Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Planetside 2 is NOT pay to win! Get it through your heads!

EnerzealEnerzeal Member Posts: 326

Medic class, TR, initial gun, T1 Cycler - best Medic gun.

Upgrade it through certifications, not purchased through the store - you cannot buy cert points. A membership of £9 or about $14.99, will grant you a 25% bonus to certificate gains. You can buy boosts, but the membership also gives 500 station cash which can buy you about 10 days worth of exp bonus. However the counter on the boosts continues while logged off, so the bonuses are very small.

The guns are ALL sidegrades, take the infiltrator class, the snipers come in three grades, the close, medium, and long range. The long range snipers are bolt actions or semi autos, which SUCK up close. The close range is the scout rifles which are much more effective at close range but TERRIBLE at long range.

Everything in this game, every gun, every cert comes with an upside and a downside. Buy a 2 shot burst rifle for the medic class? Lose out on your CQC possibilities. Cert it with a supresser? Lose out on long range shots.

If you believe that the game is pay to win you simply haven't played it enough yet, you don't understand it, or you have a bee in your bonnet about free to play in general.

Just a last note, I have free to play, because most stores are cons, most involve some kind of pay to win, Planetside 2 at most could be called a pay to progress faster game.

Comments

• zomard100zomard100 Member Posts: 228
    Sure it is not p2w, trolls will be always trolling :) do not take care about this kind of guys. PS2 developers made best f2p system i ever saw in any f2p mmo. Like i said before i have huge positive killing score without spending a single $, i only purcahsed alpha squad package
  • YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Unless every single item in a cash shop is purely costmetical then the game is to some degree Pay to Win.

Does it offer exp bonuses? Faster ways to get good weapons? Pay to Win. 

End of discussion.

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964
    Originally posted by Yamota

Unless every single item in a cash shop is purely costmetical then the game is to some degree Pay to Win.

End of discussion.

Edit... Hmmmm

• EdelbertEdelbert Member Posts: 67
    Originally posted by Enerzeal

Upgrade it through certifications, not purchased through the store - you cannot buy cert points. A membership of £9 or about $14.99, will grant you a 25% bonus to certificate gains.

So you can buy cert points.

The whole P2W topic is not up to debate, players have different opinions on what P2W is, you will have to accept it. Just because you say it is not, doesn't mean it isn't.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    For some folks, being able to purchase ways to progress more quickly fits into their definition of P2W. You won't change their minds by saying it isn't so.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• gordiflugordiflu Member UncommonPosts: 757
    Originally posted by Thane

End of discussion.

[mod edit]

Just becouse YOU think something is NOT defined in a specific way doesn't make it not true.

And trolling is exactly what you did, trying to flame somebody asking him to grow up instead of reasoning why you are disagreeing. All the fanbois have been using the term "trolling" so much that they have ended up twisting the actual meaning.

I agree with Yamota. If you can get any advantage with real money, it's pay to win by definition. Now we can discuss if such advantage it's a tolerable one or not, but we can not discuss this: you pay, you get any advantage -> pay to win.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Gw2 is p2w then

Both games are pay to level a little bit quicker.
  • samvenicesamvenice Member UncommonPosts: 153
    Originally posted by gordiflu

I agree with Yamota. If you can get any advantage with real money, it's pay to win by definition. Now we can discuss if such advantage it's a tolerable one or not, but we can not discuss this: you pay, you get any advantage -> pay to win.

So the advantage of what? getting a weapon that is for some aspect better than the starting one, and for some aspect worse than the starting one? There is no advantage here:

All weaps have stats allocated thru different attributes, there is no ultimate weapon. Mathematically speaking, they are all the same.

As for leveling up faster.. you can also not play and cert points will ramp up while you are offline.

and on a side note: I still kill and get killed by people 10+ ranks below me and 10+ ranks above, it's just that they play worse/better than me. [mod edit]

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

End of discussion.

Does it offer exp bonuses?  Not Pay to Win as it is time efficiency not advatage.

End of discussion.

• atuerstaratuerstar Member Posts: 234

I call it support4more. Support the game and you get more than the people who dont support it.

The people that expect welfare gaming to give them as many options as supported gaming need a reality check.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

End of discussion.

I don't agree on the XP bonus being Pay2Win, but everything else (extra credits for subbed players, liimited gear in cash shop) is somewhat Pay2Win in my book.

• DysmetriaDysmetria Member Posts: 17
    In my experience, P2W is the excuse those that do not pay and lose use. 
  • gekidogekido Member UncommonPosts: 66
    Originally posted by Dysmetria
    In my experience, P2W is the excuse those that do not pay and lose use. 

^ 100%

And you know what, **** them.   Drop $5-10 on a game you love and stop complaining.  Or sit there and be a f'ing freeloader your whole life and expect shit to be handed to you.  Then when you still get your damn face stomped in you'll have to find some other excuse.  Because in the case of PS2, that's all it is, an excuse.  I am alpha squad and I still use all the default weapons because I am so used to them at this point.  To top it off I'm apparenlty playing the most gimped faction and using the most gimped guns, NC.  Going by that logic, I should be getting paid for how awesome I really am.

• radagast777radagast777 Member Posts: 80
    nah its pay to win
  • elvenwolfelvenwolf Member UncommonPosts: 146

Honestly, i don't see any pay to win in this game.

Nothing give you absolute advantage, everything have pros and cons, all depend on how you want to grow your character, but a good just arrived player can take down an high battle rank, have seen it happen often.

Is the perfect game? No, but surely you can throw thuosands of dollars at the cash shop and you will not be better than anyone else for it.

Looking cooler? Yeah, powerful stomper? No.

You want to win, play in team, that's the only way, unload your wallet on the cash shop all day long and you'll be at square one anyway.

Most of the higher certificates anyway make sense only if you teamplay, as medic i want the revive granade or the healing one, will spending 600 certificates make me  a powerhouse? No will make me able to help my team better, and so on.

• NakedFuryNakedFury Member UncommonPosts: 411

End of discussion.

Not true in Planetside 2.

Pay to Win also means that cash is absolutely necessary, not the case in Planetside 2. It also means that when up against a cash shop item you always lose, not the case in Planetside 2.

Allods Online = Pay to WIn

Runes of Magic = Pay to win

Planetside 2 = Pay for convenience

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Edelbert
    Originally posted by Enerzeal

Upgrade it through certifications, not purchased through the store - you cannot buy cert points. A membership of £9 or about $14.99, will grant you a 25% bonus to certificate gains.

So you can buy cert points.

The whole P2W topic is not up to debate, players have different opinions on what P2W is, you will have to accept it. Just because you say it is not, doesn't mean it isn't.

You can not buy certs. You have to earn them.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

End of discussion.

Thats means the following games are P2W as well since they host a monthly fee as well as F2P system without dropping a dime into the game.

AO, EQ, EQ2, SWTOR, DDO, DCU and AoC

So lets face it, WoW is the only one that isn't P2W since it doesnt have F2P option by your definition of P2W.

Now go and play APB, that my gaming friend is a P2W system, not Planetside 2.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Most importantly looking at the post history of those Trolling ps2

If ps2 is pay to win then so is gw2
  • EnerzealEnerzeal Member Posts: 326
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

Flawless Victory.

• joeballsjoeballs Member UncommonPosts: 163
    PS2 is absolutely not p2w. I can be just as powerful as anyone else in the game without spending a dime. Best f2p model I've seen yet.
  • aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

Yeah you are right I think. Seems quite a few of those same people who are trolling ps2 are the very same who troll gw2.

I guess they want to play for free, but also want to look good in game as well, and thinks those items that looks good are also OP (which in fact is the same shit but different setup).

I guess they don't realise SOE is a business and thought they are bittorrent hosters, lol

• DobeyxxlDobeyxxl Member Posts: 11
    Originally posted by joeballs
    PS2 is absolutely not p2w. I can be just as powerful as anyone else in the game without spending a dime. Best f2p model I've seen yet.

As children our mothers told many of us that we could be anything that we want to be, lol. Well perhaps some still believe the fairytale but most people grow up and learn to understand how the world really works.

In theory a free player in Planetside 2 can earn all the perks that a pay to win player does but only with 100% MORE WORK.

Truth be told Sony as of right now enables cash shop players to buy 50% xp and resource boosts and enables them to stack them with their subscription boosts resulting in a 100% boost.

Truth be told upgrading is essential for all classes and especially for vehicles and aircraft .

Where I come from a 100% boost to rewards sure does sound like pay to win to me, its not like Sony is just selling cosmetic items in their cash shop. They are selling performance items also.

Sadly this isn't even the biggest problem the game has right now , the hacking is.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Robokapp
    maybe it's not pay to win, but how expensive is it to enjoy? that's what I care about...

Shouldn't cost you a dime to enjoy. I've spent about $40 and still can't kill anyone 1v1 within 20 meters. image...(I'm blaming it on my naga going bad...) unless I'm in my lightning. In all honesty, only 2 of the weapons I've bought have been worth imo. 

There is no magic weapon for sale... 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Goll25Goll25 Member UncommonPosts: 187
    Not sure it even could be considering the way it's played (fps). Maybe pay 2 make more convienant or improve longevity. Not so much "win"