Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A fellow player burnt out on WOW & and I would say even the mmorpg Genre with a question.

2»

Comments

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362

I love GW2. For me it's not the same as every other fantasy mmo as in I don't find myself getting a laundry list of quests to run out and do to only run back to turn in. I also love being able to do my auctioning, and mail from anywhere. For me GW2 is amazing!

If you're burned out on the whole fantasy mmo thing, then I think you should try The Secret World also. It's a great modern day setting. Did you ever like the X-Files? If so you might like TSW...

• DoomtecDoomtec Member Posts: 32
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by Siveria
    I'll be honest, gw2 is just another dead ended linear quest driven game just like wow is, they just did it a bit diffrently. Its been like 10 years since a mmo with real endgame has been released. Endgame=raiding and the game has stuff to do other than raiding or farming that you can use the gear for (Daoc: rvr land control, eq2 mentoring and doing dungeons u skipped for AA exp, or pvp, or a myrad of other things)

Then you haven't played the game if you think it is linear. The only part that is linear is the PS - that is it. You can go whereever you like.

End game is not raiding and you can help people throught GW2 - you do scale down to the area.

At first this seemed like a good idea, and then the reality of the mechanic sets in. You're in a zone, trying to complete an objective, and it's just flat-out too damn hard. Nowmally I would wait a few levels and come back and try it again, but in this game...it doesn't matter. you will be nerfed down to where it is still too damn hard.

And let's face it...difficulty is all outta whack in GW2. You're either slicing through mobs 2 levels higher with the greatest of ease, or getting wtfpwned by 2 mobs a level lower than you.

And what do you get for your troubles? Another trash item, and one less thing to do in that zone's little list of things to do.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

GW2 is different to most mmos in the following ways:

- Combat in GW2 is more akin to an action RPG than a MMO.

- Once you hit max level it is very easy to obtain a max power set of gear. After that you just grind for appearance.

- There is no trinity to use as a clutch. Everyone is responsible for themselves staying alive and helping the team stay alive. No free rides in this game.

Most of the negative nancies on here don't like one of the above points. If you don't like the above points it probably isn't the game for you either. As others have pointed out, if you want a more traditional MMO, you should go for TSW, which I play on the side because my partner doesn't like playing anything other than a healer, which isn't available in GW2.

If you wan't something different from the usual MMO offerings, give GW2 a try, at the very least I am sure you will get your moneys worth by doing the story and some PvP.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Reion1
    Hi. My name is Chase and it has occured to me that I am completely burned out on MMORPGS. Ive been playing MOP since release and it sickens me to log on and raid through the content. I don't know if it's the mechanics or if I have simply had enough of the game. I haven't really been following GW2 all that much but I did read that for the dungeon system there is no trinity, and that the game itself is the "end-game." I have a few questions that may or may not have been answered, so if they have I am truely sorry and will use the search feature more often.Could someone tell me how does that make sense?As far as dungeons go if I ever get the urge to run one how many are there currently?I know GW2 is about PVP. How balanced is this game and who currently has the upper class on all the others?I know that I can jump into PVP almost automatically but is it worth my time to reach cap and PVP that way?Updates, How far in between do they update the game. It seems to me that every time I find myself on mmorpg there's a column on a new update or a new event, but could that be just the holiday season or is that how AN does things/Most importantly, as an ex WOW player who is burnt out on raiding and making raid times and putting together groups will GW2 offer me something to negate that feeling? Is it even worth my time? I know it's B2P and I have no problem shelling out the loot I would just like a response from seasoned players. Thanks in advance.

Take the 14 day eve trial...expand your mind.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779
    I love the repetitive arguments folks toss out. Every single MMO or video is repetitive. You just choose which one you like most for the duration.
    MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • pedrostrikpedrostrik Member UncommonPosts: 396
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by Reion1

Most importantly, as an ex WOW player who is burnt out on raiding and making raid times and putting together groups will GW2 offer me something to negate that feeling? Is it even worth my time? I know it's B2P and I have no problem shelling out the loot I would just like a response from seasoned players. Thanks in advance.

As a former raider myself, this is one of the places GW2 missed the mark. Most raiders raid for the competition. Competition on that level does not exist in GW2. 

Have you ever tried WxWxW with voice ip and with a group of 10 or more guild people? do it and believe me its quite fun and you and your team will have a blast.

anyway GW2 its not a game as WoW, you'll enjoy the game features a lot, something as simple as combat- first noob impressiom --> bah im L30 and i have all the skills i need ! Wrong in fact you 'll need all levels to make your playing build with all feats and all skills available for your build, gear doenst matter so much in WxWxW but still matters on dungeons, world PvE its quite easy and they nerfed some world bosses (i think) as Jormag or templer meta bosses (Orr),

The instances are nice to made 3 or 5 times by caracter with story path leveled and 3 explorable L80 paths, 

they add HotFractals with 7 diferent scenarios with increasing difficulty...new instance

I avoid instances as more as possible , i like WxWxW or normal meta world events much more.

You have story mode which i find cheesy after 1st time done.

No trinity

Add dodging from L1 (important skill)

CC are not OP as in other games

Not so much RNG (randon number generator on skills or craft)

Craft its very easy to level and you can do your own max stats gear with craft

almost 99% moving while casting skills available

You need to face your target to hit (50% of the skills feezle and auto cooldown ~2.5secs

You have vistas; skill points; PofInterst, Waypoints and Hearts quests on almost Maps, (pvp maps and Orr maps doesn't have hearts quests)

• ezpz77ezpz77 Member Posts: 227
    If you're burned out on MMO's then you should probably take a break from them. If you're sick of themepark mechanics, playing another one isn't going to do the trick.
  • SSJGotenx268SSJGotenx268 Member Posts: 63
    Originally posted by Siveria
    Originally posted by sanshi44
    If your looking for a game that is completly different than what your use to i suggest a game like darkfall, it might be worth taking a look into it if you realy wanna try somthing different. (one thing to note there a smaller company so you will see delays on patches and all that, game is currently set to release in janurary and beta on the coming monday for those who preorder the game.

Id stay far away from darkfall uw, its going to fail just like most gank/grief based mmo's, make a server where you cannot get looted on your char dying and the game will survive, but as it is, I doubt it'll last 3 months.

That's how the game is designed, big daddy. People play it because of that feature.