Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best MMORPG you've ever played

After seeing many negative threads about worst Mmorpg's, terrible games, etc. it's time to turn that frown upside down and start a positive thread for once (shocking I know). 

So ladies and gentlemen please give your opinions on what was the best MMORPG you have ever played? 

Also give a few reasons why it's the best. Thanks.

I will start, I know it's not popular and today the version of it doesn't interest me but the best mmorpg I've ever played is WoW. I started at the start of bc and played until the start of cata. I loved the world, the quests, the dungeons, the raids even the arenas. Of course over time that changed and the game is something I don't recognize now but that's what drew me in and kept me playing for 3 1/2 years.

Comments

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Same here, WoW kept me entertained longer than any other MMO so far, so it is technically the "best" I've played.  Like you, I'm not interested in the game these days, however.

But when it was new, I was constantly surprised by just how fun everything was and how easy it was to meet new friends.  Unlike any other game I've played since, the story seemed to have a sense of urgency (particularly Wotlk) and it was as close as I've come to playing a true long-term epic with so many other people.

• Goll25Goll25 Member UncommonPosts: 187

I started and left WoW at the same time you stated (though I play again, cause mists is great..) and have to agree, tbc to wrath was the best MMO experience I have had. I missed out on some great games prior too it, do to not being able to pay monthly. I went to free alternatives, my first MMO being tibia :p.

Edit: Why wow?

Polish, and well established lore. It felt like a real world, and exploring when I first started out was amazing, I remember taking a flight path past stormwind and seeing the burning steppes and being blown away with excitement. The world seemed so huge do to how travel was back then, i remember thinking the only way to get around was having a mage port you :p. Just the sheer scale of the game, smoothness, and story, I was blown away. I won't even talk end games of any expansion, because the best part was questing with a couple friends, finding out how to play the game, and just discovering. I'd take that innocence back anyday. I had played plenty of MMOs before it, and while I was always excited about them, I don't think anything was as mysterious or HUGE as wow was when I started out. Plus that "first walk into stormwind feel!" ;)

• rivetman13rivetman13 Member Posts: 34

EQ1

If it was something my girlfriend enjoyed as much as I did, I would still be playing it. I find myself trying to get that rush I used to get from EQ1 back in the kunark era in other games and just have never been able to come close.

Fondest memories, my favorite characters, most accounts haha. EQ1 wins hands down for me.

There will only be 1 first love in MMOs and for me, EQ1 is it.

• MavolenceMavolence Member UncommonPosts: 635
    Ultima Online followed closely by EVE
  • Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059

1) Pure PVE Play (Questing, Dungeons, Story) - The Secret World.

2) Hybrid Play (Exploration, PVP, Crafting) - EVE Online.

3) Pure PVP Play  - League of Legends.

While the mentioned games include other features, that's what I love them for.

• YukmarcYukmarc Member UncommonPosts: 165

Ultima Online BEFORE Origin was shut down by EA and Dark Age of Camelot. Everything else has been crap.

• AxehandleAxehandle Member Posts: 147
    Originally posted by Mavolence
    Ultima Omline gollowed closrly by EVE

Never played UO but I love hearing stories of how gamers used to plan for days even weeks how to kill Lord British. 

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

I guess the "best" MMORPGs Ive played would be those I stayed in the longest

SWG

EQ1

CoX

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

SWG far and away the best ive played.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

1) Vanilla WoW

2) Dungeons & Dragons Online ( before f2p, not after )

3) Vanguard, several years after release ( before f2p, not after )

4) EQ2, but never could break into all the guild clicks, so that turned me off ( before f2p, not after )

[mod edit]

• YukmarcYukmarc Member UncommonPosts: 165
    Originally posted by Axehandle
    Originally posted by Mavolence
    Ultima Omline gollowed closrly by EVE

Never played UO but I love hearing stories of how gamers used to plan for days even weeks how to kill Lord British. 

I remember that one, but my favorite was when The Pirates Of Blackwater hacked the UO site and put their guild banner across the UO logo on the UO website.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

So many picking WoW that must have played it as their first MMO.

If you think WoW felt like a real virtual world experience, with all its handholding, automap, instancing, and systemized quests, you would have lost your collective minds with UO, DAoC, AC, and EQ.

• Rider071Rider071 Member Posts: 318

EQ1, the community today is still a bunch of elitist bastards, but there are remnants of those who ran from hill giants and Sargeant Slate in '99 still around. One of the greatest worlds ever created in our genre, hands down.

SWG, in it's first incarnation, nothing could have taken this behemoth down, cept themselves, which they did very shortly after release. "Don't bring a knife to a gun fight", that remark destroyed an entire game, and the following patches and nerfs destroyed one of the most fun open world/player made cities ever dreamed of. A shame they never just said, 'we were wrong' and put everything back, but..well, I guess we see how that decision went for them.

DAoC, before the release of Atlantis (ToA) this was by far the most unbelieveable game. The rivalries between the 3 realms and the communities were insanely rich and full of emotions. The relic wars were crazed and when a Call to Arms was made, you and everyone you knew went running. this was the greatest game I had ever played. Then they released the Trials of Atlantis crap, and took a great RvR game and devolved it into a PvE grind fest. End of great game.

I've played almost every MMO since then released, but none left the impressions these 3 had done. Still play EQ1 this very day, but am awaiting the release of NeverWinter. If it wasn't for the Forgoten Realms I would have never been involved in MMOs. If EQ1 had a ftp matrix like they had in EQ2 Extended I wouldn't even be looking at NeverWinter honestly.

Originally posted by DavisFlight

So many picking WoW that must have played it as their first MMO.

If you think WoW felt like a real virtual world experience, with all its handholding, automap, instancing, and systemized quests, you would have lost your collective minds with UO, DAoC, AC, and EQ.

WOW may not be the best game but it has one thing going for it with new players to the genre in particular: It's just simple, straight forward. "fun" that can occupy you for a good while compared to "most "other games. I would not be suprised if it wins out in thread.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by rivetman13
    EQ1If it was something my girlfriend enjoyed as much as I did, I would still be playing it. I find myself trying to get that rush I used to get from EQ1 back in the kunark era in other games and just have never been able to come close.Fondest memories, my favorite characters, most accounts haha. EQ1 wins hands down for me.There will only be 1 first love in MMOs and for me, EQ1 is it.

this^^^

although it may not be technically the best game ever, it was for sure my favorite.

for me it is......

1. EQ1

2. Daoc

3. WOW vanilla

4. EQ2

5. SWTOR (yes i said it lol)

• rivetman13rivetman13 Member Posts: 34
    Originally posted by Crazy_Stick

I am a hair trigger from just buying TSW and forcing myself to give it a real try. Your post makes me think I really should b/c those things you list are my fav parts of a MMO. Is there a crafting system worth a crap in it?

hehe sorry dont mean to hijack the thread, EQ1 still my fav 8P

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

I stayed the longest in WoW, late Vanilla and for a long time in Burning Crusade, came back in Cataclysm for only about 2 months but TERA i've probably played longer, been in TERA since the first closed BETA with only a one month break in GW2. Oh wait, forgot Runescape, I played that game on/off throughout my school years with many friends, for an entire 8 years.

WoW was probably just shy of a year, TERA is at 10 months and counting and Runescape was for 8 years.

So...

Runescape.

TERA.

WoW Vanilla/BC.

Hopefully Darkfall:UW or Archeage can be sandboxy enough to keep me for a few years... but time will tell.

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,106
    My personal favs are tied between UO and DAOC. Worthy mention goes to Darkfall and SWG. SWG would of been up there but I honestly didn't get enough time with it due to real life at the time.
  • IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509
    Originally posted by Axehandle

After seeing many negative threads about worst Mmorpg's, terrible games, etc. it's time to turn that frown upside down and start a positive thread for once (shocking I know). 

So ladies and gentlemen please give your opinions on what was the best MMORPG you have ever played? 

Also give a few reasons why it's the best. Thanks.

I will start, I know it's not popular and today the version of it doesn't interest me but the best mmorpg I've ever played is WoW. I started at the start of bc and played until the start of cata. I loved the world, the quests, the dungeons, the raids even the arenas. Of course over time that changed and the game is something I don't recognize now but that's what drew me in and kept me playing for 3 1/2 years.

Hey TY OP for this thread I was just waiting for someone to start a Best thread. Thought about standing on my head to write this after all lets turn that frown updide down. But I love my evil smile. Anywho I agree WoW is the best MMO I ever played. Now for the Why part.

1. I loved the game it spin off that being Warcraft: Orcs and Humans a game ahead of its time back in 94 now here in 2012 WoW has been true to its humble begining. The Lore for that matter has kept true to form. Every xpac has not straid one bit and has improved on each and every patch that it is given to us every few month.

2. 10 million players cant be wrong. BTW  WoW  has the most popular MMORPG by subscribers which by the way is held by the Guinness book of records.

3. PVP rocks!!

4. Crafting rocks!!

5. Love the simple skill tree format now.

6. Love the very easy questing now. Forget the hours of questing that BC gave OMG so happy that chain quest are done away with.

7. Guilds!! Can find any type of guild to your style of play.

8. PVE Rocks!!

9. Best AH in a game hands down.

10. Mounts and pets lets not forget pet battles now!!!

Man I can go on and on about WoW being the best MMO ever but I dont feel like writing a 10 page reply right now.

• ZydariZydari Member UncommonPosts: 84

1. EQ - Nothing has come close to the intense excitement I got from this game at least thru Kunark

2. SWG - The freedom the players had to build a world hasn't been matched

3. WoW - played from vanilla to Cata and loved the World pvp but went downhill when they ended that

Experience demands that man is the only animal which devours his own kind, for I can apply no milder term to the general prey of the rich on the poor.

Thomas Jefferson

Originally posted by rivetman13
    Originally posted by Crazy_Stick

I am a hair trigger from just buying TSW and forcing myself to give it a real try. Your post makes me think I really should b/c those things you list are my fav parts of a MMO. Is there a crafting system worth a crap in it?

hehe sorry dont mean to hijack the thread, EQ1 still my fav 8P

I am kind of mixed on TSW's crafting system. I see it as useful for the occasional potion, to make some item you might need on the spot while out adventuring, and attaching gear modifications (glyphs.) It's not an in game mini-job like being a weapon smith in some games for example. 

If you like well done missions, dungeons, and story writing then I have to highly recommend you consider the game for those features. Buy to play at $20 bucks on average now... You have little to lose.

• hyllstarterhyllstarter Member UncommonPosts: 203
    SWG

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

1. Vanilla WoW and early BC (before the handholding and streamlining became extreme)

2. AOC Tortage, but for a questionable reason.  Excellent SP experience, best I've played since Half-Life.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • SorrowbringaSorrowbringa Member Posts: 8

EQ1 vanilla and kunark

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789

Since my MMO days started after the so called "golden years" (eq/UO). The best mmo I played was wow. Especially Bc-early WOTLK. Im a huge Warcraft fanatic, before Wow I played WC3 online religiously. Im also a huge WC lore nerd so playign wow was bound to happen. I picked up wow 2 weeks after BC launched so I got to experience all of BC and WOTLK. Wows world blew me away, while the quests are on rails the zones are not small by any means. When I hit 70 I became a huge raider. My favorite raid to this day is still karazhan because it had some truly hilarious and awesome enocunters.

When LK hit i was extremely excited as Arthas has always been my favorite WC villan. At the start of LK i chose to to shelve my moonkin and war and level a DK as im a sucker for the undead. The DKs stroy was awesome and I loved the class. At 80 I retunred to raidin on my DK and Boomkin up until the coloseum. After Ulduar the quality of the content took a nose dive. I mean the LK was killed ONE day after he was unlocked. I remember how long it took raids to kill illidan pre nerf. So when Cata hit I was done. Came back for a month for cata and MoP but after 5 years Ive had enough WoW unless they start innovating.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

This discussion has been closed.