Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Words you wish MMO players would stop using

grimgryphongrimgryphon Pacific Northwest, WAPosts: 682Member

What are the words that drive you crazy and why?

I guess my entry would be:

Hyperbole: Way too overused and usually incorrectly. It doesn't make you sound more intelligent.  Nothing says, "I'm in my first year at community college and I just learned a new word" like the term hyperbole.

Optional PvP = No PvP

Comments

• birdycephonbirdycephon Salt Lake City, UTPosts: 1,314Member
    Pay2win
  • corpusccorpusc Chattanooga, TNPosts: 1,330Member
    "MMO"

The End
    ---------------------------
    i don't expect to like Darkfall, altho i may like it MORE than other MMOs. i know it is gonna have a very frustrating level of grind to it, even if its significantly less than most. waiting for a pure FAST action virtual world. dice rolling & character levels (even "skills") IN COMBAT should have never carried over from pencil & paper to a computer that can reasonably model 3D spaces and objects

• IsturiIsturi Phoenix, AZPosts: 1,509Member
    Brb , lol, biobrk, pwn, gank, rape , afk, op. and any other stupid abbrivation that I can care less to remember at this time.

• ObiClownobiObiClownobi CoruscantPosts: 186Member
    Fun

"It's a sandbox, if you are not willing to create a castle then all you have is sand" - jtcgs

• dreamsofwardreamsofwar bangorPosts: 468Member
    Pro.
  • defector1968defector1968 Nar ShaddaaPosts: 393Member Common
    LOL
  • muffins89muffins89 Yakima, WAPosts: 1,306Member Uncommon
    plox

I think the prostitute mod corrupted your game files man. -elhefen

• DrakynnDrakynn The Pas, MBPosts: 2,030Member
    rediculous
  • patsfan32patsfan32 Little egg harbor, NJPosts: 31Member
    immersion and realism...there is nothing wrong with those 2 things as I would love to have them in a game, however people overuse those 2 words to complain about EVERYTHING
  • grimgryphongrimgryphon Pacific Northwest, WAPosts: 682Member
    Originally posted by defector1968
    LOL

League of Legends? image

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • redcap036redcap036 AdelaidePosts: 1,230Member
    Hardcore, carebear, fanboi, noobie these four words have cuased so much trouble, hatred and strife for players.
  • asmkm22asmkm22 Anchorage, AKPosts: 1,788Member
    Originally posted by grimgryphon

Hyperbole: Way too overused and usually incorrectly. It doesn't make you sound more intelligent.  Nothing says, "I'm in my first year at community college and I just learned a new word" like the term hyperbole.

Do you have an alternative to the word "hyperbole?"  The word is fine.  Hearing people try and pronounce it is kind of funny though.

You make me like charity

• kjempffkjempff AarhusPosts: 882Member Uncommon
    pro, gank, p0wn, dps, elite
  • grimgryphongrimgryphon Pacific Northwest, WAPosts: 682Member
    Originally posted by asmkm22

Do you have an alternative to the word "hyperbole?"  The word is fine.  Hearing people try and pronounce it is kind of funny though.

Exaggerate.

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • CecropiaCecropia The Great White North, ONPosts: 3,471Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by ObiClownobi
    Fun

Yes please! We're all on a website for video games for fuck's sake. It goes without saying that they are made to enjoy and have fun in.

Epic: holy crap how this one hasn't run it's course is beyond me.

Fail: here's one I see on the forums many, many times a day. Get some new material for the love of god.

Rose tinted anything: there is nothing clever or interesting about being the half billionth person to use this term.

One that I am thrilled to see almost extinct is the lovely cliche "at the end of the day...": just use "ummmmm". It has the exact same usage and it's much quicker to type.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

Exaggerate.

That word lacks the implied sarcasm or rhetoric that hyperbole conveys.  It would be like using the word fruit when you are talking about a banana.  Correct, but not accurate.

You make me like charity

• sk8chalifsk8chalif Montreal, QCPosts: 599Member Uncommon
    Derp

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

• tinoberserktinoberserk DordrechtPosts: 59Member Uncommon

Vet. Like they survived a tour of duty or something (or maybe i'm wrong and they're reffering to a healer class that takes care of sick animals)

Also the phrases starting with 'i was an alpha tester for.......'  bother me for some reason. I was an alpha tester for chess but you don't see me bragging about it. 

• soulmirrorsoulmirror Jax, FLPosts: 112Member
    " insert MMO here "  Killer.  Nothing for senseless that branding a game an XXX killer, you play a game because you want to play it or enjoy it, not because it crushes the competition.
  • YizleYizle Atlanta, GAPosts: 517Member
    chuck norris
  • KyleranKyleran Tampa, FLPosts: 19,977Member Uncommon

Exaggerate.

Great, not enough that MMO's are dumbed down to the lowest possible level these days, now you want to take our language there too. image

BTW, your use of hyperbole in your examples is quite good.  So is the irony of your OP.

In my day MMORPG's were so hard we fought our way through dungeons in the snow, uphill both ways.
    "I don't have one life, I have many lives" - Grunty
    Still currently "subscribed" to EVE, and only EVE!!!
    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ThorkuneThorkune Eastern, KYPosts: 1,828Member Uncommon

People now jump on me for calling my character a "toon". But, that's what I learned to call them from my guildies in SWG.

But...the term that I hate is "plox"

• dreamsofwardreamsofwar bangorPosts: 468Member
    rouge
    Originally posted by bigsmiff

People now jump on me for calling my character a "toon". But, that's what I learned to call them from my guildies in SWG.

But...the term that I hate is "plox"

I have always hated the term "toon."  Feels like I'm playing the game with a bunch of 11 year olds who just rode got back from the arcade to eat a balogne sandwich their mom made...

You make me like charity

• FearumFearum Cinnaminson, NJPosts: 1,166Member Uncommon
    Not only MMO players use it but its very annoying to hear from news anchors and on espn its got to be the most over used word today...EPIC