Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SERIOUS HELP needed, info below.

13»

Comments

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    Originally posted by jdnewell
    Originally posted by Chrisbox
    Originally posted by GroovyFlower

When computer crashes regualry it can be your bios and chipset drivers are outdated, it helps when you realy have latests bios and MB driver updates this can be one of issues you have with crashing.

I've updated the BIOS, and tried two mobo's.  The chance that they are both causing this problem seems highly unlikely to me unless theres some other factor involved. 

Is there thermal paste on the cpu? between fan and cpu?

Thats the 1st thing I would check

Theres goo like blue stuff on the cpu and in between fan thing/cpu. This is the thermal paste correct?

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• Lille7Lille7 Member Posts: 301

Im not sure on the exact model of your graphics card, but it's not uncommon for factory overclocked cards to be unstable. It's got nothing to do with temps its about the graphics cards power supply (not the power supply in your case, but the power regulators on the card itself). If you don't want to underclock your card you can try increasing the voltages for the card. I'd recommend using MSI Afterburner, works with all cards, it will also let you set a custom fan profile for your card.

For the processor you can try and change power settings in windows, put it on Performance instead of Balanced or Power Saving and see if the CPU clocks stabilize. If they don't I would recommend you try another CPU and see if that solves the problem.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by asmkm22

Also, you mentioned replacing the mobo, but that's kind of a non-trivial part ot replace.  Care to elaborate?

I have alot of family that are tech savvy, they didnt seem to run into any trouble taking it out and what not.  But alas, no results. 

You didn't really elaborate though... did you replace the mobo with the same kind?  did you just take it out and put it back in?  did you put an entirely different one in?  why in the world would you swap a mobo out before trying to swap a cpu out?

Do you have many USB devices plugged in while you play and, if so, have you tried to reproduce the problem without anything other than a mouse and keyboard in use?  How many case fans do you have, and what direction is the airflow for each one and where are those three located?

The mobo that i put in to trouble shoot was a GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD3-B3 LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel mobo.  I do not own a 2nd cpu to use for troubleshooting purposes, with the direction this issue is taking there is a high probability that it will change.  I use a razer naga epic, and anasi keyboard USB's, other than the two top fans that plug into USB ports those are the only things that are plugged in.  I will try without the two fans plugged it, however I did not see that being something I should do when i saw my temperatures were very high.   

That is not what I said to do...  Honestly, this is starting to sound like a classic example of having a loose nut on the keyboard.  It's like when someone who has no clue about how computers work starts talking about registry changes they've made to troubleshoot a problem.

User-interface error.  Look into it.

You make me like charity

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Originally posted by GroovyFlower When computer crashes regualry it can be your bios and chipset drivers are outdated, it helps when you realy have latests bios and MB driver updates this can be one of issues you have with crashing.
    I've updated the BIOS, and tried two mobo's.  The chance that they are both causing this problem seems highly unlikely to me unless theres some other factor involved. 
    Is there thermal paste on the cpu? between fan and cpu? Thats the 1st thing I would check
    Theres goo like blue stuff on the cpu and in between fan thing/cpu. This is the thermal paste correct?

Amy time you pull the heatsink off - you have to clean off the old stuff and use new stuff.

So the fact that you checked it and saw that it's blue - you need to clean all that stuff off and put on new stuff.

Leave the CPU in the socket on the motherboard (keeps the pins safe on the backside), and clean the old stuff off as best you can - make sure not to get any up under the heat shield (the piece of metal on top of the CPU that says Intel), and really make sure not to get any on the motherboard. Use a bit of rubbing alcohol to help clean it if need be. It needs to be perfectly clean. Same with the bottom of the heatsink.

Get some new thermal compound - it's usually white or silvery colored, but can be other colors. If you buy new compound, it comes in a little syringe or blister pack, and that little bit is enough to do probably 10 CPU's. It usually has the consistency of toothpaste. A very very small amount is all you need - just enough to barely cover the top of the CPU heat shield with a very very thin layer (think butter on toast, not pb&j) - again being very careful not to get any on the motherboard or down in the socket. A small drop and then smear it around the top with a tissue, Qtip or your fingertip. Then put the heatsink back on top, twist it just a bit to make sure the thermal compound makes good contact all over, and re-lock it down.

Also, you mentioned replacing the mobo, but that's kind of a non-trivial part ot replace.  Care to elaborate?

I have alot of family that are tech savvy, they didnt seem to run into any trouble taking it out and what not.  But alas, no results. 

You didn't really elaborate though... did you replace the mobo with the same kind?  did you just take it out and put it back in?  did you put an entirely different one in?  why in the world would you swap a mobo out before trying to swap a cpu out?

Do you have many USB devices plugged in while you play and, if so, have you tried to reproduce the problem without anything other than a mouse and keyboard in use?  How many case fans do you have, and what direction is the airflow for each one and where are those three located?

The mobo that i put in to trouble shoot was a GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD3-B3 LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel mobo.  I do not own a 2nd cpu to use for troubleshooting purposes, with the direction this issue is taking there is a high probability that it will change.  I use a razer naga epic, and anasi keyboard USB's, other than the two top fans that plug into USB ports those are the only things that are plugged in.  I will try without the two fans plugged it, however I did not see that being something I should do when i saw my temperatures were very high.   

That is not what I said to do...  Honestly, this is starting to sound like a classic example of having a loose nut on the keyboard.  It's like when someone who has no clue about how computers work starts talking about registry changes they've made to troubleshoot a problem.

"Have you tried to reproduce the problem without anything other than a mouse or keyboard in use" = Unplug every other USB port thats in use except keyboard and mouse. But thanks for the paragraph of nothing, im sure it'll come in handy.   Also it doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out that someone who makes a thread such as mine obviously lacks advanced knowledge of all this ****.

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

Originally posted by Ridelynn

Originally posted by GroovyFlower When computer crashes regualry it can be your bios and chipset drivers are outdated, it helps when you realy have latests bios and MB driver updates this can be one of issues you have with crashing.
    Is there thermal paste on the cpu? between fan and cpu? Thats the 1st thing I would check

Amy time you pull the heatsink off - you have to clean off the old stuff and use new stuff.

So the fact that you checked it and saw that it's blue - you need to clean all that stuff off and put on new stuff.

Leave the CPU in the socket on the motherboard (keeps the pins safe on the backside), and clean the old stuff off as best you can - make sure not to get any up under the heat shield (the piece of metal on top of the CPU that says Intel), and really make sure not to get any on the motherboard. Use a bit of rubbing alcohol to help clean it if need be. It needs to be perfectly clean. Same with the bottom of the heatsink.

Get some new thermal compound - it's usually white or silvery colored, but can be other colors. If you buy new compound, it comes in a little syringe or blister pack, and that little bit is enough to do probably 10 CPU's. It usually has the consistency of toothpaste. A very very small amount is all you need - just enough to barely cover the top of the CPU heat shield with a very very thin layer (think butter on toast, not pb&j) - again being very careful not to get any on the motherboard or down in the socket. A small drop and then smear it around the top with a tissue, Qtip or your fingertip. Then put the heatsink back on top, twist it just a bit to make sure the thermal compound makes good contact all over, and re-lock it down.

I have other thermal compound that I already applied everythings all back in place but that didnt really fix anything other than confirming it had thermal compound. 

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

"Have you tried to reproduce the problem without anything other than a mouse or keyboard in use" = Unplug every other USB port thats in use except keyboard and mouse. But thanks for the paragraph of nothing, im sure it'll come in handy.   Also it doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out that someone who makes a thread such as mine obviously lacks advanced knowledge of all this ****.

So you're telling me your case fans are plugged in by USB?

You make me like charity

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

USB case fans do exist - I can't really think of a good reason for them to though. Or why a computer would have one - they cost about 5x more than a regular fan, and push about half as much air, and the inside of any case is going to have more than enough connections (either via motherboard header or molex from power supply) to run a few fans without needing to tie up USB ports (which are ~outside~ the case).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106140

More than likely, I think we have a case of "Should put down the screwdriver and call Geek Squad"