Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

STO Winter Event

2»

Comments

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    Guys, can we keep this thread on the topic of the Winter Event. If you want to go on in detail about other features, start a new thread.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    There is no winter in Space-ace-ace-ace.
  • D_TOXD_TOX Member UncommonPosts: 269
    Originally posted by Rohn
    Originally posted by ShardWarrior

As with most games, STO will be having a Winter seasonal event againt this year.  It builds on the Q inspired event of last year.

http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=772651

Some of the details of the event, like the snowman threat, and "The Fast And the Flurrious" race, are identified here:

http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=774311

The rewards for the event can be found here: http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=775821

Some pretty cool stuff in there.

Running the same content for 25 days to get a ship if you want it.... nice.  Glad to see Cryptic/PWE doing something to lessen the already enormous grind in the game.  

Oh wait...

Yes, it would be far better if everything was gained almost instantly.  Instant gratification has been such a successful concept as it regards MMO design.

Oh, wait....

I've seen people complain about STO when things came "too fast", and people complain when things take "too long".  It's impossible to please everyone, though there are those that are going to complain no matter what they do, which is just dishonest.

But yes, it's a horrible thing to have people actually have to play the game to earn the new ship.  Just horrible.  Of course, if they had just put it in the C-Store, people would have bitched about "greed", right?

Couldn't agree more Rohn. I am sick of gamers WHINING that they have to work for something in an MMO. MMO's aren't instant gratification plug and play games for idiots, they require dedication and reward you for it. However, this is not true for 90% of theme-parks released in the last decade, designed to cater to the 'i want it now' and 'its not fair' crowd, hence why we are stuck with such a monumental amount of failures and flops. 

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins
    There is no winter in Space-ace-ace-ace.

True, but it's Q we're talking here and we all saw his sick mind can achieve anything :)

I'm somewhat with ShardWarrior (although I only have 3 captains), the race is quite boring. I sometimes do it during the snowman event to put some fun into it. And if I think about that I have to do it 3x20 times... I think I'll pass on the ship.

D_Tox, couldn't disagree more, they have to work for something in an MMO   Nope, mmo's are for fun and not for a second work. Or at least in my case. For me even grind is meaning the repetitve & boring stuff, if it's repetitve but fun then I'll do it with pleasure. I like to level alts, max the crafting, etc. In this wonderland I love the snowman event for example, I already have a few jackets but I still go back every 30 minutes to kick the Overlord's snowy butt :)

Yeah, the race is only 2 minutes. But it's a boring 2 minutes, which in time becomes a chore. Some people like to do dull work in their playtime, some don't. I think ShardWarrior has every right to find it a grind.

Edit: just for the "they require dedication" since lately we were discussed it irl. Those days are gone. In the early age, before wow / during the first few years of wow, with only a handful games on the market and a smaller crowd, dedication was so common, it was almost expected. Even alts were only mules or accepted if the main was fully complete, geared, etc. Now, with a much larger playerbase and a market stuffed with games, dedication is obsolete. Just look at the success of f2p's, the whole model is based on 'you can come and go any time, and what you buy from the store is yours if you come by next time' (opposing the sub model's pay or leave attitude) Nowadays the majority of players don't want to play only 1 game for years. The Fastest on Ice race is reflecting on this too, they don't say subscribe for a month, they only say log in every day for a few minutes. Just as someone posted in a thread here, today for the companies the person who plays 30 min every day is more valuable than the person who's playing every weekend 2x10 hours. Wow it's a long edit :)

• ShardWarriorShardWarrior Member Posts: 290

Originally posted by Po_gg

I'm somewhat with ShardWarrior (although I only have 3 captains), the race is quite boring. I sometimes do it during the snowman event to put some fun into it. And if I think about that I have to do it 3x20 times... I think I'll pass on the ship.

I passed on it too. The Breen ship is ok, but nothing so special to get me to run the race 25 times on even 1 character.

... if it's repetitve but fun then I'll do it with pleasure. Yeah, the race is only 2 minutes. But it's a boring 2 minutes, which in time becomes a chore. Some people like to do dull work in their playtime, some don't.

This is the point I have been trying to get across about the Winter Event. It is too repetitive and thereby boring. Were they to introduce something more engaging, then it would be better IMO. If anything, the folks here claiming "it isn't a grind" are the ones looking for something for nothing.

And for those talking about the "instant gratification"... I would love for anyone to find a post I made where I asked for an item for free. I haven't. What I have been saying is the Winter Event while nice, adds nothing yet another boring, repetitive task to a game already filled with them.

• D_TOXD_TOX Member UncommonPosts: 269

I passed on it too. The Breen ship is ok, but nothing so special to get me to run the race 25 times on even 1 character.

... if it's repetitve but fun then I'll do it with pleasure. Yeah, the race is only 2 minutes. But it's a boring 2 minutes, which in time becomes a chore. Some people like to do dull work in their playtime, some don't.

This is the point I have been trying to get across about the Winter Event. It is too repetitive and thereby boring. Were they to introduce something more engaging, then it would be better IMO. If anything, the folks here claiming "it isn't a grind" are the ones looking for something for nothing.

And for those talking about the "instant gratification"... I would love for anyone to find a post I made where I asked for an item for free. I haven't. What I have been saying is the Winter Event while nice, adds nothing yet another boring, repetitive task to a game already filled with them.

In that case, its a phucking winter event. What the hell were you expecting? It's for fun and frolics. Not a goddamn expansion that you paid for. 

Originally posted by D_TOX

In that case, its a phucking winter event. What the hell were you expecting? It's for fun and frolics. Not a goddamn expansion that you paid for. 

Fair enough. However, do you even play STO? If so, notice any similarities between Season 7's "content" and the Winter Event?

I will give you a hint... "repetition"... ;)

... and epohh's :)
  • KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Originally posted by Karahandras
    I'm guessing that the better versions of the breen ship will be available from the c store in a month or so(same as last time).

I am not sure.  I would bet it will be in a Breen Lockbox though.  Cryptic/PWE will make way more money on it being in a lockbox vs. just adding the ship to the C-Store.  Why charge 1,000+ ZEN for a ship when they can sucker people into spending 10,000 ZEN (ormore) on lockboxes for the chance to get the ship?

True.

For those interested you have to run the race for 25 days for the ship.  You need 1000 pics at 40pics per win(cooldown 20 hours).  Or you can collect lobi crystals from lockboxes.

edited for mistakes

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Fair enough. However, do you even play STO? If so, notice any similarities between Season 7's "content" and the Winter Event?

I will give you a hint... "repetition"... ;)

Here's another hint - pretty much every MMO revolves around repetition.  As long as what's being repeated is meaningful to players within the context of the game, it's what keeps people coming back, not "story".

In fact, a focus on "story" is routinely seen as a failure in MMOs recently.  It's never been a strong point.  Most story elements in MMOs has been nothing more than a simplistic rationale for the bland quest objectives found throughout the genre.

Whether it's a gear treadmill, PvP rank grind, faction/reputation grind, asteroid mining, crafting, or seasonal activities in this case, repetitive long term systems are usually what keep people playing, not stories.

One person in my fleet almost has all the jackets from this seasonal event.  Does it have meaning?  It does to that person, and quite a few others.

It's just a seasonal event, nothing to get too worked up over.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

[quote]

Here's another hint - pretty much every MMO revolves around repetition.  As long as what's being repeated is meaningful to players within the context of the game, it's what keeps people coming back, not "story".  

Not true. Would love for you to provide links to actual evidence of this.

In fact, a focus on "story" is routinely seen as a failure in MMOs recently.

Again, not true. Do you ever read posts made in the forums for games like CO and DCUO? Go read them. What are players asking for? STORY CONTENT.    

It's never been a strong point.

Right, so folks making posts like this are just plain wrong.

Originally posted by Crazy_Stick

I had fun playing STO for the story missions but they have been abandoned in favor of grind content. The combat was decent fun for me both in space and on the ground but it’s best in quick doses. The grind makes it a chore after a time.

For those interested you have to run the race for 25 days for the ship.  You need 1000 pics at 40pics per win(cooldown 20 hours).  Or you can collect lobi crystals from lockboxes.

edited for mistakes

Indeed, I only wrote 3x20 because I did it already 5 times with my 3 captains :) I should wrote 3x20 times _more_ ,,, my bad.

• LilFreezyLilFreezy Member Posts: 1

Couldn't agree more Rohn. I am sick of gamers WHINING that they have to work for something in an MMO. MMO's aren't instant gratification plug and play games for idiots, they require dedication and reward you for it. However, this is not true for 90% of theme-parks released in the last decade, designed to cater to the 'i want it now' and 'its not fair' crowd, hence why we are stuck with such a monumental amount of failures and flops. 

I got a good laugh out of this one. Seriously man, let go of your fond memories of endless hours of dungeon raiding to get your uber armor of smiting or whatever crap it was to lord over everyone. Those days are gone and the games are better for it.

Developers got smart. They starting developing games for those people who used to pay the gold farmers and had bots to play the game for them because they saw those same people didn't have the time to play, but definitely had the money to spend on it.

Games aren't work nor are they supposed to be. That ship sailed years ago and it's not going to come back. People go to work to get paid, not pay someone else to do work doing something that should be fun.

As with most games, STO will be having a Winter seasonal event againt this year.  It builds on the Q inspired event of last year.

Some of the details of the event, like the snowman threat, and "The Fast And the Flurrious" race, are identified here:

The rewards for the event can be found here: http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=775821

Running the same content for 25 days to get a ship if you want it.... nice.  Glad to see Cryptic/PWE doing something to lessen the already enormous grind in the game.  

Oh wait...

Yes, it would be far better if everything was gained almost instantly.  Instant gratification has been such a successful concept as it regards MMO design.

Oh, wait....

I've seen people complain about STO when things came "too fast", and people complain when things take "too long".  It's impossible to please everyone, though there are those that are going to complain no matter what they do, which is just dishonest.

But yes, it's a horrible thing to have people actually have to play the game to earn the new ship.  Just horrible.  Of course, if they had just put it in the C-Store, people would have bitched about "greed", right?

Whilst I agree with you, running the same short race 25 times isn't my idea  'working for it'.  Infact i would have been a lot happier if they had done something that made me work for the reward.  Same goes for the anniversary ships i got.  

@Rohn if you want people to stop complaining about greed in the c store you'll have to get pwe to start charging a reasonable price for things.  Not the 4x the value they currently do.

Oh wait...

Oh, wait....

Whilst I agree with you, running the same short race 25 times isn't my idea  'working for it'.  Infact i would have been a lot happier if they had done something that made me work for the reward.  Same goes for the anniversary ships i got.  

No, it's definitely not hard to get - I'm a third of the way there on 6 characters, which has not been a big deal (I can do all of them in less than 20 minutes).  Yet, there are those trying to characterize it as a "grind", which is pretty ridiculous.

As far as the price is concerned, free is pretty good, and doesn't seem overly "greedy".

Oh wait...

Oh, wait....

No, it's definitely not hard to get - I'm a third of the way there on 6 characters, which has not been a big deal (I can do all of them in less than 20 minutes).  Yet, there are those trying to characterize it as a "grind", which is pretty ridiculous.

As far as the price is concerned, free is pretty good, and doesn't seem overly "greedy".

I suppose technically it is a 'grind' as you have to repeat the same thing over and over.   Especially for someone like you with 6 chars as it takes 150 times not so much for me as I'm only doing it on my klink and therefore 25 times.  I am finding it a chore though tbh as I'm not finding the event very interesting.

STO is one of those games you can play completely free(I am) if you have the time and inclination to grind dilithium and such.   But the cash shop itself is rather greedy with its inflated prices and lottery bozes, which I think is a common complaint about pwe games not just sto.  It seems to be a case of either or with not much ground in the middle, you could top up the grind by buying a small amount of zen, but once you're 3/4 of the way through the grind what's the last quater going to take to justify buying instead?  Personally I'd like somthing in the middle like subbing for a month and getting a va ship for ec or buying a ship directly for about the same price(without going throught the zen thing).

Oh wait...

Oh, wait....

I suppose technically it is a 'grind' as you have to repeat the same thing over and over.   Especially for someone like you with 6 chars as it takes 150 times not so much for me as I'm only doing it on my klink and therefore 25 times.  I am finding it a chore though tbh as I'm not finding the event very interesting.

STO is one of those games you can play completely free(I am) if you have the time and inclination to grind dilithium and such.   But the cash shop itself is rather greedy with its inflated prices and lottery bozes, which I think is a common complaint about pwe games not just sto.  It seems to be a case of either or with not much ground in the middle, you could top up the grind by buying a small amount of zen, but once you're 3/4 of the way through the grind what's the last quater going to take to justify buying instead?  Personally I'd like somthing in the middle like subbing for a month and getting a va ship for ec or buying a ship directly for about the same price(without going throught the zen thing).

If repetition is the sole criteria, then every MMO is a "grind", no matter the amount of time or effort it takes.  The Breen ship is easy to get.

I think it's humorous that the C-Store is brought up regarding the Winter Event.  The content is available for free for all players.  The Breen Warship is also available for free just by playing the game.

• ValoreahValoreah Member Posts: 75

This in of itself is a fallacy. Just because "every other MMO does it" does not constitute an excuse for others to follow suit. No one would be playing MMOs if there were no story content and the games just had 2 or 3 repetitive tasks. To try and claim otherwise is just plain ridiculous.

In fact, a focus on "story" is routinely seen as a failure in MMOs recently.  It's never been a strong point.  Most story elements in MMOs has been nothing more than a simplistic rationale for the bland quest objectives found throughout the genre.

This is completely false. The overall lore of a given MMO is one of the main things to lure players to the game. Again, totally ridiculous to assert otherwise.