Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Words you wish MMO players would stop using

Comments

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by Maelwydd
    PK or player killer. It should be Character killer.

there are non player characters and player characters. that's why we differ :)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457

I don't think I have time to answer this question properly.

I'd have to say the words "fail" and "epic" are thrown around more often then warranted.

Then again, the words "your" and "you're" are thrown around incorrectly, and too often.

Also "loose" and "lose".

Let's just say I wish MMO players would stop using words incorrectly and with such frequency. I don't play "Grammar Police" and will only correct someone when they're making a mistake while insulting someone else's grammar. (I cannot resist!). But sometimes I just wince while watching global chats fly by. It seems that some people are so obsessed with making sure their voice is heard that they don't take a moment to ensure their voice is correct before hitting the enter key.

Now I've gone and started a rant when I said I didn't have the time to answer properly.

What an epic fail. I bet for you're forgiveness.

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163

progression, endgame, fail, (loser, moron, idiot) <-- lots like these.  Can't we talk/debate like adults without personally insulting each other?

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

we, us.

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Originally posted by Gdemami

we, us.

Yep, would like to see more I, me, my, imo, imho -- more speaking for self in general...

• CharlizdCharlizd Member UncommonPosts: 923
    WoW clone and U mad bro, both of these are old and way over used, 
    Andrew "Charlizd" Phippen | Lead World Builder | The Saga of Lucimia MMORPG
  • VolenibbletsVolenibblets Member UncommonPosts: 246

One more vote for Noob.

It has always caused my brain to ache when I try to understand the thought process of someone who thinks that accusing someone of being 'new and inexperienced' to a computer game is supposed to be a crippling insult. 

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682
    Originally posted by asmkm22
    Originally posted by grimgryphon

What are the words that drive you crazy and why?

I guess my entry would be:

Hyperbole: Way too overused and usually incorrectly. It doesn't make you sound more intelligent.  Nothing says, "I'm in my first year at community college and I just learned a new word" like the term hyperbole.

Do you have an alternative to the word "hyperbole?"  The word is fine.  Hearing people try and pronounce it is kind of funny though.

Exaggerate.

That word lacks the implied sarcasm or rhetoric that hyperbole conveys.  It would be like using the word fruit when you are talking about a banana.  Correct, but not accurate.

Ok, lets not rathole with a discussion about the intricacies in the use of the word hyperbole. You're trying to tell me that people on these forums can fully understand the nuances between exaggeration and hyperbole and therefore use the word properly. The very same people who post every day without the least bit of awareness of spelling, grammar, capitalization, and punctuation. Yeah, right.

As far as I'm concerned, the world hyperbole is everyone's favorite, "look, I can use big words too" expression. In most cases, the word exaggerate clearly communicates what the person thinks of any other poster's overstatement.

That's why I'd like to see gamers stop using it.

Can we get back on topic now?

That's quite the generalization you have going there...

In addtiion to properly understanding the word 'hyperbole', you should also spend a bit of time researching the word 'generalization'.

Try using something other than Wikipedia this time.

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942

"polish"

oh god the game is a pile but as long as its polished everythings fine.

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193

"Hackers".

There are no hackers in mmo's. There are only script kiddies.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    "WoW clone"...  "Full of fail"... "Terribad"...<face palm> ^^
    "If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682
    Originally posted by charlizd
    WoW clone and U mad bro, both of these are old and way over used, 

Oh, I forgot about 'U mad bro'

That phrase should be an executable offense.

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • EtherignisEtherignis Member UncommonPosts: 249
    Your mom
  • dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

Toon.

Even in games that do actually have cartoon styled graphics, this still bugs me. It's my avatar, my character, but never my 'toon.'

<3

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    Originally posted by Zorgo
    Originally posted by Cecropia

Do you have an alternative to the word "hyperbole?"  The word is fine.  Hearing people try and pronounce it is kind of funny though.

Exaggerate.

That word lacks the implied sarcasm or rhetoric that hyperbole conveys.  It would be like using the word fruit when you are talking about a banana.  Correct, but not accurate.

A few years ago you saw the word used next to never. Then, some sort of outbreak took place, and we now have everyone and their dogs spewing it up all over the place. The quest to be clever has reduced it's impact to squat. Similar to the case of "straw man argument". Instead of coming across as bright and original (which is obviously the intention), you just end up looking like a putz.

Overuse seems to be a problem with a lot of the examples in this thread. It's funny, much like the titles that make up this the genre, the gamers who play them are just as unoriginal and stagnant image

Hyperbole is the greatest term ever to be used in regards to mmo's - bar none;  from the past, for now and for the future, and anyone who thinks differently is the type which will bring our entire society to destruction.

I get it, well played.  Well played indeed.

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    Sandbox hybrid......

No such thing as a sandbox already has theme park elements and more. Nothing a theme park has done a sandbox hasn't already done or have in the game.
    Sheep.  
    Also "dead" and "dying."  If the company hasn't announced a date to pull the plug, it isn't dying, and if it isn't dead, it isn't..well, dead.
  • reef22reef22 Member UncommonPosts: 85

FAIL!

I'm so sick of seeing that word.  It's so over used, it doesn't have any meaning any more.  

The second a person use that word, he or she lost all of their credibilities in my book.

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

Plox: Oh dear sweet merciful... what hideous, deformed being first ripped this term out from the depths of his or her ignorance and unleashed it upon the swarming internet hordes? IT MAKES NO SENSE! PLS or PLZ at least make some kind of sense, and sound like the word they're trying to shorten, but PLOX?!? AAARRRGGHHH. People who use this word need to be enslaved by Daleks.

• DrevarDrevar Member UncommonPosts: 177

"whipe" used to describe a database wipe or when a party wipes out during a raid, etc. 

"roll playing" when not used in its proper original context as derogatory term for role-playing that emphasizes numbers and stats (meta-gaming) rather than playing any actual role.

"If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let their be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it."
    -Luke McKinney, The 7 Biggest Dick Moves in the History of Online Gaming

"In the end, SWG may have been more potential and promise than fulfilled expectation. But I'd rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."
    -Raph Koster

• bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595
    Originally posted by dreamsofwar
    rouge

Ha!  I've never been entirely sure if the people that use this are intentionally misspelling it or not.  

I never really liked "lolumad" or "cool story, bro".   Over used and makes me imagine an adolescent grinning about pissing someone off.

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    If you use words like 'baddies' I know you arent worth my time to socialize with.  
  • FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

Ganker (=someone better than you in PvP)

Griefer (=someone better than you in PvP)

Troll (=someone with better arguments)

also, "would of, should of and could of" 

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• PsalmsPsalms Member UncommonPosts: 137
    Originally posted by strangiato2112
    If you use words like 'baddies' I know you arent worth my time to socialize with.  

Same. That whole mad/bad/sad thing must be from the mind of an 11 yr old.