Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does Darkfall use old graphics to have...

funconfuncon Member UncommonPosts: 279

....less pixels so that there could be huge battles between hundreds of players? So if this is the case, so it means you guys like game play over graphics, true? Me, I like great graphics and huge battles like Planet Side 2 has. Ive seen a few Darkfall videos on youtube and the graphics look like something from early 2000's or late 90s. The water doesnt splash when walking or jumping in it. The edges of most objets are blocky or straight line. And the shore lines they are straight lines no ripples or anything. How can you guys play a game with these style graphics? They used this style back in the old days. We are in 2013, do you guys not want to play games with nice graphics?

Heres the video I'm talking about.

I'm not trying to bash this game, but I don't know. Nice graphics is what attracts me to some games, not only nice graphics of course but if the game doesnt have nice graphics, it is most likely I will not play it.

Comments

• FondelFondel Member UncommonPosts: 98
    That is not Darkfall UW video. The graphics have improved.
  • gchris7gchris7 Member Posts: 73

Originally posted by funcon ....less pixels so that there could be huge battles between hundreds of players? So if this is the case, so it means you guys like game play over graphics, true? Me, I like great graphics and huge battles like Planet Side 2 has. Ive seen a few Darkfall videos on youtube and the graphics look like something from early 2000's or late 90s. The water doesnt splash when walking or jumping in it. The edges of most objets are blocky or straight line. And the shore lines they are straight lines no ripples or anything. How can you guys play a game with these style graphics? They used this style back in the old days. We are in 2013, do you guys not want to play games with nice graphics?   Heres the video I'm talking about.   I'm not trying to bash this game, but I don't know. Nice graphics is what attracts me to some games, not only nice graphics of course but if the game doesnt have nice graphics, it is most likely I will not play it.

Thats not Darkfall Unholy Wars. Thats Darkfall 1.0 footage.

Check their latest videos on the official youtube channel for DF UW.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/DarkfallOnline?feature=watch

• liinkiliinki Member Posts: 7
    that footage is from the first game not DF:UW, it had been improved alot since the first game.
  • FondelFondel Member UncommonPosts: 98

Check this vid. A lot of improvement imo.

• funconfuncon Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Oh my bad. Can someone link me to a video to see if they have improved?
  • BuniontToesBuniontToes Member Posts: 529

Even if DFO2 graphics have improved (look at any of the official vodeos) the world grpahics in DFO1 were very good.  Most poeple turn down thier graphics settings for game play.

The engine will run the graphics quite well, but anyone with a bit og an older machine would run lower settings for even the slightest perormance advantage.  The oder character models were a bit meh, but not hoprrible.  These have been re-modeled for the  new release.

• KalanderKalander Member UncommonPosts: 12
    Originally posted by funcon
    Oh my bad. Can someone link me to a video to see if they have improved?

Here goes a actual gameplay:

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by liinki
    that footage is from the first game not DF:UW, it had been improved alot since the first game.

So people keep telling me. But the vids I have seen of DF:UW is still far inferior to modern MMORPGs like GW 2, Tera and even SW:TOR. Specially the combat animations looks horrendous altough the environment GFX has improved. However I would much rather the combat look good rather than the trees, mountains etc.

• D_TOXD_TOX Member UncommonPosts: 269
    Originally posted by Yamota
    Originally posted by liinki

So people keep telling me. But the vids I have seen of DF:UW is still far inferior to modern MMORPGs like GW 2, Tera and even SW:TOR. Specially the combat animations looks horrendous altough the environment GFX has improved. However I would much rather the combat look good rather than the trees, mountains etc.

Do you think the millions of people who play Minecraft give a sh*t that their 2 bit character doesn't dig a perfectly animated hole with shovel in hand?

Gameplay > graphics, always. Sure graphics help but graphics won't keep a playerbase alone. 

• TraugarTraugar Member UncommonPosts: 183
    I couldn't care less about graphics.  As long as the gameplay is good that is what matters to me.  I still play pen and paper games along with MUDs though so extremely good graphics haven't ever been something that was really important to me.  
  • Burning25Burning25 Member Posts: 24
    Too bad planetside 2s gameplay is awful. I'll take gameplay over graphics anyday.
  • gchris7gchris7 Member Posts: 73

Originally posted by Yamota

Originally posted by liinki that footage is from the first game not DF:UW, it had been improved alot since the first game.

GW 2 has an impressive style, but graphics and animations are a joke. They look cartoonish.

Darkfall's world looked epic at high settings.
    Not sure why you find the animations horrendous on DF UW. They look awesome to me, a lot better than i even expected and greatly improved compared to DF 1

• sylentnytesylentnyte Member UncommonPosts: 68

I really think the graphics are far better than most games listed in this thread.

Diffrent strokes i guess.

I had to laugh at swtor looking better. :)

• gekidogekido Member UncommonPosts: 66

- Lootable player corpses

- Dynamic structures

- Collision detection

- Physics

- Seamless world

- Destructible vehicles

- Customized armor and appearance

- and of course massive battles

These are just a few features Darkfall has.  Other titles may have a few but not all.  Each of those features are huge from a technical standpoint.

For what Darkfall does, it does very well and looks right on par in my opinion.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

A lot of people played df1 with tHe graphics turned down for a better fps.

YouTube The Hunt to see df1 with the graphics turned up.

• DoomtecDoomtec Member Posts: 32

LOL.....SWTOR.....remember the epic lag on Ilum with just a few players???

Yeah. What good are graphics if the game runs like shit?

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,403

Good graphics > good gameplay > good gameplay and good graphics, why do peeps insist it must be one or the other ?

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• funconfuncon Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Originally posted by xenomonk123
    [mod edit]

No troll. I'm seriously looking to get into an mmo that I can immerse myself into. And I do have a high end gaming pc and if I buy this game, will play it fully max settings. I am just waiting to check out videos from the beta on youtube to see if I like it or not.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    So, as you can see from The Hunt video the graphics are not half bad.  The world design is all handcrafted and looks fantastic.  Say what you will about the graphics but I doubt you will find an equal in the atmosphere department.  
  • xenomonk123xenomonk123 Member Posts: 15
    Originally posted by funcon
    Originally posted by xenomonk123
    [mod edit]

No troll. I'm seriously looking to get into an mmo that I can immerse myself into. And I do have a high end gaming pc and if I buy this game, will play it fully max settings. I am just waiting to check out videos from the beta on youtube to see if I like it or not.

You'll never experience darkfall by watching a video. If you really have a high end gaming pc you shouldn't have any trouble coming up with 30 bucks to buy possibly one of the best games ever. I'm sure you've paid plenty more for trash games you took a chance on if you're a gamer.

• gabbelgabbel Member UncommonPosts: 21

Thats footage from darkfall 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ol8wci7LWIQ , doesnt look like late 90 s. You cant compare it with major non mmo releases though.

Anyway if the most important things you look at is stuff like splashing water, darkfall isnt for you.

• ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586

Gamplay > graphics.  Always.

OP must be confused because all the DF:UW videos I've seen (pretty sure I've watched them all) look great.

http://www.darkfallonline.com/media/videos

• mdkmanmdkman Member UncommonPosts: 108
    The grafics in DF:UW is quite good for a MMO, But its not important, gameplay is what makes a game good or not.
  • indefindef Member UncommonPosts: 344

Another "I want good graphics over good gameplay" thread...

Things like WoW, SWTOR, GW2, and the other games you mentioned give you the same content re-hashed over and over and over and over and over presented to you in different ways and it looks GREAT.

I will admit, DF doesn't have the best graphics but the game looked pretty good for what it was.  Especially on maxxed settings like in that video "The Hunt" like others have mentioned.  Nobody played DF1 on maxxed settings because it would lag down your game and make you less efficient in combat, something nobody wanted.  Hopefully in the new game they have fixed the FPS problems so we can play with high graphics.

AV is an amazingly small company.  They have 55 employees.  Darkfall, by far, has the most content and developed features of any MMO that has ever been made.  FPS combat where aim and skill is most important, siege warfare with hundreds even thousands of players involved, city building/conquering/capturing, player housing, full loot risk:reward system, politics, player driven economy with famous crafters, and the list goes on.

You don't play Darkfall for the graphics.  You play Darkfall for the gameplay.  If there is anything you'd like to know about the game please feel free to send me a private message and you can come hop in vent/mumble.  I'll explain anything you'd like to know and link your videos/examples etc.

• therealeasytherealeasy Member Posts: 36

-