Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is there not an MMO that you can solo 100% of everything?

Comments

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509

If you think about it all MMO games are solo play. Why or how dare I say that? I will tell you why or how dare I say it because you have to pick a class or a race that YOU like then you have to lvl up your avatar to achieve the goals of the game weather it be healing or dps or taking or whatever your role is. Then if you play PVE with npc running your quest or even if you play with other real live players if you fail on your part in whatever instence or raid or for that matter just solo playing lvling up and you die by trash mobs then guess what it not the fault of a group or the trash mobs or the boss that your raid just wiped on it is your fault no one else fault because you could not play your toon to a solo point to contribute a wining outcome.

So to answer the OP is yes you can solo everything 100% in a MMO.

Just remember your victory is just that your victory. Also you fail is just that your fail. You soloed it no one else but you.

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by Aviggin

Playing 100% solo is boring as shit. I can play solo for a while before I get bored (but not overly long), but even then, I'm constantly watching chat to see if anyone wants to group for content I want to do. If everything was 100% solo, I would get very bored, very quickly.

I personally love seeing LFG this and that. It gives me motivation to level to do it myself with others. I like grouping with other players and having fun.

I think games are FAR too solo-heavy as it is and needs to be scaled back. 50-50 is probably fine, but it's currently like 80-20 for soloing.

I generally don't level up just to do things myself. I level up, obtain gear, etc., to be more useful in group situations, and to show off a little while I'm at it if possible.

That being said, OP, I woudln't be surprised if a 100% solo game is in the works. I just don't think it'll last.

To be fair, i prefer LFD grouping to level in a MMO. But i also understand there are those who prefer solo more. Boring to you is not boring to others, i hope you understand that.

Actually if a game is MMO .. hence online, there is usually a MP component. Even games like Diablo and Torchlight 2 are not 100% solo.

Yes, this.

For one, I find grouping MUCH easier than going at something solo. In groups, I barely have to pay attention to what is going on or what I'm doing. Same with raids, especially the larger 25 man (and even more so in 50 man) raids. Going at something solo, I have to be on my feet...really pay attention to what is going on. 

Now I do group once in a while. And I find looking for dungeon/raids a great feature to motivate to join groups. No need to stand around for an hour waiting for the raid to fill up. And I can turn off sound, so I don't have to listen to an armchair strategist telling (or in some cases, yelling) me what to do. I can instead just focus on the game, and not hear some guys voice.

Also, going at something solo...I can take my time doing something. In groups, its rush rush rush...solo...I just go at my own pace. I can go afk any time if something comes up, I don't have to be at my chair for hours and hours...I can take a lot of breaks. 

A lot of reasons why solo is more fun and better.  And like mentioned, just because I'm not in a group...doesn't mean I'm not contributing to the community and game or not socializing at all.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

I go with this industry definition:
    http://www.newzoo.com/insights/the-global-mmo-market-sizing-and-seizing-opportunities-2/
    And since that includes LOL .. certainly there is SP game features in MMOs.
    Do YOU know what the current MMO definition is?
    I'm sorry, who are these people and what are their credentials?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Originally posted by Torvaldr
    There used to be.  It was called Lineage.  In fact being able to solo what it took others to group up for was a symbol of status.  Even people who duo'd high level areas had respect because it took skill.

Then along came the EQ and FFXI model where Japanese companies thought it would be a clever way to boost population numbers by implementing forced grouping and trinity mechanics.  And that's what we have had ever since.

Unfortunately the Western audience didn't take to the slow leveling open world no real quest approach.  Lineage is still popular in Korea.  Even those it's 2.5d isometric and sprite based it still has more people playing and brings in better revenue than most Western games except maybe WoW and GW2.

Lineage was the only truly sub game I've ever played too.  The game cost $15 per month and it included everything including the ability to play on all 3 servers (Ken Rahuel, Depardieau, and Lands of Aden).  There were no xpac fees and if you wanted to rename, you re-rolled.  It sported open world pvp with consequences and meaning that included dueling and sieging among other features.  Characters and accounts had a place and reputation in the community.  PvE was a challenge but each class had its way to play and compete.  Skillful players could eventually solo very difficult content, but grouping was promoted through safer less risky game play and as a PK deterrent.

It was a fun game that let you play pretty much any way you wanted.

nvm misread

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    I know, I hate grouping in mmos it always feels so forced, I dont even want to see other people when I log in. You know what im really pissed off about though, how come there arent any single player games out there where i can group with friends and get to end-game just so I can solo all the dungeons for elite loot? Thats what I want, that would be the best game ever!
  • azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

There is, its Called Asheron's Call.

Because it was my first MMO and supported and even rewarded skillful solo play I will forever have a soft spot in my heart for anything solo related.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• MsGamerladyMsGamerlady Member UncommonPosts: 192

Perhaps it's not out because no one made one?

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

Should never be able to solo end game content, kind of odd that you level up and work hard to get to max level just so you can cut thru end game content. A max level dungeon or boss should be a push over, it should require some type of group, some planning, strategy, some brain power. Not just rush in and be able to kill everything for the loot.

Thats what helped mmorpgs to faulter in the first place with all this "i want", "instant win button, "its too hard" mentality that has plaqued the industry. Dumbed these games down so much its pathetic. I want a challenge, to use skill, to be notorious for take out a dungeon or boss.

Originally posted by Onomas
    Should never be able to solo end game content, kind of odd that you level up and work hard to get to max level just so you can cut thru end game content. A max level dungeon or boss should be a push over, it should require some type of group, some planning, strategy, some brain power. Not just rush in and be able to kill everything for the loot.Thats what helped mmorpgs to faulter in the first place with all this "i want", "instant win button, "its too hard" mentality that has plaqued the industry. Dumbed these games down so much its pathetic. I want a challenge, to use skill, to be notorious for take out a dungeon or boss.

It's also sad people solo up to cap and then don't have the group skills to do any of the content...

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

oooo....I got it.

Same reason there isn't an mmo which has 100% group content and the same reason there isn't an mmo which has 100% raid content.

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    Originally posted by Nitth

Originally posted by Onomas
    Should never be able to solo end game content, kind of odd that you level up and work hard to get to max level just so you can cut thru end game content. A max level dungeon or boss should be a push over, it should require some type of group, some planning, strategy, some brain power. Not just rush in and be able to kill everything for the loot.

Thats what helped mmorpgs to faulter in the first place with all this "i want", "instant win button, "its too hard" mentality that has plaqued the industry. Dumbed these games down so much its pathetic. I want a challenge, to use skill, to be notorious for take out a dungeon or boss.

It's also sad people solo up to cap and then don't have the group skills to do any of the content...

This too, yes thank you.

Like a medic not healing, or a tank not tanking, no communication, etc. Grouping helps improve your gameplay and skill, nit take away from it. You learn more by cooperation than running off into the wild by yourself.

Now dont get me wrong, some stuff should be solo, alone time for the player, but not 100% of the game.

• Mr_CMr_C Member Posts: 112
    I find it weird that group fanatics are being offended that someone want an MMO with soloable content. Like they are forced to play that or getting sleepless nights. (If someone start having sleepless nights due to an MMO with solo content  then serious helped is highly recommended).
  • BanaghranBanaghran Member Posts: 869
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

There used to be.  It was called Lineage.  In fact being able to solo what it took others to group up for was a symbol of status.  Even people who duo'd high level areas had respect because it took skill.

Then along came the EQ and FFXI model where Japanese companies thought it would be a clever way to boost population numbers by implementing forced grouping and trinity mechanics.  And that's what we have had ever since.

Unfortunately the Western audience didn't take to the slow leveling open world no real quest approach.  Lineage is still popular in Korea.  Even those it's 2.5d isometric and sprite based it still has more people playing and brings in better revenue than most Western games except maybe WoW and GW2.

Lineage was the only truly sub game I've ever played too.  The game cost $15 per month and it included everything including the ability to play on all 3 servers (Ken Rahuel, Depardieau, and Lands of Aden).  There were no xpac fees and if you wanted to rename, you re-rolled.  It sported open world pvp with consequences and meaning that included dueling and sieging among other features.  Characters and accounts had a place and reputation in the community.  PvE was a challenge but each class had its way to play and compete.  Skillful players could eventually solo very difficult content, but grouping was promoted through safer less risky game play and as a PK deterrent.

It was a fun game that let you play pretty much any way you wanted.

L2 was the same, up to a point.

But i would not recommend it to anyone these days, NCWest was always incompetent and NCSoft isnt what it used to be before half of their devs left, but what i saw since i started to play again out of nostalgia two weeks ago...

But you may find a good c4 or gf server, if you search.

Flame on!

:)

• xeniarxeniar Member UncommonPosts: 805
    Originally posted by Mr_C
    I find it weird that group fanatics are being offended that someone want an MMO with soloable content. Like they are forced to play that or getting sleepless nights. (If someone start having sleepless nights due to an MMO with solo content  then serious helped is highly recommended).

We (the group loving get of my lawn group) are deeply offended by it yes. Its taking what this Genre is all about the very foundation of it all and smashing it too pieces. I'm not saying we are having sleeples nights over it, But this is a De-evolution of the genre not a step forward as some claim. 

Originally posted by xeniar

We (the group loving get of my lawn group) are deeply offended by it yes. Its taking what this Genre is all about the very foundation of it all and smashing it too pieces. I'm not saying we are having sleeples nights over it, But this is a De-evolution of the genre not a step forward as some claim. 

Offended exactly by whom?

Its far for a homogenous group, there is a difference if you prefer to do things on your own and if you want a singleplayer experience.

In other words, are you offended by crafters that they want to solo a rock, then duo with the anvil to create a piece of armor to sell to you?

Flame on!

Originally posted by Banaghran

Its far for a homogenous group, there is a difference if you prefer to do things on your own and if you want a singleplayer experience.

In other words, are you offended by crafters that they want to solo a rock, then duo with the anvil to create a piece of armor to sell to you?

Flame on!

you have apearantly not read what i said nor the title of the thread.

I am so glad you're not the one who defines the genre. So far everything is pointing to that you group fanatics arent worth listening to either, since games are moving more and more away from your extremistic requirements and thus have become better games to play.

Originally posted by Mr_C I find it weird that group fanatics are being offended that someone want an MMO with soloable content. Like they are forced to play that or getting sleepless nights. (If someone start having sleepless nights due to an MMO with solo content  then serious helped is highly recommended).
    I am so glad you're not the one who defines the genre. So far everything is pointing to that you group fanatics arent worth listening to either, since games are moving more and more away from your extremistic requirements and thus have become better games to play.

Misread, Sorry

if they have become better games to play then why are so many of these themeparks crashing and burning? with players often returning to WoW, because lets face it WoW will be the #1 thempark out there forever. there issnt gonna be any game better then wow by just copying it. nor by stating you do this and that difrently but in the end the core game is the same. and WoW does it better.

henceforth we need something really diffrent wich is returning to the roots of what an MMO was all about.

Originally posted by Banaghran

Flame on!

you have apearantly not read what i said nor the title of the thread.

I did, i just didnt expect you really holding the belief that forced grouping is the only way to go.

My bad then, ill be off :)

Flame on!

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

ummmm,

MMO - Massive Multi......

Not sure if this is a serious question or not.  If it is, it shouldn't be.  By definition, an MMO is geared towards multiplayer interactions.  For games that are pure solo, play an RPG.  There are a lot of them out there.

I self identify as a monkey.

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692

They are moving away from group requirements because they want $$$ and because of WoW there are a bunch of execs that know nothing about what an MMO is that are dictating that games be more soloable so you, the entitlement generation wont have to to go see Dr. Phil because you can't handle having to work for something.  Just because you and your generation can log in and win DOES NOT MAKE A GAME BETTER TO PPLAY!

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

As far as I'm concerned, if you can hit max level completely solo then it is a solo game.  Those few raid dungeons at the end are just a poor way of keeping people playing beyond the games life span.

Out of all the level based games listed on this site how many require a group to hit max level?  I can only think of one, FFXI.

Solo players, you've gotten what you wanted and you're still complaining.  Give it a rest.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

if they have become better games to play then why are so many of these themeparks crashing and burning? with players often returning to WoW, because lets face it WoW will be the #1 thempark out there forever. there issnt gonna be any game better then wow by just copying it. nor by stating you do this and that difrently but in the end the core game is the same. and WoW does it better.

henceforth we need something really diffrent wich is returning to the roots of what an MMO was all about.

If MMO's would be your like you group fanatic's wet dream, they would be close the unplayable by the 'masses', which is a paradox since the 'M' means massively.

Accept that the 'M' does not means "forced grouping", but for being able to interact with others then move on. You might as well get a good night sleep too.