Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need a Sandbox MMO

ThidiasThidias Member Posts: 23
I'm looking for the best sandbox MMO out there. I have plenty of Theme Park MMOs to play, including Vanguard, EQ2, Vindictus, etc. but I really need something new and fresh, and sandboxes are just where its at. I'm looking forward to Darkfall Unholy Wars, but for right now I'm looking for something thats free. I'm getting Guild Wars 2 for Christmas, so yet another themepark, but if I can find a F2P Sandbox that would make my life complete. If it is pay to play still mention it and I might buy it, I'm definetely not against buying a good game. Any suggestions will help immensly, thank you.

Comments

• ThidiasThidias Member Posts: 23
    2 that look semi interesting are Ryzom and Wurm Online. However, are these games actually worth investing the time into? I want a game that actually matters, a game that people talk about and play often, a game with a large and helpful community, something worthwhile. And besides these 2, are there any other really good ones out there. I already have Fallen Earth dled and its alright, but I'm really looking for something medieval and fantasy based.
  • KanylKanyl Member UncommonPosts: 252

Sorry, but there are none. Those that you have mentioned, are pretty much what we have for the moment. Some would say EvE Online, but that's not fantasy, nor medieval. You have Mortal Online, that fits your description, but that game is pretty much trash, if you ask a lot of players (I can't say anything about it, because I have not tried it). Also, there is Xsyon, which is more like Wurm Online. But, here aresome few sanboxes that are coming in a "near future":

* Origins of Malu

* Xsyon: Apocalypse (next part of the game)

* ArcheAge

* Ember of Caerus

* The Repopulation

* Greed Monger 

* Pathfinder Online

I am currently looking forward to The Repopulation, Greed Monger and most of all: Origins of Malu!

EDIT: Forgott Darkfall: Unholy Wars and Everquest Next! The problem is, that Darkfall isj ust like a open big PvP arena and not som uch PvE sandbox elements and so on, BUT Everquest Next WILL be the No.1 mmorpg in the future, IF they can nail everything! Proof: EQ1 and EQ2 are great games!

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I'd play minecraft with some of the multiplayer mods and wait on df release.
  • kanezfankanezfan Member UncommonPosts: 482

Minecraft on a multiplayer server. You start out with nothing and a lot of them are FFA pvp.

• kingotnwkingotnw Member UncommonPosts: 103
    DFUW is already on your radar, so there's that... That's about it though. Next sandbox with any sort of expectations at ll is EQnext. Given what you listed though, I fail to understand why you are bothering with GW2 even as a gift. It's pretty much the opposite of what you are asking for, it is themepark to the extreme.
  • hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604
    I played wurm for  a couple hours last night after reading the interview on here (while waiting for darkfall to patch) that game is the defininitoin of a sandbox
  • birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314

If you want something different from all yhe other games, try EVE. It may not be free, but it's really fun if you join a good corporation (guild). And they have a 15 day trial where you can play for free (with some limitation on skills you can train).

And one good thing, is you still train skills while offline (dont worry, theres a crap ton of them, so u wont run out of things to train).

If you're into PvP, I'd suggest joining Red v. Blue, they are two corps that constantly battle each other and make it really easy for newcommers and veterans alike to quickly get a taste of or hone thier PvP skills. They can even provide you with ships if you need that kind of help.

For a general game assistance and help, you might want to join EVE Untiversity. They are corp designed to help newcommers get started in the game.

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    Originally posted by Kanyl

Sorry, but there are none. Those that you have mentioned, are pretty much what we have for the moment. Some would say EvE Online, but that's not fantasy, nor medieval. You have Mortal Online, that fits your description, but that game is pretty much trash, if you ask a lot of players (I can't say anything about it, because I have not tried it). Also, there is Xsyon, which is more like Wurm Online. But, here aresome few sanboxes that are coming in a "near future":

* Origins of Malu

* ArcheAge

* Ember of Caerus

* The Repopulation

* Greed Monger 

* Pathfinder Online

I am currently looking forward to The Repopulation, Greed Monger and most of all: Origins of Malu!

EDIT: Forgott Darkfall: Unholy Wars and Everquest Next! The problem is, that Darkfall isj ust like a open big PvP arena and not som uch PvE sandbox elements and so on, BUT Everquest Next WILL be the No.1 mmorpg in the future, IF they can nail everything! Proof: EQ1 and EQ2 are great games!

You are missing about a dozen and a half sandboxes on the way lol. Post them all, dont be shy.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    They just don't make many sandbox games anymore, even though there are a lot of people that desire them over themeparks. It's quite sad.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

Originally posted by Tayah
    They just don't make many sandbox games anymore, even though there are a lot of people that desire them over themeparks. It's quite sad.

There are 2 dozen sandboxes inbound within the next 2 years. The industry is changing, game companies (some) are starting to change. Some of these sandboxes are even AAA. So things are looking up. Once they arrive, we may see themeparks getting better as well since there will be a competition that we havent seen in a long time. Themeparks have kind of dominated the genre for awhile and kept decreasing the value of a mmorpg. Now with a wider variety of mmorpg's this may change and both themepark and sandbox junkies may get better products finaly.

• TuyetTuyet Member Posts: 135
     Like the others have said the only really successful Sandbox is EVE online, if you want early PvP and combat EVE will give you that if you join those Corps mentioned. Ryzom and Wurm are both nice games but very niche, small population games. I played Ryzom myself and loved it for years. Ryzom has Free play to lev 125 ( lev 250 max ) with limited but reasonable storage for free. Ryzom's high points are the crafting, harvesting, and wildlife AI. Ryzom was an AAA game that came out around WoW release time but hasn't been comercially successful and has been devalued down to where it has like indie support. Ryzom's a nice choice if your want something free till a new game that interests you more comes out. Wurm online is good too. Repopulation might work if you can get in the Beta.
  • joojoo1975joojoo1975 Member UncommonPosts: 275

the problem with sandboxes is that the majority of players are still on that "IV" of spoonfed themepark.  Most of my workm8s have gone back to Kung Fu Warcraft. not because WOW has fixed it's glaring problems with flavor of the month and inbalance, but because all thier friends are still there and they know the mechanics of the game(not to mention they have like a gazillion chars so there is always at least 1 of ther chars that's in the limelight, so to speak)

Now the next problem is since most Sandboxes are indie, they're riddeled with problems.  here's some to name a few.

Haven and hearth  Blatent hacking, Horrible lag(takes 20 minutes to do 5 minutes of actual work)

Ryzom  Dead world, crafting was lacking(though this may be dated as i haven't played it in a while)

Wurm  Dead PVP world, the PVE world isn't far behind and the skillups take too long for both of them, as well it still feels like an alpha

this is why i still like playing Dwarf Fotress

To Protect The Helpless From The Heartless

• NacarioNacario Member UncommonPosts: 222
    Age of wulin is out soon
    Originally posted by joojoo1975

the problem with sandboxes is that the majority of players are still on that "IV" of spoonfed themepark.  Most of my workm8s have gone back to Kung Fu Warcraft. not because WOW has fixed it's glaring problems with flavor of the month and inbalance, but because all thier friends are still there and they know the mechanics of the game(not to mention they have like a gazillion chars so there is always at least 1 of ther chars that's in the limelight, so to speak)

Now the next problem is since most Sandboxes are indie, they're riddeled with problems.  here's some to name a few.

Haven and hearth  Blatent hacking, Horrible lag(takes 20 minutes to do 5 minutes of actual work)

Ryzom  Dead world, crafting was lacking(though this may be dated as i haven't played it in a while)

Wurm  Dead PVP world, the PVE world isn't far behind and the skillups take too long for both of them, as well it still feels like an alpha

this is why i still like playing Dwarf Fotress

Problem is the mmorpgs have deevolved so far in the past 8 years or so. Themepark games have dominated the industry due to WOW's success and thats all that has been pumped out. Over time these themeparks have been dumbed down adn rushed out, lacking a lot of mmorpg features. Now we basicaly have singleplayer games with multiplayer function.

Since then only about 5 sandboxes have come out, considering the 387 themeparks. So the sandboxes will need time to get back up to speed. Majority of the sandboxes released have been indie, correct. But the newer ones coming out several are AAA. And also remember that most the major game companies today started out as indie. Like Bioware for example, started with just 3 people and made games, and made a name for itself. They graduated from medical school and ended up being game developers lol.

Now with a large portion of sandboxes coming, it will provide a wider variety of games, which in turn will cause competition, and hopefuly better themeparks and sandboxes for us. But will take time, but as more and more older features hit the market, i do hope many will want these over the linear games mmorpgs have become.

And you did pick 3 bad examples of sandboxes lol.

• corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

Xsyon, Mortal Online & Wurm are the only ones i can think of atm that are released & F2P.

maybe you can get into the Salem beta testing. 

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

---------------------------

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by Kanyl

* Origins of Malu

* ArcheAge

* Ember of Caerus

* The Repopulation

* Greed Monger 

* Pathfinder Online

ArcheAge is a hybrid not a sandbox MMO.

OP. if you want a hybrid mmo to play now which has some great features that have never been seen in any mmo to date then you should get yourself into the Age Of Wushu beta.

Plus have a look in this forum for some great info.

FFA PVP open world with clan vs clan warfare.

PVE dungeons

Best items in the game are player crafted, if you craft a blade then you need a woodworker to craft the handle.

Prison system

Public executions system..beheading. stat loss for 24 hours.

Farming

Offline system--run your stall or earn points for doing numerous activitys also be exposed to kidnapping and sold into slavery.

The list goes on.

This all happens in a beautiful world based on feudal china, no over the top weapons or giggling characters with high heels on in this game, it's seriously game play.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/749/view/forums/thread/371858/Age-Of-Wushu-PvP-Age-Of-Wulin-PvP.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJP3PgzodFU

Hybrid, lol, everytime someone says that i can not help myself and lmao.

Sandbox incorporates everything themepark and more. Cant be a hybrid when a sandbox already has it lol. You can speak of a themepark having sandbox traits but not the other way around. It offer all the features and new systems that all scream sandbox.

This game is open world, indepth, pvp, pve, crafting, housing, quests, story, and everything in between.... it is a sandbox. How again do you consider this a hybrid? Because it has quests? Sandbox games have quests lol. Story? Sandbox games have story and lore. Nothing a themepark has, a sandbox hasnt already done. Matter of fact with archeage you will see several new innovative systems coming along with it. Again how is this even related to the themeparks of today?

The only people calling it a hybrid are the players and personal blogs. All the main sites, including the AA site and interviews call it a sandbox. Just wondering how people get hybrid lol.

I dont think ArcheAge is a full sandbox mmo especially when Age Of Wushu is a hybrid mmo. If ArcheAge is a sandbox mmo then Age Of Wushu must be a sandbox mmo, it's actually more freeform than ArcheAge.

Vanguard is a hybrid as well.

Think i can actually find a quote from Jake actually discribing ArcheAge as a hybrid or a mmo that has themepark and sandbox features,laugh all you want but ArcheAhge is not a sandbox mmo.

What our the new systems in ArcheAge?

By the way i'm a follower of the game.

explain the hybrid part.

sandbox has it all, how can a sandbox be a hybrid when it already has all the features, story, questss, indepth game, crafting, housing, open world, etc... all the things that make a sandbox.

Originally posted by Onomas

explain the hybrid part.

sandbox has it all, how can a sandbox be a hybrid when it already has all the features, story, questss, indepth game, crafting, housing, open world, etc... all the things that make a sandbox.

Is Vanguard a sandbox MMIO?

And what are these news features coming with ArcheAge?

• ThidiasThidias Member Posts: 23

Well, reading all this, I'm going to try and get into some betas. I've actually been debating buying the PAID DF:UW beta :/

But, i'm going to try and get into the Wushu and Repopulation betas, and I can't wait for EQ Next! I know about all the sandboxes coming out in the near future, I just wanna play something now dammit!

• ltankltank Member UncommonPosts: 293
    Check out Mortal Online.
  • SorcerousKhanSorcerousKhan Member UncommonPosts: 164

I'll second ltank. Mortal Online is the only true sandbox fantasy MMORPG that I know of that's currently on the market.

If you're open to sci-fantasy MMORPGs, Wildstar promises to be a sandpark hybrid and is worth looking at.

The Repopulation has my full and undivided attention, but it's sci-fi, and won't be released until late in 2013. If you played Star Wars: Galaxies, you can read my comparison here:

http://www.dicejockey.com/2012/12/succeeding-star-wars-galaxies.html

Other than that.... EQ Next may be the only polished fantasy sandbox MMO worth looking at in the next three years. Only time will tell.

• hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604
    I have an age of wushu beta key still that I can send your way, pm me to verify you want it.
  • btraillbtraill Member UncommonPosts: 97
    I would recommend Runescape. I'm currently playing it and with all these recent updates and money from American investors the game is "main-streaming" with a ton of great updates.