Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why oh why... FPS kills it for me

YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

Well. What can I say. I'm actually quiet interested in sandbox MMOs with FFA PvP and territorial warfare.

However, I cannot stand FPS-gameplay in a MMO when we're talking about large battles with hundreds of players on the battlefield.
There's no way you can actually get a good overview of the battlefield, and there's no way for actual focus-fire, etc.

So FPS is actually a dealbreaker for me, as it takes away the tactical precision I'm used to from DAoC and EvE Online.

Comments

• RealPvPisFPSRealPvPisFPS Member Posts: 42

Why should that be a deal breaker? Maybe it's a deal breaker for the people who rely on scripting to PvP but for the honest players it will force you to actually use your skill on the keyboard and mouse instead of your character's skill. Sounds like these guys built a solid game gonna have to check it out. This is the way PvP should be.

Oh and for the scriptors out there you can always try aimbot or the invincible hacks, heh.

• shawn01shawn01 Member UncommonPosts: 166

Based on the videos ive seen, the only time you are in first person is when you are using ranged attacks. I myself prefer 3rd person view. I wish there were more options available for the view.

On the other hand, I'm sorta glad that they aren't making the game based on what players ask for. Companies have been making games based on what the vocal minority is asking for, and we keep getting WoW clones. Even if this game isn't exactly what I want it to be, I applaud the makers for sticking to their vision and making something different from the crappy sameness of the previous 20 big releases.

I'm hoping ill get used to the close in camera position.

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Originally posted by RealPvPisFPS

Maybe it's a deal breaker for the people who rely on scripting to PvP.

He said he was used to EVE, is that how you would describe EVE's pvp?

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

Why should that be a deal breaker? Maybe it's a deal breaker for the people who rely on scripting to PvP but for the honest players it will force you to actually use your skill on the keyboard and mouse instead of your character's skill. Sounds like these guys built a solid game gonna have to check it out. This is the way PvP should be. Oh and for the scriptors out there you can always try aimbot or the invincible hacks, heh.

That's not what I wrote there.

My point is that FPS doesn't give you the option to scroll out and overview the battlefield aswell as no option to focus fire opponents.

I'm used to tactical warfare, especially with hundreds of players on the battlefield. I'm used to analyzing the situation and start picking targets based on their threat.

• hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604
    I am pretty sure they said there are 3 different camera angles you could use.  3rd person being one of them
  • ThaliostThaliost Member UncommonPosts: 104
    Originally posted by Yalexy

Why should that be a deal breaker? Maybe it's a deal breaker for the people who rely on scripting to PvP but for the honest players it will force you to actually use your skill on the keyboard and mouse instead of your character's skill. Sounds like these guys built a solid game gonna have to check it out. This is the way PvP should be.

Oh and for the scriptors out there you can always try aimbot or the invincible hacks, heh.

My point is that FPS doesn't give you the option to scroll out and overview the battlefield aswell as no option to focus fire opponents.

I'm used to tactical warfare, especially with hundreds of players on the battlefield. I'm used to analyzing the situation and start picking targets based on their threat.

So... you are playing a "human" character in medieval times (with magic in it) and you would like to get a tactical overview of the battlefield?

That sounds like you are complaining just for the sake of complaining...

And you say it's impossible to focus fire? Why is that?

Whatever you are used to, just try the game and decide for yourself what you can and cannot do.

If you already tried DF1, it's worth trying again because there are many changes that make the game more friendly to people, namely, 3rd person view even for ranged casting and archery.

Immortals [EU] - Darkfall Clan: http://immortals-online.eu/

Read my "funny" DF1 blog: http://casualdarkfall.blogspot.com

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610

You can do that in FPS. You just have to move about instead of staying stationary. I can totally understand 3rd/isometric view for rts games where your controlling multiple units.

All 3rd person does in an RPG/FPS game is make the game easier IMO.

• hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604
    forgot to mention I doubt you can zoom out all the way like in EVE.  I think they are going for a more realistic approach where you can only see what you are actually looking at in game
  • MorydinMorydin Member UncommonPosts: 78
    First person view is not the only camera option available......
  • gekidogekido Member UncommonPosts: 66
    Thanks for this really informative and important forum post.  We were very curious as to why you weren't going to play Darkfall.
  • JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

Well. What can I say. I'm actually quiet interested in sandbox MMOs with FFA PvP and territorial warfare.

However, I cannot stand FPS-gameplay in a MMO when we're talking about large battles with hundreds of players on the battlefield.
    There's no way you can actually get a good overview of the battlefield, and there's no way for actual focus-fire, etc.

So FPS is actually a dealbreaker for me, as it takes away the tactical precision I'm used to from DAoC and EvE Online.

yes it is harder to "situationally aware" with a fps view then a 3rd person view.

Yes it is possible to focuse fire from a fps view, i have done it countless times in all FPS games i've played.

i understand that you just dont like FPS combat. It's perfectly ok, there hundreds if not thousand of 3rd person tab targeting mmos to chose from. Bye

To those who don't understand "focus fire".

Focus fire means, that I can call an enemy target and have all my troops attack this specific target.

In a FPS that seems quiet impossible tho, as there's no way to to have all your troops hit that one announced target without there being a way to lock onto the target.

I'm enjoying FPS-games and I'm currently playing Borderlands 2 and have lots of fun there, but with hundreds of players it just becomes a mess imho.

I read about the changes for ranged classes having added 3rd person view, but that's not helping that much as limited as the zoom-out is and you still can't highlight and lock on to specific targets.

Territorial warfare with hundreds of players is simpy not alot of fun, if there's no possibility for a tactical overview of the battlefield and focus fire.

Anyways, that's just my POV.

• corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341
    there's a spell that used to be called "Beacon", that tags a person, and makes an animated flare hover over them

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

---------------------------

• DoomtecDoomtec Member Posts: 32

To those who don't understand "focus fire".

Focus fire means, that I can call an enemy target and have all my troops attack this specific target.

In a FPS that seems quiet impossible tho, as there's no way to to have all your troops hit that one announced target without there being a way to lock onto the target.

I'm enjoying FPS-games and I'm currently playing Borderlands 2 and have lots of fun there, but with hundreds of players it just becomes a mess imho.

I read about the changes for ranged classes having added 3rd person view, but that's not helping that much as limited as the zoom-out is and you still can't highlight and lock on to specific targets.

Territorial warfare with hundreds of players is simpy not alot of fun, if there's no possibility for a tactical overview of the battlefield and focus fire.

Anyways, that's just my POV.

Competitive FPS gamers have been using focus fire for literally decades. It's called "aim".

If you want a tactical view of the battle, climb a hill or get up on a rock or something.

Darkfall, for those who get into the meta game, is the ultimate RTS.

• shawn01shawn01 Member UncommonPosts: 166
    First person view is not more realistic imo because the angle of view is too small. 3rd person view gives a more realistic angle. I can see clearly in about 140 or 150 degrees, with an extra 15 degrees on each side of blurry peripheral vision.
  • BuniontToesBuniontToes Member Posts: 529

Beacon wasn't very effective  in DFO 1.

I  have called a few battles for some large allainces at that.  Battlefield overview is a combination off positioning, scouting, and knowing the terraiin.  Battlefield awareness is crucial in this game far more than any tab-target MMO.

This is made even more important by collision detection.

Strategy andd tactics are required when calling a siege.  If you don't use them you will get wiped in a hurry.

• BuniontToesBuniontToes Member Posts: 529
    Originally posted by shawn01
    First person view is not more realistic imo because the angle of view is too small. 3rd person view gives a more realistic angle. I can see clearly in about 140 or 150 degrees, with an extra 15 degrees on each side of blurry peripheral vision.

let skip the "realism"  angle.  Just as in real life you can turn your head and people can talk.

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

I don't think Conan, Legolas, blah blah [insert fantasy character here] were able to zoom out for situational awareness.

I think this adds to the depth.  You get someone on high ground to shout out orders.  It leads to recon etc.  I think it is a good thing.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Originally posted by BuniontToes

Beason wasn't very effective  in DFO 1.

I  have called a few battles for some large allainces at that.  Battlefield overview is a combination off positioning, scouting, and knowing the terraiin.  Battlefield awareness is crucial in this game far more than any tab-target MMO.

This is made even more important by collision detection.

Strategy andd tactics are required when calling a siege.  If you don't use them you will get wiped in a hurry.

What he said.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• Burning25Burning25 Member Posts: 24
    Uh we have target callers and focus fire all the time. Any siege leader worth a grain of salt will be calling targets. Just because you can't tab target doesn't mean you cannot focus fire. If someone isn't calling targets in a darkfall group prepare to lose every fight.

It's less about player names like your traditional tab target mmo and more about positioning and landscape. A generic, simplified example would be "target the dwarf who is overextending on the left." Even in massive sieges targets are called. It just takes more skill, positioning awareness and quick reactions rather than just pushing an assist button.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

First person combat view takes huge element of RPG away imo but I guess some people like it...never understood why tho, it feels just like a shooter and melee combat is ridiculous.

• JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

there's no way for actual focus-fire, etc

Care to explain this? Cant see any basis for this opinion. darkfall pvp was all about focus firing.

My blog: image

• gabbelgabbel Member UncommonPosts: 21

Focus fire in darkfall, happens at most sieges at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfsGWrHjitE&feature=player_detailpage&list=UUo60CdFsc9dGl67qkDLhGGw#t=300s

cant find a longer vid atm.

Originally posted by Consensus
    Originally posted by Yalexy there's no way for actual focus-fire, etc
    Care to explain this? Cant see any basis for this opinion. darkfall pvp was all about focus firing.

call playername -> have all allies target said player -> boom!

In Darkfall this is not possible, especially when you look at 50 players infront of you who look all the same.

Originally posted by gabbel
    Focus fire in darkfall, happens at most sieges at least.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfsGWrHjitE&feature=player_detailpage&list=UUo60CdFsc9dGl67qkDLhGGw#t=300scant find a longer vid atm.

Only possible, when there's single targets. Now try picking single players out of a group.