Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best MMORPG you've ever played

Comments

• DarkagesDarkages Member UncommonPosts: 96

EQ1

I will never forget killing the "unkillable" Sleeper Dragon on Rallos Zek. In fact we had to kill it twice because a GM came online and said we must be cheating to kill him, and had the Sleeper reset so he could watch how we were killing him and make sure we were not hacking in some way.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Of the older MMOs, UO and EQ1 top my list.

Since then, most seem to be overly commercial.

The most fun I've had in the last few years with an MMO would be with Mortal Online.  Kind of a throwback, but it does provide a type of gameplay that's vanished from the MMO space.

For modern themeparks, I think TSW is one of the better ones.  STO is also pretty strong, especially since they've started departing from the instant gratification mentality that most games seem locked into.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

Have to go with EQ1, it's one of the very few MMO's I ended up playing for several years, and I still occasionally login today to get a group going if i'm not in the mood to play anything else.

Dark age of camelot had the best PvP i've played pre-Atlantis.

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517
    Originally posted by Crazy_Stick

1) Pure PVE Play (Questing, Dungeons, Story) - The Secret World.

2) Hybrid Play (Exploration, PVP, Crafting) - EVE Online.

3) Pure PVP Play  - League of Legends.

While the mentioned games include other features, that's what I love them for.

Last I knew LoL is not an MMORPG.

I would say UO PreEA. Then DAOC when it was populated. Current game form I would say Eve then EQ2.

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

1. DAoC (ToA ruined it)

2. DDO (the sudden and recent focus on raiding/ "end game" ruined it)

3. Rift (I'm not sold on SL. The classes have taken a major nerf, and there is not much variety anymore) 

4. EQ (balancing group content off raid gear ruined it)

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    I would say my all time favorite was Planetside 1.  Neocron will also always have that special place in my heart since it was my first :)   SWG would have been my favorite if they didn't have the hologrind and if it wasn't so bug ridden.  Oh and if a dude with a blackjack couldn't take me out when I was shoving my carbine up his arse.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• Maxima1979Maxima1979 Member Posts: 12

LOTRO is the best MMO for me.

It has everything that I look for in an MMO.

1.Community: LOTRO has the best community of any MMO I have been a part of. 

2.The World: Its still one of the best looking worlds in MMO's.  Yes some have issues with the character models, I personally dont.

3.The Story it makes the game come to life, and they have done a great job telling the story so far.

It also has a the small things that made a great mmo...Open world, active towns, day/night cycles, rain/snow showers, they continue to improve the game like with ROR open tagging system, improved looting system, mounted combat.  For those who said PVMP was dead with ROR check out this link.  http://casualstrolltomordor.com/2012/12/huge-multi-raid-battle-in-the-ettenmoors/

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059
    Originally posted by Yizle

I would say UO PreEA. Then DAOC when it was populated. Current game form I would say Eve then EQ2.

Sure, its a  free-to-play RPG / strategy MOBA and of arguable inclusion but... I stand by it. 

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,106
    Originally posted by Yizle

Sure, its a  free-to-play RPG / strategy MOBA and of arguable inclusion but... I stand by it. 

By definition you are wrong. LoL is not an MMO. RIOT will also tell you this. But what does the developer know?

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
       thats easy....................UO   
  • fascismfascism Member UncommonPosts: 428
    Dofus
  • madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,106
    Originally posted by fascism
    Dofus

Have you tried Wakfu? If so, what makes you choose Dofus over it? Genuine question. I have played Wakfu but not Dofus and am told they are very alike (for obvious reasons).

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

EvE Online wins this one easily.

The FFA-PvP is sure not the cup of everyone, and the PvE isn't the best at all. However, in combination with it's crafting and economy the full package has to be taken into account, and no other MMORPG has come close to this so far.

It's the only MMORPG to date that has managed to mix up FFA-PvP, PvE and a real working economy, and allthough it doesn't have millions of subscribers, it's very succesful and manages to keep it's playerbase on very healthy levels.

• hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604
    I will probably be the only one to say this, but Runescape in it's prime.  
  • yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973
    EvE Online. Work made me leave this game, sadly.
  • GraeyGraey Member UncommonPosts: 281
    I would have to say for me it was Final Fantasy 11. I loved the monk class, the grouping, camping, language barrier, music and the fact it was my first true MMO. Next up would have to be Vanguard...only because it was a diamond in the ruff and if it was actually redone from scratch I'd be there in a heart beat. Next would be Rift...Trion...enough said really. Wow would have to be after that because of the Guild: Dragon Masters raveen was a great leader and I actually felt like the guild connected you know.
  • maib69maib69 Member Posts: 8

1, Legend of Mir

2, Myth of Soma

3, World of warcraft (when it was good) 

• blackthornnblackthornn Member UncommonPosts: 615

the only one to keep my interest and money for over a year straight was EQ.  I actually kind of miss corpse runs, raids that took more than 25 people (and doing them without having to wear a f**king headset), falling to my death off Kelethin, etc.

No  game since has EVER been able to keep me interested for more than at most 6 months per stretch of playing.

Grouping in Old school mmo's: meeting someone at the bar and chatting, getting to know them before jumping into bed.  Current mmo's grouping: tinder.  swipe, hookup, hope you don't get herpes, never see them again.
  • ezpz77ezpz77 Member Posts: 227
    Originally posted by blackthornn

the only one to keep my interest and money for over a year straight was EQ.  I actually kind of miss corpse runs, raids that took more than 25 people (and doing them without having to wear a f**king headset), falling to my death off Kelethin, etc.

No  game since has EVER been able to keep me interested for more than at most 6 months per stretch of playing.

Out of curiosity do you think that the problem may be you, or do you think that all MMO's just suck now?

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

played EVE almost 5 years without break since 2005.stoped when most  my in game friends & corp mates leave game,I was loonely & lost with new peoples around.

Once on year I resub just to seen what is new.

• PrenhoPrenho Member Posts: 298
    Lineage 1 one of the few real MMOS that still exist.
  • Sugoi-chanSugoi-chan Member UncommonPosts: 15

My favorite MMO was City of Heroes/Villains.  It was my first MMO, and I chose to look into it since it took place in a reality of one of my favorite hobbies, comic books.  None of the other Super-Hero style games released since then have come close to matching it.

I stayed with the game from the last Beta test thru the recent server shutdown, and I went out on my main character, casting buffs and heals to keep my team and those nearby on their feet and battling evil til the very end.

Details on what I liked about the game:

1) Costuming... No one looked like any other character in the game except thru sheer coincidence, well-known character clones, or deliberate intent to copy a given outfit.

2) Power selections:  No other game offered the sheer number of different power combos and optional powers or enhancements that existed in the game.  You could have similar Archetypes with identical Powerset selections, but fine-tuning the sets would result in entirely different performance abilities.

3) The Players:  What can I say other than some of the best MMO players I've ever gamed with were in this game.  If a new player had a question, they could ask their teammates or broadcast, and they would usually get helpful responses within moments after their request aired.  Many total strangers' characters would offer my lowbie characters Influence to assist in getting the enhances I needed to boost my powers to a useable status.  

And I had done the same to others while playing my higher level characters, passing on Influence to teammates who had excelled in assisting the team, and when they asked how they could pay me back, I'd just say "Pass it on when you have enough and run with a deserving sidekick."

4) In-Game Difficulty selection: Want a good battle, crank it up!  Want to have some fun running missions with a solo healer?  Turn it down (if needed) to get the job done.

5) Teaming up:  None of the other MMOs I've tried offered the simplicity of the LFT options in CoH.  It was usually very simple to quickly put a team together, and the "Holy Trinity" was not needed in most cases.  Besides, in the last few years of the game, the Devs made it possible for any level player to team up with a group any any level and become a useful part of the team thru temporary levels being raised or lowered to fit the team leader / mission's setting.

RIP CoH, You are missed by many...

• mad-hattermad-hatter Member UncommonPosts: 241
    DAOC UO and SWG, can't decide which is better honestly, I spent so many years playing these titles, and even with all the bad things about them, they can never be topped in my eyes.
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    I'll answer by most time intensely playing since my tastes have changed.

WoW

I can't play it anymore but it kept me highly entertained for a long time. Now I'm between EQ2 and Vanguard. If I could mash the two together I would just stare at the screen gently rubbing the monitor.
This discussion has been closed.