Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does it bother you if a non-native person joins your server?

Comments

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    I don't mind it if the person plays legit. What I don't like is when the portal is open to massive gold framing etc...  which mostly comes from china / korea etc.
  • MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

I don't mind at all.

People are people. I tend to like most people :)

When I don't, it's never because of nationality or language.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by CalmOceans

When a non-native person  (like me I guess) joins an English server, some people tend to get annoyed and frustrated,

-Is it because of that person's place of origin? Do you feel they won't be able to relate because of cultural differences?

-Is it because their English is often so bad that there's a real communication barrier?

-Is it because they write in their own language at times?

Like you I'm a 'non-native' (odd, because all non-Dutch are non-natives for me :D) and I think everyone is allowed to join ENGLISH servers. But... They should be (able to be) speaking English in general (/global /world /map) chat, or at least make themselfs understandible. In my book is it a real NO-GO if they speak their native language in general chat (Rusian & Greek players do that very often), and I blockk them all (even Dutch-speakers - my blocklist is always very full).

I also had a Skandinavian player of around 14 once in our clan who did 'speak' English, but he wrote everything phonetic . It was an annoyance at first, but when I got used to it, I was able to follow him without any problem. It was actually quite funny to read how he wrote it ;-)

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by Sinella
    Originally posted by asmkm22
    If they can't communicate with me, it's their loss.  They can go play a game in the correct region for their language.  When I go to Mexico, I speak Spanish.  When I went to Germany, I spoke German.  I expect people to speak English when playing in such an evironment.

It' s very often not possible. My native language is not spoken by enough players to warrant a dedicated server, and there are a lot of languages like that. We have no other choice than to join an English speaking server, and the ones who don't speak English naturally try to communicate on their own languages. And since gaming companies can't give every languages their own server still they want these players to play there are usually no restrictions for native language usage on international servers.

Then learn and use the English language, which it sounds like you know, or play the games that do cater to your locality.  Pretty much any time you feel the need to chat in your own language, it's probably better to do it through whispers anyway.  Same thing about people talking about random crap with each other, where no one else cares.

You make me like charity

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    If they can't communicate with me, it's their loss.  They can go play a game in the correct region for their language.  When I go to Mexico, I speak Spanish.  When I went to Germany, I spoke German.  I expect people to speak English when playing in such an evironment.

It' s very often not possible. My native language is not spoken by enough players to warrant a dedicated server, and there are a lot of languages like that. We have no other choice than to join an English speaking server, and the ones who don't speak English naturally try to communicate on their own languages. And since gaming companies can't give every languages their own server still they want these players to play there are usually no restrictions for native language usage on international servers.

Then learn and use the English language, which it sounds like you know, or play the games that do cater to your locality.  Pretty much any time you feel the need to chat in your own language, it's probably better to do it through whispers anyway.  Same thing about people talking about random crap with each other, where no one else cares.

Depending on what someone's native language is, there might not be any games that cater to it.  Once I was trying to help someone out who was having trouble running a game and got him to post his DxDiag file, and the language he was using was something that I had never heard of.  I looked it up and found that it's only spoken by something like 70,000 people worldwide.

In that case, if you want to play online games, the thing to do is to learn some other, more common language (and Sinella seems to know English, as did the other person I referred to) and play games that other language.

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059

I will admit that it seems strange for a player that doesn’t speak or more appropriately read and  write any English to be playing on an English language based game server in that they will never be able to be a part of things in the community or truly understand what is going on. Thats a problem for us and them. Otherwise, no I am not bothered and frankly I am welcoming. Some of my favorite MMORPG memories come from playing on multinational servers with people from all over the world. 

• therealeasytherealeasy Member Posts: 36

-

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

I have no problems at all with 'non-natives' joining the server I play on.  One of my servers in WoW had a high Brazilian population.  A lot of people on my server use to complain about the BRs, but really, they were the exact same skill-wise as everybody else.  They had the same humor, the same nerdy habits, and the same competence level.  I was in a Brazilian guild for a short amount of time just for fun and many of them spoke english to me.

The only times when I got annoyed with 'non-natives' is when they start saying things like 'F**k America', 'Fat, white americans', ect.  But even in those cases its just one loud troll who is sparked by other loud trolls, but in this case from a different country.

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107

In an MMO I don't normally care. They typically know english well enough, or because the game world is massive I can find someone else anyway.

I know not an MMO, but in LoL it can be frustrating. There are servers for them and they still join NA and refuse to communicate as they don't know english. The game is quite dependant on communication so it can pretty well much kill a game in many instances. I still wouldn't say they are a major cause of losses for me, as even english speaking people don't seem to want to communicate sometimes either. It's just annoying because its yet another reason you are probably going to lose.

• SinellaSinella Member UncommonPosts: 343

Personally I do speak English, but 80% of the population in my country don't, especially children/teenagers. Learning a foreign language is not easy, it requires lot of money and some years. There is no one single MMORPG which caters to my locality. Even Perpetuum Online, which was developed in my country has no Hungarian speaking server as far as I know.

On the other hand, how is it defined if a server is English-speaking ? Let's just say that international servers are not dedicated to any languages, everyone can use the one she prefers. Many games has only one server, it wouldn't be fare to restrict it English only.

And don't get me wrong, I love speaking English in games. I try to avoid using  my native language since there is no better way to practice a foreign language than using an MMO for that. Free English lessons while having fun in a game yay :)

• Inf666Inf666 Member UncommonPosts: 513

If he does not lag and drops good loot I do not really care where he logs in from :)

That aside: I do not mind at all if the player is well mannered. At the same time if he chooses to behave like a troll on steroids his language or nationality doesn't matter, he will not be liked.

Especially on european servers it is not common to condemn someone because of his language/nationality. There are certain exceptions though: Try speaking german on a british or french server. The result is not nice.

---
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

Personally I do speak English, but 80% of the population in my country don't, especially children/teenagers. Learning a foreign language is not easy, it requires lot of money and some years. There is no one single MMORPG which caters to my locality. Even Perpetuum Online, which was developed in my country has no Hungarian speaking server as far as I know.

On the other hand, how is it defined if a server is English-speaking ? Let's just say that international servers are not dedicated to any languages, everyone can use the one she prefers. Many games has only one server, it wouldn't be fare to restrict it English only.

And don't get me wrong, I love speaking English in games. I try to avoid using  my native language since there is no better way to practice a foreign language than using an MMO for that. Free English lessons while having fun in a game yay :)

Generally speaking, the problem comes up the most on American servers.  While it's true that most games may not have, say, a Hungarian server, they do support EU-based servers, which tend to be a lot more forgiven and accustomed to various languages than the American counterparts.  In such a situation, it's not something I'd be overly concerned about as a player.

My personal experiences have always involved players from South American countries logging into American servers, despite having regional servers available.  These are the situations that bug the crap out of me because they speak English just fine; they just choose not to.

You make me like charity

• VenomaniaVenomania Member Posts: 40
    I really like seeing none English chatter in General in MMO's. To me, it gives the game a greater sense of it being a bigger community. If they're not typing in English they're clearly not talking to me, so as long as when they're talking to me it is in English everything is fine. I've always felt like this dislike of Languages people don't understand is some miss placed fear people are talking about them, or a need to know what everyone is saying! Like old wives reading those trashy pop magazines to know what every Celebs personal life is like. *sigh* I've none of those feelings. While it does become a hassle in say, a group party where I join and everyone else is speaking a Language I don't know. Most of the time when that happens they're all friends and can do the instance with or without me, thus me not being able to communicate isnt much of an issue. Other than that it's no different than say, NPC chater, that I pretty much blank out when I see also. 
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

I could care less what your native language/culture is.

The more the merrier as far as I'm concerned. I don't have a problem with it just because someone doesn't speak english, or has trouble with the language. In fact, the less the game forces me to communicate (while still being challenging for the party), the more fun I usually have.

Then again, I hate Vent/Mumble/TS/whatever... and I do type/chat to people, so it's not like I'm a mute, but a lot of times it just comes down to me and some other person communicating via emotes and broken speech and whatever else is in game to communicate with - which is fun in it's own right. Even if it's held me up from some artificial in-game objective, the new real objective of figuring out what we are doing has replaced it and become more fun in the first place.

• ObiClownobiObiClownobi Member Posts: 186
    Yes it bothers me immensely when on an English server half the chat is stuff like LRN 2 PLY NOOB, I wish these people would learn to speak English instead of their cretinous foreign lingo.

"It's a sandbox, if you are not willing to create a castle then all you have is sand" - jtcgs

• RaskbuckRaskbuck Member UncommonPosts: 14

As a non-native speaker, I'm glad to see a big share of you don't mind the presence of international players. From my personal point of view, having a big variety of people from different places allows us to learn from other cultures, which is always nice. My best gaming experiences are thanks to it; forming a group of like-minded individuals, despite their origin, trying to achieve the same goal... I believe that's the beauty of MMOs and Online Games in general.

Of course, there are bad apples everywhere. From people that pester you constantly in a foreign language to players that simply refuse to interact with non-native speakers. In the end, jerks will be jerks, no matter where they come from.

• NesrieNesrie Member Posts: 648

When a non-native person  (like me I guess) joins an English server, some people tend to get annoyed and frustrated,

-Is it because of that person's place of origin? Do you feel they won't be able to relate because of cultural differences?

-Is it because their English is often so bad that there's a real communication barrier?

No. It does not bother me at all. If they don't experience any server issues, I think it is perfectly fine. It can be a little frustrating when different languages are being exchanged and you cannot read them. This is minor though, and having a diverse server outweights language barriers.

parrotpholk-Because we all know the miracle patch fairy shows up the night before release and sprinkles magic dust on the server to make it allllll better.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    I don't mind at all. As long as they can speak basic English, it's all good.  However, I can understand it if someone comes to an English server and doesn't speak any English. Last time I checked there were only French, German, English and maybe Italian/Spanish servers. If you don't speak any of these languages, what then? You roll on an English server and that's perfectly fine.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• tupodawg999tupodawg999 Member UncommonPosts: 724

Personally i don't get annoyed. I'm not sure why some people do. I sometimes think it's because they see it as *breaking the rules* or something like that.

I get really annoyed at the people who complain about it. If there are only English, French and German language servers then what are people who speak other languages supposed to do?

The swtor servers have this stupid argument every 20 minutes or so.

I wish games would say "English-preferred" or something like that instead so people would shut up about it. If someone is using a language you don't understand then just put them on ignore. If everyone does that then you can have an infinite language server.

edit: or have "international" servers with no fixed language

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

As long as they can speak the official server language well enough then it is fine. A server community needs people to speak the same language, it is that simple.

There are many MMO's in Korea, they do not have English servers, I do not play on them expecting people to understand me and go out of their way to try to help me understand the game.

So what people who do not understand the server language are expected to do is not play the game. I don't want to put players on ignore, I want them to be able to fully take part in the game. I don't expect players to be masters of English, there are a lot of players from English speaking nations who are not that. You need a reasonable standard of the server language to play a MMO, unless you are roleplaying that is not a very high level.

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

The only times it bothers me is when the french or the germans join english servers when there are plenty of french and german servers to go around....if they have servers in their own language why on earth are they joining the english ones AND then refuse the talk english....that bothers the living sh** out of me.

I am from belgium myself and i would love to see dutch servers also....but since my french and my german is both soo bad i join an english one and i speak english there....it makes communicating alot more easy.

For the record: i have nothing against the french or the german but both of them are known in europe as people who just refuse to learn another language (not all of them offcource). when i visit france (i just adore the country and the people there) i try to talk as much french as i can. They should all at least TRY to type english imho or go to their own servers. But that is just mho.

I dont mind people spelling things wrong ingame, as long as i can understand what they are trying to say that is ok for me.

• EnerzealEnerzeal Member Posts: 326

Just don't force it down my throat as a requirement, then I am fine, I really don't care what language you speak or what language you type in.

The internet is a country now, the best country.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

On GW2 I joined Far Shiverpeaks knowing it would be a mix of North-Germanic, Germanic and Slavic tribes which I enjoy. Though by now the Slavic  tribes left.

Only thing I dislike is that Anet put us up against >European< servers, which were in fact heavily populated by Canadians.

So every night they would conquer all bases while we were sleeping.  But that's a fuck up made by Anet and not really about culture.

Harbinger of Fools
  • MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

Huh this never occurred to me as an issue.

An unconsidered benefit of the single-server model, I guess.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178
    Originally posted by Sytek_88
    only thing that bugs me is when they speak a foriegn language on a NA server in general chat

You have to take into consideration though that French is not a foriegn language for a NA server :P