Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Marvel Heroes: Clicking with the Beta

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

The Marvel Heroes closed beta has been going on for some time now but the lid has been kept tightly sealed. Today, however, we blow the lid off and bring you our impressions of Marvel Heroes. See what we've got to say and then leave us your thoughts in the comments. 

I’ve had the pleasure of toying around with Marvel Heroes’ closed beta during the past week or so, and what I’ve found is a game that’s both addictive and a little rough around the edges.  It’s fun and aggravating, but mostly? Mostly, I just want to keep killing things with Deadpool because that’s what Marvel Heroes is all about. As Dave Brevik’s follow-up to Diablo 2, Marvel Heroes feels a lot like what Diablo 3 could have been if Blizzard had gone the route of the more MMO-like Action RPG. It’s beta, and small balance and tuning issues are to be expected.  But the idea of building an army of Marvel’s best and brightest is definitely an idea I’m fond of. I know folks wanted their own heroes in the Marvel Universe, but as an Action MMO, this setup works and I have to say it could keep me playing for a good while if Gazillion can manage to capture the essence of the characters.

Read more of Bill Murphy's and Garrett Fuller's Marvel Heroes: Clicking with the Beta.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    You keep bringing up Diablo as a comparison.  I suppose that means this is primarily if not completely isometric view and is more of a lobby based instance game than a persistant shared world?

• officialfiveofficialfive Member UncommonPosts: 55
    Why can't some American developers get things right. This game looks bad.
  • Darklotus79Darklotus79 Member Posts: 61
    We need a good action rpg mmo. I love the diablo style games ! I know POE is on its way but, I'm really looking forward to this.
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Looks pretty good ill give this a go thats for sure.. and i agree its not an MMO but it still looks fun :)

• IlayaIlaya Member UncommonPosts: 661
    Looks nice. Tbh, after closing COX, having DC as "shit" (most ones said so), there is some room for this!! I could like an Diablo-with-Superheroes. IF it is NOT like D3 ofc. I am soooo looking forward to get my hands on it. Have it on my "for sure" list for a long time. Keep up good work Gazillon and let us in Beta plz :)
  • question to garrett:  punisher is the character i am looking forward to playing and am wondering what kind of skills did he have and what kind of different costumes did you see for him?
  • KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921
    Originally posted by Ilaya
    Looks nice. Tbh, after closing COX, having DC as "shit" (most ones said so), there is some room for this!! I could like an Diablo-with-Superheroes. IF it is NOT like D3 ofc. I am soooo looking forward to get my hands on it. Have it on my "for sure" list for a long time. Keep up good work Gazillon and let us in Beta plz :)

DC isnt shit... also you should try it rather than going with what "Most ones said" especially on this site.

• SBE1SBE1 Member UncommonPosts: 340
    Meh.  I'm glad they keep comparing it to Diablo so you know what you are getting.  It's not so much an MMO as it is an action RPG.  I suppose for comic book nerds this is a good game. I don't see why anyone else would really get into it since you could just play, oh I don't know, Diablo.
  • NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    So basically it's Marvel Ultimate Alliance Online........

Steam: Neph

• barezzbarezz Member UncommonPosts: 147
    Originally posted by Kothoses

DC isnt shit... also you should try it rather than going with what "Most ones said" especially on this site.

I tried it, term seems to fit to me.

DC would be a fun PS3 action game though.

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

Oh yay, I can't wait to play as Iron Man clone #39381... /sarcasm

Oh, and Dave Brevik? Let's just say I agree with Jay Wilson's assessment of him and leave it at that.

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793
    How is this an MMO? Just sounds like an instanced onine action game with a non-instanced quest hub commons.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• bakabrödbakabröd Member Posts: 129
    this no mmo ok?
  • purewitzpurewitz Member UncommonPosts: 489

I'm going to try this game, because its Marvel. Although Diablo style games normal  break the left-click button on your mouse. Due to the fact 90% of the game is played by clickinng one button on your mouse.

When we get back from where we are going, we will return to where we were. I know people there!

• WalterWhiteWalterWhite Member UncommonPosts: 411
    Looks like a wasted use of a great licence.
  • BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

"the same tried and true Diablo-esque loot tables we’ve gotten used to.  Green is good, blue is better, purple is best"

That's not the tried and true Diablo-esque loot tables - that's the tried and true WoW-esque loot tables.

• IlayaIlaya Member UncommonPosts: 661
    Originally posted by Kothoses

I tried mate, and i found it...hmm...just not right, but not bad. I used the brackets just to give an example and as "not-so-much-liked" by "most of the playerbase". I dont talk about Comic/Superheroes "Fans". Thats on a different site of the paper. So, dont get me wrong ;)

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575
    Just cashing in on the mmo classification is what it sounds like. 
  • DenambrenDenambren Member UncommonPosts: 399

animations please

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    i stoped reading at " cash shop ".
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

Potential deal breakers:

1) Poor animations - these often don't get fixed in betas

2) Not a B2P game - I'm very leary about the cash shop.  Just let me buy the game with every single hero and have a cash shop for cosmetics.  Otherwise they'll nickle and dime you to spend a whole lot more if you want all the heroes.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Altough I am a Marvel fan this sounds like yet another single player game in an MMO clothing and I bet that there are lots of better action Marvel single player games I can pick up on PS 3. So pass for me on this one.

Hopefully a Marvel Universe MMO will be developed where you live in the Marvel universe rather than some ThemePark garbage.

• olalondeolalonde Member UncommonPosts: 10

LOL there is a NDA when playing closed beta, none of you know shit. this game is more of a persistant world action mmo than you think, only a few places are instance based and it's for the good reason that you don't want to share boss kills and loots with random retards like the people here claiming action mmos are all instance based this is false.

• olalondeolalonde Member UncommonPosts: 10
    Look at you claiming all action mmos arnt really mmos... thats the only thing that makes different from other action games, THE MMO PART, THE PERSISTANT WORLD PART.
  • therain93therain93 Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    So, Bill and Garrett, you both mention having to use teleporters to "go back" and level up heroes you left behind -- does this mean that there's basically one leveling path?