Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Went back and could not believe it......

2»

Comments

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

I have a lot of love the EQ2 community in general... Especially the crafters and homeshow folks.

• Josh007CLJosh007CL Member CommonPosts: 38
    Originally posted by evilastro

While nostalgia is nice, EQ2 isnt the same game it was back then. Everything is easier, there is no need to work as a team. In fact all the dungeons now have a solo version. There are lots of botters and multi-boxers. People just farm money for charity loot. Raid progression is a joke.

EoF and TSO were the best, would be good if they could get back to those good old days. I think EQ2 has gone too far from that though, but will be looking forward to the latest version of Norrath in EQNext.

Pretty much this sums it up for me. I played EQ2 on and off since 2005 and admit I had a lot of fun but now the games just changed too much for the worst. I enjoyed EOF and ROK but TSO is where the game dropped off for me. I'm playing Vanguard now and having some fun in that, miss my melee spec warden though.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Still a great game...  have fun
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Being able to solo your way through mmos with out having to socialize and work with other people is whats wrong with the genre today. 
    Originally posted by Mannish
    Being able to solo your way through mmos with out having to socialize and work with other people is whats wrong with the genre today. 

Except that it is possible to, and I do almost 90% exclusively, play the game as a group experience if you so choose. There are even incentives for you to do so.

I usually at least duo but I group with 1-4 people daily, depending on who needs what, and I find EQ2 an incredibly social game, both in guild and in chat (1-9 is even ok, if sometimes incendiary heh... crafting and homeshow are great).

TBH, I don't actually disagree with your statement in general Mannish, but with regards to EQ2 I have to say that it's group play and community are still pretty strong and fun. Strangers offer you their time and knowledge at the drop of a hat also... I have been run through raid instances by people I have never met before, just because they enjoy hanging out.

Definitely still one of the best examples of the theme park questers out there... if only for the sheer depth of content and diversity of activity it offers within it's walls.

Above all I think EQ2 offers choice, especially now.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Originally posted by Vesavius

Except that it is possible to, and I do almost 90% exclusively, play the game as a group experience if you so choose. There are even incentives for you to do so.

I usually at least duo but I group with 1-4 people daily, depending on who needs what, and I find EQ2 an incredibly social game, both in guild and in chat (1-9 is even ok, if sometimes incendiary heh... crafting and houseshow are great).

TBH, I don't actually disagree with your statement in general Mannish, but with regards to EQ2 I have to say that it's group play and community are still pretty strong and fun. Strangers offer you their time and knowledge at the drop of a hat also... I have been run through raid instances by people I have never met before, just because they enjoy hanging out.

Definitely still one of the best examples of the theme park questers out there... if only for the sheer depth of content and diversity of activity it offers within it's walls.

I was not talkign about Everquest 2 in general but I must say I did spend some time with the game before the FTP and also afther it went FTP. The game really amazed me and other then Lineage 2 no game has ever just immersed me like it did. Its one of those games that I wish I would have been there at the beggining. There are only 2 mmos I have ever played and enjoyed and thats my all time favorite Lineage 2 and  Everquest 2. If I could get into a old school type guild that plays the game like it should be played I would come back.

Originally posted by Vesavius

I usually at least duo but I group with 1-4 people daily, depending on who needs what, and I find EQ2 an incredibly social game, both in guild and in chat (1-9 is even ok, if sometimes incendiary heh... crafting and houseshow are great).

I was not talkign about Everquest 2 in general but I must say I did spend some time with the game before the FTP and also afther it went FTP. The game really amazed me and other then Lineage 2 no game has ever just immersed me like it did. Its one of those games that I wish I would have been there at the beggining. There are only 2 mmos I have ever played and enjoyed and thats my all time favorite Lineage 2 and  Everquest 2. If I could get into a old school type guild that plays the game like it should be played I would come back.

Fair enough :)

If you want to do that you should really consider talking to the I N S T I N C T guys from these forums who have a newbie/ restarter guild on AB. Their operation didn't suit me because I don't use Vent as a general rule outside of guild operations (which puts you very much on the outside), I am UK based (they are mostly US and so the times aren't ideal), and a couple of other things I will not go into, but those that it suits seem to like it and I believe they are open to doing older content.

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419
    Its because in most mmo's now a days the community is near non-existant, since for most of the game you can just solo, so not many people hang out and such. Eq2 is sort of like this now, but it still has alot of older players like what happened to you that are still around and still have their community minded selves out there. Its nice to see people that remember you like that. :)

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• ShowrbeastShowrbeast Member UncommonPosts: 10

I'm glad to see that some people are able to see this kind of community in a game these days.  At one point I was a member of such a family in Dark Age of Camelot.  We were called Blackfist Clan over on Albion Gawaine and we had many times together.  This went on for a long while and then Warhammer AoR came out and people left to play it, and the family kind of fell apart.  I'd love to run across any of the old guildmates from those times and find out that there was a group of them playing anything together because I know that no matter what the game is we would have a fun time in it together.

Here's to wishing upon a star...  :)

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    You know whats funny? I've played a lot of MMOs and many before EQ2 and the same thing happens to me when I got back to EQ2 lol. It does have a GREAT community.

• TorreyHTorreyH Member UncommonPosts: 43
    EQ1 was like that for me, LOL.  I played for five years, like nearly every day, and because of the nature of that game we did have a community, and that was the heart of it.  The other players, the relationships.  You *needed* other people, to succeed and thrive and have fun.  I like EQ2 a lot, not just because it is still in Norrath, but because it seems to have an actual community.  That's what a MMORPG should be like - what's the point, if you never need to interact with another player?  I'm glad to hear that in EQ2 there is such commitment and continuity, and not just in hard-core raiding guilds.  SOE is doing *something* right.  :-)
  • CharisiCharisi Member Posts: 159
    Originally posted by IG-88

What a nice story, i feel happy for you!

I know the feeling, and was extremely sad when SWG was closed, so many friends and so much fun, i realy want to relive that again!

I wish you a ton of fun in your re-discovered game!

Are you THE IG-88 from Tarq?

A Requiem For Argos, now available at e-book retailers.

• meleemadnessmeleemadness Member Posts: 592

Wow, that is so awesome!  I too love the music of EQ2, it reminds me of EQ1, my first game.  That music evokes some sort of inner emotion that no other game has ever done....it is so weird.

I know some ppl liken it to your first love, etc. Maybe that is it.  Before EQ1 i never knew what an MMO was or that they even existed.  I was instantly shocked and fell in love.  I guess that incredible amazement is what has placed the EQ music in a certain part of my brain that always brings back that euphoria (an EQ guild I was in for a bit on the Nameless, haha).

Oh well, gonna log in and listen!