Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please people, tell me you're not ignorant and gullible, PLEASE!

Comments

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by Whitebeards
    Originally posted by Boonshniggle

Mark my words, this will be a standard cookie cutter MMO. It will not have anything revolutionary, at least not in any big way. The Elder Scrolls brand is being used as nothing but Lore and an Atmosphere for their world. The game itself will be very much so your standard WoW, SWTOR, Everquest, etc. type affair, just set in an Elder Scrolls universe.

If you think this will play anything remotely like Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, or Skyrim and with MMO elements, you are going to be setting yourself up for a world of disappointment.

I really hope gamers learned from SWTOR and not listen to any hype, especially when a franchise you love is at stake. Please, be critical and logical and don't let your hope blind your logic and judgement.

This is the truth, rather you like it or not. So many of my friends didn't listen to me about SWTOR and every one of them regrets their purchase and support of that product. Now those same friends are getting hyped about this game thinking it will be MMO Skyrim. They will not listen to me say otherwise.

If you guys want to think it will be MMO Skyrim, go ahead, but at least this time I can feel I tried to warn more people about a brand that is mostly being used to rape your wallets and do nothing but build hype....for the most part anyways.

Revolutionary and innovative are overused and overrated buzz words and do not guarantee success or fun. Give me a good MMO i could care less how many MMOS they have copied.

And who are you by the way? i have no reason to trust you or listen to you.

His name is....<insert dramatic wild west music>...Boonshniggle

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    I agree with OP. Unless we MMO gamers stop buying this dumbing down and mainstreaming of awesome IPs then this garbage will continue to be released.
  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by Psychow
    Originally posted by Whitebeards

Mark my words, this will be a standard cookie cutter MMO. It will not have anything revolutionary, at least not in any big way. The Elder Scrolls brand is being used as nothing but Lore and an Atmosphere for their world. The game itself will be very much so your standard WoW, SWTOR, Everquest, etc. type affair, just set in an Elder Scrolls universe.

If you think this will play anything remotely like Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, or Skyrim and with MMO elements, you are going to be setting yourself up for a world of disappointment.

I really hope gamers learned from SWTOR and not listen to any hype, especially when a franchise you love is at stake. Please, be critical and logical and don't let your hope blind your logic and judgement.

This is the truth, rather you like it or not. So many of my friends didn't listen to me about SWTOR and every one of them regrets their purchase and support of that product. Now those same friends are getting hyped about this game thinking it will be MMO Skyrim. They will not listen to me say otherwise.

If you guys want to think it will be MMO Skyrim, go ahead, but at least this time I can feel I tried to warn more people about a brand that is mostly being used to rape your wallets and do nothing but build hype....for the most part anyways.

Revolutionary and innovative are overused and overrated buzz words and do not guarantee success or fun. Give me a good MMO i could care less how many MMOS they have copied.

And who are you by the way? i have no reason to trust you or listen to you.

His name is.......Boonshniggle

I shnickered.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by Yamota
    I agree with OP. Unless we MMO gamers stop buying this dumbing down and mainstreaming of awesome IPs then this garbage will continue to be released.

yeah but that assumes everyone has a problem with it but we are all "for some reason" still buying it.

I bet dollars to donuts that there are plenty of people who have no problem with buying a game, having fun in it for a small bit, not expecting the holy grail of games or seeking "NEW AND IMPROVED"  and then moving on.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692

Some will never learn and will always expect a game to be something it isn't. SWTOR is prime example of this.  Too many wanted it to be something it was never designed to be and as such were very pissed when it wasn't SWG2 or an X-Wing vs TIE Fighter MMO, oh well, it's their fault for not doing the proper research and reading between the lines to figure out for themselves.  I for one could tell right off the bat that it wasn't going to be what either of those groups wanted.  I still play the game because I still have fun playing it.  It ain't perfect but it isn't a pile of trash like those that created false hype for themselves and those like them claim it to be.

Players need to stop looking through rose colored glasses and learn to comprhend the info put out by these companies.  They are all in business for one reason, to make a profit period.  They will skew things as much as possible to draw you in without stepping over that perverbial line that would result in lawsuites.  It's your money, and in the end, its your responsibility to know what you are buying.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by Latronus

Some will never learn and will always expect a game to be something it isn't. SWTOR is prime example of this.  Too many wanted it to be something it was never designed to be and as such were very pissed when it wasn't SWG2 or an X-Wing vs TIE Fighter MMO, oh well, it's their fault for not doing the proper research and reading between the lines to figure out for themselves.  I for one could tell right off the bat that it wasn't going to be what either of those groups wanted.  I still play the game because I still have fun playing it.  It ain't perfect but it isn't a pile of trash like those that created false hype for themselves and those like them claim it to be.

Players need to stop looking through rose colored glasses and learn to comprhend the info put out by these companies.  They are all in business for one reason, to make a profit period.  They will skew things as much as possible to draw you in without stepping over that perverbial line that would result in lawsuites.  It's your money, and in the end, its your responsibility to know what you are buying.

+1 I completely agree.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885

Okay.image

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by Sovrath

yeah but that assumes everyone has a problem with it but we are all "for some reason" still buying it.

I bet dollars to donuts that there are plenty of people who have no problem with buying a game, having fun in it for a small bit, not expecting the holy grail of games or seeking "NEW AND IMPROVED"  and then moving on.

Exactly my perspective.  I'm not looking for The One True Game(tm). It literally doesn't and will never exist.  NO actual game will ever be able to live up to peoples projections, expectations and the inevitable media hype.  

All I'm looking for these days, is a game thats entertaining.  If thats only for a month or two, then so be it.  Longer would be a bonus, but its not a requirement. 

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

...Please, be critical and logical and don't let your hope blind your logic and judgement.

This is the truth....

I think it's ironic that someone can remind us to be critical and logical in one sentence, then in next sentence tells us "the truth" of an unrealeased game.

• BoonshniggleBoonshniggle Member Posts: 48

Bottom line, if it was possible to really make a true Elder Scrolls experience in an MMO... Bethesda would be heading it's development. To them this is no different than allowing a third party to pay for using their name to develop an Oblivion cell phone game.

They know people will mostly buy it for the name, but even if they don't like it...Bethesda themselves won't get too much flack because they didn't develop it. Just easy money to them really, regardless of how successful it is.

No one really is gonna let the failure of this game affect them buying the next true Bethesda developed Elder Scrolls game, and they know that.

Originally posted by Wraithone

Exactly my perspective.  I'm not looking for The One True Game(tm). It literally doesn't and will never exist.  NO actual game will ever be able to live up to peoples projections, expectations and the inevitable media hype.  

All I'm looking for these days, is a game thats entertaining.  If thats only for a month or two, then so be it.  Longer would be a bonus, but its not a requirement. 

This is not about the One True game. This is about great IPs being butchered and dumbed down to cater to the masses.

Skyrim was an awesome game so an MMO like Skyrim would be even more awesome. However since the masses want to all be the "heroes" and be able to "finish the game" then instead of creating a Skyrim experience in an MMO setting, then they instead create some generic ThemePark, single player garbage where everyone can be a hero and now you get to pay a monthly fee for it. YAY!

It's never the customers fault. If you create something and it fails because it does not meet the expectations of the market then it is your fault as the developer and no one else.

Now if you mean it is the customers fault for buying something that they dont want then isnt this exactly what the OP is doing? Warning, those of us who dont like ThemePark garbage, to stay away from it? Yet he is at fault as well.

I guess it is everyone's fault except the bussiness, they are just here to make profit so they cant ever be at fault. image

• SiderasSideras Member Posts: 231
    The things that sound interesting about TESO is the PvP, the enemy AI and the combat system. But I'll stay cautiously hyped :P
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395

Failure in concept, OP.  This is looking like DAoC fitted into an Elder Scrolls skin.   You know, that game that many extoll as having the best mix of pve and realm vs realm pvp conflict?

It's not going to be like the Single Player game.  Granted.  But that goes with the territory of being an online game with a lot of other folks running around as well.  Technical and mechanical limitations.  Etc/

Anyway, it is all abstraction.  Punching buttons and waggling your mouse around are not exact substitutes for real swordplay.  Nothing is.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    May it sounded like daoc when they first talked about it.

But....
    Instanced raid endgame
    Instanced dungeons
    Instanced zones

Don't sound very daoc to me.
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by KingGator
    I can tell from all the hate this game is getting it will probably be a solid title.
    Let me recommend to you, based on your criteria for solid games, SW:TOR :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

Even though I feel that the "standard MMO format" is bland garbage, I still think people have to make up their own minds. I think that Information is always good to have, but the tone of your public service announcement was at odds with your professed intent.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832

Waiting to see but honestly not expecting much....

- Not the same Studio/Team that's responsible for TES single player RPG's.

- Not all that long before the announcement of TESO came out one of the main developers responsible for the single-player games responded to fan questions about turning the series into an MMO said that he felt  the TES series wouldn't work as an MMO and would make a pretty crappy one if they tried. Whoops! "arrow to the knee", I guess corporate forgot to fill him in on thier plans! FWIW, I tend to agree with him...and he WAS alot of the creative talent that helped make the series popular in the first place.

That being said, it might be worth the price of $30-$40 for a couple month's entertainment....or it might not...we'll wait and see what folks I know (not reporters) have to say about it when it comes out..... worst comes to worst, I can probably check it out F2P in a couple years time. YMMV.

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692

It's never the customers fault. If you create something and it fails because it does not meet the expectations of the market then it is your fault as the developer and no one else.

Now if you mean it is the customers fault for buying something that they dont want then isnt this exactly what the OP is doing? Warning, those of us who dont like ThemePark garbage, to stay away from it? Yet he is at fault as well.

I guess it is everyone's fault except the bussiness, they are just here to make profit so they cant ever be at fault. image

You can put a cute little emoticon at the end of your post but you obviously haven't heard of Caveat emptor now have you.  It is YOUR fault if you buy something and it isn't what you expected unless you were obviously lied to.  Get a clue dude, it's your money.  If buy something and let yourself be fooled it aint the companies fault unless they lied to you.  If they did then prove it in a court of law.

Now if they totally screw up and made something that is in no way what the market research says the customer wants, then it is their fault, but in my opinion that is not what EA/Bioware did.  They stated what there plans were and stupid people twisted that info into what they wanted to hear.  In other words, for those that wanted the type of game I listed above it is their own damn fault they got let down if they believed it was going to be SWG2 of a free roam space type of game because that is what Star Wars is all about and in truth, space has almost nothing at all to do with what Star Wars was all about.  It was about redemption, period. 

Now if they are in the group that are all pissed because there are no chat bubbles, or they need add-ons to succeed or in any other small minority of people that hate the game because it doesn't have X then oh well, they should have done more research to see it their must haves were in the game, and since they obviously didn't, it's their fault! 

My point is still true.  Research something before you buy into hype or you will be dissappointed and that is in no way Company X's fault.  Gamers like to blame the company for their own shortsightedness and don't like to take RESPONSIBILITY for their actions.  It's time to grow the fuck up and stop blaming others for ones own mistakes.

**Edit**

By the way, if people need to be warned, then maybe they need to find another hobby because they obviously don't learn from mistakes. 

• BoonshniggleBoonshniggle Member Posts: 48
    Originally posted by GrumpyMel2

Waiting to see but honestly not expecting much....

- Not the same Studio/Team that's responsible for TES single player RPG's.

- Not all that long before the announcement of TESO came out one of the main developers responsible for the single-player games responded to fan questions about turning the series into an MMO said that he felt  the TES series wouldn't work as an MMO and would make a pretty crappy one if they tried. Whoops! "arrow to the knee", I guess corporate forgot to fill him in on thier plans! FWIW, I tend to agree with him...and he WAS alot of the creative talent that helped make the series popular in the first place.

That being said, it might be worth the price of $30-$40 for a couple month's entertainment....or it might not...we'll wait and see what folks I know (not reporters) have to say about it when it comes out..... worst comes to worst, I can probably check it out F2P in a couple years time. YMMV.

Ummm, they still think it's a bad idea and they still are not developing an Elder Scrolls MMO. like you said, they are letting a completely different developement team take the risk while they just get a percentage off what they sell for using their IP to do it.

If Bethesda felt it was a good risk for them to take, they would...but they aren't.

Bethesda literally has no hands in the developement of this game. ZERO. They are merely leasing the IP, nothing else.

Considering none of the developers from any other Elder Scrolls game are working on ESO, its hard to expect something consistent, at least in terms of gameplay, to any of the previous titles.

• MyTabbycatMyTabbycat Member UncommonPosts: 316

Interesting how people don't even wait for a game to be out in beta before they start to bash it.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

This is not about the One True game. This is about great IPs being butchered and dumbed down to cater to the masses.

Skyrim was an awesome game so an MMO like Skyrim would be even more awesome. However since the masses want to all be the "heroes" and be able to "finish the game" then instead of creating a Skyrim experience in an MMO setting, then they instead create some generic ThemePark, single player garbage where everyone can be a hero and now you get to pay a monthly fee for it. YAY!

The "masses" (main stream) is where the most money is. These games tend to be very expensive, so they get directed at the demographic that is likely to bring in the most return on investment. Thats simply how the free market (such as it is) works.  There is MUCH more market for theme park games, than for sand box at this point. 

WoW is a classic example of a theme park.  For all of those who howl about Blizzards game, its obvious that millions and millions of people consider it to be of enough value, to continue to pay a monthy subscription...For years and years now.  It has made them billions of dollars. 

I'm going to wait until the game actually launches, and see how it plays.  I suggest that everyone make their own decision in that regard. 

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • ZeerahaZeeraha Member UncommonPosts: 67

The "masses" (main stream) is where the most money is. These games tend to be very expensive, so they get directed at the demographic that is likely to bring in the most return on investment. Thats simply how the free market (such as it is) works.  There is MUCH more market for theme park games, than for sand box at this point. 

WoW is a classic example of a theme park.  For all of those who howl about Blizzards game, its obvious that millions and millions of people consider it to be of enough value, to continue to pay a monthy subscription...For years and years now.  It has made them billions of dollars. 

I'm going to wait until the game actually launches, and see how it plays.  I suggest that everyone make their own decision in that regard. 

You spoke true words, BMO. WoW is the major example what kind of players make majority in MMO market. Still, WoW is top quality product in technical terms, based on Lore already established amongst majority of players, Blizzard is huge company with huge experince prior to WoW launch. And, WoW still lives.

And how can you take a cut from WoW's market pie, longterm? Can you do it by making MMO with similar gameplay design, only by adding FPV combat which is also simplified compared to original TES. Can you do it with less budget than your competitor, and less support? Why would players abandon WoW or any other similar established MMO to pay and play rader another similar MMO with minor inovations? GW2 had inovations, but is not successful enough. 

Being new at something for MMO is just not enough. You have to be truly revolutionary and offer something that engages players in quite different ways, and for that fact people would leave WoW type MMO and try something completely new. Unfortunately, ESO didn't present it self in that light, and it is fair to expect not to be the new MMO experience.

• Dear_LeaderDear_Leader Member UncommonPosts: 5

You guys do still understand this will not be anything like previous Elder Scrolls games? It literally will be mainly a standard MMO formula set in an Elder Scrolls universe?

As long as that's what you are expecting, then I am happy.

But if you except a game that plays anything like previous Elder Scrolls titles with MMO elements to it.....it just isn't going to be that.

The studio developing this game probably isn't capable of making even a good mediocre true Elder Scrolls single player game, let alone an MMO one.

They are mainly using Elder Scrolls for lore and setting....not in anyway the actual gameplay. Just the limited video out there showing you any sort of combat is already proof of that.

I hope I am wrong, I doubt that though.

And do you understand for example, franchise based pinball machines while not anything like the material they were taken from, were still very much like pinball, which is what the majority of pinball players actually wanted.

Go down there and tell them that if I hear Gangnam style one more time, there will be trouble.

• timtracktimtrack Member UncommonPosts: 541
    Sounds awesome, can't wait!