Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SERIOUS HELP needed, info below.

Comments

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by Woopin

Would not be the first company in the world to not put heat paste on the CPU just saying like.

This would also cause all them problems :)

Computer wouldnt get much further than POST if there was no thermal paste on it.

It does sound like a heating issue though.  I've seen some situations where the fans weren't facing the right direction, and so there was no real airflow, which resulting in the overheating.  

You make me like charity

Also, you mentioned replacing the mobo, but that's kind of a non-trivial part ot replace.  Care to elaborate?

You make me like charity

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

It's your CPU.

/thread.

Get it replaced.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    Originally posted by asmkm22

Also, you mentioned replacing the mobo, but that's kind of a non-trivial part ot replace.  Care to elaborate?

I have alot of family that are tech savvy, they didnt seem to run into any trouble taking it out and what not.  But alas, no results. 

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

Originally posted by Toxia

It's your CPU.

/thread.

Get it replaced.

Not that I dont believe you, but what led you to that?

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

Originally posted by Chrisbox

It's your CPU.

/thread.

Get it replaced.

i7 @ 3.4ghz ( IT CLOCKS ITSELF, WIERD AS ANYTHING )  It says right now its at like 3.9 hz and I havent touched it, then when I look at the advanced settings of easytune6 its constantly changing itself constantly the GH'z and BLCK are literally bouncing all over the place.  I dont understand it at all.

-Crashes after 1hour or so of gaming

-Slow and awkward startup

THINGS I HAVE DONE TO TROUBLESHOOT THESE PROBLEMS

-replace mobo, update bios

-replace PSU

-replace video card

-replace monitor

-Clean install of all drivers

All of this points to CPU. It was installed hastily, or was defective from start. I had similiar problems out of my i5 2500k before i got it replaced.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

It's your CPU.

/thread.

Get it replaced.

i7 @ 3.4ghz ( IT CLOCKS ITSELF, WIERD AS ANYTHING )  It says right now its at like 3.9 hz and I havent touched it, then when I look at the advanced settings of easytune6 its constantly changing itself constantly the GH'z and BLCK are literally bouncing all over the place.  I dont understand it at all.

-replace PSU

-replace video card

-replace monitor

All of this points to CPU. It was installed hastily, or was defective from start. I had similiar problems out of my i5 2500k before i got it replaced.

Interesting.  Did this also effect your graphical performance? aka Jagged lines everywhere/bad quality

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

Update: Went into BIOS, tried to make fan control manual but still wont let me, got my CPU to set power on : 3.4ghz like its supposed to, but it doesnt provide that, it still bounces around like I posted earlier. 

Went into Vtune, fan control, raised it up, but the fans did not speed up. 

Each core on my CPU is about 50C when running nothing, this is very hot and im sure it exceeds 60 during a game. 

Graphics are still odd and distorted, burning memtest86 to disk then will check for bad memory, other than that I think this CPU is the root of all evil.  Wish I knew what was making everything so hot.

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

It's your CPU.

/thread.

Get it replaced.

-replace PSU

-replace video card

-replace monitor

Interesting.  Did this also effect your graphical performance? aka Jagged lines everywhere/bad quality

CPU effects everything.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

It's your CPU.

/thread.

Get it replaced.

-replace PSU

-replace video card

-replace monitor

CPU effects everything.

Well If this Memory comes out to be clear then I know exactly what I need to replace. On a different note: My vtune wont listen to me, Im telling it to increase fan speed it doesnt, any idea's?

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• WoopinWoopin Member UncommonPosts: 1,012
    I would also say CPU. I mentioned no heat paste because of this but seen as the temps are fine then it has to be the CPU the only other culprit would have been the motherboard but you replaced that. 

I will add that you should totally stop messing with it at this point. Replace the CPU, then try again. Continuing to mess with a faulty CPU could damage your other hardware.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

Originally posted by Woopin
    I would also say CPU. I mentioned no heat paste because of this but seen as the temps are fine then it has to be the CPU the only other culprit would have been the motherboard but you replaced that. 

Well the temperatures are certainly rather high,  which I think is why The CPU compensates and bumps around lower, and also why I have to underclock my GPU.  Not warm enough to boil something but I dont think its normal either.  CPU = root of all evil. 

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

Here are the voltages by the way since someone mentioned it http://i.imgur.com/zt2FB.jpg

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

I have alot of family that are tech savvy, they didnt seem to run into any trouble taking it out and what not.  But alas, no results. 

You didn't really elaborate though... did you replace the mobo with the same kind?  did you just take it out and put it back in?  did you put an entirely different one in?  why in the world would you swap a mobo out before trying to swap a cpu out?

Do you have many USB devices plugged in while you play and, if so, have you tried to reproduce the problem without anything other than a mouse and keyboard in use?  How many case fans do you have, and what direction is the airflow for each one and where are those three located?

You make me like charity

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

58C for video card while gaming is not that bad.

I've seen you throw a lot of different numbers for your CPU around though; 28C is really really good, even at idle. 50C at idle is not good at all, and would indicate a problem with your heatsink or thermal compound - I'd really suspect the thermal compound if you had a motherboard replacement. Intel used to like to use Thermal pads instead of compound, and they can't be reused, they have to be scraped off clean and then have fresh thermal compound put down.

CPU clocks change a lot - they shouldn't bounce all over the place normally - they should steady in on a setting someplace according to their load and thermal situation. If the clock speed is nosediving, then it's probably overheating and trying to save itself. They will underclock once they hit about 95C internally, and literally shut themselves off (causing your PC to reboot or shut off) if they hit around 100C - and the motherboard BIOS may be set to underclock even more aggressively than that.

The fact that you had to underclock your video card is also a typical overheating situation. If your having problems with both your CPU and GPU - your case is probably at fault. Now the Dragonrider is a pretty big case, and if it has side-fans, you should be good (even if two of the fans were out). Sure you don't have the computer like sitting inside a closed cabinet, or setting against the side of a desk where it can't breath? Pull the computer case out in the open, take the sides off it completely, and see how it runs like that.

What motherboard did you put in the computer when you replaced it?

Aside from that - the fact that you can't manually control anything doesn't mean your computer is broken - it just means you haven't taken the time to take your meds and calm down enough to figure it out. Odds are most of them are plugged into static fan headers and are non-controllable anyway - the CPU and GPU fans are usually about the only one you can really control via software anyway (without having special fan controllers).

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

When computer crashes regualry it can be your bios and chipset drivers are outdated, it helps when you realy have latests bios and MB driver updates this can be one of issues you have with crashing.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

I would probably check to see if the cpu has thermal paste on it, just to be sure.

Honestly you have tinkered around with so much stuff without much of an idea of what actually to do with what you were messing with there is no telling whats wrong.

I would set everything back to stock speeds after I made sure the thermal paste was on the cpu. Then try and troubleshoot from stock settings. It doesnt sound like your gpu is over heating so not sure what your trying to adjust fan speeds for.

Did the computer work fine out of the gate and only start to mess up when you decided to tinker with stuff? Or was it a problem right from the start?

If right from the beginning I would pursue action, maybe a charge back from you CC company or banking institution. If you decided to change up settings and then it started to have problems then salvage what you can, mark this down as a lesson learned and move on.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

what mother board do you have, some of the ati boards will not suport more then 4gig of memory.  Also check the channels of your memory and make sure you have them in the right spots.  This sounds like either a bad mother board, incompatable memory, or a bad cpu.   I would think the mother board is bad, or incompatable with what they put in it.

I know I read several complaints where folks asked for stuff, got the stuff but later found out it was incompatable.

Originally posted by jdnewell

I would probably check to see if the cpu has thermal paste on it, just to be sure.

Honestly you have tinkered around with so much stuff without much of an idea of what actually to do with what you were messing with there is no telling whats wrong.

I would set everything back to stock speeds after I made sure the thermal paste was on the cpu. Then try and troubleshoot from stock settings. It doesnt sound like your gpu is over heating so not sure what your trying to adjust fan speeds for.

Did the computer work fine out of the gate and only start to mess up when you decided to tinker with stuff? Or was it a problem right from the start?

If right from the beginning I would pursue action, maybe a charge back from you CC company or banking institution. If you decided to change up settings and then it started to have problems then salvage what you can, mark this down as a lesson learned and move on.

It has done this since the day I got it.  The distorted graphics, and the crashing at normal clocks. The CPU cores burst up in temperature from 28C, sometimes going 50C idle in a second and i cant imagine what that could be with a game running.  I Have the GPU at stock speeds always, I just tossed in that its actually stable when I underclock them.  The CPU has a mind of its own so I cant really "set" anything for it. 

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

Originally posted by Ridelynn

58C for video card while gaming is not that bad.

I've seen you throw a lot of different numbers for your CPU around though; 28C is really really good, even at idle. 50C at idle is not good at all, and would indicate a problem with your heatsink or thermal compound - I'd really suspect the thermal compound if you had a motherboard replacement. Intel used to like to use Thermal pads instead of compound, and they can't be reused, they have to be scraped off clean and then have fresh thermal compound put down.

CPU clocks change a lot - they shouldn't bounce all over the place normally - they should steady in on a setting someplace according to their load and thermal situation. If the clock speed is nosediving, then it's probably overheating and trying to save itself. They will underclock once they hit about 95C internally, and literally shut themselves off (causing your PC to reboot or shut off) if they hit around 100C - and the motherboard BIOS may be set to underclock even more aggressively than that.

The fact that you had to underclock your video card is also a typical overheating situation. If your having problems with both your CPU and GPU - your case is probably at fault. Now the Dragonrider is a pretty big case, and if it has side-fans, you should be good (even if two of the fans were out). Sure you don't have the computer like sitting inside a closed cabinet, or setting against the side of a desk where it can't breath? Pull the computer case out in the open, take the sides off it completely, and see how it runs like that.

What motherboard did you put in the computer when you replaced it?

Aside from that - the fact that you can't manually control anything doesn't mean your computer is broken - it just means you haven't taken the time to take your meds and calm down enough to figure it out. Odds are most of them are plugged into static fan headers and are non-controllable anyway - the CPU and GPU fans are usually about the only one you can really control via software anyway (without having special fan controllers).

Ive taken the sides off and ran it, no difference.  The case has 2 top fans 1 side 1 back, and ontop of that theres a huge fan installed on the opposite side that spans the entire side I cant see how anymore fans could be needed.  Since my GPU doesnt seem to be shooting up, and also has two fans on it, I could never understand why underclocking it = stable PC. 

The mobo I had in was a GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD3-B3 LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel .  Nothing had changed, distorted graphics same crashing cycle, the BIOS were updated on that board as well.

Heres the problem with the fans- I could go into my VTUNE dashboard, and adjust fan speed to whatever I please I could make them mega fast or slow.  Now I cannot, for whatever reason it no longer lets me adjust them and they are always dynamic.  Ontop of that my LED blue light i had on the giant side fan is no longer activating if that helps. 

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

Originally posted by GroovyFlower

When computer crashes regualry it can be your bios and chipset drivers are outdated, it helps when you realy have latests bios and MB driver updates this can be one of issues you have with crashing.

I've updated the BIOS, and tried two mobo's.  The chance that they are both causing this problem seems highly unlikely to me unless theres some other factor involved. 

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

Originally posted by erictlewis

what mother board do you have, some of the ati boards will not suport more then 4gig of memory.  Also check the channels of your memory and make sure you have them in the right spots.  This sounds like either a bad mother board, incompatable memory, or a bad cpu.   I would think the mother board is bad, or incompatable with what they put in it.

I know I read several complaints where folks asked for stuff, got the stuff but later found out it was incompatable.

All my system specs are in the original post, its also not an ATI. 

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237
    Originally posted by GroovyFlower

I've updated the BIOS, and tried two mobo's.  The chance that they are both causing this problem seems highly unlikely to me unless theres some other factor involved. 

Is there thermal paste on the cpu? between fan and cpu?

Thats the 1st thing I would check

You didn't really elaborate though... did you replace the mobo with the same kind?  did you just take it out and put it back in?  did you put an entirely different one in?  why in the world would you swap a mobo out before trying to swap a cpu out?

Do you have many USB devices plugged in while you play and, if so, have you tried to reproduce the problem without anything other than a mouse and keyboard in use?  How many case fans do you have, and what direction is the airflow for each one and where are those three located?

The mobo that i put in to trouble shoot was a GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD3-B3 LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel mobo.  I do not own a 2nd cpu to use for troubleshooting purposes, with the direction this issue is taking there is a high probability that it will change.  I use a razer naga epic, and anasi keyboard USB's, other than the two top fans that plug into USB ports those are the only things that are plugged in.  I will try without the two fans plugged it, however I did not see that being something I should do when i saw my temperatures were very high.   

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL