Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: Who Will Make The Epic Fantasy Game?

2»

Comments

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by I_Return
    I could

So could I, but it would appeal to less than 1% of the current player base.  Most everyone grumpiong here every weekend, would still be here grumping.

Trick is finding the producer that's willing to live with 100k instead of 10mill.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• rommellorommello Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 185
    prolly it will be some random jakass that no1 knows that comes outta nowhere and makes the epic fantasy game. Thats how it works i think...

hallo ~_~

• AntiocheAntioche Member UncommonPosts: 132

When people are allowed to invest time and money in return for real influence, and the opportunity to shape a game they take on a very different role from the one that we see most gamers in today. Most mmorpg players view their subscription fee as granting access to a themepark that has been designed to meet their needs. Yet what they really need is a genuine stake in what they are doing. Going to a movie doesn't involve any interaction with the other people in the room, and it certainly doesn't ever entail a period of time before the film is made where people can provide their own thoughts and suggestions. If it did we would probably have better films. Likewise, games like Star Citizen are benefitting from the involvement from the playerbase. WoW's interface design benefitted in the same ways. Players were given access to aspects of the game and the things they created were truly outstanding. WoW interface addons changed the way the game was played forever. Many of the greatest games have aspects where the community has come in and had the opportunity to do things that the developers never planned for, and it is often those things that make games truly epic. 

A long time ago I used to play MUDs, and one of the developers named Kavir, who created the godwars codebase using some other codebases, wrote a blog post about the unintended consequences of game code. Things that players do that a game designer never expected that were truly clever, and resourceful. They were often little things. 

I think if we want a truly epic fantasy game we need a living world, where encounters aren't scripted, they are created in the minds of players who are given the tools they need to carry them out. Whether these are simple village raids, castle sieges, fighting some huge dragon that threatens the world, or whatever it is. 

The other thing that makes a world epic (and not a game) is that epic things only happen once. That's what makes them epic. This means that content must be generated at a pace that far exceeds what current mmorpgs have been able to produce, which also means that content production needs to be placed in the hands of players to the greatest degree possible. How this is done exactly would be up to the team, but think controlled chaos. =) Anyway those are my two cents on what needs to happen in order to create a truly epic fantasy world.  Also, I think Eve should have been mentioned in this article as a sci-fi mmorpg that has done an amazing job of creating an epic, unscripted player experience for many people.

It is pathos we lack, and this lack of pathos makes the worlds we explore quite stale.

http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/Antioche

• allendale5allendale5 Member Posts: 124
    Player funded MMO's will only work if the devs actually incorporate the player suggestions into the game.  I feel that if they don't do it in a meaningful way, then it is no different than any other high risk IPO insofar as they are spreading their costs out on an up-front basis as opposed to recouping it through subscriptions and coin shops.  Players, beware.
  • RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885

I've said it now for a while and we are now approaching the age of the hybrid MMO rather than one or the other. We have SOE coming with EQNext which will be an hybrid and IMO more PVE hevey than PVP although it will have a great PVP system.

ArcheAge

EQNext

Age Of Wushu

There are numerous other hybrid MMO's coming our way over the next three years. Games like GW2 may have a different combat system from your trypical themepark but it's not original. There are other MMO's where i can use any weapon and other MMO's with the action combat that have come before GW2.

On top of that it really lacks many MMO featrures that other MMO's have, it's a quick fix and not a world where you think you could live in for years.

Star Citizen has some great features and it has a known dev who has proven himself already. All these other dev jumping on the bandwagon are not going to get our money so quickly, we know what we want.

I don't know why the OP goes on about housing because many games already have it. Vanguard has a great housing system and it's race specific. A Kojan house does not look the same as a Qalian house or Thestrian house.

The furniture is different and eveything about each house.

Age Of Wushu is the closet you can get to what the OP is discribing what he would like to see in MMO's.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I actually think EQNext, whatever it may be, is going to be that game.

But like any SOE release, it will be buggy and broken and will still be a niche title.

I just hope they get the character models right... EQ2 has one of if not the worst character models and animations of any MMO I've played. Fuuuuuuugly.

Actually, Titan is going to be the next big thing, sometime, maybe, eventually, when the sun novas...

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by allendale5
    Player funded MMO's will only work if the devs actually incorporate the player suggestions into the game.  I feel that if they don't do it in a meaningful way, then it is no different than any other high risk IPO insofar as they are spreading their costs out on an up-front basis as opposed to recouping it through subscriptions and coin shops.  Players, beware.

Player funded MMO's will not work - they still need an infusion of a large amount of cash from somewhere. ALso, listening to palyer suggestions is many times detrimental to the game itself. I mean, take Rift, in the first 2 weeks after it was released they nerfed builds so much so they were unplayable and that was based on players comments/suggestions. Players are very self-serving and do not care if others areaffected. They only care about themselves.

There is nothing wrong with some of the games out now. Are they perfect no way and they could be improved immensely but also the companies have to follow their own designs and be true to them.

People who say they could make the next big MMO - I say put up or shut up. There are too many backseat quarterbacks and not enough people actually trying to do something about it.

• AkumawraithAkumawraith Member UncommonPosts: 370
    I dunno, Citadel of Sorcery is looking very promising if the Devs get full control of content. I think this game alone is one that will set a new standard in the Fantasy MMO genre.

Played: UO, LotR, WoW, SWG, DDO, AoC, EVE, Warhammer, TF2, EQ2, SWTOR, TSW, CSS, KF, L4D, AoW, WoT

Playing: The Secret World until Citadel of Sorcery goes into Alpha testing.

Tired of: Linear quest games, dailies, and dumbed down games

Anticipating:Citadel of Sorcery

• RlechotRlechot Member UncommonPosts: 25
    Citadel of Sorcery is bringing everything to the table. They created their own fantasy storyline and they created their own software engine. The game is going to give everyone what they seek in a MMO. From player housing, crafting, to PvP, to in depth story questing that is specific to every person individually. Do yourself a favor and really look at the program they are putting together. There is nothing else like this game if they can deliver what they say they can. I'm not blowing smoke, I have been looking for some kind of MMO that gives all the aspects of what Star Wars Galaxies offered pre NGE and I found it with CoS.
    Citadel of Sorcery is bringing everything to the table. They created their own fantasy storyline and they created their own software engine. The game is going to give everyone what they seek in a MMO. From player housing, crafting, to PvP, to in depth story questing that is specific to every person individually. Do yourself a favor and really look at the program they are putting together. There is nothing else like this game if they can deliver what they say they can. I'm not blowing smoke, I have been looking for some kind of MMO that gives all the aspects of what Star Wars Galaxies offered pre NGE and I found it with CoS.
    Originally posted by Rlechot

http://www.gameindustry.com/interview/item.asp?id=72

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

You already have it: GUILD WARS 2.

It is already Outstanding 3 months after realese...Give it a couple of years more...a couple of expansions...

imageimageimage

imageimageimage

imageimageimage