Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

what do you miss in mmo and why you dont play them anymore.

i would play a new W.O.W. if they upgraded the graphics engine...they need to reinvent wow...because every good mmo got every part of goodness from wow...

i miss the battlegrounds/arena of wow, rift,

i miss the warfront or warzones whatever

i miss good graphics and good fps

i miss huttball but everything else about swtor sucks

i miss the graphics of rift but the community sucks

i miss generally nice people

i miss game developers taking risks

i miss games without cash shops.

i miss good customer service.

i miss subscription games that are worth playing

Comments

• Boradin5011Boradin5011 Member Posts: 12

I miss wilderness.  Everywhere you turn in modern MMO's there are npcs, quests, events, etc. I miss large forest that you can get lost in, places where you had to navigate by landmarks rather than instant portals or spells.   I remember some locations from DaoC as if they we real. Nothing in todays MMO's creates the same enviroment. 

• MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782
    I miss good people that liked to do difficult things together in the game.
  • MasterKush818MasterKush818 Member Posts: 26
    i miss dungeons.....actual dungeons....nothing has been anything like wow...everything is so easy mode now :( im not a wow fanboi...the game just did so many things right all it needs is a good polishing...and to stop pandering to the chinese. i mean the pandas.  its out of control when you have people in prison playing wow overseas.
  • gordiflugordiflu Member UncommonPosts: 757
    Originally posted by Magiknight
    I miss good people that liked to do difficult things together in the game.

+99999999E99

THIS

• snoop101snoop101 Member UncommonPosts: 400

I hate WOW now because of how good it was during Vanilla/BC. 

Others have already said it. they did dungeons right back in the day. 

I miss a sense of...

exploration - Some people hate this and it seems like now a days people want to get from point A to point B with one click. They think that it saves time and the new MMO player only has an hour or two a day. I'll use WOW as an example, but doing SM was awesome back in the day. If you were alliance you had to have two people go on this adventure across the lands to summon your group. Less people did, but the rewards were great for the level. On PvP server there was a change to get ganked and added the thrill of making it there. Some good PvP was done at the summoning stone at SM. Just an example and I can go on for ever about how Bliz screwed their own game. (ohhh how I would sub monthly for a Vanilla or BC server)

Achievement - Everything now a days is instant gratification. Only a select few still make you work for what you have. People want to be top level and have all the cookies without putting in the time. Imagine in real life if you got hired on and the next day you were a manager. Just think about that. 

Community - I guess this plays in with the others, but when I started in MMO's the people you played with were all "computer people" and everyone was somewhat of a geek. You had simular interests and there was a sense of dedication. I say dedication in a way that not to many people just dropped group for no reason or talked like they were 5 years old. Obviously there were exceptions, but on the whole the community was very very different. 

MMO Companies - I feel that years ago gaming companies spent more time developing and less time trying to make a quick buck. I'll go back to WOW. When BC came out it felt so Epic and you felt that your money was well spent. Now a days it seems people buy games to find out its either garbage or going to be garbage. Star wars was a good example of this. Thankfully I never did buy it. 

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    I miss decent people who want to play the game, not wave their e-peens, gank, tell fart jokes in public chat, kill steal, etc.  I am so tired of playing with people who I actively hate to be around that I just don't play anymore.  That's why I pretty much only play single-player games these days, at least I don't have to deal with all of the assholes.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• CerebralMCerebralM Member Posts: 21

Games that required other people....

Living cities... The EC tunnel. I could go on and on... 

MMO's have very few if any RPG elements anymore. Items that are rare, crafting that is meaningful. A sense of adventure and risk... no risk = no sense of accomplishment.

I don't know. I have zero faith I'll find another game like classic EQ/UO/Vanilla WoW or even SWG.

• legendsololegendsolo Member UncommonPosts: 81

Non combat activities. couldnt care less about story or action combat, the idea of killing mob after mob or 'grinding' quests.

one of the reasons i havent enjoyed gaming in a long time.

• RossbossRossboss Member Posts: 240
    Originally posted by Boradin5011

I miss wilderness.  Everywhere you turn in modern MMO's there are npcs, quests, events, etc. I miss large forest that you can get lost in, places where you had to navigate by landmarks rather than instant portals or spells.   I remember some locations from DaoC as if they we real. Nothing in todays MMO's creates the same enviroment. 

I definitely agree. No sense of adventure or finding unknown treasures in the open world anymore. I would totally dig it if they brought back some of the uninhabited environments and ninja enemies that popped out of the branches or snow to attack you.

I played WoW up until WotLK, played RoM for 2 years and now Rift.
    I am F2P player. I support games when I feel they deserve my money and I want the items enough.
    I don't troll, and I don't take kindly to trolls.

• tman5tman5 Member Posts: 604
    Originally posted by Rossboss
    Originally posted by Boradin5011

I definitely agree. No sense of adventure or finding unknown treasures in the open world anymore. I would totally dig it if they brought back some of the uninhabited environments and ninja enemies that popped out of the branches or snow to attack you.

Agree +1.  The sense of exploring and the feeling you are the first person to see something, even if a thousand people had been there before you.  The illusion that the entire world hasn't already been colonized.

And community. Players who actually play together

• HikaruuHikaruu Member CommonPosts: 103

parties, communication.

when is tarted playing MMOs 10 or so years ago this was a MAJOR part of them. now many MMOs are soloable and give very little reason to group up, and the ones you DO group in, generally have no communication whatsoever. hit lfg button, join party, clear easymode dungeon, leaveparty. maybe add a bit of trolling if someone in grp is new.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by MasterKush818
    i miss games without cash shops.
    That's my top one.

I also miss:
    Adventure.
    Discovery.
    Times when light sources mattered.
    Having the same armor and weapons for 10 or more levels.
    Compasses (or the sense heading skill) - not maps.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

I miss having to suck up to the guildleader or the inner circle to get chosen to go on raids

I miss having to earn points in some faulty arbitrary point system like the dkp system and all it's incarnations,  in order to progress my character past max level

I miss spending several hours trying to kill something 20 times my avatars size only for it to drop 3 or 4 pieces to be destributed among 20 - 40 people, while having to deal with a raid leader who thinks he is Napoleon.

I miss being ninja looted by random players, because my current pool of regulars are offline and my only other form of entertainment is grinding crafting, creating the same item over and over and over, just to gain some advancement

I miss having to go through the exact same content over and over, every time I have to create a new toon

I miss having my favorite arch type, the crowd controller taken away from me, because it upsets game balance to be able to lock mobs down enmass

I miss nerfs to my favorite classes shortly after settling down with something I finally find fun to play

I miss the whining on forums because things aren't equal between everybody

I miss the few jerks all guilds have, that just want to make you do /guildquit, where the only thing stopping you is your acumilative raid points or the fact that joining another guild is only going to present the same problem, if possibly on a worse scale

God I miss a lot of things

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

What do I miss? MMORPG's have been dead for years now, So I miss MMORPG's, you know the games that had a a real game world, the ones you had to work together to get something accomplished, the ones that gave you options of what to do, the ones in which there was a real personal story, (which was not a script some idiot dev wrote up, you knuckleheads), the ones which you had to put effort into it to get something accomplished, I could write a 10 page essay on what I miss, but you get the point so ill leave it at that .

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

I miss having a good subscription based mmo to play.

I miss worlds with no instancing.

I miss having to struggle for a long time to get to max level. Some of the best times I had in DAOC aside from RvR, was dungeon crawling with a group of people. People socialized while we killed mobs, got our loot.

I miss mmo's with real good crafting, where crafted items are the best in the game.

I miss mmo's that had very few quests, you had huge open worlds to explore, who needed quest grinding?

I miss kill spams in an mmo. (Pre-TOA of Course) DAOC was made even more fun for me by having it. Was hilarious to enter Cornwall, for example, and see.."Son and so, was just killed by a cornish hen!" Or when you're out in the frontiers getting coin from killing mobs, seeing death spam of someone on your side being slain, you'd message the person that was dead and rush to them to rez them if you could and hunt down & kill their attacker.

I miss having so many classes to choose from, and so much diversity among them. (Again like in DAOC (Pre-Toa)

I miss good housing in an mmo.

I miss mmo's with real open world pvp. Being stuck with battlegrounds, is not my idea of real pvp.

I miss mmo's that don't have cash shops.

I miss mmorpg's. There aren't enough real ones anymore.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot