Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Review] Rift: Storm Legion is a Winner

Comments

• sancher36sancher36 Member UncommonPosts: 458

The game is not for everyone but in the end you have to admit that trion are still doing a great job in pushing out content to keep the game fresh. 

Now as for gw2 I lasted a week playing it before it got boring to me and I returned to rift. 

• JycesJyces Member CommonPosts: 7
    When I first saw 'Rift: Storm Legion' being advertised on several different MMO sites, my initial thought was "Wow. Rift has an expansion coming out? I didn't realize anyone played anymore". I tried original Rift when it first came out, but quit soon after due to it having many similarities to a game I was already playing at the time  (WoW). At first, I had no intentions on playing this expansion. It wasn't until I came acrossed reviews of this game. I could not believe the large amount of positivity and praise that this expansion was being given. Curiousity eventually got the best of me, so I cracked and ended up buying the expansion. Let me start by saying, the reviews do not even give this game justice! It is nothing short of amazing. I cannot even believe that this is the same game. Trion has polished this game to perfection - no word of a lie. My advice to all players who previously played original Rift but ending up quiting? Come back! You will not regret it. 
  • BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by Jyces
    When I first saw 'Rift: Storm Legion' being advertised on several different MMO sites, my initial thought was "Wow. Rift has an expansion coming out? I didn't realize anyone played anymore". I tried original Rift when it first came out, but quit soon after due to it having many similarities to a game I was already playing at the time  (WoW). At first, I had no intentions on playing this expansion. It wasn't until I came acrossed reviews of this game. I could not believe the large amount of positivity and praise that this expansion was being given. Curiousity eventually got the best of me, so I cracked and ended up buying the expansion. Let me start by saying, the reviews do not even give this game justice! It is nothing short of amazing. I cannot even believe that this is the same game. Trion has polished this game to perfection - no word of a lie. My advice to all players who previously played original Rift but ending up quiting? Come back! You will not regret it. 

Ancient Korean Proverb: "Trust not an "endorsement" from a 1 post forum handle."

• FreezzoFreezzo Member UncommonPosts: 235

Originally posted by Burntvet

Ancient Korean Proverb: "Trust not an "endorsement" from a 1 post forum handle."

Then mind if I add an endorsement to the one above? :) I played RIFT from head-start, ended up leaving when SWTOR came out. After the launch of GW2 it took me a whole 3 weeks to find RIFT and I've been stuck with the game ever since :)

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." - John F. Kennedy
    And for MMORPGs ever so true...

• WarwaterWarwater Member Posts: 3
    This just proves that you don't need to make a game F2P to save a game!!
  • mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

Originally posted by DMKano

Storm Legion would go down in history as one of the most epic expansions period, the Trion team should be awarded for the work they've done here, as since Kunark (1st eq1 expansion), what else has even come close?

WoW: Cataclysm? 

Not only it added new zones, but fully redone whole old world with thousands of new quests and new unique features. Im afraid Storm Legion cant touch that even if its a good expansion.

On another note Im surprised to hear that RIFT has changed so much. I thought it was extremely boring clone at release. Maybe I should give it another shot

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

The only thing boring in gaming world are people complaining about clones. What I do care is if game is FUN, PLAYABLE, possibly BUG FREE, have good ANIMATIONS, ....

The last word I'm interested in is INNOVATION. This crap attitute have ruined a lot of could be good games.

What, new Mercedes have also 4 wheels? Uaaa .. fail, fail, fail ..... uaaaaa ...  

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283
    Originally posted by daltanious

The only thing boring in gaming world are people complaining about clones. What I do care is if game is FUN, PLAYABLE, possibly BUG FREE, have good ANIMATIONS, ....

The last word I'm interested in is INNOVATION. This crap attitute have ruined a lot of could be good games.

What, new Mercedes have also 4 wheels? Uaaa .. fail, fail, fail ..... uaaaaa ...  

Hey, if you like driving a black Honda Civic with a casette plater like youve done for 20 years...

• CalmmoCalmmo Member Posts: 52

MMMOrpg.com The website for former mmo players/haters.

If rift is a clone of anything that is EQ. Also dont bring the how many people play argument. Its invalid. EU has it hard in rift due to trions lack of effort to support the game in that reagion but if anyone played rift on release, Icewatch atm is worth about three times the pop on 1.0 servers.

Anyway rift is great in what it is, and its the best of its kind, even if it may be that just because its the latest in that traditional mmorpg sub genre you ex players now call "themepark". no ones fault everyone on this damn page is yet another stuck up casual from the pop culture explosion of WoW a few years back and that you cant really play anything else wihtout seing warcrfat attatched to anything that calls it self mmorpg. Also stop trying to promote botwars two as inovation, its not. Unless the buy to play model is considered inovation on its own in some magical alternative universe. Its a damn shitty game with semi decent pve leveling and only worth the time for hardcore pvp (good for 1% of those who play mmos then ey)

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Calmmo

If rift is a clone of anything that is EQ. 

uh, no.

Not even close.

Rift is almost as far from EQ conceptually as possible.

Originally posted by Burntvet

Endorsement? No. I've actually had an account on this site for a while now but just never posted up until now. That doesn't mean my review isn't legit. I decided to take the time to write this review based on my experience. Believe what you will.

Originally posted by mindw0rk

Storm Legion would go down in history as one of the most epic expansions period, the Trion team should be awarded for the work they've done here, as since Kunark (1st eq1 expansion), what else has even come close?

Not only it added new zones, but fully redone whole old world with thousands of new quests and new unique features. Im afraid Storm Legion cant touch that even if its a good expansion.

On another note Im surprised to hear that RIFT has changed so much. I thought it was extremely boring clone at release. Maybe I should give it another shot

I've actually never heard anyone say that Cataclysm was one of the most epic expansions to ever have come out. Although I am happy you enjoyed it (I actually didn't find it that bad either), the fact of the matter is that the majority of WoW players despised it and are thrilled to have moved on to another expansion.

Rift has come out with many  new features, added a ton of quests, and has more than tripled in size - I fail to see how Storm Legion "can't touch that". My advice to you is that you should give it another try, then reevaluate your review based on actual game experience.

I've actually never heard anyone say that Cataclysm was one of the most epic expansions to ever have come out. Although I am happy you enjoyed it (I actually didn't find it that bad either), the fact of the matter is that the majority of WoW players despised it and are thrilled to have moved on to another expansion.

Rift has come out with many  new features, added a ton of quests, and has more than tripled in size - I fail to see how Storm Legion "can't touch that". My advice to you is that you should give it another try, then reevaluate your review based on actual game experience.

Granted much of the assets were already in game (but plenty did change), but the size of Kalimdor + EK + the Cata zones is easily bigger than SL.  But as I said, much of the assets were already there.  

Originally posted by strangiato2112

Granted much of the assets were already in game (but plenty did change), but the size of Kalimdor + EK + the Cata zones is easily bigger than SL.  But as I said, much of the assets were already there.  
    Of course WoW is going to be much bigger.  It has 6 years and several expansions on Rift.
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Cakeisyummeh

Originally posted by Yaoiman [mod edit]
    [mod edit]

A "real" MMO gamer that's only just this year discovered this website? Give me a break.

I don't doubt that Trion has put together a solid expansion for their game. I think they can write a theme park MMO about as well as one can be written. Not only that, they're expanding it and they are still collecting subscriptions. They are also writing another game, financed at least in part by Rift. End of Nations didn't go so well with having another developer do the work, so hopefully bringing it in house will allow them to complete the game and get a real MMORTS out the door.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• CalmmoCalmmo Member Posts: 52

uh, no.

Not even close.

Then how far from wow is it? 1.000 light years? lol/

As for cataclysm being mentioned. PLEASE wake up, wow has been but a husk of it former self since wotlk.

In any case this review is rather weak and doesnt even mention let alone rate some of the biggest selling points of the game. Raiding for example, not one mention. Anywyay incomplete review is incomplete

Of course WoW is going to be much bigger.  It has 6 years and several expansions on Rift.

That was a direct comparison between cataclysm and Storm Legion.  The argument could be made that Cataclysm was bigger than SL if you take into acount all the work they put in to re do the vanilla zones.  It has zero to do with how long WoW has been out.

uh, no.

Not even close.

Then how far from wow is it? 1.000 light years? lol/

Everquest: Leveling primarily done in groups

WoW: Designed to solo to cap as main method of leveling

Rift: Designed to solo to cap as main method of leveling

Everquest:  Large, static dungeons that arent a straight path from start to end

WoW: instanced, on-rails dungeons

Rift: instanced, on-rails dungeons

Everquest: massive, 50+ man raids

WoW: medium and small 25/10 raids

Rift: medium and small 20/10 raids

Everquest: Difficult crafting with high rates of failure for the top items

WoW: easy gathering, click and combine guaranteed item (and skill up)

Rift: easy gathering, click and combine guaranteed item (and skill up)

Everquest: Open world PvP only, little focus on PvP

WoW: Primary PvP focus on instanced combat (Battlegrounds and Arenas)

Rift: Prmary PvP focus on instanced combat (Battlegrounds)

Everquest:  Deadly mobs, where multiple mobs could mean death

WoW: weak mobs designed to be AoEd

Rift: weak mobs designed to be AoEd

Everquest:  Long, rewarding quests and item acquisition

WoW: instant gratification

Rift: instant gratification

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everquest: Huge sprawling launch world, interesting races, multiple leveling paths

WoW: Large sprawling launch world, interesting races, multiple leveling paths

Rift: Small launch world, bland races, linear leveling experience  Large, sprawling expansion though, but no change linear leveling experience.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everquest:  Level cap character progression both gear and AAs with AAs being a huge part of player power

WoW:gear only level cap progression

Rift: Both gear and AAs, with AAs being largely irrelevant

• dolgran8dolgran8 Member Posts: 8
    Storm Legion is hands down the best expansion ever released to any MMO in gaming history. Trion is a pantheon for dev gods..
    Originally posted by dolgran8
    Storm Legion is hands down the best expansion ever released to any MMO since Echoes of Faydwer. Trion is a pantheon for dev gods..

fixed that for you

• BadDaysBadDays Member Posts: 1

I may come off as a rift fan, to which I am, but does that mean my opinion is overexxagerated? To the ones who just "tried it out," probably. One of the main things I see that turns people off from Rift is the lack of high population at early game. It's to be expected when rift content is focused at the end level. "Trying it out" means you've only taken a small taste. That also means that those who's played it fully can tell you about a bigger experience. And that's what I'm going by.

As a player who has gone through a lot of the content: raided, pvped, built my own dimension, puged, socialized (as far as that term goes in mmo to the naysayers), quested, grinded, leveled, crafted, and even just standing around being derpy; 

This game has really been a blast and still is. The raids are spectacular and often difficult yet exciting as class roles are pretty much versatile, leaving many options on who does what. Now, I will be honest and say there are min/max builds, but raid composition can have different classes doing roles uncommon to the typical stereotype. A rogue can dps, support, and even tank. Clerics can do all. Warriors have various tank and dps specs while mages can dps, support or heal.

All that holds anyone back from doing a different role is simply a lack of experience or gear to fit the desired role.

Storm legion has been out for a while now and believe me when I tell you that they have fixed many things since release. Quickly. Botting has been and is being addressed. Many bugs and glitches have been fixed. There are a still kinks I'm sure, but none that I have had a problem with. What is more amazing by the quick fixes however, is content THAT IS STILL BEING HAND OUT.

We've recently have a new 20 man raid that ties majorly to a leading figure that has been terrorizing Telara pre expansion. Regulos, the king of Death himself. The fight set in the Plane of death, which is amazing to me just as amazing as fighting Crucia in space. To have an expansion that allows you to defeat huge characters so early just alarms you that there is something even more amazing coming out later from the Dev team.

If you have never experienced the fast Trion content patches, updates, and hot fixes, then you would not understand how major and exciting it is to know that something is just around the corner, waiting to undermine the current astounding raids we have now. And even better yet, it is not another expansion or content you have to pay for, it's just a free update of content.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by dolgran8
    Storm Legion is hands down the best expansion ever released to any MMO in gaming history. Trion is a pantheon for dev gods..

Let me better elaborate this...

If you like Rift, then this expansion is amazing.  If you haven't played Rift before, or have and didn't really like it, this expansion is fairly pointless.

You make me like charity

• BrianMMOBrianMMO Member Posts: 45

More of the same as usual. I bought the expansion, though. So many good reviews made me think that this expansion is above average. Guess what, it IS average. Good luck with the next expansion, never say never, hehe

2 of 5 points

• kinikukiniku Member Posts: 53
    Lipstick on a bigger pig.  Same mechanics, new wrapper.  If you love Rift you'll love this new place to ride around and Rift hunt.
  • CaliminsCalimins Member Posts: 1

The game as of yet has Storm Legion and now the release of free 2 play. Trion claims that there is no possible way that the game is pay 2 win now with the rift store, tradable REX and the massive amount of people taking complete advantage of new players with the enticing bulk of plat they spend WAY under market value. The economy has shifted much like most mmo's do with the help of currency sellers. The difference is, this game doesn't even need the bots and sellers to make this game less than what the reviews say. The community has ruined it just like most every f2p game after release.

There isn't much of a difference than most of the others, it's just like WoW with a flashy graphical flair compared the cartoony look WoW has. The gameplay is very much like it, it's button mash city like it used to be, just now there's more buttons to mash. They added in macros, that are so limited, in order to use  them you have to have a rotation that doesn't include any instant casts(which all the important skills are) otherwise it's great to make a spam macro....

If you play this game, expect to get into it immediately. However, after a few months and a couple 60's later, you come to realize that it's the same S different mmo except now with Storm Legion, everything below lvl 60 is actually pretty useless. How many games that revive themselves with new content leave their old content to be obsolete?? There's 5 different types of currency that you can't even use unless you want it just for wardrobe(costume gear) Even though it's upgradable to relic, there is absolutely no use for it other than looks. Which they just so happen to sell on the rift store for real money credits.

PVP? What pvp? it's Zerg vs Zerg all the way. And if you happen to have enough of a certain class on the other team it's more time efficient to just bounce out and accept the debuff. Half the people now just start standing there afk getting whatever prestige and favor they can while everyone else gets slaughtered. The only negative they can receive is a debuff that prevents them from joining pvp for 15 min.

Instant Adventures: gone horribly wrong because now half your team goes afk right when they join and there IS NO WAY TO KICK THEM. Party leader has no option to do so. Yay! One of the best ways to lvl is now occupied with people that wanna leech and do no work.

Conquest: Total zerg vs zerg....and most others do the same as above or are there to kill mobs for quests. Same with Port Scion.

Dungeons: PUG's are the worst thing ever....too many classes with no skill or understanding of their role in the instance causing constant wipes. Then when they get voted out of the group, instead of instantly porting them out, they are allowed to be out of party and to pull the entire dungeon down on top of everyone once again wiping the party before they leave. Whats the negative for them? 15 min debuff that they can't join dungeons. Really? just cost the whole team close to 20p to repair and some more, and all they get is a 15 min debuff? Cmmon..

PVE: boring, repetitive, and very lacking in any skill until you get into raids or SL/SLexpert dungeons then see above for dungeon pug problems.

Guilds: With the release of f2p and the REX buy/sell issue screwing up the economy....everyone and their mother has a guild. It makes it almost impossible to get any decent people in your guild because money is so easy to get. So with money being so easy to get, you can afford the vaults for bank space. 150p 300p 1500p 3000p and up with each bank space giving you more space than a personal bank. Plus the guild perks....the only people that truly want guilds now are the ones that want free stuff, bounce guilds to raid the gbank, or people that are so rude that everyone kicks them out.

Dimensions: An absolute waste of money, no benefits, barely any praise, no reason to go there(yet they say). Trust me on this one, I spent 1500p for the guild dimension another 2k in dimension items to customize it. Made it fairly detailed, full bar, strip club w/ stage and seating...every practice dummy that exists....a jumping puzzle so extensive and hard I have not had one person win my 1000p contest to finish while I stood up top watching. They keep saying they're going to make them useful in some way...lol this morning they added a dimension item to the rift cash store that makes you jump really high like a bouncy ball and move 2x as fast. 600 credits. That's = to around 800-1k plat worth for something so useless. I personally spent weeks on my guild dimension, then I keep getting keys for loyalty and completing tasks....like im going to go do it all over again in another dimension....for nothing. I even was able to get married and divorced in 20 min total and get 2 achievements, but not one for spending over a week on my guild dimension.

totally utterly a waste of money and time imo....can't even get my 200 guild members to use the dummies there or try the JP.

Economy: Post SL and Pre f2p the economy was amazing. Balanced, fair and able for all to make some decent money. There were no REX to buy/sell and even the plat sellers weren't that prevalent.

-now: It is completely screwed up. Instead of the traditional farming for mats and selling them to get a great profit, it's now overrun with people trying to buy REX(tradable rl cash currency) from the noobies at ripoff low prices and resell on the ah for more than should be made by one person. The skill in this game has gone completely out the window and you have a choice...join the people that prey on the new or weaker players, work that much harder to make up the money in materials or grind out everything yourself so you can make it instead.

Crafting- Now with the cash shop you can have all 11 trades on 1 character for a price. The thing that they do not tell you after you have spent all that money on them to max them...is that there are a ton more recipes that are missing and can only be bought with RL currency. Not just that, but engame.....there's only a couple items from each craft that are even worth a darn compared to the expert, world, raid and hunt gear which take TONS of reputation and tokens to get.

*Expert, World, Raid and PVP gears can now be bought with RL gems/currency in the rift store and from the vendors in TB. Rift is not pay2win Trion says.* 

All in all it's just another copy that actually was a pretty good game prior to f2p. IMO if they would have implemented everything that have EXCEPT for being able to buy end game gear with credits and the whole idea of REX, the game would be in pretty good shape. Now it's just another copy of WoW but p2w and the same despicable people that spend their online time ripping new players off and driving the economy up higher and higher.