Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tired of Season Events?

ChlerubChlerub Member UncommonPosts: 21

I play MMOs to get immersed in a universe that is far removed from reality.

Now every year, in literally every single MMO out there, they annoy the crap out of me

with these Halloween and Christmas updates.

Seriously now, what the hell?

I'm not playing games to be constantly reminded that some superstitious ritual is going on around me.

There is a simple reason i'm actually playing the game - to espace reality.

If you absolutely must have season events, come up with some interesting lore,

but please please please with sugar on top,

stop reminding me of the shit that i'm trying to get away from.

Christmas in GW2? - Vomit!

Snow flakes and christmas trees in WoW? - Bite me!

Fricking snow ball launchers in Eve? - What the frack?

Halloween masks in Rift? - Are you kidding me..

How do you folks think about this?

Comments

• ObiClownobiObiClownobi Member Posts: 186
    I agree totally.

"It's a sandbox, if you are not willing to create a castle then all you have is sand" - jtcgs

• StanlyStankoStanlyStanko Member UncommonPosts: 270
    Yes. Old and stupid at this point.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    I think seasonal events are great. Games are about having fun, and they are a good way to have fun.

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865

I don't like that holliday events seem to be a requirement instead of a fun thing that is added to the game, just because.

However; when creating a world, the people in that world will have holidays and seasonal events. In a Traditional fantasy setting, there will probaby be some sort of harvest festival, a winter solstice festival, a spring renewal or fertility festival.

So I can see Dev's creating these events if it creates the feeling of a living world. But if the devs are just going down a checklist: ""We have to have Halloween event, check, Christmas event, check, Valentine event, check..." Then I am with you and would rather they just didn't. 

• AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665
    Look no further, we have found the Grinch! It's silly and people find them fun, as with all things in life; If it's not harming anyone, do what you want!
  • CakeisyummehCakeisyummeh Member Posts: 194
    Originally posted by Avarix
    Look no further, we have found the Grinch! It's silly and people find them fun, as with all things in life; If it's not harming anyone, do what you want!

+1

• shawn01shawn01 Member UncommonPosts: 166
    I liked the halloween event in DAoC, had some fun fights at pumpkin patch! Mostly i agree, im tired of trite "features".
  • ChlerubChlerub Member UncommonPosts: 21
    Originally posted by Johnie-Marz

I don't like that holliday events seem to be a requirement instead of a fun thing that is added to the game, just because.

However; when creating a world, the people in that world will have holidays and seasonal events. In a Traditional fantasy setting, there will probaby be some sort of harvest festival, a winter solstice festival, a spring renewal or fertility festival.

So I can see Dev's creating these events if it creates the feeling of a living world. But if the devs are just going down a checklist: ""We have to have Halloween event, check, Christmas event, check, Valentine event, check..." Then I am with you and would rather they just didn't. 

This hits it right on the head.

I'm totally onboard with events that are based on the games lore.

But don't throw some stupid christmas stuff into a setting where it doesn't belong.

It really gets on my nerves. I loathe religious holidays and it upsets me to have to endure them.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219
    I think it's an immersion breaker to base it so closely on RL festivities. If it actually fitted the lore or logic of the virtual world I'd be more for them. Instead I can hear the whispers of marketing dept. planning how much of a bump in promotional publicity will occur to warrant the extra dev input, when these things are announced, real or imagined. Personally think there should be MORE festival dates in RL, like they have in India, but that's another story... ;)
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,350

The rule of thumb is that if content were any good, they'd make it available permanently, not only briefly for seasonal events.  Thus, seasonal events intrinsically mean wasting precious development time on content that isn't any good.

There is also the issue that real-life time dependence in order to do content is very, very bad game design that should be avoided whenever possible.  Seasonal events put in such real-life time dependence gratuitously.

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    I hate them generally.  If I am playing a character that is maxed out it does give  me something to do though.  Generally a thumbs down.  I would rather have the time spent on other content.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

Originally posted by Quizzical

The rule of thumb is that if content were any good, they'd make it available permanently, not only briefly for seasonal events.  Thus, seasonal events intrinsically mean wasting precious development time on content that isn't any good.

There is also the issue that real-life time dependence in order to do content is very, very bad game design that should be avoided whenever possible.  Seasonal events put in such real-life time dependence gratuitously.

I am not sure if I agree with your thumb.

But I do agree, at this point much of the seasonal holiday events are generic and don't fit the lore so I would rather the dev's put their resources into something else. (Or creating more immersive events)

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

Love season events, but the ones who are more detached from the usual events.

i.e. TSW is doing it right, Halloween was unique and Christmas event is in fact a world ending event.

That´s the way I like it.

But I´m kind of disappointed about TOR and the meager "life day" thing they are doing. A handful of items in the cash shop and free fireworks is  "meh". I loved Lifeday in SWG, that was always fun.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• ThourneThourne Member RarePosts: 757

I have to agree.

I strongly dislike real world calender events intruding in game.

If the game wants to have it's own seasonal or event based holidays that fit into the lore and look like they belong (not like they are forced in) then I would have no issue.

Originally posted by FromHell

Love season events, but the ones who are more detached from the usual events.

i.e. TSW is doing it right, Halloween was unique and Christmas event is in fact a world ending event.

That´s the way I like it.

But I´m kind of disappointed about TOR and the meager "life day" thing they are doing. A handful of items in the cash shop and free fireworks is  "meh". I loved Lifeday in SWG, that was always fun.

The funny thing is, TSW is the one MMO where traditional holiday events would fit, since it takes place in our own world (Or an alternate shard of our world) So it's ironic that they're the game that is foregoing the traditional Christmas event for something original that fits their lore.

• ChlerubChlerub Member UncommonPosts: 21

Don't get me wrong - i'm not against season events.

I'm against season events that are rooted in the REAL WORLD,

especially the religious kind that make my blood boil.

These companies invest a lot of sweat and money to immerse you in their strange world and lore,

just to smack you in the face every single year with "Look! It's Christmas".

Which in 99% of the case has absolutely nothing to do with the game.

They simply throw overboard all the crap they went through just to give you some snow balls,

a christmas tree and some stupid halloween boss or whatnot.

It's annoying, it's completely disconnected from the game setting and in my personal case it offends my intellect to

have to deal with these primitive and superstitious traditions.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    I used to liek special events but then I played Rift where there was a special event all the time and usually only a slight variation of the previous one.That pretty much burnt me out on such events....if they are happening all the time they are no longer "Special".
  • AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665
    Originally posted by Chlerub

Don't get me wrong - i'm not against season events.

I'm against season events that are rooted in the REAL WORLD,

especially the religious kind that make my blood boil.

These companies invest a lot of sweat and money to immerse you in their strange world and lore,

just to smack you in the face every single year with "Look! It's Christmas".

Which in 99% of the case has absolutely nothing to do with the game.

They simply throw overboard all the crap they went through just to give you some snow balls,

a christmas tree and some stupid halloween boss or whatnot.

It's annoying, it's completely disconnected from the game setting and in my personal case it offends my intellect to

have to deal with these primitive and superstitious traditions.

The voice in my head when reading this went to Darth Vader for some reason. "You will sublimate my rage by sacrificing kittens!" I don't see it as all that serious. There are all kinds of beliefs that people have that I find ridiculous every day, but they certainly don't make me angry. At the end of the day it's just a game. If it makes your "blood boil" as you say, it may be best to simply walk away from it.

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778
    Originally posted by Cakeisyummeh
    Originally posted by Avarix

+1

+100

• ezpz77ezpz77 Member Posts: 227
    Originally posted by Chlerub
    Originally posted by Johnie-Marz

This hits it right on the head.

I'm totally onboard with events that are based on the games lore.

But don't throw some stupid christmas stuff into a setting where it doesn't belong.

It really gets on my nerves. I loathe religious holidays and it upsets me to have to endure them.

I'm an atheist, and I put up a Christmas tree and decorate the house every year. We open presents and have a big breakfast with a Christmas ham. We make a day out of it. The only thing I don't do is put up a nativity set. For me, Christmas has nothing at all to do with religion. I'm guessing you don't have a family. If you do what do you tell your kids? My parents never took me to church or even mentioned what Christmas was about. It was just a time when everything got decorated real pretty and my whole family came together to celebrate being a family.

Shrugs, to each his own, but I think you need to loosen up a bit. It's a video game. Suspend disbelief for a bit and go try and have some fun instead of being such a negative nancy. 

edit: I've never once seen an in-game holiday be directly associated with religion which seems to be your biggest gripe. It's not like Ironforge has nativity sets and cruicifixes all over the place. 

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037
    I would much much much prefer to see devs spend the same effort designing their own in-universe special events and festivals, rather than churning out MMO Christmas or Halloween #53467.

I love me some holidays to liven up the game world, but every MMO just seems to be going through the motions.
  • BanaghranBanaghran Member Posts: 869

Depends on the event.

In L2 they currently have one that made everyone and their mother log on their lv85+ chars to idle in the cities for rewards.

The consequence is 3 server restarts a day , 2-3s server lag and constantly full servers (obviosly it is mad to expect a higher cap than 7k, its not like every second bootlegged russian server can be stable with 15-20k people online...)

(If someone goes trough my post history: Yes, this is how i vent :) )

Flame on!

:)

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by Banquetto
    I would much much much prefer to see devs spend the same effort designing their own in-universe special events and festivals, rather than churning out MMO Christmas or Halloween #53467.

I love me some holidays to liven up the game world, but every MMO just seems to be going through the motions.

Now we're talking!  That would make much more sense.

And while they're at it, keep most of them to a single day (some can be a few days to a week but that should be the exception) and not drag out every holiday for weeks on end.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469

seasonal events are good but not those that have anything to do with reality / real world

since the games are fictional, make fictional days for different celebrations

how hard is that?

fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN
  • OberholzerOberholzer Member Posts: 498

As predictable as are holiday events now in MMO's so are the "I hate MMO holiday event" threads that pop up around a holiday. I don't mind holiday events. What I'd like to see though is more random events happening in MMO's.