copy/ paste?

While I am here... you guys ever gonna review EQ or EQ2's latest expacks? In between covering GW2's every breath I mean?

• illyanaillyana Member UncommonPosts: 614

wintersday is so awesome and ANEt too

they even have the wonderfully festive Wintersday soundtrack in Soundcloud

https://soundcloud.com/arenanet/sets/guild-wars-2-wintersday-2012

Have fun storming the castle! - Miracle Max

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    Logged in for 10 minutes, tried a few wintersday stuff, was totally bored.  Logged off, haven't touched or thought of it since. 
  • KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879

Finished a 1st stop Tixx Infinirarium run (Haven't done the 2nd stop yet). It was neat, and really fast.

The jumping puzzle was like the Clocktower one back in Haloween, although people were saying that this one was actuallly easier. I may never finish this though, just like the clocktower. :(

The music minigame was fun!

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by elocke
    Logged in for 10 minutes, tried a few wintersday stuff, was totally bored.  Logged off, haven't touched or thought of it since. 

Same here...why do you think that is? I am actually perplexed on why I can't get into GW2. It has a lot of things that I like, but I can't bring myself to play.

• zastrophzastroph Member Posts: 242
    Don't open those xmas presents laying around the country side unless you like being mobed!
  • elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    Originally posted by bigsmiff

Same here...why do you think that is? I am actually perplexed on why I can't get into GW2. It has a lot of things that I like, but I can't bring myself to play.

Good question.  I too enjoyed it for the first few weeks, but then what I enjoyed ended.  Basically the exploration factor and progression of my character and story.  Now that I've completed those aspects of the game, I have no desire to play it until more of the same is added or new systems put into the game to flesh it out more.

Right now, all we're getting is additions to the gameplay that didn't appeal to me as much.  Namely jumping puzzles, dungeons and events.  That's how it is for me at least.  Your mileage and reasons may vary or maybe are the same?

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

I feel the same way...

• SvarcanumSvarcanum Member UncommonPosts: 425
    Originally posted by Naral
    Goddamn candy canes and santa hats. I am so sick of human, real world holidays in MMORPGs...guess I am feeling scrooge like. I get enough xmas IRL. lol

Haha, I so agree. Wintersday actually made me quit GW2 for a while. I'll be back when it's over I guess.

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672
    Didn't even bother with Wintersday. This game thinks its the SIMs online or something. Its not an action mmo at all. Its a jump till ur crazy. Throw some lame snowballs (havent done that b4). Do the same event every month with different skins. But i mean hey if thats your thing. umm..enjoy..

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672

Anet does not test anything for fun factor. They just throw content in your face.

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• causscauss Member UncommonPosts: 666
    Well at least I'm not the only one. GW2 is a really well made game, and lots of things I like. But somehow I just can't login. Nothing in me that wants to play. Strange...
  • neosparkkneosparkk Member UncommonPosts: 59
    Wintersday is here! And it STILL won't bring me back to deal ANet's BS. Just like dozens of other mmo companies they weren't able to keep half their promises and even betrayed a number of them. They released an unfinished game, won't roll out necessary updates, censor the forums like madmen, and are just throwing out limited time updates to make it look like they're doing something worthwhile. They've already taken a step to make the game Pay 2 win with the fractals update, They aren't totally there yet but it's just the start in a long dreary road. But that's what they'll have to do as a company now to make money since they're sweating players left and right, and offered barely anything in the way of cosmetic and other things to purchase via cash shop. GW2 and ANet was one of my biggest video game letdowns ever.
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

Been enjoying the game so far! -the beauty of it is you can log in and play jump into anything and its fun and rewarding-log out for a few days  and log in again and do the same.

no need for grind, no need to 'WANT' that specific weapon to move forward, no need to spend time looking for a group todo something.-

Iam right now enjoying borerlands2 , and log in todo holiday events in GW2-and it feels like i havent left it- thats what i see myself doin for a while-no other mmo has cought my interest-iam hoping they will have personal story expansions in shop in the new year- Anet did a fantastic job fleshing out Lore.

• shawn19606shawn19606 Member UncommonPosts: 29

Wow. I feel the exact same way as you. Lots of good stuff in this game seamingly. However, it's a boring game to play. Maybe anet should have tried to make their game fun first and then worry about the rest later.

• chbautistchbautist Member Posts: 50
    I play play xcom. login in GW2 mostly makes me think of what is missing from the best features of GW1. grouping was much easier in GW1 and hero companions made it much easier to play between friends. The world is empty in most lower level zones, instances were not that bad when you compare with empty zones. maybe the 3 servers from WvW should share the same pve world.