Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please people, tell me you're not ignorant and gullible, PLEASE!

Mark my words, this will be a standard cookie cutter MMO. It will not have anything revolutionary, at least not in any big way. The Elder Scrolls brand is being used as nothing but Lore and an Atmosphere for their world. The game itself will be very much so your standard WoW, SWTOR, Everquest, etc. type affair, just set in an Elder Scrolls universe.

If you think this will play anything remotely like Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, or Skyrim and with MMO elements, you are going to be setting yourself up for a world of disappointment.

I really hope gamers learned from SWTOR and not listen to any hype, especially when a franchise you love is at stake. Please, be critical and logical and don't let your hope blind your logic and judgement.

This is the truth, rather you like it or not. So many of my friends didn't listen to me about SWTOR and every one of them regrets their purchase and support of that product. Now those same friends are getting hyped about this game thinking it will be MMO Skyrim. They will not listen to me say otherwise.

If you guys want to think it will be MMO Skyrim, go ahead, but at least this time I can feel I tried to warn more people about a brand that is mostly being used to rape your wallets and do nothing but build hype....for the most part anyways.

Comments

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306
    Originally posted by Boonshniggle

Mark my words, this will be a standard cookie cutter MMO. It will not have anything revolutionary, at least not in any big way. The Elder Scrolls brand is being used as nothing but Lore and an Atmosphere for their world. The game itself will be very much so your standard WoW, SWTOR, Everquest, etc. type affair, just set in an Elder Scrolls universe.

If you think this will play anything remotely like Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, or Skyrim and with MMO elements, you are going to be setting yourself up for a world of disappointment.

I really hope gamers learned from SWTOR and not listen to any hype, especially when a franchise you love is at stake. Please, be critical and logical and don't let your hope blind your logic and judgement.

This is the truth, rather you like it or not. So many of my friends didn't listen to me about SWTOR and every one of them regrets their purchase and support of that product. Now those same friends are getting hyped about this game thinking it will be MMO Skyrim. They will not listen to me say otherwise.

If you guys want to think it will be MMO Skyrim, go ahead, but at least this time I can feel I tried to warn more people about a brand that is mostly being used to rape your wallets and do nothing but build hype....for the most part anyways.

But I should listen to you?

Obviously they are idiots, or at least too lazy to do research.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• KingGatorKingGator Member UncommonPosts: 428

I want a new standard mmo. The last game I tried that promised e a revolution(GW2) sucked massively.  I can tell from all the hate this game is getting it will probably be a solid title.

• Mike-McQueenMike-McQueen Member UncommonPosts: 267
    Agreed. Only, to me at least, $50-80 for a month or two of enjoyment is worth it. So ill sink the dough and find out first hand all the goods and bads and hope they use some of my money to develop something that doesn't suck.

I'm a unique and beautiful snowflake.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Well, first off, this is by design, they have pretty much admitted that.

As far as the SWToR remark, I actually liked SWToR and it was exactly what they said it would be up to the point that they ran out of content. So I would be quite angry if I listned to you, didn't play SWToR and then found out I was missing a fun game. IN other words, let people make up their minds.

Personally I am curious about the game fully knowing that it won't be mmo skyrim or even bettah, morrowind.

And this is coming from a huge morrowind, oblvion, skyrim fan.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Well, first off, this is by design, they have pretty much admitted that.

As far as the SWToR remark, I actually liked SWToR and it was exactly what they said it would be up to the point that they ran out of content. So I would be quite angry if I listned to you, didn't play SWToR and then found out I was missing a fun game. IN other words, let people make up their minds.

Personally I am curious about the game fully knowing that it won't be mmo skyrim or even bettah, morrowind.

And this is coming from a huge morrowind, oblvion, skyrim fan.

Sovrath I agree with you. However, I did learn not to buy a collectors edition :-) lol

There Is Always Hope!

• BoonshniggleBoonshniggle Member Posts: 48

You guys do still understand this will not be anything like previous Elder Scrolls games? It literally will be mainly a standard MMO formula set in an Elder Scrolls universe?

As long as that's what you are expecting, then I am happy.

But if you except a game that plays anything like previous Elder Scrolls titles with MMO elements to it.....it just isn't going to be that.

The studio developing this game probably isn't capable of making even a good mediocre true Elder Scrolls single player game, let alone an MMO one.

They are mainly using Elder Scrolls for lore and setting....not in anyway the actual gameplay. Just the limited video out there showing you any sort of combat is already proof of that.

I hope I am wrong, I doubt that though.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306

You guys do still understand this will not be anything like previous Elder Scrolls games? It literally will be mainly a standard MMO formula set in an Elder Scrolls universe?

But if you except a game that plays anything like previous Elder Scrolls titles with MMO elements to it.....it just isn't going to be that.

The studio developing this game probably isn't capable of making even a good mediocre true Elder Scrolls single player game, let alone an MMO one.

They are mainly using Elder Scrolls for lore and setting....not in anyway the actual gameplay. Just the limited video out there showing you any sort of combat is already proof of that.

I think it has been gone over quite a bit here. Most of us are aware that it will not be like the previous ES games. Some of us are withholding judgement until we see it a bit closer to launch.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

I very much, and sadly, understand that it won't be like an elderscrolls team.

read sadly as SADLY.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Originally posted by keithian

Sovrath I agree with you. However, I did learn not to buy a collectors edition :-) lol

lol, yeah, you and me both. ; )

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

Zenimax / Bethesda probably feel like they can generate significant profit if the expenses are kept low.  I haven't seen any budget thus far for TESO, but it would be interesting.

While it may end up being something akin to SWTOR, it will be attacking the high fantasy genre, which might work to the benefit of TESO, regardless of whether anyone reading this buys the game.  GW2 was my last hype based impulse purchase (I hope), and it was the game that was supposed to change the industry.  Instead it ended up boring me to tears.

I expect more flashy particle effects to help cover up TESO's character non-animations and combat that brings me down memory lane from 10 years ago.  Lots of ads, catchy cinematic trailers, bells & whistles, and a slogan about how awesome the game will be.  A nice dev quote about this game killing WoW would be icing on the cake.

I have a feeling a whole lot of people are going to be buying this game, without really knowing what they are getting into.  Cant wait to read the forums here then!

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Iam looking forward to right mouse and block incomming attacks tough :)
    RvR can entertain me for a solid 1000 hours alone just like GW2 did.

That means for me it will be worth the money.

I must admit that after DaoC / EQ / WoW / Eve - that studio's doesnt make a good effort to improve the genre.

It feeds community's with hype and promise change....end when the tittle launches it shows its collors and is just another mmo.

GW2 was very good imo, just lame WvW dint get any attention it needed.

Iam looking forward to another standard mmo for a month or 2 :P

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

It has FPS combat (at least in the sense you swing with Left click you have to aim and Block with Right) and free-form leveling of the skills and weapons/armor you want to use with Perk trees like Skyrim...

That right there makes it different in progression systems and combat mechanics than any other MMO out there.

Pointless flame bait troll thread is pointless.

Originally posted by BadSpock

It has FPS combat (at least in the sense you swing with Left click and Block with Right) and free-form leveling of the skills and weapons/armor you want to use with Perk trees like Skyrim...

That right there makes it different in progression systems than any other MMO out there.

Pointless flame bait troll thread is pointless.

I would have to agree, the "non-tab" targetting makes it a draw for me.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

As with all such things, I'm going to wait until its out, and see how it plays.   I suggest that everyone else, make their own decisions as well. 

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

Really? Single player ES game are pretty boring, combat has to be different unless you want pause in a mmo to be like a true ES title. It looks like it is shaping up to be like DAoC to me, which is a great thing.

Quick catch phrase: Sorry ES fans, no pause here.

• ConsequenceConsequence Member UncommonPosts: 358

Seems to me the OP has done the same thing he is asking people not to do and that is make up your mind before playing the game.

Do I think it is likely cookie cutter? Yes.

Am I going to make up my mind before I see the game for myself? No.

• NickcsNickcs Member UncommonPosts: 50
    ... Wrong post/thread etc ..

• JorlJorl Member UncommonPosts: 257

I couldn't agree more my friend.

EQ and WoW are the best MMOs ever made. And people are tired of games turning out to be a themepark because they already played it... WoW for expample, yes I've typed it again but that is why every one relates to WoW cause its THE mmo. A lot of companies thought it would be as successful as blizzard but we all know what happens. But I will take a look at this game reviews but a lot of the reviews are the ones created by simple folk and then paid by companies to hype up their game. Take my advice people becareful what reviews you read, and read a lot before u decide to pay £40 - £45 or $55 - $60 for the pre-order. :P

• BoonshniggleBoonshniggle Member Posts: 48

If you watch interviews with the developers it is VERY clear that not one of them have actually worked on any other Elder Scrolls games...at least especially the combat designers. When they talk about the combat in ESO it sounds nothing like combat in other Elder Scrolls in any way. Like not even close....really....watch this one....

When they talk about gameplay mechanics it sounds totally foreign to any mechanics from the previous titles.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Only time will tell.
  • WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778

Revolutionary and innovative are overused and overrated buzz words and do not guarantee success or fun. Give me a good MMO i could care less how many MMOS they have copied.

And who are you by the way? i have no reason to trust you or listen to you.

• BlueLanternBlueLantern Member Posts: 96
    lol, take your logic and stick it where the sun don't shine! we need something to pit against Guild Wars 2! we can't very well continue to pump up sure loser games that are dropping like flies and we can't look toward futile re-releases of crappers like DF/FFXIV. we need something to fanboy on about!

• TalgenTalgen Member UncommonPosts: 400

By your thread title alone:

Don't ask me, the world is gonna end in 3.5 days anyway...

If you watch interviews with the developers it is VERY clear that not one of them have actually worked on any other Elder Scrolls games...at least especially the combat designers. When they talk about the combat in ESO it sounds nothing like combat in other Elder Scrolls in any way. Like not even close....really....watch this one....

When they talk about gameplay mechanics it sounds totally foreign to any mechanics from the previous titles.

I don't think they need to have worked on an elder  scrolls game. I mean, have you? yet you can, with confidence, talk about the combat in an elder scrolls game. At least from a player perspective.

I'm sure that before they started develpoing this game that they  at least fired up one of the elder scrolls games and got an idea of the flavor.

The key here is that they are not making an elder scrolls online game. They are making an elder scrolls mmo. From everything I've read and watched they are pretty up front with this.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

Hello Tinfoil Hat...

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !