Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How is the game? Is it a "joke"?

JakeSimJakeSim Member RarePosts: 883
How is the game now? I used to play and honestly got kinda bored. It mighta just been the combat system but also, has the game really turned into a "joke" due to the pandas or whatever? I read this before and Idk if Blizz is just messing around with the WoW "franchise" or w/e.
Please come check out my stream. All the love is appreciated! 

TWITCH: @JakeSimTV

Comments

• slickbizzleslickbizzle Member Posts: 464
    Originally posted by Tidel
    How is the game now? I used to play and honestly got kinda bored. It mighta just been the combat system but also, has the game really turned into a "joke" due to the pandas or whatever? I read this before and Idk if Blizz is just messing around with the WoW "franchise" or w/e.

Game is the same as it has always been. Get to max level, then grind for things.  Same as every other MMO out there. I don't think pandas are any more of a "joke" than any other character in any MMO (Except those attractive humans). 

Wait... Are you checking in to see if it's "cool" to play the game again?  It's as cool as it ever was, young brother. Cool as it ever was.

• JakeSimJakeSim Member RarePosts: 883
    Thanks!
    Please come check out my stream. All the love is appreciated! 

TWITCH: @JakeSimTV
  • Darklotus79Darklotus79 Member Posts: 61
    WoW has always been a good game..If its a joke then so are the rest of the theme park world. Although I dont play WoW atm. Im sure one day I'll play it again. Even thow Its the same old thing..It still does it the best.
  • EdelbertEdelbert Member Posts: 67
    Originally posted by slickbizzle

Game is the same as it has always been. Get to max level, then grind for things.  Same as every other MMO out there.

This is horseshit and not true at all. Maybe it is time for you to expand your horizon.

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Originally posted by Edelbert

Game is the same as it has always been. Get to max level, then grind for things.  Same as every other MMO out there.

This is horseshit and not true at all. Maybe it is time for you to expand your horizon.

No it isn't. Even in vanilla, you got to max level and then grind for things. The factor which caused people to leave at BC was people realized they'd have to get to max level, and then grind for things. WotLK - get to max level faster, grind faster for more things. pandaland - get to max level, grind for things.

Save for a very few games, this is what you do in them also. 

The part you think is horseshit, is that either, a. you think this horseshit used to be fun and now you don't. or b. you think there are more than just a very few games this horseshit doesn't apply to.

The part that concerns me, for the OP: if the combat system bored you from playing, you will still get bored by this combat system. It hasn't grown more complex, and many argue it is easier than it was.

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    Originally posted by Zorgo

No it isn't. Even in vanilla, you got to max level and then grind for things. The factor which caused people to leave at BC was people realized they'd have to get to max level, and then grind for things. WotLK - get to max level faster, grind faster for more things. pandaland - get to max level, grind for things.

The part you think is horseshit, is that either, a. you think this horseshit used to be fun and now you don't. or b. you think there are more than just a very few games this horseshit doesn't apply to.

The part that concerns me, for the OP: if the combat system bored you from playing, you will still get bored by this combat system. It hasn't grown more complex, and many argue it is easier than it was.

I tend to agree with this.  In general an MMO is a timesink (that should be fun) but is a timesink none the less.  I started WoW out of boredom in September and was surprised at how much fun it is.  I like the tab targeted combat model  (I dont like GW2)  I like that I can quest.  I can queue for Dungeons.  But the the real hook for me is the number of achievements.  I dont just have to play through the quests hub-to-hub-to-hub.  I can actually branch out and try my luck at something else.

I like the graphic aesthetic. I miss the whimsical cartoon look of RPGs from the SNES days. It does have it flaws (all games do) but they dont seem to bother me. If I had a wish (this goes for any new MMO) I would want a game with a deeper character build mechanic.  I would love to go back to applying my OWN stat points where I want them.  

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778

Yeah such a joke that Blizzard is laughing their way to the bank every single day.

• VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501

If what you are asking is if the Pandaren and Pandaria feels like comedy, then no, they don't.

Sure, the Pandaren have a lighter side to them and are quite cheerful in nature, but on the other hand they have this group called the Shado-Pan which are downright scary (and kick some really serious ass), so neither the expansion nor the race are comedy at all.

It is mostly a tragedy actually. A beautiful land in a certain kind of balance is shattered to pieces when Alliance and Horde comes marching in and start fighting over it.. with horrifying consequences for all involved, but mostly for the poor Pandarens.

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

There are some awesome elements in MoP and others I like less.

The game is still extremely fun (in my opinion) and mixes tragic and comic elements like it always has.

The combat is still the same, but perhaps you are referring to the talent and glyph changes. These are indeed big changes and I am still not fully decided if I like them or dislike them. However, you still have global cooldowns, you still have rotations, etc. In that sense it is still the same ol' WoW as it always was.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• causscauss Member UncommonPosts: 666
    Originally posted by darkhalf357x

I tend to agree with this.  In general an MMO is a timesink (that should be fun) but is a timesink none the less.  I started WoW out of boredom in September and was surprised at how much fun it is.  I like the tab targeted combat model  (I dont like GW2)  I like that I can quest.  I can queue for Dungeons.  But the the real hook for me is the number of achievements.  I dont just have to play through the quests hub-to-hub-to-hub.  I can actually branch out and try my luck at something else.

I like the graphic aesthetic. I miss the whimsical cartoon look of RPGs from the SNES days. It does have it flaws (all games do) but they dont seem to bother me. If I had a wish (this goes for any new MMO) I would want a game with a deeper character build mechanic.  I would love to go back to applying my OWN stat points where I want them.  

So.. play Rift!

• SanguinelustSanguinelust Member UncommonPosts: 812
    I played for a couple of hours this weekend after they sent me a 10 day trial. I played the panda's and got bored after a bit. I doubt I'll upgrade and resub. I just think I'm completely bored with WoW at this point after playing it for years right from launch.
  • jagd1jagd1 Member Posts: 281
    Originally posted by Whitebeards

Yeah such a joke that Blizzard is laughing their way to the bank every single day.

This is why vivendi could not find a buyer for activision-blizzard shares  ( vivendi is looking to sell  them for long time ) ?  Does making money  remove grind from a game  ?  I dont see a relation with  showing making money to prove no grind  .

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by causs

So.. play Rift!

Rift doesnt have what hes asking for either.  Rift has variety, but not depth.

I think hes looking for the option of having a character thats a spell caster, but allocating str to allow him to wear heavier armor and weapons (at the expense of increasing his int instead).

Rift you are who your abilities say you are.  In a deeper game there is more to the story then that.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

People who claim panda's made it a 'joke' are quite a joke themselves for feeling that is the last 'straw'. Its a phobia where everything Asian makes them fear that they are taking over the industry and as such they should hate on it and throw all the insults possible, even if a majority of those stick to western games as well.

Either way, the joke comes in how it trivializes content you do within months. You log in to do dailies and raid. Patch comes up, your gear is useless, you log in dailieis and raid. Its a repetative task over and over where anything you 'achieve' is thrown out so quickly. Sure, nice if you like just playing casually but can be upsetting running an alt 2 patches later and having them caught up to a main you spent vastly more playtime on the same level getting them to where they are.

Combined with poor design choices from the talent system (Sorry, not a talent system, that was an insult to talent systems), to classes being stream lined and made quite simplitic to play, it just fails to deliver compared to many other titles out there today. if it was not for it having a playerbase built up during minimal competition, the game population would be vastly smaller and would be probably on par with many of its like competitors. 

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223
    Originally posted by strangiato2112
    Originally posted by causs

So.. play Rift!

Rift doesnt have what hes asking for either.  Rift has variety, but not depth.

I think hes looking for the option of having a character thats a spell caster, but allocating str to allow him to wear heavier armor and weapons (at the expense of increasing his int instead).

Rift you are who your abilities say you are.  In a deeper game there is more to the story then that.

The only games that have what he is asking for are sandboxes at the moment. EVE has no grind if you want to PvP in it or play the market. Something like A Tale in the Desert has no grind like in other games, or Minecraft.

However, most games do have a grind element, even sandboxes like Ryzome.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.