Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Raid 0 SSD questions

GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

Ive already got a SSD 256gb installed with OS, games and other programs installed.

Now i want to buy another SSD 256GB and put in raid 0 in bios can i do that while SSD in use with programs installed or do i need to format the one i already have first, then active both SSD in raid  0 bios with nothing installed or its no prblem when the one i already have is installed with programs?

Those it make any difference using different brands with raid 0 or it won't matter what brand it is?

Thx in advance.

Hope i explained it well enough, sorry for my bad english sentence.

Comments

• CodeFuzerCodeFuzer Member UncommonPosts: 105

you will need to format everything

questions is why you want to do this ? There will be no improvement that you can notice except if you are one of those guys who likes to run benchmarks and post numbers on forums....

one good SSD is all you need

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245
    Originally posted by CodeFuzer

you will need to format everything

questions is why you want to do this ? There will be no improvement that you can notice except if you are one of those guys who likes to run benchmarks and post numbers on forums....

one good SSD is all you need

Its not for improvement its size i need it when use steam for games, for me its handy i got plenty of (C:) room left 256gb is not much when i want most importend games installed on (C:).

And this topic is not for numbers or epeen eather im not one of them:)

• Hydros13Hydros13 Member Posts: 30

1.- You need to wipe all the information in order to use RAID-0 configuration.

2.- RAID-0 SSD Configuration provides no TRIM for your SSDs unless you have an Intel 7-Series Motherboard.

3.- It's preferable to use the same kind of SSD for this configuration.

Pretty much all you need to know, and also the difference between one SSD and RAID-0 setup in real life situations is just not worth it.

• biogermbiogerm Member UncommonPosts: 168

to top it, you will also shorten your 2nd ssd lifetime.

since you will be using both most of the time, insted of mostly one (the C: partition).

also you can point steam to what ever location on your machine you desire, i does not have to be c:

just saying. 

I 3930k -- Rampage IV Extreme -- G.skill RipjawsZ 32 GB -- Corsair Force Series 3 120gb -- G.skill Phoenix Pro 60gb -- WD 1 TB Black -- Corsair H 100 -- Thermaltake Level 10 Gt Snow Edition -- Corsair AX1200 -- Asus 560 Ti Sli -- Microsoft Sidewinder X4 -- Logitech G5 -- DELL UltraSharp 2007FP -- Samsung Syncmaster Sa700 -- Logitech Z2300 -- Logitech G35 -- Logitech G600 White -- coming soon : Dell U2711.

Ivybridge so should be np.

Ok i have OCZ vertex4 256gb so when i buy another SSD same type/size that should be ok for raid 0 right and then become one (C:) size 512gb?

Ok thx for help guys it seems raid 0 is useless then becouse dont wanne waste my SSD in short time if its in raid 0.

Wish i bought a 512gb instead then:(

I 3930k -- Rampage IV Extreme -- G.skill RipjawsZ 32 GB -- Corsair Force Series 3 120gb -- G.skill Phoenix Pro 60gb -- WD 1 TB Black -- Corsair H 100 -- Thermaltake Level 10 Gt Snow Edition -- Corsair AX1200 -- Asus 560 Ti Sli -- Microsoft Sidewinder X4 -- Logitech G5 -- DELL UltraSharp 2007FP -- Samsung Syncmaster Sa700 -- Logitech Z2300 -- Logitech G35 -- Logitech G600 White -- coming soon : Dell U2711.

but if its not for preformance, then there is no reason to do so, and even with it,  

Sure you increase your read and write speeds on the set up, but you're adding something in between the hdd (ssd), and your cpu which is a raid controller. Raid controllers add latencies which can slow down access between your ssd and your cpu.

and the 1.1 MB read is witha raid controller (that you will need if you want to get good resluts) so... yeah :

i hear you buddy. one of my ssd is 60gb lol so tiny...

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

The most important advice on putting SSDs in RAID 0 is pretty simple:  don't.

If you need more storage capacity, then go ahead and get another SSD, but use it as a separate drive, not in RAID 0.

If you really, really want to go with SSDs in RAID 0, then make sure you get two that are exactly identical with a recent controller that offers consistently fast access times (Samsung 840 Pro, Corsair Neutron, OCZ Vector) and leave about 1/4 of the capacity as spare area unavailable to you.

• SuprGamerXSuprGamerX Member Posts: 531
    Originally posted by GroovyFlower

Ive already got a SSD 256gb installed with OS, games and other programs installed.

Now i want to buy another SSD 256GB and put in raid 0 in bios can i do that while SSD in use with programs installed or do i need to format the one i already have first, then active both SSD in raid  0 bios with nothing installed or its no prblem when the one i already have is installed with programs?

Those it make any difference using different brands with raid 0 or it won't matter what brand it is?

Thx in advance.

Hope i explained it well enough, sorry for my bad english sentence.

When ever you're adding a SSD to a existing raid 0 , you need to format.  Well to be more exact it will do it for you.   And for the brands , it doesn't matter , but it's VERY advisable to use  disks with the same ammount of read/write speed.  And besides with the price of some OCZ vertex 4 under 90$ per 128gb , I grabbed 4 back in october and shoved them all together in raid 0 , and WOW!! hehe :)

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

http://www.ghacks.net/2010/09/03/steam-mover-automated-tool-to-move-games-and-apps-to-other-drives/

Don't RAID - just install the second SSD as another drive.

No formatting required, easy to do, and don't have to worry about getting an identical second drive.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    I think the cons of RAID 0 outweigh the pros.  If you're just doing it for more drive space then install a second standalone drive.  RAID 0 just creates multiple points of failure.  Is your data easily replaceable?

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• ZezdaZezda Member UncommonPosts: 686

This isn't to do specifically with your RAID 0 option but it will be worth having a read over of this article here as well while you are on the subject of increasing capacity. (I assume you were wanting RAID 0 for better performance?)

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6489/playing-with-op