Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does it bother you if a non-native person joins your server?

CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

When a non-native person  (like me I guess) joins an English server, some people tend to get annoyed and frustrated,

-Is it because of that person's place of origin? Do you feel they won't be able to relate because of cultural differences?

-Is it because their English is often so bad that there's a real communication barrier?

-Is it because they write in their own language at times?

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353

If it means someone who learned English as a second language (or third or whatever) but does at least know English, then I see no problem with it, so long as they don't expect me to know some other language.  It's not like native English-speakers have flawless spelling and grammar on the Internet, either.

If it's someone who doesn't know English at all but wants to play on an English-language server, then it's more problematic.  If it's because there aren't any servers in any language that they do know and won't be anytime soon, then it's annoying, but I can at least understand why they do it and might plausibly do the same if I were in their situation.  If it's because there are servers in their own language but they want to play on English-language servers instead, then I'm not sympathetic and want them to go away.  The last case is likely to be gold farmers, anyway.

There can be pretty big cultural differences even among people whose native language is English.  So cultural differences apart from language are rarely much of a barrier.

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308
    Originally posted by CalmOceans

When a non-native person  (like me I guess) joins an English server, some people tend to get annoyed and frustrated,

-Is it because of that person's place of origin? Do you feel they won't be able to relate because of cultural differences?

-Is it because their English is often so bad that there's a real communication barrier?

option B for me.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

the only time i get annoyed when i run across someone who doesnt speak in english to me, is when im on a game that requires it (salem for trading/grouping up ect... or other games fps/rts/moba/kitchen sink) and they do nothing but talk in their language which shows up on my screen as  gibberish. (take asian kanji, that without the support pack shows as empty boxes or a mish mash of letters.  saying hello comes up as "ahg hiyg iuntted")

but generally as a rule i dont give 2 shits unless its an FPS where they have a 200+ ping that lags everything out.. for some reason (helllllllo CS >>")

• TolgeranthTolgeranth Member UncommonPosts: 16
    I have no issues with chat in another language. I do find it annoying when they ask for some form of assistance and they do not understand english enough to properly frame their request, or understand the assistance given. I get a sore head and key imprints after repeated face to keyboard wtf moments.
  • ezpz77ezpz77 Member Posts: 227
    Most foreign players I bump into make way more of an effort to learn English than I do their respective languages. This is 'Merica though... home of the fat, ignorant, and intolerant so it's really no surprise that people complain about it. Outside of having a hard time communicating with some foreign players, there is literally no downside. So to directly answer your question, it's a matter of communication, but I've found that most foreigners have, at least, a basic understanding of what I'm trying to say. I personally don't mind at all.
  • Sytek_88Sytek_88 Member UncommonPosts: 23
    only thing that bugs me is when they speak a foriegn language on a NA server in general chat
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Doesn't bother me at all. The only problem I could see would be following directions if coordination between players is needed. It would be handled the same way as anyone that wasn't "working out".
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500

Can't really tell you, I've never been anything like that. Despite my US orgins, I've been welcomed into a mostly Norweigan guild, fought deep into some of DAOC's toughest dungeons with people from Japan who spoke about 3 words of English (Heal, Run, Thanks) and have been part of multinational corps/alliances in EVE for many years.

Sure, I suppose some of it is language barrier, I've tried a few F2P's where it seems like most of the local chat got dominated by either Spanish or Portuguese, but so I guess that was no fun, but overall I don't have any issue, even when folks decide to chat in local in their native language a bit.

I do like to mess with folks sometimes though, if we're all chatting away in guild channel (or even local) in English and suddenly someone types a sentence in their native language (which I don't understand) I usually try to help them out by supplying my own translation, such as "Raul says he prefers pink lace panties to white, but doesn't mind if others enjoy g-strings".  Usually good for a few laughs.

Ignore the haters, playing on servers with multinational diversity is one reason why I enjoy this hobby so much, sort of like using a Ham radio, without quite so much static.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Roman291Roman291 Member UncommonPosts: 104
    Communication barriers are always annoying, but sometimes it is annoying if they do type in the different langauge. Especially on an english server, and in grouped chats like guild, group, or general. However, I usually don't express it.
  • jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    I played Darkfall with guys from Brazil, Netherlands, England, Germany, pretty much all over the place.  Even Canada.  Never had a problem communicating, and for the most part, they were all real cool fellas.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

That is what made FFXI so great,you played on multi cultural servers,there are no regional servers.

I couldn't care less about language,i had my best of times playing alongside JPN players and befriended a funny cool jpn player.FFXI has a language translator for msot of the major words in the game.

It really shows how care free devs are now days,they do very little to make their games complete ,still NOBODY using a language translator,FFXI the first and probably the last.Games are even getting too lazy to have guilds or prefer to make excuses why they don't.

Developers shoudl be trying to do as much as possible to bring the community together but instead the yaim for soloing and pvp whcih pits players competing rather than working together,i feel the premise behind game design is all wrong.

No where in life do you segregate cultures from one another,except maybe in chruches where they tend to stick to theri own but of course not always.So why in gaming?

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065
    It it bothered me, I'd like annoyed, considering that I am a non native person.. :)

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

In America, at least, the overall attitude is that everyone else in the world knows, or should know English. "We" expect everything to cater to us, including world-wide gaming. Many Americans cannot fathom that the world is not America. Look at how we handle international relations. We apply our own Bill of Rights, our laws to everyone else in the world ;)

In my experience, I often find that non-native English speakers (writers) are much better with the language than us native speakers :)

When I see in chat someone using a language that is not English, I am reminded about how far reaching the playerbase is. I fondly recall one of the members in my EQ guild was from Denmark. I was flabbergasted! And intrigued :) His English was better than many native speakers'.

I do not speak another language, though I have tried, and am envious of people who can.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,049
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

In America, at least, the overall attitude is that everyone else in the world knows, or should know English. "We" expect everything to cater to us, including world-wide gaming. Many Americans cannot fathom that the world is not America. Look at how we handle international relations. We apply our own Bill of Rights, our laws to everyone else in the world ;)

In my experience, I often find that non-native English speakers (writers) are much better with the language than us native speakers :)

When I see in chat someone using a language that is not English, I am reminded about how far reaching the playerbase is. I fondly recall one of the members in my EQ guild was from Denmark. I was flabbergasted! And intrigued :) His English was better than many native speakers'.

I do not speak another language, though I have tried, and am envious of people who can.

I had a dissertation chair who was born in Romania and it drove me nuts when he proofread my papers, he knew the technical aspects of the English language better than anyone I have ever known.

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509
    Why the hell would it bother me? I feel like I am a cultrual man. Love to learn.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    If they can't communicate with me, it's their loss.  They can go play a game in the correct region for their language.  When I go to Mexico, I speak Spanish.  When I went to Germany, I spoke German.  I expect people to speak English when playing in such an evironment.

You make me like charity

• synnsynn Member UncommonPosts: 563
    nope, it doesn't bother me when any legit player joins my server regardless of nationality or current residence.
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    I don't mind if you can speak the language fine, or if it doesn't directly interfere with the gaming experience. My issue is when your playing a competative game and your being unable to communicate threatening a chance to win due to this. Its mostly the language barrier that bothers, particularly if its needed in order to complete something.
  • WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778
    Originally posted by CalmOceans

I  usually join French, German and other non English servers and talk in english in general chat and refuse to speak their language.

I don't need to tell you that i am not the most popular guy over there. So i ask why those who refuse to converse in English on English servers get a free pass?

Don't believe? try it for yourself on a French server. And then tell me how much they like you.

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    No, because I am not a busybody.
  • SinellaSinella Member UncommonPosts: 343
    Originally posted by asmkm22
    If they can't communicate with me, it's their loss.  They can go play a game in the correct region for their language.  When I go to Mexico, I speak Spanish.  When I went to Germany, I spoke German.  I expect people to speak English when playing in such an evironment.

It' s very often not possible. My native language is not spoken by enough players to warrant a dedicated server, and there are a lot of languages like that. We have no other choice than to join an English speaking server, and the ones who don't speak English naturally try to communicate on their own languages. And since gaming companies can't give every languages their own server still they want these players to play there are usually no restrictions for native language usage on international servers.

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

NO it doesn´t bother me.

English is not my first language neither...sometimes i build sentences in a very funny way..but hey! they understand what i want to say.

That´s enough for me too wherever they come from & whatever language they speak.

Usually u find people from Europe of other countries outside USA to be a lot more permisive with that for a simple reason...they usually speak 2 or more languages...

Most americans speak only 1 fluid (sometimes :D)  language............... english.

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Can't really tell you, I've never been anything like that. Despite my US orgins, I've been welcomed into a mostly Norweigan guild, fought deep into some of DAOC's toughest dungeons with people from Japan who spoke about 3 words of English (Heal, Run, Thanks) and have been part of multinational corps/alliances in EVE for many years.

Sure, I suppose some of it is language barrier, I've tried a few F2P's where it seems like most of the local chat got dominated by either Spanish or Portuguese, but so I guess that was no fun, but overall I don't have any issue, even when folks decide to chat in local in their native language a bit.

I do like to mess with folks sometimes though, if we're all chatting away in guild channel (or even local) in English and suddenly someone types a sentence in their native language (which I don't understand) I usually try to help them out by supplying my own translation, such as "Raul says he prefers pink lace panties to white, but doesn't mind if others enjoy g-strings".  Usually good for a few laughs.

Ignore the haters, playing on servers with multinational diversity is one reason why I enjoy this hobby so much, sort of like using a Ham radio, without quite so much static.

I'm with Kyle.  I thoroughly enjoy all the time I've spent gaming with people from all sorts of nationalities speaking a broad range of languages and being of varied cultures.  It's one of the major reasons why I play...or used to play these games.  It does help that I speak a few different languages myself though so I can understand a fair bit.  If by chance I stumble across someone who speaks a language I'm unfamilliar with I will try and listen to see if I can parallel what they're saying to their actions and begin to extrapolate what the idea they're trying to convey might be.  I do this mostly because I see many languages start to borrow words from one another and implement them in their own be it as slang or as an every day word used normally.  You'd be amazed at how much you could get across even if you don't speak the same language but take the time to listen.

The HAM radio reference hits the nail right on the head.

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i dont mind, but if i dont understand then oh well, he / she can always find someone else that speaks the same language using general chat.

There still are mmos that only have english servers so if someone who doesnt speak english at all and still likes the game but the only server is in english then i dont see a reason why he should leave.... players didnt make the game so they dont tell who should play it. Hopefully Developers / publishers will expand more and more to many languages like WoW which has servers everywhere for their respective native languages.

EDIT: i refused to play in spanish servers for good. I sticked to english servers and my english improved significantly

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679
    The only time it bothers me is if we have no way of communicating with each other.

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**