Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Age of Conan: Unchained: F2P Option Retooled

Comments

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by Elsabolts
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Humm, I wonder if CCP folks might be getting abit nervous.

AoC has 50k players or less, and is in an entirely different genre of game from Eve. Why would CCP be nervous?

All of the game company's deciding to go F2P.

CCP tried to take one step down the f2p road. The players then made a quick vote with thier wallets. CCP learned the lesson.

Unless they tire of thier jobs you wont see EVE go f2p.

Of course they could still loose all thier players to f2p games, but i really doubt it will happen any time soon.

When the world went carebear, CCP catered for the few that wanted hardcore.

When the world goes f2p, CCP will cater for the few that wants p2p.

As long as you dont want to be king of the hill knowing your minorities will get you a long way.

• bigcheeseukbigcheeseuk Member UncommonPosts: 133
    So I paid to unlock classes in the past, now people get it for free. You'd think they would re-imberse the points or something.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
            SO it says every class is now free to "try"....Does that mean at some point you can no longer try and have to pay or did they just choose poor wording there?.....Even so, AoC did nothing for me...I was bored even in Tortage...Also when does AO get some love now that TSW and AoC have given players some new incentives?...Give me free shadowlands and I'll come back
  • mymmomymmo Member UncommonPosts: 311
    haha. you guys really suck without shame. a game gets better free to play options and you still moan and complain. you must be really alpha irl with your standards... poor companies to have you as "customer"
    Eve online and +1500 steam games in the back cataloge makes me a stressed out gamer.
  • cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    my guess is this is probably a lead up to a buy to play option for AOC since funcom is catching a lot of slack for dead servers in AOC and topics about putting in buy to play. If they make the game full on buy to play i will buy the expansion at regular price myself and i know of others that will also. It would be a good move to do this right as they can sell two titles instead of just TSW and rake in some extra cash on what would be a pretty dead game currently.
  • TBAiTBAi Member UncommonPosts: 12
    If they were to switch AoC to B2P I would definitely come back. I liked the game, but not enough to keep up a subscription.
  • KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    Originally posted by Dreskest
    Originally posted by black_isle
     Originally posted by hockey98
    Originally posted by Butch808
    Originally posted by darkbamy

Still need to pay for the expansion...then NO

My feelings exactly.

[mod edit]

[mod edit] He is talking about the issue in which customers who paid for the expansion are asked to pay for it again in order for it to be unlocked (and only weekly and for each zone seperately). So they are taking something away from you which you have already paid for and putting it behind a paywall and that is unacceptable.

I won't be going back unless they change this and find a solution for AA.

Just to clarify this for you : They did not take anything away from you. When game went f2p it was made perfectly clear that RotGS would remain available for subscribers only with an option for free players to access the content via weekly passes regardless of you buying the expansion previously or not.

Would it be better if they implemented something like the new TSW business model ? Probably yes, but it is what it is at the moment. What if Blizzard suddenly decided to extend WoW's f2p trial to include every expansion but MoP which would remain available for subbers only ?

I can guarantee that lots of people would happily drop their subscriptions and would still be complaining that Blizzard took away MoP from them (for those who paid for that expansion) when it would be clear from the beginning that MoP would not be part of the deal.

Sorry, but the truth is many people read or hear F2P and they immediately see themselves having access to everything without having to pay a cent, ever. Have you heard the saying : "Give them an inch, they want a mile".  I think it's perfectly valid in this case.

As for your AA concern, people who bought the RotGS expansion have access to the full AA system in AoC under the f2p model. The only option in the AA system unavailable for free players who own the expansion is the time trained feature. 

Ah, there's a clearer picture. I was perplexed thinking how could Funcom make their customers pay twice for expansions...

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by marz.at.play
    Would have preferred AoC go the B2P option similar to TSW but this is still a good step in the right direction. Now we have a better trial to 80. :)

Yeah, I still dislike the fact that people who purchased Rise of the Godslayer still cannot access the areas they purchased without a sub or a game pass. If they removed that restriction and made it B2P like TSW I would probably play AoC on the side.

• 3-4thElf3-4thElf Member Posts: 489

It wasn't a bad F2P to begin with. I played the game early on (I love Howard's Conan..) wasn't terribly blown away by the content and quit. There were some things I liked about the combat and some of the stories were interesting in a MMO sense.

I went back some time after F2P was live because I won a drawing for 50 bucks in game cash and probably still have 20 dollars worth of credits in the game.

Just never have been drawn back due to more interesting things to play out there. This is a pretty good way to generate interest. Might see if any of my MMO-crew is interested in picking it up and join them with a class I didn't play previously. 

a yo ho ho

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301
    And still no housing.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by Robokapp

hmmm. perplex...pre...PLEX.

You can play eve for free if you want with no restrictions.

one may even argue that paying your pilot license with real money is P2W...and PLEX is the intended rp-way to go.

nope, it's pay to cry XD, there have been people who have lost, that's right lost, hundreds if not thousands of dollars in plexes when they got ganked in their shuttles while being complete... well calling em noobs would be an insult to noobs, better form would be window licking people. True there are people who use plex to bankroll endeavours hell the plex system itself came into being as a reaction to a particular incident where an entire coalition of russian corps was funded by a real world russian mogul and we're talking thousands if not hundreds of thousands of dollars poured into the game and that guy quite literally tanked the then GTC market to the point where CCP had to step into correct the issue before gametime became too cheap (for fairly obvious reasons they want allot of people buying GTCs not just one dolts so to prevent a collapse of the market as people turned to illegal RMT to earn more isk for their bug they basically cleaned house, if I remember correctly they banned the russian guy for unsavoury/against EULA behaviour and bought all the plexes on the market, both from him and others, and put them up for higher prices to start the trend back up)

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778
    Good move. Now you can play all they way to lvl 80 and then decide if you want to sub or not;)
  • AreWeLiveAreWeLive Member UncommonPosts: 201
    Originally posted by lizardbones

AoC has 50k players or less, and is in an entirely different genre of game from Eve. Why would CCP be nervous?

All of the game company's deciding to go F2P.

Well i would not say a lot of successfull games have gone F2P, The majority of the main or bigger MMO's are still sub base, the biggest being Wolrd of warcraft.

When you see the biggest MMO's offer F2P it will be because they are not making the money they were, subs are down and its how they make a last effort to prolong the death of their game.

• umcorianumcorian Member UncommonPosts: 519

I think the whole F2P transition idea for a model that was released as Subscription-Based is kinda silly. If the game was fun, I'd pay $14.95 a month to play it. Why would I play a game that's not very fun just because they made it free and less enjoyable?  

It's a catch-22. If it was fun, it would have succeeded as a subscription-based game... but even as a free game, why would I play it?  

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    are f2p accounts allowed 4 char slots..thought it was 2 unless they changed it.would love to lvl another char up but all my slots are full with lvl 80's..if i delete 1 will that unlock a slot for levelling a char up or will it just give access to another lvl 80..ty in advance..also funcom c'mon b2p please on conan.would be there in a heartbeat full time.
  • dancingstardancingstar Member UncommonPosts: 362

Still 2 character slots for f2p accounts according to http://www.ageofconan.com/playfree/ which has been updated with the recent changes.

Heh, see the AoC launcher has finally stopped advertising pre-order for TSW.

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759
    I just downloaded AoC the other day and thought that it was a shame the limitations on the character creation. Nice to see many others thought the same and Funcom responded. I will have to put more time into the game now that I can try out the other classes. Thanks Funcom!

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ET3DET3D Member UncommonPosts: 325
    Originally posted by umcorian
    It's a catch-22. If it was fun, it would have succeeded as a subscription-based game... but even as a free game, why would I play it?  

I think that's no longer true. If a game is fun, it's no guarantee that it will succeed as a subscription-based game, simply because there are a lot of games which are free (or free to a large enough extent), and they are also fun. A game must be superb to succeed with subs these days, and I don't think it's really possible for a new game to have the level of content and polish required to compete with the F2P competition.

• ET3DET3D Member UncommonPosts: 325
    Originally posted by Robokapp

once they start making it cheaper, i know they stopped trying to make it better. So that's the model games go to die into.

It's the other way round most of the time. Most subscription games which moved to (hybrid) F2P have had quite a bit of development.

• rwyanrwyan Member UncommonPosts: 468

I also did not like the Khitai was always gated by the sub.  I myself purchased the expac and dropped my sub at some point.  In the context of f2p or whatever, I did purchase the "content" so I should be able to access it... no different than any bells and whistles like vanity gear you purchase from the cash shop.

This is one of the reasons why I have yet to return to AoC (that and the account I used for AoC was shutdown due to inactivity and reactivating it seemed like too much of a headache)

• WillyMac67WillyMac67 Member Posts: 1

I think the whole F2P transition idea for a model that was released as Subscription-Based is kinda silly. If the game was fun, I'd pay $14.95 a month to play it. Why would I play a game that's not very fun just because they made it free and less enjoyable?  

It may be a catch 22 for you, but not for all.  You don't find the game fun, but many do.  It's still my favorite MMO; it's just a matter of taste.  I don't blame you for not wanting to play it if you don't find it fun, even if it is free. 

There are so many MMO's on the market and many more in developement;  I think the subscription model is going to die out soon.  FtP & BtP are the model of future and I welcome it.  AoC will be BtP before the end of 2013; Funcom is thesting the model with TSW and it seems to be working.  I bought and subbed to TSW earlier in the fall, fun game but it had population issues at that time.  I lost my job and had to unsub; I went back went they went BtP and there are people everywhere.

Be patient people, AoC will be BtP soon; if not I will sub again when I get my financial situation fixed, I love the game!

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Originally posted by WillyMac67

It may be a catch 22 for you, but not for all.  You don't find the game fun, but many do.  It's still my favorite MMO; it's just a matter of taste.  I don't blame you for not wanting to play it if you don't find it fun, even if it is free. 

There are so many MMO's on the market and many more in developement;  I think the subscription model is going to die out soon.  FtP & BtP are the model of future and I welcome it.  AoC will be BtP before the end of 2013; Funcom is thesting the model with TSW and it seems to be working.  I bought and subbed to TSW earlier in the fall, fun game but it had population issues at that time.  I lost my job and had to unsub; I went back went they went BtP and there are people everywhere.

Be patient people, AoC will be BtP soon; if not I will sub again when I get my financial situation fixed, I love the game!

B2P is only working with TSW because it is still fairly new.......Not many would drop 30 bucks to play AoC.....Also TSw will be f2p at some point you can bank on that.

• Rthuth434Rthuth434 Member Posts: 346
    another hail mary. it's obvious that they can make more money on AoC than on TSW.